FL - 17 killed in Stoneman Douglas H.S. shooting, Parkland, 14 Feb 2018 #2 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no opinion on screen time. It's not something I've ever researched. But I do know that most people with autism are NOT more prone to violence like school shootings. So, IMO, if this guy did have a diagnosis on the spectrum, it had nothing to do with him being a mass murderer. I really hope the media doesn't try to spin it that way. It really would harm the autism community. People with autism are already looked down upon. They don't need this unfounded nonsense making it worse.

I agree and as someone who have had autistic children & teenagers in my classrooms -at least two or three every academic year- in my teaching career it saddens me and shocks me the level of blatant ignorance displayed by some articles and commentators on media about autism. People need to inform themselves about the spectrum.

In 9 years I have never had any violent incidents carried out by autistic children in my classrooms. I only know one person -a friend who teaches in Toulouse, France- who ever experienced violence on the hands of an autistic child. He -8 years old at the time- bite her arm. With the right treatment and personal attention in the three years since that happened he has not done this to anyone else again and he is doing quite well in his emotional development.

I agree and as someone who have had autistic children & teenagers in my classrooms -at least two or three every academic year- in my teaching career it saddens me and shocks me the level of blatant ignorance displayed by some articles and commentators on media about autism. People need to inform themselves about the spectrum.

In 9 years I have never had any violent incidents carried out by autistic children in my classrooms. I only know one person -a friend who teaches in Toulouse, France- who ever experienced violence on the hands of an autistic child. He -8 years old at the time- bite her arm. With the right treatment and personal attention in the three years since that happened he has not done this to anyone else again and he is doing quite well in his emotional development.
I agree--it is sad to see people defined by their diagnoses. I had a preschool student once introduce herself, "Hi! I'm ADD!" Not even, "Hi! I'm Jane! I have ADD!" I reacted with, "I thought your mother said your name is [Jane]?" She stared at me confused. :(

ETA
I've been bitten by a wide range of students lol, on the spectrum, neuro typical, "gifted" etc...

Really? Maybe because they were very young. There are many parents of autistic adults who are terrified that their child may harm themselves or others in a rage. https://www.autism.com/treating_self-injurious

One example here https://youtu.be/Ir6EQ58pSDk

Cruz was obviously not severely or profoundly autistic, as his grades in mainstream high school classes were As and Bs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree--it is sad to see people defined by their diagnoses. I had a preschool student once introduce herself, "Hi! I'm ADD!" Not even, "Hi! I'm Jane! I have ADD!" I reacted with, "I thought your mother said your name is [Jane]?" She stared at me confused. :(

ETA
I've been bitten by a wide range of students lol, on the spectrum, neuro typical, "gifted" etc...

My gosh Flourish I have had the same experiences too, including a mother who came into the classroom on the first day and her first sentence to me -in front of her child!- was "You have to be careful with him because he is not normal" . Still give me the chills to remember it, especially the look on the little one's face who seemed completely used to being introduced like that.

Me too! I have been bitten by a wide range of students and still have the marks on my left arm to prove it.

[h=1]​Fla. governor calls on FBI director to resign after 'protocols were not followed'​ in shooting tip[/h]The FBI said it received a tip just after the new year warning about the man accused of killing 17 people this week at a Florida high school, but "protocols were not followed for the information received."
In a statement Friday, the FBI said the tipster on Jan. 5 called its Public Access Line and provided information on Nikolas Cruz's "gun ownership, desire to kill people, erratic behavior, and disturbing social media posts, as well as the potential of him conducting a school shooting."

Advertisement

The FBI said the information was not provided to the bureau's Miami Field Office and no further investigation was conducted. It is investigating why the information wasn't probed further.
"We have spoken with victims and families, and deeply regret the additional pain this causes all those affected by this horrible tragedy," FBI Director Christopher Wray said.
The Florida governor called for the FBI director to resign Friday following the revelation of missteps made.
http://www.wesh.com/article/fbi-pro...ter-tip-called-in-on-florida-shooter/18210238

I went to school all day, like all other non-homeschooled kids...and I am very close to my family. We had quite a bit of family time. And it was higher quality time.

Me too. In the 80s. Both my parents had jobs that allowed them to be home well before dinner time and off on weekends. They didn’t need second or third jobs or before and after school care so that they were able to provide basic essentials.

Regardless, Cruz’s mother did stay home, but he had pervasive mental illnesses. A mentally sound person doesn’t aspire to be a mass murderer.

Ok, so far we have at least 2 students that talked to him that day. So were there more? Do we know if he was targeting someone in particular yet? Sure sounds like it. Why warn one student before even starting the shooting to leave?

I think the cell phone is awful. From day one -- never had one. Never wanted one.

There isolation machines. You cant even say hi to someone behind you in a grocery line -- there all glued.

You pass people sitting at restaurant -- they all have their cell phones in their faces. MY thought had always been well heck however you all are talking to invite them up to the table and you can talk face to face over a meal

its insanity

I think the generation at the school are going to have a horrible time with marriage. There is no communication skills development happening

Those emo things or whatever they are called are silly Feelings are not a happy face or a mad face or a tears face

Human emotion is a dash more complicated than pushing a button

de friending someone or unfriending whatever it is called is not conflict resolution -- a skill anyone in adult life needs.

In marriage kinda significant!

They create a total inability to develop any frustration tolerance skills. Everything is ordered ahead so there is no waiting. Waiting for an ambulance can be a problem for a cup at Starbucks not so much!!!

That generation has learned no way to make somewhat of a complicated narrative .

I have teased some folks (who have kids) . before cell phones emails had some substance .

I have watched as there entire world has turned into 140 characters and check that off your list

i teased anita that if I emailed her that my head fell off last night her response would be.

Sorry to hear this. Feel better.

Its an addiction in the purest sense of the word and no different than heroin smoking etc etc

the core definition of addiction is any entity which results in feelings of anxiety if separated from which is really harmful

Separating from a fire extinguisher while the kitchen is ablaze is appropriate anxiety!

the notion that they make things easier is not born out by reality. it is obserdity

For cell phone addicts meeting someone at a restaurant at 7 PM is like this !!

Lets just make it two people for typing reasons !

START 6 PM

hi we on for 7

min later sure

3 min later I was wondering do we to go to *advertiser censored* instead

2 min later I am not sure hold on

3 min later where do you want to go

2 min later

1 min later XXXX

2 min later ok

3 min later ok see you there

2 min later ok

15 min later I may be a little late I am running into XXXX to grab something

2 min later While your there can you get me *advertiser censored*

2 min later sure

1 min later what do you want

1 min later XXXXX

1 min later OK

2 min later do you want large or small

1 min later small

2 min later I did not hear from you so I got you large sorry about that

1 minlute later can you just return it

2 min later No I am back in the car

1 min later thats ok

2 min later I am pulling in the reataurant

1 min later I am about 10 min utes away

1 min later ok

2 min later I got the table

3 min later great

1 min later you want me to order you a coke

1 min later sure

1 min later make sure it is diet

1 min later pepsi or coke

2 min later i dont care

1 min later make it a coke

2 min later i think it is a pepsi should i have them take it back

1 min later no that is ok

1 min later where are you

2 min later about 5 minutes away

1 min later ok

3 min later at a long light

1 min later OK

2 minutes later I am pulling into the parking lot

1 minute later I am at a table on the right

1 min ute later on the right or left side

1 minute later on the right

2 min later I am pulling in

1 min later OK

1 min later what kind of appetizer do you want

2 min later I am going to BR first

1 mi later OK

arrive

sit down

say hi

pick up your cell phones and sitting across from one another do nothing other than tweet or whatever people that are NOT at the table

=====================================
OUR VERSION OF THIS :

6 days ahead of time Want to go to *advertiser censored* Fri at 7 Sure sounds good 6 days later at 7 the two of you sit down and talk and eat .............

compare and contrast

give me a break!!

:giggle:

[h=1]​Fla. governor calls on FBI director to resign after 'protocols were not followed'​ in shooting tip[/h]The FBI said it received a tip just after the new year warning about the man accused of killing 17 people this week at a Florida high school, but "protocols were not followed for the information received."
In a statement Friday, the FBI said the tipster on Jan. 5 called its Public Access Line and provided information on Nikolas Cruz's "gun ownership, desire to kill people, erratic behavior, and disturbing social media posts, as well as the potential of him conducting a school shooting."

Advertisement

The FBI said the information was not provided to the bureau's Miami Field Office and no further investigation was conducted. It is investigating why the information wasn't probed further.
"We have spoken with victims and families, and deeply regret the additional pain this causes all those affected by this horrible tragedy," FBI Director Christopher Wray said.
The Florida governor called for the FBI director to resign Friday following the revelation of missteps made.
http://www.wesh.com/article/fbi-pro...ter-tip-called-in-on-florida-shooter/18210238

I am OK with FBI having their feet held to the fire on this but I don't think local LE and school officials should escape scrutiny either. They had more and better info on the shooter

Really? Maybe because they were very young. There are many parents of autistic adults who are terrified that their child may harm themselves or others in a rage. https://www.autism.com/treating_self-injurious

One example here https://youtu.be/Ir6EQ58pSDk

Cruz was obviously not severely or profoundly autistic, as his grades in mainstream high school classes were As and Bs.

Those instances of rage are perfectly avoidable if the teacher -and the parents- know how to react and most importantly how to anticipate when these are about to happen.

With the right training, knowledge and empathy anyone can deal with the struggles of an autistic child except very extreme cases. I have had autistic pupils/students up to age 14 so not that young, some HF autistic -verbal and with social skills- and others non-verbal.

My sincere apology. I quoted an article that was not a mainstream media article. I should not have done that. In my haste to check the thread and head to an appointment, I did not click on the link. I was commenting on what was in the post.

It was about the number of kids who are or were on medications at the time they decided to shoot up schools.

If someone can find a more mainstream article or perhaps a respected medical report of some sort that talks about this issue that would be great. If something like this has already been posted thank you.

Again, I am very sorry. As forum owner, you would think I would be the one person who would be careful. In this case, I was not.

Tricia

My sincere apology. I quoted an article that was not a mainstream media article. I should not have done that. In my haste to check the thread and head to an appointment, I did not click on the link. I was commenting on what was in the post.

It was about the number of kids who are or were on medications at the time they decided to shoot up schools.

If someone can find a more mainstream article or perhaps a respected medical report of some sort that talks about this issue that would be great. If something like this has already been posted thank you.

Again, I am very sorry. As forum owner, you would think I would be the one person who would be careful. In this case, I was not.

Tricia

How do we feel about Business Insider? They were definitely considered a legit source while I was in college http://markets.businessinsider.com/...tially-Linked-to-Psychiatric-Drugs-1002085657

I would like to slowly torture the sob to death and bring him back to only do it again at min 17 times.
He was well enough to plan this and carry it out. He deserves nothing.

I wonder why the tipster didn't tip off local LE, as well? Fear of being identified?

If it was someone nearby it would make sense
that the person had seen LE there endleslly
and that nothing happened so it would be a waste of time

there are gonna be some cops in some trouble

correctly so this started when he was 11

cops are mandated reporters in FL

you have to report to DCF if you suspect

issues with a young child

cnn just had neighbor on in the neighborhood neighborhood was great !!

I’m thinking whoever did not pass the information on is the one who should be fired. The director cannot be everything.
I agree. He has only been on the job for seven months and has quite a mess to clean up. I give him a lot of credit for being truthful about his department dropping the ball. He could of had the department cover it up and never mentioned, but he was honest and is going to investigate. Sounds like he is going to make his employees accountable for thier actions. It might just make the next emplyee do thier job because they will know there will be noone covering for them IMO

I wonder sometimes why Canada hasn’t had any massive school shootings. What are we doing different? I know guns are harder to get but people who shouldn’t have them, do. Are we doing anything different? I just don’t get it. We have mentally ill youth running rampant in our country as well. We just don’t see this here. (We do have some horrible crimes) is it because we have free health care-including mental health? Our wait times are horrible so it isn’t perfect. But is that one thing? Idk.

There have been some great posts today and I have been reading some of them. It has been rightly said that this problem we have in the US is going to take multiple steps to begin to make a difference.

ALL steps should be pursued IMO and just like with stopping terrorism we have to tackle it on all fronts and get away from thinking there is ever going to be a way to stop every single one. Any dent we can make to reduce frequency is a WIN.

Back to this post about Canada schools I think that is something that should be looked at. Was wondering if there is more structure or something in the schools in Canada? Like do they require a common dress to go to school there which helps to prevent certain issues as some kids wear things better than other kids and other things like that.

Wondering if we have anybody that has went to both Canada schools and US schools that may know of things done there that seem beneficial and maybe can be adopted as a policy in US schools.

Its something worth looking at IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member