FL FL - Austin Stephanos & Perry Cohen, both 14, Jupiter, 24 July 2015 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would be more hopeful if they were in a blow up dinghy. But it is much harder for them to be in the water in a vest, for all of these days and nights. I am not so optimistic anymore. :candle: :candle:

Nothing found by Coast Guard on the initial report, unfortunately Tybee Island is about 100 miles west of where anything would be found.

#BREAKING coast guard says 2 helicopters and a boat completed searches off Tybee Island finding no signs of any person or object. @CBS12

I cant stop thinking of and praying for these boys.
It feels frightening to think of them alone on the sea, so far from home.
I am reminded of the local boys from Sullivan's Island who did make it.
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/7706851/ns/us_news/t/two-teens-rescued-after-days-adrift/#.VbhIDGCJnHg
‘Caught in a rip tide’
The boys had set out to fish for shark near a sandbar a couple of dozen yards off Sullivans Island in their small sailboat on April 24. Forecasters that day were warning boaters about rough conditions.

Keep praying.

JMO

Laurence Gonzales, the author of Deep Survival: Who Lives, Who Dies, and Why, said the very vague rule of thumb is humans can stay alive three minutes without air, three days without water and three weeks without food but examples of defying that abound. The longest someone has been known to survive in the open ocean without water was about five days, he said, but whether the boys had supplies, wore life jackets or are clinging to something could help."People will constantly surprise you," said Gonzales, an author of four books on survival whose own father was a World War II pilot who survived being shot down. "You'll think, 'Surely this guy is dead.' And you'll go out and there he will be alive."
Dr. Claude Piantadosi, a Duke University medical professor who authored The Biology of Human Survival: Life and Death in Extreme Environments, agreed, saying the obstacles were steep but the teens could still be alive. The variables, he said, are countless: Could they have clung to a cooler, perhaps, or used it to capture rainwater? Could they have avoided the threat of sharks or other marine life? Could they fight their own thirst and thoughts of drinking the salt water?
"Even though the odds are against them, I certainly wouldn't call off the search,"
http://www.tampabay.com/news/public...ands-search-for-missing-florida-teens/2238989

There has been plenty of heavy rain each afternoon / evening over the Gulf Stream waters. The could easily collect a good amount of fresh rain water in the large cooler. I really wish they had stayed with the boat. Agree with Dr. Claude, keep searching.

I slept two hours, hoping to find good news when I came back on - so disappointed to hear the Tybee Island sighting didn't pan out.

Has this been looked at? It was posted on a SM page, in the area.

13:13 looks like it has two people really close to the waters edge.

[video=youtu;ap-Noz3eZZQ]http://youtu.be/ap-Noz3eZZQ[/video]

Nothing found by Coast Guard on the initial report, unfortunately Tybee Island is about 100 miles west of where anything would be found.

#BREAKING coast guard says 2 helicopters and a boat completed searches off Tybee Island finding no signs of any person or object. @CBS12

Dang, in my heart I was thinking maybe Tybee(RIP) had somehow been a guardian angel to these boys.

View attachment 78939
The red pin is the marina they got gas at, that is on the intracoastal. The Jupiter Inlet is just south of the red pin. They would have exited the marina and gone left into the inlet. Had they gone right, they would have remained in the intracoastal until they crossed under the bridge marked 811, west of there is considered the Loxahatchee River. The intracoastal continues south just below the 811 marker.

Just as a personal aside- My husband was born and raised in Jupiter; we just moved from there in January. He would not take a 19 ft boat through the inlet unless it was a flat calm day.

I am a lake girl and not too familiar with the ocean, inlets, etc. I have seen where posters have commented on the skill needed to navigate the inlet out to the ocean. I've seen speculation that the boys could have capsized as they left the inlet and met with the ocean. Looking at the map, if they did capsize soon after entering the ocean wouldn't that have been fairly close to shore??

And because of my lack of knowledge...is there beach along the shore where you come out of the inlet? Seems like the area would be rather shallow closer to the shore? Or does it drop off right away? There must be some type of deeper channel to allow the depth for boats?

Thanks for your insight!

Has this been looked at? It was posted on a SM page, in the area.

13:13 looks like it has two people really close to the waters edge.

[video=youtu;ap-Noz3eZZQ]http://youtu.be/ap-Noz3eZZQ[/video]

As far as I know, yes a few people have gone there. It's just on the northern side of Jupiter Island, so people were able to immediately go look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am a lake girl and not too familiar with the ocean, inlets, etc. I have seen where posters have commented on the skill needed to navigate the inlet out to the ocean. I've seen speculation that the boys could have capsized as they left the inlet and met with the ocean. Looking at the map, if they did capsize soon after entering the ocean wouldn't that have been fairly close to shore??

And because of my lack of knowledge...is there beach along the shore where you come out of the inlet? Seems like the area would be rather shallow closer to the shore? Or does it drop off right away? There must be some type of deeper channel to allow the depth for boats?

Thanks for your insight!

If they capsized in or just outside the inlet, they would have been seen; there are usually tons of fishermen on the dogleg (southern side of the inlet) at all hours.

There is beach to the north and to the south of the inlet, where it is somewhat shallow very close to the shore. The mouth of the inlet however, also has the shelf/drop off but it goes way out. This is why it's so choppy and unpredictable just outside the inlet. It's deep enough for large yachts and fishing boats, the Port of Palm Beach (30 mins south or so) is where the *BIG* stuff goes.

a09e778d95d2ad3b7c237ec05d0a471a.jpg

Just hearing search is over ..

:mad:

:crying:

ETA ..coast guard page saying this media account by Fox is FALSE

?? Where did you see that

On CNN channel just now

ETA I would think that personal planes and boats will still be looking for them . Government ..suspended

ETA #2.. Was Fox ..houseguest changed channel and coast guard is saying media is WRONG and search not called off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member