Recovered/Located Emergency rescue effort is launched for teen sailor Abby Sunderland, June 2010

Here's what the mother has to say:

"We're not wealthy people," she said. "What price would you put on a child's life?"

Someone needs to ask this mother this question, "What price did she and her husband put on this child's life?

Here's what the mother has to say:

"We're not wealthy people," she said. "What price would you put on a child's life?"

That is really ironic coming from her mother, at this point. IMO Abby's mother should have been thinking about that before she and the father gave their consent for this ill-fated trip. And the answer to that question should have been "Priceless" which would have meant the answer to Abby sailing around the worl alone at 16 years of age should have been "No." A loud and resounding "NO".

As soon as I heard about dad's reality show plans, I felt used. Very much like when the details of Balloon Boy came out.

I'm glad Abby is safe, and her trip didn't end in disaster, but I do wonder about her well-being as far as the bigger picture is concerned.

Shameful, shameful parents she has.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lan...y-cut-ties-with-tv-reality-show-producer.html

Family cuts ties with T.V. reality-show producer

"The father of Abby Sunderland, the 16-year-old girl whose solo sailing effort ended when her boat was damaged, cut ties with a company that planned to do a reality TV show about the family because he disagreed about the direction the producers were taking, he said Monday.

“There is no show at this time, nor will there be,” Laurence Sunderland said, addressing reporters outside the family's Thousand Oaks home."

"Long before Abby Sunderland set sail on her around-the-world attempt in January, Sunderland was approached by Magnetic Entertainment about the possibility of a reality show, he said. His wife, Marianne, was against it, he said, but they eventually agreed a show focusing on "inspiring kids doing inspirational things” was a story that needed to be told."

As soon as I heard about dad's reality show plans, I felt used. Very much like when the details of Balloon Boy came out.

I'm glad Abby is safe, and her trip didn't end in disaster, but I do wonder about her well-being as far as the bigger picture is concerned.

Shameful, shameful parents she has.

When I heard the breaking news about the "balloon boy", my instincts told me almost immediately that the circumstances were hinky. Not so with "sailor girl". These parents seemed genuinely supportive of their daughter's interest in sailing solo around the world. I, too, feel duped and used.

This case makes me want to smack the parents. I think that if the girl attempts this again, they should have to sign away the "right" to be rescued. So this girl is going to do this again and I'm SURE will have to be rescued again. This makes me SO mad. Reminds me of the case in Michigan (or somewhere up there) about all of these people having to be rescued from ice fishing - only to go back out the next day and have to be rescued again.

And (with heavy sarcasm) I'm so happy they support her....in being reckless with her life and all of those who had to rescue her. Why don't they wait until she's 18 to "support" her?

I didn't read far enough, but a 40 something foot boat is NOT cheap....prob. around $300,000...depending on the model.

They can go ahead and cry me a river. If they "support" her so much, they ought to be in a boat behind her and do the "rescuing" themselves. GAG!

Darwin awards, anyone?

Did mom and dad ever sail around the world to be experts for this poor girl?
It's like child abuse to me.
Wonder if she couldn't sleep? got sick? some pervert following her? pirates?
Are those parents CRAZY????
16 year olds that drive must be in at midnight on Cinderella license...........she was all alone 24/7 for weeks!!!

This case makes me want to smack the parents. I think that if the girl attempts this again, they should have to sign away the "right" to be rescued. So this girl is going to do this again and I'm SURE will have to be rescued again. This makes me SO mad. Reminds me of the case in Michigan (or somewhere up there) about all of these people having to be rescued from ice fishing - only to go back out the next day and have to be rescued again.

And (with heavy sarcasm) I'm so happy they support her....in being reckless with her life and all of those who had to rescue her. Why don't they wait until she's 18 to "support" her?

I didn't read far enough, but a 40 something foot boat is NOT cheap....prob. around $300,000...depending on the model.

They can go ahead and cry me a river. If they "support" her so much, they ought to be in a boat behind her and do the "rescuing" themselves. GAG!

Darwin awards, anyone?

I'm going to play devil's advocate with a huge caveat. Caveat: Something is skeevy about the parents. Possible fame and fortune became more alluring than logic and love for their daughter, I think. The sailing world knew the timing of Abby's trip was wrong and dangerous but if she didn't do it, she would not beat world records as youngest girl circumnavigating (although I believe a 16 year old Aussie girl just did it a couple months ago).
But............I don't necessarily have a problem with a 16 year old girl doing something as risky and challenging as solo sailing the world. It depends on who it is and the conditions. People give an age: 18 is the magical number most oft used. But that's just a government - imposed age mandate for many things and only in certain countries, like ours. Most parents know that kids don't magically become smarter, more logical, mature, at 18. It's just an arbitrary line governments created because, well, the line had to be somewhere.
"Kids" at 16 have historically married, raised families and worked farms, factories and fought in wars at that age. Pioneer girls typically got married around 16. Adolescence is an idea and a time period that we created in modern culture which did not exist before. We then raised kids to adapt to that created line.
The Sunderland kids are not like other kids who are raised in a protective bubble, as if they are fragile glass figurines. Abby has been on boats since 2 months old. These kids sailed all their lives and were home-schooled by their parents, so they have likely been around more adults than other kids their ages. They are thus likely more mature, level-headed and logical than other kids their age.
I am an overprotective, nervous type so I can't see myself ever letting my kids do such a thing. But I'm on the fence about the protective vs. independence-fostering parenting. I'm not sure my way is so good. Safe, but it may also be psychologically stunting.
Our kids are so coddled that I fear they could not adapt to real adversity if need be - to war, strife, disaster. I don't know.
In sum, I don't think the challenge of a teen circumnavigating the globe at this age is, in and of itself, negligent, abusive, etc. It's just that this particular trip and these particular parents may have been, due to $ signs and a desire for notoriety taking over where love and concern should have been.

OK, I love the idea that this girl was allowed to give this a shot. I grew up with parents who were very much of the no variety and all I see looking back is a string of missed opps. (Not risky stuff, one example is an invite I got to go to a very well-respected tennis camp in Bradenton to develop my game.)

However, reading the parents reasoning for asking for donations boggles my mind. That boat could not have been cheap. The supplies were not cheap. They had money for that. Didn't their son also try to set a record? Different boat, right? Plus, marina fees aren't cheap, either. So at some point, they had some dough. If they ran out, too bad. They should have planned for something like this. I don't care one way about the reality show other than I am pretty much ready for ALL of them to go away. If I NEVER see another Snooki pic .....

When I heard the breaking news about the "balloon boy", my instincts told me almost immediately that the circumstances were hinky. Not so with "sailor girl". These parents seemed genuinely supportive of their daughter's interest in sailing solo around the world. I, too, feel duped and used.

At least balloon boy parents did not actually stick their kid in the balloon.

Came across this while reading Psychology Today in regards to Abby SUnderland and what an appropriate response from her parents might have been (about sailing solo):

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...what-tell-your-daughter-who-wants-sail-around

Found it interesting.

Somehow I doubt many people have this kind of problem with their teenage children. Teenager by him or herself isn't going to be able to get a suitable boat, etc. If my child were to come to me and say she wants to sail around the world, I would simply say-in what? A tub? So the parents would have to be involved from the beginning in the whole process, and most likely the parents are encouraging the teenagers who actually do end up trying to sail around the world and not the other way around.

Wild Eyes — the sailboat abandoned by American Abby Sunderland in her failed bid to circumnavigate the world solo as a 16-year-old — has been found floating off of Australia's coast, nearly nine years after she was rescued in the Indian Ocean.

Seeing her boat again brought back a flood of emotions, says Sunderland, who is now 25.

"My heart skipped a beat. It brought back many memories — good and not so good — but it was neat to see it after so long," she said.

"It looked a little creepy, but that's to be expected after so long."

Sailboat From U.S. Teen's Doomed Round-The-World Attempt Found Drifting Off Australia

wild-eyes-overturned-from-vessel_custom-5a3fe50875ed6fa2c5ac823c5f642cacd8683000-s1600-c85.jpg

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back