GUILTY FL - 17 killed in Stoneman Douglas High School shooting, Parkland, 14 Feb 2018 *shooter Guilty, School officer NG* #5

Judge Elizabeth Scherer from Parkland shooter trial speaks publicly for first time since resigning after controversial case​

Updated on: January 8, 2024 / 10:31 AM EST / CBS Miami

FORT LAUDERDALE -- The former judge who presided over the death penalty trial for the Parkland school shooter is breaking her silence.

She's talking about the historic case and the backlash surrounding it for the first time.

Elizabeth Scherer, who served as a Broward County Circuit Court judge for a decade, is now working at the family law firm founded by her father nearly 50 years ago.
[...]
Asked if she feels like she is starting over, Scherer said, "Yes, absolutely. Especially when they tell me, 'You're assigned to this case now' and I go, 'OK, what am I first chair?' No. Sixth. And I'm saying I'm used to calling the shots (and) making the rulings."
[...]
As for the family members of the Parkland victims, the former judge says many have reached out to her following the trial's conclusion. She says they have formed a special bond and she affectionately calls them her "guardian angels."
[...]

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. — A lawsuit filed by families of the 17 people killed and other victims of the Parkland, Florida, school massacre against a former sheriff’s deputy who failed to intervene can go forward, a judge ruled, rejecting his motion to dismiss the case before trial.

Circuit Judge Carol-Lisa Phillips, in a ruling posted Wednesday, said a jury should decide whether fired Broward County Deputy Scot Peterson displayed a “wanton and willful disregard” for the students’ and teachers’ safety when he failed to confront the shooter during the six-minute attack inside a classroom building at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.

Judge: Lawsuit against Parkland school deputy over 2018 massacre can go to trial

The Associated Press 11 hrs ago

Lawmakers in 2018 raised the purchase age to 21 following revelations that Stoneman Douglas shooter Nikolas Cruz had legally purchased the AR-15-style weapon he used in the attack.

Tony Montalto, whose 14-year-old daughter Gina was killed in the shooting, testified against lowering the age. "Our current law is working," he said during a Jan. 30 Criminal Justice Subcommittee hearing in Tallahassee. "I implore each of you to remember that law is written in the blood of the victims, including my beautiful daughter, Gina."

Jayden D’Onofrio, 19, also spoke against the bill, recalling that he was in middle school nearby when Cruz attacked the high school. "Consider the facts," D’Onofrio said, "18-to-20-year-olds are three times more likely to commit gun homicides."

Several speakers repeated D’Onofrio’s claim before the subcommittee advanced H.B. 1223 along party lines, with Republicans in favor and Democrats opposed. (It has one more committee before it can be heard on the House floor.)

We wondered: Does data show the age cohort having that high of a propensity to fatally use firearms against others? And if so, why?

The families of Oliver and five others killed with guns are using artificial intelligence to create messages in their loved ones’ voices and robocalling them to senators and House members who support the National Rifle Association and oppose tougher gun laws. The protest is being run through The Shotline website, where visitors select which offices receive calls.

The campaign launched on Valentine’s Day because it’s the sixth anniversary of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting, which left the 17-year-old Oliver, 13 other students and three staff members dead. Oliver was murdered as he lay wounded on the floor, the fatal bullet blasting through the hand he raised as the 19-year-old killer leveled his AR-15-style semiautomatic rifle.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zerofoxgiven
Back