FL FL - Austin Stephanos & Perry Cohen, both 14, Jupiter, 24 July 2015 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not sure how much $283k in private donations will buy, and how much longer volunteers will continue looking.
If it were my boy I'd want at least some of that money spent on divers in the area near where they took off/their boat was found. I don't know if the USCG went underwater since it was a search and rescue. To me, any search effort minus (at least) an attempt at underwater, is incomplete.

If it were my boy I'd want at least some of that money spent on divers in the area near where they took off/their boat was found. I don't know if the USCG went underwater since it was a search and rescue. To me, any search effort minus (at least) an attempt at underwater, is incomplete.

The problem is, we don't know how far offshore they made it before the engine became disabled. We also don't know how far the boat drifted before it capsized. The currents in that area are strong so an exact (gps) location would be required.

But at some point, wouldn't the $$ spent by private searchers eclipse the reward amount (100k)? I honestly have no idea. How many searchers are doing it because there is still hope they are still alive, and/or because the case is very hot in the news? It's hard for me to think there is going to be a decent-sized search still going on in a couple of weeks. I am not sure how much $283k in private donations will buy, and how much longer volunteers will continue looking.

There is an astonishing amount of money coming in- I'm not making any opinion-based statements here, just detailing what I *know*.

Main - $295k
Secondary (plane funds)- $9k (I cannot find it now)
Fundraiser (Jumby Bay)-$120k
Wells Fargo Account- Unknown
Fundraiser(Square Grouper)- TBD

There are countless other fundraisers: Tshirts, stickers, bracelets, jewelry, amounts from those are unknown.

Numerous private people and companies are paying to fuel multiple planes and boats out of their own pockets.

There is also a push on the main group for everyone to donate $5 to the main , which would ultimately add $700k.

All of this is after only a week. There are large and well-known companies/restaurants offering their facilities or materials for fundraisers.

They aren't going to run out of money for this private search any time soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Impossible suggestion.

How willl the gps transmit?

link:

http://seagpstracking.com/products_yacht-alarm_boat-security.htm

Global Positioning System. Global Ocean Security are widely used as monitoring devices. GOST carries quality GPS systems for all boat aficionados. The features of each Nav-Tracker & GOST Phantom GPS are outstanding!

The Nav-Tracker 2.0 will keep you informed of your boat's location through a GPS service provided by the new Inmarsat Isat M2M service.

Real-Time GPS Monitoring!

- See more at: http://seagpstracking.com/products_yacht-alarm_boat-security.htm#sthash.TdrDS5Oe.dpuf

I was taught that the correct thing to do would be to tether items to the boat such as life vests and even ice chest etc. In the event a boat capsizes, you would have an easier time getting these objects to use for your safety survival and there would be less flying objects to hit you during the violence of the boat capsizing. If you are going into the open ocean, it seems wise to have an emergency raft available along with lights and rescue equipment. I would think it would be best to tether the raft to the casized boat but maybe not?

I thought the seat cushions were floatation devices also.

Such incredibly sad news; thoughts are with everyone involved.

Regulations mandate free and unfettered floatation devices; these items must be unattached.

We have been inspected by coast guard while on the water about 3 times. We passed each inspection, but on the first one they pointed out that our IV PFD was stored under a seat rung, which meant it would not be able to fall free in a disaster. They specifically told us it could not be attached in any way.

They have looked for that in each inspection.

link:

http://seagpstracking.com/products_yacht-alarm_boat-security.htm

Global Positioning System. Global Ocean Security are widely used as monitoring devices. GOST carries quality GPS systems for all boat aficionados. The features of each Nav-Tracker & GOST Phantom GPS are outstanding!

The Nav-Tracker 2.0 will keep you informed of your boat's location through a GPS service provided by the new Inmarsat Isat M2M service.

Real-Time GPS Monitoring!

- See more at: http://seagpstracking.com/products_yacht-alarm_boat-security.htm#sthash.TdrDS5Oe.dpuf

None of these links work for me. (I clicked for more information). I get an error for each one.

Can you click to more information such as cost?

Divers went under and around the area the boat was found in. Where else should they dive? They know the general direction they went as they left the inlet, but nothing beyond there.

Even if they dive off Jupiter and find the rods or other debris, there's no way to know how far they've drifted in a week.

The USCG has gone above and beyond their normal SAR guidelines because they searched as if the boys weren't in the water until just before the boat was found. Today makes 5 days since the boat was found, and that is the extreme outer limit for survivability. The water temp is below 98.6, so hypothermia is a legitimate factor. Extreme sunburn, fatigue from treading water, starvation from lack of food, dehydration from lack of water and being in saltwater, possibility that they were injured by the boat, its contents, and/or marine life, and the biggest one is that if they are drifting with the Gulf Stream, they are now somewhere halfway between here and England.

I'm really not trying to be harsh or rude or snarky, I promise you I'm not; but this is the reality of the situation. Having hopes and praying is great, but so is being realistic and knowing when it's beyond anyone's control.

On both of their Instagram accounts there is not one image of them wearing a life jacket out on a boat. [emoji17][emoji53]
Which makes me mad. In the Gulf of Mexico everyone 16 and under must wear a life jacket and they will board your boat and check! It's a big fine. We have had our boat boarded more than once when deep sea fishing out at the rigs. Why are rules not the same in the Atlantic?

There is an astonishing amount of money coming in- I'm not making any opinion-based statements here, just detailing what I *know*.

Main - $295k
Secondary (plane funds)- $9k (I cannot find it now)
Fundraiser (Jumby Bay)-$120k
Wells Fargo Account- Unknown
Fundraiser(Square Grouper)- TBD

There are countless other fundraisers: Tshirts, stickers, bracelets, jewelry, amounts from those are unknown.

Numerous private people and companies are paying to fuel multiple planes and boats out of their own pockets.

There is also a push on the main group for everyone to donate $5 to the main , which would ultimately add $700k.

All of this is after only a week. There are large and well-known companies/restaurants offering their facilities or materials for fundraisers.

They aren't going to run out of money for this private search any time soon.

But people are donating money because the case is "hot" in the news and there is still hope they could be alive. The amount of money coming in is going to drop significantly in the next week or two. The media/public interest in this story is all about the possiblity the boys could still be alive, and the farther we get from July 24, the less of a possiblity that becomes. Until they actually make the $700k from the group, it does not exist. Altogether, they have close to $450k. Making that much in the first week is impressive, but it just tells me that the amount they make in the second week will be a small % of that, the third week will be an even smaller %. I don't know how long that would last, how much does a day of searching cost? Of course there are so many variables, such as how many planes are volunteer v. paid for, etc. When you say "anytime soon" what is "soon"?

you can withdraw money from as soon as there is money to withdraw. Its not true that the money isn't real until they get ghe full 700k.

Unfortunately, that's what I'm thinking. I don't know how much time they had to "prep" before the boat capsized. I keep hearing about how the cooler floats and they could make a raft with the life vests... But that's all assuming they were able to grab any of that once they went in - hopefully they at least got life vests on. They didn't capsize in calm waters.

I feel for their families. They've got to be going through so many "what ifs" right now?

I have only hope that a Miracle will keep them alive and found! A Miracle is what it will take for these boy's to survive. No matter how cool and confident their parents are that they are very resourceful, seasoned boaters --the way that storm came up and the photos of the waves they would be dealing with had made seasoned adult fisherman head inland while seeing them go out into a darkened stormy sky.

That would be my first hint that perhaps as parents we had not prepared them as well as we thought. I do not care how much time 14 years olds (children) spend on the water with their parents or by themselves in the ICW -----mother natures fury makes grown men unable to think clearly. Do they really think their 14 year old sons would be cool headed enough to go up against a storm??? Those poor kids did not know what hit them.

......and I find it rather disturbing to watch the parents interviewed with a calmness and confidence that makes one wonder? I mean to be sitting on a sofa calmly with another mother and talk about how sure their kids are just fine--in fact as their father said "are probably spear fishing and having Sushi" I know we all have our ways of coping but this is just bazaar and totally disconnected, don't you think??

For the Austin and Perry's sake as well as their parents I truly do hope they are just fine and waiting to be found.....but I am not sure if all the prayers and vigils in the world can help them now!

But people are donating money because the case is "hot" in the news and there is still hope they could be alive. The amount of money coming in is going to drop significantly in the next week or two. The media/public interest in this story is all about the possiblity the boys could still be alive, and the farther we get from July 24, the less of a possiblity that becomes. Until they actually make the $700k from the group, it does not exist. Altogether, they have close to $450k. Making that much in the first week is impressive, but it just tells me that the amount they make in the second week will be a small % of that, the third week will be an even smaller %. I don't know how long that would last, how much does a day of searching cost? Of course there are so many variables, such as how many planes are volunteer v. paid for, etc. When you say "anytime soon" what is "soon"?

All true. In all honesty, I don't know. They do have the financial means to continue the search even after the donated money is gone, so there's really no way to know.

you can withdraw money from as soon as there is money to withdraw. Its not true that the money isn't real until they get ghe full 700k.

I never implied that. I meant that just because there are 180k people on the group, it doesn't mean they are all going to donate $5. The only money that exists is the money that has been donated, not some hypothetical amount.

I never implied that. I meant that just because there are 180k people on the group, it doesn't mean they are all going to donate $5. The only money that exists is the money that has been donated, not some hypothetical amount.

I was just pointing out that the potential is there. Probably won't happen, but it's being pushed hard.

They have also said that it takes 5 days to access the money, not sure if that's true or not. I've never used

Having hopes and praying is great, but so is being realistic and knowing when it's beyond anyone's control.
Thanks for the info that they searched nearby. I didn't say whether or not I thought they were alive. I meant searching underwater for a body or items missing. And yes I know about the high amount of sharks in the area. Maybe the sharks are a reason they wouldn't do that, and also the hopes of the families and the community. Obviously all JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth