FL FL - Austin Stephanos & Perry Cohen, both 14, Jupiter, 24 July 2015 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im thinking from the time it happened to now...There has to be video don't u think/
We have satelites out there watching... and im sure they watch our coastlines.

Its a good question about satellite imagery.

Where that would have been the most help would have been right after the storm passed or the morning after they went missing.
Because they had a good general idea where to look on the imagery.
And the important thing is the boat itself is what we could have looked for on the images which is much larger than people.

The problem now is that so much time has passed, checking those images is a daunting task for just small objects like the people.
And the area to search is too large an area that it would take a lot of time.

There are just too many things now that make it not feasable.

Its a good idea for future incidents like this though.
I wish the Coast Guard had a system in place that could use satellite images immediately after a boat goes missing to try to get accurate GPS coordinates.

The best approach would be some sort of computer software that could scan the images for us for larger type objects that resemble a boat.
Doing that right at the time the boat goes missing could get GPS coordinates to allow search parties to focus where to go.

It makes me wonder why that is not already in place.

If I had to guess I bet this has been thought of before and I bet money comes into play. The satellite companies want to be compensated for their imagery and it could be cost prohibited.

Maybe someday this sort of thing will be common practice.

We did have public searches of sattelite images for other boats and planes. Like the MH370 plane where people scanned the images looking for the plane. The problem is it is always a daunting task unless you have a focus area. The sections have to be broken down and people have to pick which section to search and report on.

Doing it quickly right after someone goes missing is important. And if something is spotted, being able to get resources to that spot is important.

And the other issue is when public does it, you get a lot of false reports because people want to see something that is not always the object you are looking for and that can waiste time and resources. Like the Cape Hatteras thing yesterday where some people think its them and some dont.

Its a good question about satellite imagery.

Where that would have been the most help would have been right after the storm passed or the morning after they went missing.
Because they had a good general idea where to look on the imagery.
And the important thing is the boat itself is what we could have looked for on the images which is much larger than people.

The problem now is that so much time has passed, checking those images is a daunting task for just small objects like the people.
And the area to search is too large an area that it would take a lot of time.

There are just too many things now that make it not feasable.

Its a good idea for future incidents like this though.
I wish the Coast Guard had a system in place that could use satellite images immediately after a boat goes missing to try to get accurate GPS coordinates.

The best approach would be some sort of computer software that could scan the images for us for larger type objects that resemble a boat.
Doing that right at the time the boat goes missing could get GPS coordinates to allow search parties to focus where to go.

It makes me wonder why that is not already in place.

If I had to guess I bet this has been thought of before and I bet money comes into play. The satellite companies want to be compensated for their imagery and it could be cost prohibited.

Maybe someday this sort of thing will be common practice.

We did have public searches of sattelite images for other boats and planes. Like the MH370 plane where people scanned the images looking for the plane. The problem is it is always a daunting task unless you have a focus area. The sections have to be broken down and people have to pick which section to search and report on.

Doing it quickly right after someone goes missing is important. And if something is spotted, being able to get resources to that spot is important.

And the other issue is when public does it, you get a lot of false reports because people want to see something that is not always the object you are looking for and that can waiste time and resources. Like the Cape Hatteras thing yesterday where some people think its them and some dont.
Tomnod http://www.tomnod.com/ is such a place where satellite searches are done with volunteers from the public. I wonder if this is not being done by the public for security reasons? It is right on the US coastline? Willing to bet someone has been looking - at least I would hope. JMO

Tomnod http://www.tomnod.com/ is such a place where satellite searches are done with volunteers from the public. I wonder if this is not being done by the public for security reasons? It is right on the US coastline? Willing to bet someone has been looking - at least I would hope. JMO

Yeah. That was the website that was used to look for the missing MH370 plane.

It doesnt hurt to try but I do remember seeing some of the images of objects in the water and even for a larger plane and plane parts it was difficult to make out things. For small bobbing heads in the water it would be very difficult.

Im usually optimistic with these sorts of things. For a missing boat or plane I think it would be great idea. Just not sure how feasible it would be to try to find 2 small bobbing heads or the ice chest.
You never know though.

I suppose it never hurts to try and one thing some maybe forgetting is that if they have their life jackets on they could still be floating for many days and weeks even if they dont survive.
I know it would be good to find them for the families sake even if they dont make it.

They would have to make sure the Coast Guard or a private plane is coordinated with the searching of the images because once you spot something, you need a way to get resources out to the GPS position.

Tomnod already said that due to the vast area, and size of the "target object" (ie, boys) that they would not be able to help.

There are so many variables that I can't really answer, but they could easily have become disoriented when the boat dumped. Imagine doing a somersault into the pool... Keep your eyes closed and tell me which way is up? Unless they could see land without binoculars, they'd have to wait to see which direction the sun moved in. The night sky, I'm not sure if they had that knowledge or not. The current is also dependent on where they were exactly, how far out, in the Gulf Stream (east or west, etc)... Too many variables

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And if they were not wearing life vests, the boat capsized suddenly, something whacks you in the head - the cooler, the boat, etc., then they were deceased last Friday, more than likely.

This might sound stupid but...
when Carlie Brucia went missing NASA had a video of her at the garage where she was abducted and the guy that took her.

Is it at all possible they would see these boys?

It was a surveillance camera at the car wash that recorded her abduction.

OT
In Carlie's case, the car wash video (AND) NASA technology were both involved.

"The surveillance camera at the car wash showed a man in a uniform type shirt approaching Carlie, saying something to her, and then leading her away.

NASA, with technology used in the investigation of the Space Shuttle Columbia disaster, assisted the investigation by working with the video to enchance the image."

http://crime.about.com/od/current/a/carliebrucia.htm

OT
In Carlie's case, the car wash video (AND) NASA technology were both involved.

"The surveillance camera at the car wash showed a man in a uniform type shirt approaching Carlie, saying something to her, and then leading her away.

NASA, with technology used in the investigation of the Space Shuttle Columbia disaster, assisted the investigation by working with the video to enchance the image."

http://crime.about.com/od/current/a/carliebrucia.htm

Ahhhhh Thanks!

Just thought id toss it out there.

I was taught that the correct thing to do would be to tether items to the boat such as life vests and even ice chest etc. In the event a boat capsizes, you would have an easier time getting these objects to use for your safety survival and there would be less flying objects to hit you during the violence of the boat capsizing. If you are going into the open ocean, it seems wise to have an emergency raft available along with lights and rescue equipment. I would think it would be best to tether the raft to the casized boat but maybe not?

My guess is, at the presser they will announce that they will stop searching now.

Is it possible they never meant to go out that far but were pushed by the wind coming from the West? Or is the boat too small/low to be pushed by strong winds?

Is it possible they never meant to go out that far but were pushed by the wind coming from the West? Or is the boat too small/low to be pushed by strong winds?
My thoughts as well. I wonder if it wasn't meant to happen - going put so far. At the same time were they adequately prepared for the "what ifs"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member