Final Autopsy and Toxicology Report

rsbm --

Yes, we may never have an answer to 'why', as this is likely something so deeply personal, as is much mental illness. But at this point, we do have an answer for 'how', which may be phrased in different ways: on her own accord; by her own doing; by her actions alone.

Nobody else had any responsibility for the events immediately leading up to her death.

I'm sorry, but it does not require a whacky conspiracy theory to postulate that someone placed her in that tank. The fact that she drowned does not preclude another person being involved. The fact that she had no significant marks on her body does not preclude another person being involved. If we were to weigh possibilities, such as in percentages, the investigators conclusion of accidental death is probably a higher percentage than most other possibilities, but it does not rule them out either. Personally I think the speculation is just a waste of our time at this point. Unless there are further details in the police report that someone here is working on getting, or the lawsuit that the family has filed against the hotel, there's really no stone left unturned. Most likely, this case will simply remain unsolved, with some theories significantly stronger than others, but none entirely proven by the evidence.

I'm sorry, but it does not require a whacky conspiracy theory to postulate that someone placed her in that tank. The fact that she drowned does not preclude another person being involved. The fact that she had no significant marks on her body does not preclude another person being involved. If we were to weigh possibilities, such as in percentages, the investigators conclusion of accidental death is probably a higher percentage than most other possibilities, but it does not rule them out either. Personally I think the speculation is just a waste of our time at this point. Unless there are further details in the police report that someone here is working on getting, or the lawsuit that the family has filed against the hotel, there's really no stone left unturned. Most likely, this case will simply remain unsolved, with some theories significantly stronger than others, but none entirely proven by the evidence.

I think the reason some of these foul-play theories sound "whacky" is because there is nothing (no evidence) that point to her being murdered. When there is no scientific evidence or any evidence at all to support a crime being committed; people tend to have to make things up and in the process come up with some pretty far-out stories, beliefs and theories.

If we were to weigh possibilities, such as in percentages, the investigators conclusion of accidental death is probably a higher percentage than most other possibilities, but it does not rule them out either. Personally I think the speculation is just a waste of our time at this point. Unless there are further details in the police report that someone here is working on getting, or the lawsuit that the family has filed against the hotel, there's really no stone left unturned.

If the family truly believed it murder, they would not be suing the hotel. Perhaps we could respect their wishes.

edited to add: <mod snip>. Within the rules of WS, and using only the evidence we have, please explain how this happened, and just as importantly, why you think this is the case, despite all of the expert evidence to the contrary.

I think some people are disappointed by the fact that the answer to a seemingly complicated case is much simpler than they thought it would be: Elisa got onto the rooftop and willingly climbed into the water tank and died as a result of drowning. I also think it's not fair to her family that people who didn't even know their daughter come up with all sorts of gruesome theories about her death. It must be hard for them to accept what she did and are probably wondering what she was thinking at that time. So if they don't know, then why should a bunch of internet strangers know?

I do think that her mental ilness ultimately led to her death and I dont know if I've mentioned this before but I also think she wasn't taking her medication adequately. For example, she was prescribed 60 caps of the standard Venlafaxine (150 mg) and 60 of Venlafaxine 75 mg and she was supposed to take each of one every day, together. The numbers of remaining caps are uneven: 64 and 60. But my assumption is only based on the number of pills prescribed, on the one of those remaining and the directions of use. But then again I'm not familiar with how prescription medication works in the U.S or Canada. But I'm assuming since it's psychiatric medication involved you get a certain amount that will suffice you until your next appointment.

Also, if she wasn't taking it accordingly, I can completely understand why. It's a bit difficult for such a young person to understand the implications of mental illness and deal with the side effects of these medications.

Wha...what? I'm confused.
- I am saying while the evidence indicates she was drowned it does not exclude her being drowned elsewhere and her body dumped in the tank at a later point. I do not claim this is the most probably scenario, but stranger things have happened (eg elevator footage)

<mod snip>
Different people have different ways of looking at things. Some people accept the law of parsimony and I respect their right to do so. But some people prefer to exclude alternate, but less direct possibilities prior to accepting the findings.

In relation to loss of consciousness, the drugs which show up in a toxicology screen after three weeks in a water tank are not the only cause. I have seen patients lose consciousness for a variety of reasons without and drug involvement. In relation to people doing things without sustaining physical injury, surely it is not that significant a leap to consider the possibility of one acting under the threat of physical injury rather than any actual physical injury... I am sure you have seen pirate movies where people walk the plank without ever being struck by the blade that trails them along their walk. It does not require a significant magnitude of deviation in thought to arise at some scenarios that are not particularly far fetched in comparison to what is the current explanation for what happened to Elisa Lam.

The need to turn everything into a subjective matter and referring to queries as "absurd conspiracy theories" is really unnecessary. If you feel this way, then feel free to allow discussion to continue between those who seek more answers before accepting the LAPD determination to do so in a positive manner. If your family member has drowned in obscure circumstance, sans wounds or significant toxicology finding, you may be content dismissing it as accidental/suicide, but not everyone feels that way.

<mod snip> Some people are not happy to equate LAPD statements as being scientific fact.

<mod snip>

We will never have an answer to why Elisa ended up in that tank; why she would ever enter the tank on her own accord -- but from every facet of the case, she did indeed do so.

It's more appeasing to believe that someone else was involved, because it caters to our inherent need for answers. Sometimes, in our desperation to solve a mystery, we end up sustaining and harboring it that much more.
If people dismiss things without pushing for answers then of course we will not get answers. History has proven this time and time again. Pushing for answers does not guarantee an answer, but occasionally a sufficient dissatisfaction for incongruity will yield some answers.

For me it is not more appeasing (sic) to believe someone else was involved. I would prefer if it was an accidental drowning. I don't want there to be someone running around who was involved directly or indirectly in the death of Elisa Lam. Regarding the Lam family finding out Elisa died in a different way to what they were initially told, I cannot comment on their wants and needs. The fact is if someone is murdered, we do not dismiss the case as accidental and cease investigation on account of the murder finding being displeasing to the family. For society as a whole, it is important to have the truth so as to equip society to better defend against these violations occuring in the future as well as hopefully apprehending any parties involved in criminal activity. I cannot speak on behalf of Elisas family, but if it was my family member I would want to have a somewhat more definitive basis for the cause of death.

rsbm --

Yes, we may never have an answer to 'why', as this is likely something so deeply personal, as is much mental illness. But at this point, we do have an answer for 'how', which may be phrased in different ways: on her own accord; by her own doing; by her actions alone.

Nobody else had any responsibility for the events immediately leading up to her death.
<mod snip> All we know for fact is that Elisa Lam drowned and she did not sustain any significant injuries that could be directly attributed to her death. How she got into the tank is not entirely clear, and any theory on how she got into the tank is speculative.

When there is no scientific evidence or any evidence at all to support a crime being committed; people tend to have to make things up and in the process come up with some pretty far-out stories, beliefs and theories.
This was not someone found dead in their bathtub in their locked room. This was someone found dead some 11 or so floors above where they were staying in an area they should not have known about or have had access to. For some the circumstances require further explanation.

The concept of a young Chinese/Canadian female tourist staying in an area that could be described as one of the most dangerous in LA, ascending multiple floors into a permanent resident area of the building, engaging in a few minutes of obscure behaviour on elevator footage in this area, walking to the roof, climbing onto the top of a water tank, removing their clothes and then throwing them into the tank, falling into the tank by accident without getting injured in the process and then drowning seems a bit far fetched also. When that is the best we have, I dont believe it is unreasonable to have people postulate other scenarios that the evidence does not exclude to some extent.

If the family truly believed it murder, they would not be suing the hotel. Perhaps we could respect their wishes.

edited to add: <mod snip> Within the rules of WS, and using only the evidence we have, please explain how this happened, and just as importantly, why you think this is the case, despite all of the expert evidence to the contrary.
<mod snip> Perhaps her family are discontent with the ruling and feel that by pushing the case against the hotel they will get more answers. I am not in her family, so I cannot know what they are thinking. But in their situation, I would sue the hotel also if that was my last possible avenue of seeking answers for how this could have happened to my daughter.

I think some people are disappointed by the fact that the answer to a seemingly complicated case is much simpler than they thought it would be: Elisa got onto the rooftop and willingly climbed into the water tank and died as a result of drowning. I also think it's not fair to her family that people who didn't even know their daughter come up with all sorts of gruesome theories about her death. It must be hard for them to accept what she did and are probably wondering what she was thinking at that time. So if they don't know, then why should a bunch of internet strangers know?

I do think that her mental ilness ultimately led to her death and I dont know if I've mentioned this before but I also think she wasn't taking her medication adequately. For example, she was prescribed 60 caps of the standard Venlafaxine (150 mg) and 60 of Venlafaxine 75 mg and she was supposed to take each of one every day, together. The numbers of remaining caps are uneven: 64 and 60. But my assumption is only based on the number of pills prescribed, on the one of those remaining and the directions of use. But then again I'm not familiar with how prescription medication works in the U.S or Canada. But I'm assuming since it's psychiatric medication involved you get a certain amount that will suffice you until your next appointment.

Also, if she wasn't taking it accordingly, I can completely understand why. It's a bit difficult for such a young person to understand the implications of mental illness and deal with the side effects of these medications.

Again you are speculating - we do not know if Elisa got into the water tank willingly or if she fell in by accident. <mod snip> If some people have questions in relation to the case, then they are also entitled to ask them. If Elisa was my daughter, I would be devastated, but I would want answers, and I would want to know what can be done to prevent this happening in the future - and without having a clear understanding of the cause we cannot know where to start. Tiptoeing around the implication this was a suicide secondary to mental illness is not fair on the family, and not fair on those who suffer mental illnesses in the absence of evidence to substantiate that as fact.

A discrepancy of 4 tablets could again be for a number of reasons and not necessarily attributable to her not taking one of her medications for a number of days immediately preceding the incident. Perhaps before even leaving canada she accidentally spilt the container and dropped a few pills down the sink? Perhaps she lost a blister pack of tablets while she was out somewhere and as a result had a 4 pill discrepancy? Perhaps her doctor did not start her on all the medications at exactly the same time? The discrepancy of 4 tablets does not prove anything in relation to Elisa Lam's adherence to her medications.

As far as Elisa's understanding of her condition, it would be prudent to peruse her blog. She was a very switched on girl and seemed to be quite involved in her treatment for someone of her age. She had a fairly good understanding of her condition as well as the need for the psychiatric and medicinal aspects of her treatment.

Some on here will say that only the evidence is to be discussed and will dismiss the incongruities on account of there being a lack of evidence. If that is how you feel, then fair enough. But please do not dismiss those unwilling to accept that there are too many missing pieces as being crazy conspiracy theorists hellbent on torturing Elisa's family. If her family was accepting of the LAPD findings, they would not be googling and coming across forums like this - so the argument of 'oh lets be quiet and accept the LAPD ruling of accidental drowning because if we investigate further it could turn out to be a suicide or unnecessarily expose the family to visions of more egregious scenarios' is really not a rational argument to dismiss a case with so many unexplained factors. I am fairly certain that over the 3 weeks where Elisa was missing and in the time prior to recieving the LAPD decision, similar scenarios would have played through their minds.

If you are content with the LAPD findings, that is your personal decision. But please respect the right of people who think Elisa's case deserves more answers to ask the hard questions <mod snip> If you disagree with a question that has been raised, answer it with facts and not speculation and subjectivity.

A discrepancy of 4 tablets could again be for a number of reasons and not necessarily attributable to her not taking one of her medications for a number of days immediately preceding the incident. Perhaps before even leaving canada she accidentally spilt the container and dropped a few pills down the sink? Perhaps she lost a blister pack of tablets while she was out somewhere and as a result had a 4 pill discrepancy? Perhaps her doctor did not start her on all the medications at exactly the same time? The discrepancy of 4 tablets does not prove anything in relation to Elisa Lam's adherence to her medications.

The discrepancy isn't of just 4 pills. For example, she was issued 60 tabs of Lamotrigine on 1/11/2013. That would have been enough for 60 days because her physician prescribed her one per day. The report says she had 70 tabs remaining when investigators went through her personal belongings. Let's say she took one every day for 20 days, until she died. That means that she started off with about 90 tabs at the beginning of January, 60 of which were the ones that she got on 1/11/2013. That's an excess of about 30 tabs she had beforehand. (only if we assume she took one daily)

Also, she was on a lot of different medications. Judging from the amount of Venlafaxine she was taking - 225 mg/day - (which also happens to be maximum daily dose that can be prescribed to someone, unless they're hospitalized in a psychiatric ward and they can be given 375 mg/day) in conjunction with the Lamotrigine and Wellbutrin I can conclude that she was moderately to severely depressed.
Quetiapine - 2 tabs before bed time, as needed - she obviously had trouble sleeping.
Any discontinuation (even for a few days) of any of these drugs, as some of them represent the maximum admitted daily dose or near to it anyway, can result in some serious side effects.

<mod snip>. If the case was truly solved, then we would not have anything to discuss. Since it is still relatively open-ended, it seems perfectly reasonable to me for members here to discuss evidence and possible conclusions that differ from the LAPD's analysis.

As a side note, one thing that has always bothered me is the moment in where after waiting for the elevator to close initially, she appears to be frightened and hides up in the front corner. There are many way to interpret that, hide and go seek, schizophrenic/paranoia, or that she genuinely heard or saw something that scared her. We do not know for sure which if any of these is the reason for her actions. These are interpretations, and unfortunately with the limited evidence available, the interpretations are prone to false assumptions. One can assume that, well, maybe the police have more information than we do and that their opinion is thus more substantiated than we realize. Then we consider that we are talking about the LAPD here, and that a less than well substantiated conclusion is very well possible. In my mind, this case is only "closed" because there has been no available to conclusively solve it, nor evidence that suggests leaving it "unsolved" would solve anything. So, what we're left with is something that imo members should feel free to discuss, but that such speculations will probably lead to nowhere.

The discrepancy isn't of just 4 pills. For example, she was issued 60 tabs of Lamotrigine on 1/11/2013. That would have been enough for 60 days because her physician prescribed her one per day. The report says she had 70 tabs remaining when investigators went through her personal belongings. Let's say she took one every day for 20 days, until she died. That means that she started off with about 90 tabs at the beginning of January, 60 of which were the ones that she got on 1/11/2013. That's an excess of about 30 tabs she had beforehand. (only if we assume she took one daily)

Also, she was on a lot of different medications. Judging from the amount of Venlafaxine she was taking - 225 mg/day - (which also happens to be maximum daily dose that can be prescribed to someone, unless they're hospitalized in a psychiatric ward and they can be given 375 mg/day) in conjunction with the Lamotrigine and Wellbutrin I can conclude that she was moderately to severely depressed.
Quetiapine - 2 tabs before bed time, as needed - she obviously had trouble sleeping.
Any discontinuation (even for a few days) of any of these drugs, as some of them represent the maximum admitted daily dose or near to it anyway, can result in some serious side effects.

Where did you get this information regarding specific pill counts and dosages? Just curious because I had not seen this before. The medications she was on were one thing that has swayed my opinion a bit towards the accidental or suicide, as I know from experience that psych meds can definitely have significant side effects, particularly when taking more or less than titrated dosage. What I had heard though is that the medical examiner found "appropriate levels" of the prescribed meds in her system. One can postulate that their results were inconclusive because of the state of decomposition, but then one would have to throw out all lab results including whether she had been sedated/disabled in some way by way of something fast acting like GHB.

Where did you get this information regarding specific pill counts and dosages? Just curious because I had not seen this before. The medications she was on were one thing that has swayed my opinion a bit towards the accidental or suicide, as I know from experience that psych meds can definitely have significant side effects, particularly when taking more or less than titrated dosage. What I had heard though is that the medical examiner found "appropriate levels" of the prescribed meds in her system. One can postulate that their results were inconclusive because of the state of decomposition, but then one would have to throw out all lab results including whether she had been sedated/disabled in some way by way of something fast acting like GHB.

Form 3A of her autopsy report, it's one of the last pages of the pdf, should be right before the Toxicology analysis.

-

If people dismiss things without pushing for answers then of course we will not get answers. History has proven this time and time again. Pushing for answers does not guarantee an answer, but occasionally a sufficient dissatisfaction for incongruity will yield some answers.

For me it is not more appeasing (sic) to believe someone else was involved. I would prefer if it was an accidental drowning. I don't want there to be someone running around who was involved directly or indirectly in the death of Elisa Lam. Regarding the Lam family finding out Elisa died in a different way to what they were initially told, I cannot comment on their wants and needs. The fact is if someone is murdered, we do not dismiss the case as accidental and cease investigation on account of the murder finding being displeasing to the family. For society as a whole, it is important to have the truth so as to equip society to better defend against these violations occuring in the future as well as hopefully apprehending any parties involved in criminal activity. I cannot speak on behalf of Elisas family, but if it was my family member I would want to have a somewhat more definitive basis for the cause of death.

Pushing for answers is counterproductive when following an unknown path and can (as you say, occasionally) lead you to get even more lost and further from the truth than when you started. Personally, I have to take what is in front of me, and in front of me only; that is all of which any of us are truly capable.

My post to which you originally responded didn't mean to suggest you would prefer a murderer running loose, but rather, to illustrate the point above. Obviously, there are some of us who accept the ruling as truth, and those who will continue to pursue other avenues of truth, because they are not satiated in that regard. There is nothing wrong with that, and I'd hope that new information could be ascertained from pressing forward for those who chose to do so; but I'd also hope that it wouldn't lead you more astray and/or cause you to lose sight of what is directly in front of you.

I completely agree with @Userid.

Also I'm a little bit confused as to why some people still seem to think she was murdered/raped/drowned in a tub and then transported to the water tank (???????) even though there's so much compelling evidence that her death was accidental and not traumatic. (@Montjoy warned me about this)

Isn't there like a conspiracy theories thread where people can post their wildest thoughts?

In all seriousness, the death was ruled as being accidental, there's evidence to support that as well as evidence to support that her death was not a homicide. And it's all in the autopsy report, y u no read the autopsy report?

I completely agree with @Userid.

Also I'm a little bit confused as to why some people still seem to think she was murdered/raped/drowned in a tub and then transported to the water tank (???????) even though there's so much compelling evidence that her death was accidental and not traumatic. (@Montjoy warned me about this)

Isn't there like a conspiracy theories thread where people can post their wildest thoughts?

In all seriousness, the death was ruled as being accidental, there's evidence to support that as well as evidence to support that her death was not a homicide. And it's all in the autopsy report, y u no read the autopsy report?

There's a lot of details as to why some feel the autopsy report was inadequate in the countless other threads here. Suffice to say, the police report has not been released, which some feel might shed light on whether she used social media or txt messaging to contact others in the area that she planned to meet, or whether there were any concerns she may have had about her surroundings in LA. What we can assume is that the police did a thorough job on the electronic communications, but police departments have dropped the ball on so many other occasions that one is left with the suspicion that the details that have not been released may make the "accidental death" theory less compelling. What I'd like to know is, in your expert opinion, is "accidental death" more reasonable a conclusion than "undetermined". Does the evidence we have such as drowning, no obvious bodily harm, possible psych issues, and a weird elevator video, automatically lead to "accidental". To me it seems like the lack of evidence towards any other conclusion, such as homicide, makes accidental a reasonable choice, but based on all that I have read about the case, "undetermined" seems just as much a valid conclusion, if not more so. Two pieces of evidence that stick out to me are her movements in the elevator in which she appears to be hiding from someone, as well as social media comments in which she casually mentioned concerns about italian and spanish guys coming hard for her/stalking her when at nightclubs. Also, her father's comments to Chinese media after the investigation had been closed suggested that he did not believe the accidental death theory, and was actually planning to travel to LA do investigate it more himself. As I do not work in law enforcement or the judicial system, my ideas on this obviously come from a different and perhaps more naive perspective than a seasoned investigator.

I think the reason some of these foul-play theories sound "whacky" is because there is nothing (no evidence) that point to her being murdered. When there is no scientific evidence or any evidence at all to support a crime being committed; people tend to have to make things up and in the process come up with some pretty far-out stories, beliefs and theories.

No one here at this point is promoting the outlandish theories of Tila Tequila or saying she was murdered. Rather we are questioning how "experts" have concluded her death was an accident with no scientific evidence to back it. The evidence is scant and circumstantial at best. She drowned and was alive when she went into the tank. period. This is all we know. Using a 2 minute video with no sound and a medically unsubstantiated diagnosis of bipolar disorder as scientific and unequivocal proof that her death was accidental? The only thing scientific is the physical indicator of drowning and even that is questionable given how long she was submerged. How is that? Perhaps there is evidence that has not been made public, but based on all that we know, I don't see how a coroner can see this is anything but "undetermined".

It is estimated, based on hundreds of autopsies studied by forensic specialists of the non-profit Lifeguard Systems, at least 20% of the thousands of deaths in the US ruled accidental are actually homicide. This group trains law enforcement in how to properly investigate water related death scenes and in their material they indicate some crucial points to consider in apparent drowning deaths. Please take time to read this excerpt from their training manual:

Without obvious evidence to the contrary, the occurrence of drowning is typically treated as a tragic accident.

The tendency to see drowning incidents as accidents may cause red flags and evidence to be missed at every level of personnel from first responders to medical examiners.

Compounding this is that drowning scenes present little or no typical signs of foul play. Victim trauma, signs of struggle at the scene, and signs of previous abuse, are not typically visible at pure-drowning homicide incidents (i.e. no other violence or cause of death other than drowning).

sources:

http://www.nysaccme.org/library/HDI-world_drowning_congress.pdf

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?id=9028337

I find it ironic how those who continue to criticize the few of us here who question authority as misguided and dogmatic are just as rigid in their thinking that this is an open and shut case. Ultimately IMO it is equally as disrespectful in its own way to family who are on record as disbelieving that this was an accident.

There's a lot of details as to why some feel the autopsy report was inadequate in the countless other threads here. Suffice to say, the police report has not been released, which some feel might shed light on whether she used social media or txt messaging to contact others in the area that she planned to meet, or whether there were any concerns she may have had about her surroundings in LA. What we can assume is that the police did a thorough job on the electronic communications, but police departments have dropped the ball on so many other occasions that one is left with the suspicion that the details that have not been released may make the "accidental death" theory less compelling. What I'd like to know is, in your expert opinion, is "accidental death" more reasonable a conclusion than "undetermined". Does the evidence we have such as drowning, no obvious bodily harm, possible psych issues, and a weird elevator video, automatically lead to "accidental". To me it seems like the lack of evidence towards any other conclusion, such as homicide, makes accidental a reasonable choice, but based on all that I have read about the case, "undetermined" seems just as much a valid conclusion, if not more so. Two pieces of evidence that stick out to me are her movements in the elevator in which she appears to be hiding from someone, as well as social media comments in which she casually mentioned concerns about italian and spanish guys coming hard for her/stalking her when at nightclubs. Also, her father's comments to Chinese media after the investigation had been closed suggested that he did not believe the accidental death theory, and was actually planning to travel to LA do investigate it more himself. As I do not work in law enforcement or the judicial system, my ideas on this obviously come from a different and perhaps more naive perspective than a seasoned investigator.

I have to say that I've read the autopsy report from beginning to end twice and I think I have a good picture of what happened. I've also seen the video and read a few news articles about this case.

I think I found the article about her father that you were talking about.
http://usa.chinadaily.com.cn/us/2013-06/26/content_16663015.htm

"He also said his daughter was alert and quiet that she was not bipolar."

Well that's obviously a lie because she was bipolar. She was taking prescription medication and was seeing a psychiatrist for her bipolar disorder. Her family knew about it because her sister stated that and told the investigators the names of the medications that Elisa was on. (this is in the autopsy report)

The media lie about all sorts of things such as the fact that you would have needed a card to access the rooftop when the rooftop was clearly accessible to anyone. There was also a ladder that she climbed in order to get into the water tank. There's someone in a different thread who stayed at the Cecil a few months after Elisa's death and they took pictures of the tanks, the ladder and mentioned that they had absolutely no trouble getting there - the alarm system was not armed, they didn't need a card key to open the door that led to the rooftop and the security guard did not stop them at any point.

If I were you I would be a little bit more skeptical about whatever the media are saying.

You are probably right, the police report would probably shed a little bit more light on this case. However, I don't think the police report is a public document and you'd need to provide some proof that you're related to the decedent in order to obtain it.

I think that her death was accidental and my reasoning for this is:

- lack of trauma
- water in her lungs and secretions in her upper respiratory tract which indicate that she was alive when she entered the water tank, clean tox screen which showed no signs of acute drug intoxication
- her history of bipolar disorder and the fact that she was on some pretty strong psychiatric meds
- the fact that she didn't take her meds appropriately (see form 3A, it's obvious she was skipping doses). This combined with her disorder could have easily led to her entering a sort of psychotic/delusional state that night which led her to go onto the rooftop and get into one of the tanks. I know this piece of information might sound a bit too unrealistic to some but believe me, psychiatric medication has some pretty serious side effects and the doses she was on were kind of high. It's not like some sort of magical candy that'll make you feel/think like a normal person. Some patients respond to medication better than others. Also, skipping doses is not okay.
- she was found naked, her clothes were in the water tank with her along with her watch. It's extremely unlikely a potential murderer would have killed her then removed all of her clothes INCLUDING her watch (why would they remove the watch?) and then dumped her in a water tank. If anything, they would have gotten rid of the clothes as they could have been a source of potential evidence against them. Also if she wanted to commit suicide I doubt she would have removed all of her clothes including her wrist watch and then drowned herself.
- in my opinion, on that fatal night she suffered some sort of psychotic delusion and I don't think that she was being chased in any way in the elevator video.
- as for the social media comments I really don't know what to say. People post a lot of stuff on the internet. Some stuff is true, some are lies.

Accidental death fits best here. There's no evidence that she would have committed or even wanted to commit suicide.

It would have been an undetermined manner of death if the mechanism of death couldn't have been determined for whatever reason (obviously) or if the there's information to support more than one competing manners of death thorough consideration of all available information, basically they have some evidence but can't rule out one or more of the manners of death. Since neither of these apply here plus the cause of death being drowning and all the other factors that you also enumerated they reached the conclusion that her death was accidental.(also the autopsy report states the fact that the police investigators did not find any evidence of foul play). To reach this conclusion the people working on this case needed maybe a few days of data analysis and debates. I'm pretty sure they didn't flip a coin to rule out the manner of death.

Those of you saying she was murdered, raped, thrown in a tank...what evidence do you have to support your theories? Cause so far all I can see is some of us that are saying she drowned and it was an accident and all you guys say is that the cause of death being drowning, the lack of trauma, clean toxicology and history of bipolar disorder are NOT enough to rule out foul play. Well, perhaps most of you have never seen an autopsy that involved foul play or have a flawed understanding of what bipolar disorder is and how it really affects the person who's diagnosed with such a disease. Bipolar disorder isn't something you brag about having on your personal blog. It's a very serious condition that can result in an accidental death. In fact, studies have shown a correlation between mental illnesses and an increased of accidental deaths rather than suicides.

No one here at this point is promoting the outlandish theories of Tila Tequila or saying she was murdered. Rather we are questioning how "experts" have concluded her death was an accident with no scientific evidence to back it. The evidence is scant and circumstantial at best. She drowned and was alive when she went into the tank. period. This is all we know. Using a 2 minute video with no sound and a medically unsubstantiated diagnosis of bipolar disorder as scientific and unequivocal proof that her death was accidental? The only thing scientific is the physical indicator of drowning and even that is questionable given how long she was submerged. How is that? Perhaps there is evidence that has not been made public, but based on all that we know, I don't see how a coroner can see this is anything but "undetermined".

It is estimated, based on hundreds of autopsies studied by forensic specialists of the non-profit Lifeguard Systems, at least 20% of the thousands of deaths in the US ruled accidental are actually homicide. This group trains law enforcement in how to properly investigate water related death scenes and in their material they indicate some crucial points to consider in apparent drowning deaths. Please take time to read this excerpt from their training manual:

Without obvious evidence to the contrary, the occurrence of drowning is typically treated as a tragic accident.

The tendency to see drowning incidents as accidents may cause red flags and evidence to be missed at every level of personnel from first responders to medical examiners.

Compounding this is that drowning scenes present little or no typical signs of foul play. Victim trauma, signs of struggle at the scene, and signs of previous abuse, are not typically visible at pure-drowning homicide incidents (i.e. no other violence or cause of death other than drowning).

sources:

http://www.nysaccme.org/library/HDI-world_drowning_congress.pdf

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?id=9028337

I find it ironic how those who continue to criticize the few of us here who question authority as misguided and dogmatic are just as rigid in their thinking that this is an open and shut case. Ultimately IMO it is equally as disrespectful in its own way to family who are on record as disbelieving that this was an accident.

Please keep in mind that Elisa Lam drowned in a water tank and not a lake or a bath tub. It's easier to push someone off a boat or submerge a person in an open space without leaving any trauma marks or evidence....it's more difficult to carry a person who's still alive into a water tank without leaving any marks.
Also most of those seem to be based on confessions and tips without any other evidence.

I have to say that I've read the autopsy report from beginning to end twice and I think I have a good picture of what happened. I've also seen the video and read a few news articles about this case.

I think I found the article about her father that you were talking about.
http://usa.chinadaily.com.cn/us/2013-06/26/content_16663015.htm

"He also said his daughter was alert and quiet that she was not bipolar."

Won't go point by point, but I'd like to comment that while your conclusions are very intelligently stated and well sourced, I would add that you also include a number of speculations and assumptions that may or may not be true. For one thing - the elevator video. You see one thing, I see a scared girl. Why I believe she was scared is up for debate. Again, either a paranoid schizophrenia type of thing, or she legitimately was afraid of someone in the hall. That is entirely open to interpretation, and if it was the latter then of course some of us might be skeptical about "accidental". Secondly, her clothes and personal items being in the tank with her would actually be a smart thing to do by a perp as it would suggest suicide or accidental more than homicide of hiding a naked body in a tank. Additionally, the fact that her father said she was not bi-polar may or may not be true. It is possible that some of her medications were used off-label, and her comments on feeling bi-polar may be her own feelings on it, rather than a professional psychiatrist. Remember, the psychiatrist's diagnosis' has never been put on record. Ultimately what I'm saying is that "accidental death" may be a logical conclusion for law enforcement, but no matter how you cut it, it is still somewhat speculative as, wacked-out theories they may be, there are other ways for this to have happened beside accident or suicide. Maybe not likely, but they are still technically "possible". And despite your dismissal of her father's comments on her psychological issues, I would still point to further quotes from the article:

"The father of a Chinese-Canadian woman whose body was discovered in a hotel's rooftop water tank in downtown Los Angeles said he is unsatisfied with the autopsy conclusion that his daughter accidentally drowned, Canadian media reported.

Lam&#8217;s father said that he is planning a trip to L.A. to get more information himself, according to the report."

SNIP

"&#8220;How did she climb up (to the rooftop tower) and how did she die? These questions remain unclear,&#8221; said Lam&#8217;s father to the newspaper Sing Tao Daily. He also said his daughter was alert and quiet that she was not bipolar."

Please keep in mind that Elisa Lam drowned in a water tank and not a lake or a bath tub. It's easier to push someone off a boat or submerge a person in an open space without leaving any trauma marks or evidence....it's more difficult to carry a person who's still alive into a water tank without leaving any marks.
Also most of those seem to be based on confessions and tips without any other evidence.

Also just out of curiosity, would sedatives like GHB or chloroform still be in the body after it has been in a water tank for several weeks? Some here have said that scientifically some of the lab work may be questionable so long after the individual has been lying in water. I would think that some of those would have such a short half life that they could be out of her system by the tank she was on the roof/in the tank.

The thing about being on WS is, you can state your opinions and others can take them or leave them. Nobody can force you to believe anything. So those who want more investigating...that's ok. Those who think it's closed and nothing more needs to be said...that's ok too.

We were not in on the autopsy, and it was witnessed by the investigating officers who were hardly thorough. Who is to say that there were marks that went unrecorded? Or to say that the look for marks was even comprehensive? The report speaks only to what the coroner wants to be known or recorded. No, I don't think there was a conspiracy, just don't think we can judge the quality of an autopsy based on what is written. Without the autopsy being videotaped we really have no way of knowing what was completed or omitted in the examination of the body. Case in point, look at the actress Natalie Wood. She supposedly accidentally drown after "falling" off a boat in the 80's. Just last year her case was reopened as suspicious after it came to light that she had visible contusions on her body that were somehow overlooked by the coroner.

Who is say that EL was not somehow rendered unconscious or immobile by either partial aspyhxiation, chloroform, or some other drug that was not tested? They hardly ran all the drug tests they could have; was she even tested for poisons. She would not have struggled or resisted. Yes, this is all far fetched but no more so than her climbing into the tank of her own accord after suffering a psychotic break.

We were not in on the autopsy, and it was witnessed by the investigating officers who were hardly thorough.

Is there a source for this?

The report speaks only to what the coroner wants to be known or recorded.

Really? It's just based on the whims of the coroner, not any professional obligations?

Who is say that EL was not somehow rendered unconscious or immobile by either partial aspyhxiation, chloroform, or some other drug that was not tested?

LE and the coroner, evidently, and they have better resources and access to more information than we have, so I would wonder why someone would presume that they are, together, incompetent or willfully concealing the truth. What would be the reason for believing that was the case here?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back