DNA Solves

TheArtfulDetective

A voice for the missing
Reaction score

Allan Terry Kaplan

atk.jpg

Case Classification: Endangered Missing
Missing Since: December 8, 1977
Location Last Seen: Boca Raton, Palm Beach County, Florida - Missing from Boynton Beach, Florida

Description:

• Date of Birth: April 10 or April 22, 1938
  • Race: White/Caucasian
  • Height: 5'-10" (70 inches)
  • Weight: 190 lbs
  • Hair Color: Black
  • Eye Color: Brown
  • Nickname/Alias: Unknown
  • Distinguishing Marks/Features: Wears eyeglasses.
  • Clothing & Personal Items: Wears two rings, one on each hand.
  • Identifiers: Unknown
Circumstances of Disappearance:
Kaplan was last seen leaving the restaurant he owned, the Banana Boat Lounge, in Boca Raton, Florida on December 8, 1977. He had been drinking there with a woman and then left the bar alone in the late evening hours. He has never been heard from again.

It was established that Kaplan made it back to his apartment in the 700 block of northeast 7th Street in Boynton Beach, Florida. His vehicle and the clothing he was wearing the evening of the 8th were located at his residence on December 12th. His wallet, watch, and other items he normally carried with him were missing however. He hasn't attempted to use any of his credit cards since he disappeared, and he left most of his money behind.

Authorities stated there were no indications of foul play in Kaplan's case, but it has not been ruled out. He owned two restaurants at the time of his disappearance, including the Mark Restaurant on Lake Worth Road, and left behind two daughters. His whereabouts remain unknown.

Investigators:
  • Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office: (561) 688-3000
    Reference Case #: 77-46986
NamUs Case Number: MP17678
NCIC Case Number: N/A

Missing Person / NamUs #MP17678
4058DMFL - Allan T. Kaplan
Allan Terry Kaplan – The Charley Project

Came across Kaplan's case by accident. What led me to his case was an article about the woman Kaplan left the bar with. She was arrested and charged (along with other people) with possession, sale and conspiracy to distribute cocaine.
Sharon Wead- Person who last saw Allan T. Kaplan - Newspapers.com

Although this happened in 1981, it made (and makes) me wonder if the woman had any involvement in K's disappearance. And this thought was further reinforced by an article stating that there were $5000 missing from K's restaurant's safe.
K and W "drove off in separate directions" but... did they really? Or that was what W told the detectives? Was there anyone else around to confirm this? CCTV footage? Anything...?

Of course, this is all speculation on my part. And MOO, JMO.

Allan T Kaplan-MP17678 - Newspapers.com

Allan_T_Kaplan_MP17678.jpg

MOO JMO

I doubt the model had anything to do with it after reading the rest of the old newspaper coverage. She probably just got mixed up with the wrong people later on. His disappearence certainly sounds beyond mysterious though. It would be useful if his daughters or other descendants if he has any would give DNA so they have DNA on him. The first post says he owned the restaurant he was last seen at and that's not accurate which goes to show later online sources like even the Doe Network and NamUs can get things wrong sometimes.

Someone on another site suggested this guy might be him. I didn't look to see if this Doe has a page on here. Kaplan's watch was missing and this Doe has a watch, but that's not a big thing. Just something I noticed. I think Kaplan's disappearence probably had something to do with business dealings of some sort and whoever did it covered their tracks well.

The disarray in his apartment suggests he left in a hurry maybe after receiving a phone call or getting a knock at the door. Maybe some organized crime or Mafia etc were somehow involved with the restaurants and he didn't find out until after he bought them and was in over his head. They never found evidence of such, but he was new to Florida and these restaurants and then he disappears.

Was there anyone previously involved with the restaurants before the bankruptcy sale whether they were criminals or not who might have wished him ill (even if it was just a personal grudge) for buying the restaurants and turning them into successful businesses? That could be another thing to consider as well if there was anyone who would profit from his death, but I guess that would have been obvious. Anyway, here's the link to this Doe https:///wiki/Brevard_County_John_Doe_(1981)[/URL]

2814UMFL- Unidentified Male​

Recon

Reconstruction of the victim.

Date of Discovery: July 2, 1981
Location of Discovery: Canaveral Groves, Brevard County, Florida
Estimated Date of Death: Up to 5 years prior
State of Remains: Partial skeletal
Cause of Death: Stab wound to the chest

Physical Description​

Estimated Age: 36-55 years old
Race: White
Height: 5'9"
Weight: Unknown
Hair Color: Unknown
Eye Color: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Examination of the skeleton indicated he had muscular build.

Identifiers​

Dentals: Available. Teeth # 1, 3, 4, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 14, 16, 17, 20, 30, 31 & 32 were lost during life - may have worn a removable plate, good dental evidence remained.
Fingerprints: Not available.
DNA: Not available

Clothing & Personal Items​

Clothing: Rubber strip with stiching, possibly from underwear.
Jewelry: Watch near site of discovery.
Additional Personal Items: Electric blanket.

Circumstances of Discovery​

On July 2, 1981, a half-buried skeleton was found in a wooded area at Satellite Blvd. N. of S.R. 520 between the St. Johns River and Interstate 95 off State Road 520, near Canaveral Groves.

A human skull and several other bones were wrapped in an electrical blanket.

Investigating Agency(s)​

Agency Name: District 18 Medical Examiner's Office
Agency Contact Person: N/A
Agency Phone Number: 321-633-1981
Agency E-Mail: N/A
Agency Case Number: 1981-00173

Agency Name: Brevard County Sheriff's Office
Agency Contact Person: N/A
Agency Phone Number: 321-454-6614
Agency E-Mail: N/A
Agency Case Number: Unknown

NCIC Case Number: Unknown
NamUs Case Number: 2311

Interestingly enough, the Banana Boat restaurant is still around. So are the apartments were he lived although that's less surprising. I looked up both out of curiosity. I wonder if maybe he was meeting someone else (or more than one person) first at the restaurant that night, before the model and her friend arrived, and if that someone or someones had anything to do with his disappearence if they contacted him again early the next morning? I wonder if peoole there that night were ever asked about that..employees of the restaurant, etc. If he did meet someone else first they weren't going to come forward and say they saw him that night if they had something to do with his disappearence the next day.

It's too bad there aren't dental records on him. That makes it hard to rule out potential matches. DNA would obviously be useful too especially these days, but not all older Doe cases have DNA, or useable DNA whereas having dentals is much more common in the case of unidentifed older Does. No finger prints from Kaplan is far less of an issue as most Does are found past the point of taking usable finger prints and there's usually not finger prints on record from missing people anyway. Just some thoughts I had on this case after looking into another cold case from this era on here, where the missing person did have dental records on file.

It's too bad there aren't dental records on him. That makes it hard to rule out potential matches. DNA would obviously be useful too especially these days, but not all older Doe cases have DNA, or useable DNA whereas having dentals is much more common in the case of unidentifed older Does. No finger prints from Kapla is far less of an issue as most Does are found past the point of taking usable finger prints and there's usually not finger prints on record from missing people anyway. Just some thoughts I had on this case after looking into another cold case from this era on here, where the missing person did have dental records on file.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Masskayaexodus
Back