FBI considering hate crime charges against Zimmerman #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent post Rotterdam. From looking online it appears that the federal hate crime act passed into law in 2009 has been rarely used. So I'm wondering if this case has enough merit for the feds to charge GZ with it. I would assume that there must be a lot more cases that are in obvious violation of the federal hate crime act. Why is this hate crime prevention act not being used? Is it only used when it serves a political purpose? JMO.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Shepard_and_James_Byrd,_Jr._Hate_Crimes_Prevention_Act

It seems to me that it was put in place to tack on additional punishment if the feds think the defendant got off too lightly. Personally, I'm really torn on hate crime legislation because I believe that it was enacted to protect only some Americans and not all Americans which, to me, seems like a basic human rights violation.

JMO, OMO, and MOO

If Zimmerman's other friends and acquaintances are anything like Taaffe is representing himself to be on twitter, he's a big world of trouble where a hate crime is concerned. IMO

How FT or any so-called "friends" of GZ represent themselves has absolutely no bearing on this case. FT is not on trial. And, AFAIK, the feds aren't investigating him for hate crime charges.

JMO, OMO, and MOO

Excellent post Rotterdam. From looking online it appears that the federal hate crime act passed into law in 2009 has been rarely used. So I'm wondering if this case has enough merit for the feds to charge GZ with it. I would assume that there must be a lot more cases that are in obvious violation of the federal hate crime act. Why is this hate crime prevention act not being used? Is it only used when it serves a political purpose? JMO.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Shepard_and_James_Byrd,_Jr._Hate_Crimes_Prevention_Act

I suspect it will be only used (like the proverbial stick behind the door) if at the State level due to local politics and/or Pinellas type jury , an acquittal is obtained for the defendant(s) of a rather heinous hate crime. And such a lost case could result in serious civil unrest if left alone. And remember double jeopardy does not apply.

How FT or any so-called "friends" of GZ represent themselves has absolutely no bearing on this case. FT is not on trial. And, AFAIK, the feds aren't investigating him for hate crime charges.

JMO, OMO, and MOO

"Show me who a man's friends are and I will tell you who he is." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Only a jury has to hear all the facts and judge fairly, honorably and honestly. Sometime a poster only has to hear someone has told a lie and that person who lied loses all credibility. Each lie confirms their opinion. Justice comes by way of the legal court system not by following someone when you're asked not to, finding yourself in an altercation and ending it by shooting that person. I think a straightline shot through the chest was all I needed to know about this shooting. jmo

.....sad.

This problem is between two people and anyone who
paints either one of them by color is not dealing with this case.

God Bless Rosa Parks, MLK and all those who did make a difference
in civil liberties. GOD is definitely looking upon them kindly.

This case has nothing to do with any of it.

That, however, is not my opinion.

This problem is between two people and anyone who
paints either one of them by color is not dealing with this case.

God Bless Rosa Parks, MLK and all those who did make a difference
in civil liberties. GOD is definitely looking upon them kindly.

This case has nothing to do with any of it.

And God bless Trayvon Martin. May he rest in peace. This case is about the shooting and killing of a young black man by a white man who was offended by the victim's skin color and location.

It seems to me that it was put in place to tack on additional punishment if the feds think the defendant got off too lightly. Personally, I'm really torn on hate crime legislation because I believe that it was enacted to protect only some Americans and not all Americans which, to me, seems like a basic human rights violation.

JMO, OMO, and MOO

I think it is a safety net to hold rogue State judicial districts accountable in hate crimes. It allows the Feds to intervene in many more questionable local cases than before, the way I interpret that law...
Wonder if the Daniel Adkins case is on their radar since he was mentally disabled.

Maybe we should honor our ancestors by treating ALL AMERICANS as we would wish to be treated: Fairly, honorably, honestly, and with even-handed Justice. Waiting to decide until all the information is in--hearing all the facts.
Treating all people equally, without bias, without malice.

"Equal Justice Under the Law" and equality everywhere else.

This makes no sense to me. If you are going to argue from the point of relativity, then I don't see how fair or 'even-handed' it is post on a forum at all, considering that all human beings are biased.

Laws against hate crimes exist for a reason.

He was out in the driveway. He Could have stayed inside. He could have waited for police. Why didn't he stay inside like you want GZ to stay in his car?

Do we know if e ever bullied anyone, what medications he was on...if he ever used ethic slurs against Whites? Maybe the Feds should be pursuing this? If he DID...he might have profiled this nice White teen. Would he have shot a Black teen?

We want ALL hate crimes treated equally, right? Is it fair that GZ has received scrutiny that this Man has not?

This man was in his own home. Why would you fault someone when they are threatened in their own home? GZ wasn't in his home. He interferred and placed a profile (criminal) on a young man who was just trying to walk home. He stopped that from happening because he did target this man and proceeded to pursue him. You can't justify what GZ did. He had no authority to stop this man and question him. The only authority he was given was to call it in. That was it. No patroling, no chasing, no following, nothing other than calling it in. GZ was not able to handle himself during a confrontation. He was not trained, not prepared to handle the situtation and that made him dangerous.

I would hope gun owners know enough to stay away from confrontations unless you think there is an expectation that a life is involved. GZ had no expectations of this and yet he caused it to happen. Guns don't kill people, people kill people. jmo

A young man who SAW GZ in his car and took off running. And he had EVERY authority to walk around following TM. Nothing preventing that. As far as the confrontation, seems GZ handled himself pretty well. He was attacked, he defended himself.

Stay away from confrontations? Really? So he was WATCHING TM, and that gave TM the right to ATTACK him?

This thread is about hate crime charges being considered against GZ. Lets get back to that topic.

Thank you

Ima

A young man who SAW GZ in his car and took off running. And he had EVERY authority to walk around following TM. Nothing preventing that. As far as the confrontation, seems GZ handled himself pretty well. He was attacked, he defended himself.

Stay away from confrontations? Really? So he was WATCHING TM, and that gave TM the right to ATTACK him?
BBM

I've asked before, and I'll ask again, what evidence exists that TM attacked or initiated a confrontation that didn't come from George Zimmerman? I'm not asking about evidence that certainly exists as to who got the upper hand in the physical aspect of this confrontation, but what witness or reasonable circumstance exists that compels the statement that TM attacked GZ?

If an accused murderer's statements have serious problems regarding WHEN he says the confrontation happened, WHERE he says the confrontation happened, and, to a certain extent, HOW he says the confrontation happened, is it reasonable or logical to accept as absolute WHY he says the confrontation happened?

He was out in the driveway. He Could have stayed inside. He could have waited for police. Why didn't he stay inside like you want GZ to stay in his car?

Do we know if e ever bullied anyone, what medications he was on...if he ever used ethic slurs against Whites? Maybe the Feds should be pursuing this? If he DID...he might have profiled this nice White teen. Would he have shot a Black teen?

We want ALL hate crimes treated equally, right? Is it fair that GZ has received scrutiny that this Man has not?

The discovery material also reveals allegations that Zimmerman bullied a former co-worker which, Crawford says, could also be relevant at trial.

“You describe him as a bully?” an investigator asks the unnamed former co-worker. “Yes,” he replies. "And did you feel bias towards yourself? “Yes, and that is because I was an easy target for him,” the former co-worker responds.

Read more: http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/ne...ys-george-zimmerman-was-a-bully#ixzz1vhNumuP3

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/videogallery/70001303/News/Co-worker-described-Zimmerman-as-bully

.....sad.

IMHO.. Its more than sad we now know a straightline shot through the chest at an intermediate range is what killed an unarmed teenager who I suspect was attempting to get away from an out of control... EGO driven... crazed man with a gun..IMHO It is blatantly obvious GZ made a decision that night to hunt down Trayvon Martin.. IMHO a straightline shot to the heart using a hollowpoint bullet constitutes being cold blooded murder..GZ deserves to spend the rest of his natural born days locked up behind bars. JMHO

The discovery material also reveals allegations that Zimmerman bullied a former co-worker which, Crawford says, could also be relevant at trial.

“You describe him as a bully?” an investigator asks the unnamed former co-worker. “Yes,” he replies. "And did you feel bias towards yourself? “Yes, and that is because I was an easy target for him,” the former co-worker responds.

Read more: http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/ne...ys-george-zimmerman-was-a-bully#ixzz1vhNumuP3

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/videogallery/70001303/News/Co-worker-described-Zimmerman-as-bully

This was in reference to a post that was deleted about a case where a Black man killed an unarmed white teen.

But the Dooley case is more pertinent. It is a SYG case in Fla. Only the races are reversed. Mr. Dolley is awaiting trial. My questions are:

1. should the Feds be looking into possible Hate crime charges in this case because it involes two different races

2. should the groups this Black man belongs to, his friends and enemies be equally scrutinized? shouldn't their be aninvestigation into evetything he has said or written to see if White Hate could be involved?

Both cases have tragic deaths, people grieving, only oneperson withnagun...should they not be treated the same by our government no matter WHAT SKIN HUE? We are all citizens.

3. And should all this and the media reports about Mr. Dooley's words and actions precede his trial as they have with GZ?

By thevway, of we are all equal, discussing the way two cases in Fla are being treated at the same time is FAIR and pertinent to the discussion of Gz.s treatment. We cannot discuss one case and ignore the disparity.

Every case that goes to trial cites precedent. Examples of unequal treatment are part of any fairvdiscussion. This case cannot be wrapped in tissuevand protected from other cases RIGHT NOW IN FLA.

This disparity is a fair and worthy topic of whether hate crimes charged should be filed.

This was in reference to a post that was deleted about a case where a Black man killed an unarmed white teen.

But the Dooley case is more pertinent. It is a SYG case in Fla. Only the races are reversed. Mr. Dolley is awaiting trial. My questions are:

1. should the Feds be looking into possible Hate crime charges in this case because it involes two different races

2. should the groups this Black man belongs to, his friends and enemies be equally scrutinized? shouldn't their be aninvestigation into evetything he has said or written to see if White Hate could be involved?

Both cases have tragic deaths, people grieving, only oneperson withnagun...should they not be treated the same by our government no matter WHAT SKIN HUE? We are all citizens.

3. And should all this and the media reports about Mr. Dooley's words and actions precede his trial as they have with GZ?

With respect, THIS thread is about the Trayvon Martin case.

Right, you are absolutely right. A person has no rights when they come up against someone with a gun. I can see it all clearly now.

Maybe the laws should be changed to no more concealing weapons. If you have a license to carry it should be fully visible just like a police officer. I mean if you are going to do the job you just called LE to do, why not have that gun out so people will know they have no right to defend themselves against you. There you have it. TM would have never died had the gun been fully visible because he would know for sure if he moved one inch or didn't answer GZ's questions, GZ would probably shoot him. That would have leveled the playing field.

If you claim GZ had a right to defend himself because of fear, TM should have been afforded the same right. We know he was already fearful and GZ found him hiding. Carrying a gun requires a great deal of responsibility. One of those would be to let LE do their job and not decide to pursue "your" suspect on your own disregarding a direction from LE. He was not helping people, he was creating his own confrontation. jmo

By thevway, of we are all equal, discussing the way two cases in Fla are being treated at the same time is FAIR and pertinent to the discussion of Gz.s treatment. We cannot discuss one case and ignore the disparity.

Every case that goes to trial cites precedent. Examples of unequal treatment are part of any fairvdiscussion. This case cannot be wrapped in tissuevand protected from other cases RIGHT NOW IN FLA.

This disparity is a fair and worthy topic of whether hate crimes charged should be filed.

Every case which goes to trial does not cite precedent. Some cases set precedent where none existed before. However, the law which gives the Federal Goverment jurisdiction in hate crime cases is well established by precedent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks