Family wants to keep life support for girl brain dead after tonsil surgery #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
ITA but legally it matters very much. A non-medical person can claim ignorance of the harm they could cause by doing what they saw the RN do. A licensed healthcare provider cannot. It's one thing to go above and beyond your scope of practice in a life and death emergency when nobody qualified is around to do the life saving procedure. That can't be claimed in a hospital where qualified practitioners are a call button away and within eyesight of the patient.

Today it finally hit me (duh-I know) that there is a real POSSIBILITY
that someone in the family POSSIBLY gave a little bite
of something to Kahi that caused her to choke. Possibly causing her to choke and gasp for air....something that would throw the family into a frightening panicky tail spin.

Can you imagine the fright of the family IF
that happened?

Just a guess, but I suppose hospitals with ronald mcdonald houses/rooms probably couldn't/wouldn't object to having a restaurant on the premises.

True, and a hospital would be showing kindness to its families by offering food that they would want to eat.

I've lost track of who speculated it was unlikely for a McDonalds to be in the hospital - there was one at Childrens Memorial Hospital in Chicago at few years ago.

"McDonald’s says it has restaurants in 27 U.S. hospitals. Children's Hospital Los Angeles and Riley Hospital for Children, both on our list, host McDonald’s. Other children's hospitals with McDonald’s include Children's Minneapolis, Kosair Children's Hospital in Louisville, Ky., Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital in Hollywood, Fla., and Rady's Children's Hospital San Diego."

But, don't they all have a place outside to sit down and eat? You don't have to take it away. jmo

True, and a hospital would be showing kindness to its families by offering food that they would want to eat.

Not sure what you mean by "that they would want to eat." McD's is pretty much the last thing I, personally, would want to eat. And I hope I'm not alone in that! Regardless, there are much better ways to show kindness than offering stressed out family's of critically ill children junk food made from things that don't occur in nature lol

But, if they do, they do. I'm sure there's a cost/benefit analysis involved. jmo

Google map of "McDonald's near Children's Hospital Oakland, CA":

http://goo.gl/maps/EYzJj
EYzJj

Green arrow is hospital
"A" pointer is McDonald's
maps

Just to dispel the myth that only completely healthy food is ensconced inside the hallowed walls of respected research hospitals, The World Famous Cleveland Clinic has a McDonalds inside, right by the elevators going up to patient floors. My father had a ton of surgery there, and we would always stop and get him a hot fudge sundae on the way up, once he was allowed to eat a regular diet. ;)

But never, ever, not one single time did I bring it into the PACU or ICU, nor did I feed it to him, or try to suction him. I pinky swear. Just for the record, and all. ;)

I was mean enough to make him do his incentive spirometer before he could eat it. >;)

Nice pic of the white coated professionals here!

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/20...-chains-in-cafeterias-put-hospitals-in-a-bind

Not sure what you mean by "that they would want to eat." McD's is pretty much the last thing I, personally, would want to eat. And I hope I'm not alone in that! Regardless, there are much better ways to show kindness than offering stressed out family's of critically ill children junk food made from things that don't occur in nature lol

But, if they do, they do. I'm sure there's a cost/benefit analysis involved. jmo

I hate McDonalds personally, but if a hospital has a cafeteria AND a fast food place (like CMof Chicago), those families that would not want the healthier choices will be able to get something to eat without leaving the hospital.

But, don't they all have a place outside to sit down and eat? You don't have to take it away. jmo
No, no need to take the food away. Except if a child was in surgery, maybe one parent would get food (cafeteria or FF) and bring it up so they could wait together. I don't think there is anything wrong with bringing food into a family waiting room.

Just to dispel the myth that only completely healthy food is ensconced inside the hallowed walls of respected research hospitals, The World Famous Cleveland Clinic has a McDonalds inside, right by the elevators going up to patient floors. My father had a ton of surgery there, and we would always stop and get him a hot fudge sundae on the way up, once he was allowed to eat a regular diet. ;)

But never, ever, not one single time did I bring it into the PACU or ICU, nor did I feed it to him, or try to suction him. I pinky swear. Just for the record, and all. ;)

I was mean enough to make him do his incentive spirometer before he could eat it. >;)

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/20...-chains-in-cafeterias-put-hospitals-in-a-bind

All the docs look pretty good.

And they do have a RMH at the Children's Hospital of Cleveland Clinic. I really do wonder if that's the connection, or if there are any hospitals w/ a McD's and no RMH affiliation...hmmm

http://www.rmhcleveland.org/ronald-mcdonald-family-room-at-cleveland-clinic-childrens-hospital1

eta: this from another link (snipped and bbm)

The children’s hospital where I work recently announced it will be getting rid of its onsite McDonald’s. The restaurant will be out by the end of the year. It joins a long line of hospitals that have ejected their golden arches, including Parkland Hospital in Dallas, Vanderbilt Hospital in Nashville, Lurie Children’s Hospital in Chicago, and the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia. The Cleveland Clinic once tried to do so, but couldn't get out of its contract.

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...onalds-belong-in-a-childrens-hospital/281398/

I'll stop with the o/t after this...promise :). I find this interesting, though

The hospital here has a RMD house and no McD's.

I guess this answers the question, straight from the horse's mouth:

“Like any business, when the restaurant is in or on the hospital campus, we lease the space and pay rent,” said Dr. Cindy Goody, McDonald’s senior director of nutrition. Follow the money — the marriage between fast food and children’s hospitals is, at its root, a side effect of competitive market forces in healthcare. Extra money is something that’s always necessary in pediatric healthcare, as volumes of kids need more attention, even as the money paid by insurers and the government declines. Hospitals need to make up the difference. As one researcher put it: “The incorporation of McDonald’s into a hospital environment must be seen … as a compromise between health and economic goals, a compromise that may have been avoided in other financial climates.”

http://www.salon.com/2011/09/19/poprx_mcdonalds/ (bbm)

okay, now I REALLY promise to be done :blushing:

Sheeshers you should have kept quiet! That way when you were able to walk YOU could have gone into the stairwell to have a cigarette too! Course maybe because of the baby thing you weren't smoking but still, why ruin what little is left for others.

These days you have to leave the "property" to have a cigarette and that means it is impossible for patients (course these days we also have e-cigs, the hospitals will no doubt eventually try to ban those too but until they start strip searching patients they won't be able too).

I was just jokin' about the cig! I am not now, nor have I ever been a smoker. My son was born about 5 weeks before a state law went into effect banning all smoking from hospital premises.

No, no need to take the food away. Except if a child was in surgery, maybe one parent would get food (cafeteria or FF) and bring it up so they could wait together. I don't think there is anything wrong with bringing food into a family waiting room.

And nor do I, but that is not what we have been discussing. And Lord knows if you are waiting for someone in surgery, at least for me, I want to eat. But, then again, the cafeteria is not far away. jmo

It's at the bedside in case of emergency. Nobody had to give it them.

I meant who is the "they" Dolan is referring to when he said "they" gave the suction device to the family.

:)

And nor do I, but that is not what we have been discussing. And Lord knows if you are waiting for someone in surgery, at least for me, I want to eat. But, then again, the cafeteria is not far away. jmo

I also prefer to take a walk and kill time by going to the cafeteria. But I know some people prefer to stay glued to their waiting room chair.

Legal question if you please. If the hospital is sued by the family, won't the hospital decide if they wanted a jury trial or to be heard in front of the judge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cayteamuhree