Facial Masks - Coronavirus

My sister in San Diego is an RN and every day has positive c-19 patients at the clinic. She said she’s wearing 2 masks, a face shield and covered down to her toes with disposable PPE. I forgot to ask her about her skin.

Dermatologists share ways to beat 'maskne'
Yeah, I don't know why people don't use hypoallergenic detergent for their masks. I use All Free and Clear. AND I rinse it thoroughly.

Another note: a poster on WS had me convinced that satin would be too hot so I went for silk. Well, I finally tried a satin lining and it is not hot. It is breathable. And it is good protection as an inner layer. So don't hesitate to use it if you have skin irritation. It's also hella cheaper (and more humane) than silk.

Fabri-holic & fiber nerd here; used to do living history & sew for it.

Satin is a weave while silk is a fiber produced by silkworms & mulberry leaves.

https://www.masterclass.com/article...r-satin#what-are-the-characteristics-of-satin

Satin describes the weft threads passing over a set number of warp threads to create the smooth, shiny surface. (Denim & twill are examples of other weaves.)

Satin can be woven from silk, synthetics, and even wool.

https://www.masterclass.com/article...r-satin#what-are-the-characteristics-of-satin

Sateen is generally the same weaving pattern made with cotton. Typical cotton fibers are shorter, the fabric is not so shiny but makes a very good lining -- sturdy & smooth.

A silk filament can be nearly a mile long!

Using satin or satin for the face-side of the mask could alleviate some irritation, certainly. Some synthetic satins might hold heat & be uncomfortable. Some of us wore that shiny prom dress & sweated all night.

Upthread we talked about silk. Silk fibers don't collect moisture like cotton fibers. That's why we don't see silk towels. IIRC this is structural in the fiber and chemical -- something about the silk molecule repels many substances. This also is important in fabric dying, once you get color into silk that color stays; cotton will fade related to these differences.

These silk characteristics help with masks -- something about silk does provide a barrier for viruses, no idea what that is.

Rayon mimics silk in many ways. Rayon is made from plants, but by a chemical process so is not strictly considered a natural fiber. Rayon generally feels cool to the touch (don't remember why.) A smooth rayon fabric might be a good choice?

Probably more than you ever wanted to know about fabric & fiber!

I've used a thrift store silk blouse for a third inner layer in masks, after reading that silk was recommended due to those repellent properties. Water spotting & handling are problems with silk. Silk can wreck your sewing machine needle, and is tricky to wash. I used it as the inner layer of 3 so I don't have to see it after washing. I washed the used blouse in the washer in a lingerie bag, in defiance of the Dry Clean Only direction on the tag, continued my defiance by drying is in the dryer. The tee-shirt for the face side of the mask & the outer fabric were washed together, the way I laundry the finished masks, I wanted any shrinking to happen before the fabric was cut & sewn.

I cut the silk layer with the tee-shirt layer. This did help with handling.

Several of you here have helped many, many people stay safe be producing & sharing these masks. I am in awe of your determination & productivity! I my knowledge & my need to share anything & everything I know helps someone -- that's good.

Please forgive my wordiness!

Love you people!

My sister in San Diego is an RN and every day has positive c-19 patients at the clinic. She said she’s wearing 2 masks, a face shield and covered down to her toes with disposable PPE. I forgot to ask her about her skin.

Dermatologists share ways to beat 'maskne'
Yeah, I don't know why people don't use hypoallergenic detergent for their masks. I use All Free and Clear. AND I rinse it thoroughly.

Another note: a poster on WS had me convinced that satin would be too hot so I went for silk. Well, I finally tried a satin lining and it is not hot. It is breathable. And it is good protection as an inner layer. So don't hesitate to use it if you have skin irritation. It's also hella cheaper (and more humane) than silk.
Fabri-holic & fiber nerd here; used to do living history & sew for it.

Satin is a weave while silk is a fiber produced by silkworms & mulberry leaves.

Satin describes the weft threads passing over a set number of warp threads to create the smooth, shiny surface. (Denim & twill are examples of other weaves.)

Satin can be woven from silk, synthetics, and even wool.

Sateen is generally the same weaving pattern made with cotton. Typical cotton fibers are shorter, the fabric is not so shiny but makes a very good lining -- sturdy & smooth.

A silk filament can be nearly a mile long!

Using satin or satin for the face-side of the mask could alleviate some irritation, certainly. Some synthetic satins might hold heat & be uncomfortable. Some of us wore that shiny prom dress & sweated all night.

Upthread we talked about silk. Silk fibers don't collect moisture like cotton fibers. That's why we don't see silk towels. IIRC this is structural in the fiber and chemical -- something about the silk molecule repels many substances. This also is important in fabric dying, once you get color into silk that color stays; cotton will fade related to these differences.

These silk characteristics help with masks -- something about silk does provide a barrier for viruses, no idea what that is.

Rayon mimics silk in many ways. Rayon is made from plants, but by a chemical process so is not strictly considered a natural fiber. Rayon generally feels cool to the touch (don't remember why.) A smooth rayon fabric might be a good choice?

Probably more than you ever wanted to know about fabric & fiber!

I've used a thrift store silk blouse for a third inner layer in masks, after reading that silk was recommended due to those repellent properties. Water spotting & handling are problems with silk. Silk can wreck your sewing machine needle, and is tricky to wash. I used it as the inner layer of 3 so I don't have to see it after washing. I washed the used blouse in the washer in a lingerie bag, in defiance of the Dry Clean Only direction on the tag, continued my defiance by drying is in the dryer. The tee-shirt for the face side of the mask & the outer fabric were washed together, the way I laundry the finished masks, I wanted any shrinking to happen before the fabric was cut & sewn.

I cut the silk layer with the tee-shirt layer. This did help with handling.

Several of you here have helped many, many people stay safe be producing & sharing these masks. I am in awe of your determination & productivity! I my knowledge & my need to share anything & everything I know helps someone -- that's good.

Please forgive my wordiness!

Love you people!
Yes, I do know that satin is a weave. But most people understand it as satin being synthetic and silk natural, so that'show I explained it. I suppose I should have been more clear. I understand that there is satin silk, and that's what I was using initially. But there are all kinds of synthetic satin, and you obviously shouldn't use the heavy stuff in masks any more than you should use the really stiff silk in masks.

The point is that you can get the same results with the cheaper (and cruelty free) synthetic satin as you can with silk. I've tested it now. I also purchased some Rayon and various other soft synthetics to try. As these are always the pocket layer, the third layer in my masks, it is perhaps less important what I use than if it was a standard two layer mask.

I did get the knack for sewing silk, though. I just needed the right needles, plate, and foot. I got quite good at it. Using what I use for silk on these synthetic satins is actually making that easier as well.

New from CDC: Face masks should be worn in all indoor settings, except at home (clickondetroit.com)

Officials now advise ‘universal use of face masks’ amid US coronavirus surge

With the coronavirus spreading rapidly throughout the country in recent weeks, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is now recommending that Americans wear face masks while in any indoor setting apart from their home -- and even sometimes then.

On Friday, Dec. 4 the CDC published in a weekly report updated guidelines that recommend “universal use of face masks” as COVID-19 cases, hospitalizations and deaths climb across the nation at dangerous rates...

Checking in, and admiring all of the beautiful masks all of you have sewn!

I suspect we'll need masks through 1st Quarter 2021, and maybe 2nd Quarter.

JMVHO.
I wish I could be that optimistic, but I think we will be wearing masks for most of next year. Vaccine for the general public needs to be completed not to mention the continued pushback from those that won’t wear masks will rollover to not taking the vaccine. JMO

I wish I could be that optimistic, but I think we will be wearing masks for most of next year. Vaccine for the general public needs to be completed not to mention the continued pushback from those that won’t wear masks will rollover to not taking the vaccine. JMO
I agree. I think that's why people keep ordering masks from me. At this point, it's a long-term investment.

I've gotten gobs of new fabric, but since everyone is wild about this one, I thought I'd post it here. I can get 3 or 4 different cat masks out of this fabric. For instance, there's a cat couple in wedding attire on a bike that is on a third mask not shown here.

Attachments

• IMG_16122020_205940_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg
    IMG_16122020_205940_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_16122020_205927_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg
    IMG_16122020_205927_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 17
I sent masks to 8 states this week (plus my own state): Iowa, Arizona, Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, North Carolina, Virginia, and Louisiana. I know all but two of these folks in real life. I didn't get tracking numbers this time, so I'm just winging it and enjoying the Facebook posts as people post their masks when they arrive.

I sent masks to 8 states this week (plus my own state): Iowa, Arizona, Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, North Carolina, Virginia, and Louisiana. I know all but two of these folks in real life. I didn't get tracking numbers this time, so I'm just winging it and enjoying the Facebook posts as people post their masks when they arrive.

I have some well-made cloth masks but I don't like how they get damp or even wet around my mouth. So I mostly wear the paper medical masks instead. I must need a design that holds the mask away from my nose and mouth somehow.

I have some well-made cloth masks but I don't like how they get damp or even wet around my mouth. So I mostly wear the paper medical masks instead. I must need a design that holds the mask away from my nose and mouth somehow.
I don't have that problem with mine. I'll see if I can find a photo that shows the shape while on the face.

ETA - this is what they look like on my face.

Attachments

• 20201219_224442.png
    20201219_224442.png
    417.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 20201219_224346.png
    20201219_224346.png
    900.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

People I know use these

61a9NpdBZZL._AC_UL320_.jpg
https://www.amazon.com/Comfortable-...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

no endorsement, folks

There is also a way to include a strip of plastic needlepoint canvas in the mask , causing the mask to arch away from the mouth

There is mask design -- I haven't tried this one -- with vertical pleats instead of horizontal. This, too arches the mask over the mouth.

Good instructions & video for a mask the should mainly stay off one's face:

https://www.sailrite.com/how-to-sew-diy-face-mask

jmho ymmv lrr

People I know use these

https://www.amazon.com/Comfortable-...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

no endorsement, folks

There is also a way to include a strip of plastic needlepoint canvas in the mask , causing the mask to arch away from the mouth

There is mask design -- I haven't tried this one -- with vertical pleats instead of horizontal. This, too arches the mask over the mouth.

jmho ymmv lrr

Thank you, Laughing! I'll investigate these.

People I know use these

no endorsement, folks

jmho ymmv lrr
Somebody gave me one but I haven’t tried it yet. My boss was all excited about his inserts one day, then I never saw him use them again. So I’m not sure if they are comfortable for a full day or not. I haven’t tried it because I have skin issues and I don’t want to mess with what is currently working. If any of you have worn them for a full work day, I’d be curious to know how it feels. I don’t know why, but I suspect they would make my face sweat (and I’m already dealing with hot flashes).

Okay, so I have a bunch of different masks, I've seen YouTube videos about how to help them not fog up when wearing glasses, but I haven't needed to worry about it as much because I stay home and rarely need to wear a mask...

Now I have to go on a flight and will HAVE to wear a mask for a continuous 3 or more hours and I'm worried about my glasses fogging up like they always do. I understand people have been doing this for over a year now and have to wear them for 8-10 hours (or more) a day, I've been lucky (if you can call being a hermit lucky, lol) that I haven't had to do that.

I've been watching the Derek Chauvin Trial and see that the Judge and the Defense Attorney both have glasses and have different masks than I've seen - they seem like there's something there (more than just the nose-wire thing) that helps their glasses not fog up - it seems to sit further away from their face or something.

Looking for advice on the best mask to buy (preferably on Amazon) for someone who wears glasses. All of my searches just show the "standard" masks.

Please - if you wear glasses and have tried many different masks over the last year, what would you recommend??

I hate traveling to begin with (well, I hate leaving my house, so there's that...) - now the anxiety about having to wear a mask for hours on end (other than just the flight), for a few days in a row, I'm really feeling anxious and would feel a little better if I had some good recommendations!

Again, if you found yours on Amazon, that would be most ideal, but I'm willing to purchase them from anywhere if they come highly recommended from my fellow WS'ers!!

Thanks gang!

I have a bunch of homemade masks that I made. I never had a purchased mask till a few weeks ago when I forgot to bring one and my son gave me one of his. I found my glasses fog up with the purchased one with the strip of metal just like with the homemade ones. The masks that seem to not fog up at all or very little are the ones that I have went back and altered to fit my face snugly.

Okay, so I have a bunch of different masks, I've seen YouTube videos about how to help them not fog up when wearing glasses, but I haven't needed to worry about it as much because I stay home and rarely need to wear a mask...

Now I have to go on a flight and will HAVE to wear a mask for a continuous 3 or more hours and I'm worried about my glasses fogging up like they always do. I understand people have been doing this for over a year now and have to wear them for 8-10 hours (or more) a day, I've been lucky (if you can call being a hermit lucky, lol) that I haven't had to do that.

I've been watching the Derek Chauvin Trial and see that the Judge and the Defense Attorney both have glasses and have different masks than I've seen - they seem like there's something there (more than just the nose-wire thing) that helps their glasses not fog up - it seems to sit further away from their face or something.

Looking for advice on the best mask to buy (preferably on Amazon) for someone who wears glasses. All of my searches just show the "standard" masks.

Please - if you wear glasses and have tried many different masks over the last year, what would you recommend??

I hate traveling to begin with (well, I hate leaving my house, so there's that...) - now the anxiety about having to wear a mask for hours on end (other than just the flight), for a few days in a row, I'm really feeling anxious and would feel a little better if I had some good recommendations!

Again, if you found yours on Amazon, that would be most ideal, but I'm willing to purchase them from anywhere if they come highly recommended from my fellow WS'ers!!

Thanks gang!

here is a link with some ideas....I made my masks a bit taller to fit under my glasses and then adjust the wire tight on the nose.

then the medical community, when in surgery especially, use soap and water....it’s listed in the link below.

How to Keep Your Glasses From Fogging Up While Wearing a Mask – Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic

I have a bunch of homemade masks that I made. I never had a purchased mask till a few weeks ago when I forgot to bring one and my son gave me one of his. I found my glasses fog up with the purchased one with the strip of metal just like with the homemade ones. The masks that seem to not fog up at all or very little are the ones that I have went back and altered to fit my face snugly.

Thanks for the reply! I can do minor hand-sewing, but nothing that would require a sewing machine or seamstress knowledge, lol! What kind of "altering" did you find helped with the glasses not fogging?

Sorry guys, didn't realize there was a whole thread for this - I've been away from WS for a looong time, obviously! I will start from the beginning on this thread hoping to find some suggestions of ones to purchase.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M.Lee
Back