Identified! FL - Big Cypress Natl Preserve, Male Hiker, Denim & “Mostly Harmless” July 2018 - Vance Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure LE ran his finger prints through their system(s), collected dna and ran it through NamUs, with zero results.

This is a morbid question - but what happened to his remains?

I ran across a forum last week, now I can't find it. But I recall a hiker who claimed to have shared a camp site with MH. Said he was a very nice guy, they chatted for several hours that night. He talked about having an abusive father when he was a child. No mention of current family, children, spouse, etc. Then in the morning, they wished each other luck, went their separate ways. He was sad to see his remains were found.
I read the same thing. That, and something about an ex-girlfriend.

Running the finger prints/DNA/Dental will only work if all profiles have one or more of them. Unfortunately that is not the case.

Earlier I posted about Steve Billman. He had an abusive home life..Didn't have much to do with family--On his missing FB page someone close to him thought he may have left to start a new life. He went to California for a couple of weeks prior to disappearing.

Whats everyone's take on Steven Billman (photo from around 2012-2014)

5'8
Brown hair
Blue eyes
Age now 31
Pinky finger did not bend

Missing Person Case

billman-cropped.jpg
steven_alan_billman_2.jpg

Very very rough family life according to posts on his missing page.
Steven Billman Is Missing!

He worked in a marijuana facility. Went missing in 2014. Truck was found late 2016 and had changed hands several times. Police believe he was murdered as blood stains were found in the truck, however their was various blood types.
"“They did recover blood stains inside the truck. They located not only in the bed of the truck but they located behind the seat. They located some on the seat and then some on the headliner,” said Det. Frawley. They found several different types of blood which are now being tested for a DNA profile."
Missing Thurston County man believed to be victim of homicide; ‘We want Steev-o back’

I couldn't find any more information on the results of the blood or how much, if any was Steven's. Police suspect his employer but no one has been charged. Most information they have is street word...not enough to charge anyone. And nothing more since early 2017 about his case or the blood results. If a small amount of blood, could be just from a cut or not even his.

Is it possible he sold his truck and chose to disappear..start a whole new life?

Running the finger prints/DNA/Dental will only work if all profiles have one or more of them. Unfortunately that is not the case.

Earlier I posted about Steve Billman. He had an abusive home life..Didn't have much to do with family--On his missing FB page someone close to him thought he may have left to start a new life. He went to California for a couple of weeks prior to disappearing.
I've seen a few people mention the pinky but I don't see anything wrong with any of MH's fingers...
f8dced29-0211-4821-b529-55f884e7dce4-mostly_harmless.jpg
bcb65923-07e1-4536-918b-5ca6aa705794-mostly_harmless2.PNG

They all look perfectly normal and bendy to me.

It appears he met a lot of people on his travels. He made a good impression, people remembered him and spoke fondly of him.

IMO, he also didn’t want to have his identity known. It is a mystery, especially with social media, that no one from his non hiking life has come forward, even past co-workers. The pictures of him they were able to compile and release are REALLY good.

His end appeared to be very sad, he was alone as he left this world. That makes me incredibly sad. At the same time, maybe that’s exactly what he wanted and he enjoyed the great outdoors until the very end.

It appears he met a lot of people on his travels. He made a good impression, people remembered him and spoke fondly of him.

IMO, he also didn’t want to have his identity known. It is a mystery, especially with social media, that no one from his non hiking life has come forward, even past co-workers. The pictures of him they were able to compile and release are REALLY good.

His end appeared to be very sad, he was alone as he left this world. That makes me incredibly sad. At the same time, maybe that’s exactly what he wanted and he enjoyed the great outdoors until the very end.
I’ve been wondering why he allowed himself to be photographed/video’d along the trail if he was trying to stay under the radar... totally agree about how sad it is that he left alone.

No one who "knew" him appears to be trying to find him. Maybe there's no one to look. He lived on trail for quite a while all by his lonesome lone. His encounters with others was reported as positive. He died under what seems to us as sad but not really suspicious conditions. It is tribute to his spirit that he has touched so many of us websluethers. Perhaps we should honor that same spirit and just let him go?

No one who "knew" him appears to be trying to find him. Maybe there's no one to look. He lived on trail for quite a while all by his lonesome lone. His encounters with others was reported as positive. He died under what seems to us as sad but not really suspicious conditions. It is tribute to his spirit that he has touched so many of us websluethers. Perhaps we should honor that same spirit and just let him go?

A very good question. I know this dilemma very well, especially in suicide cases where it is obvious somebody wanted to go anonymous by choice. I honor his spirit but at this point I don't know what to feel or think. It's your choice after all.

@Catmammy, you do make a really good point.

But then I get this thought - what if any surviving relatives are elderly (parent(s) even) and they are just not social media savvy?

But I do personally believe he wanted anonymity, then your post makes even more sense.

I've also thought about this. If he did ditch the pack with ID (if he even had ID with him to begin with) it is a possibility he really did want to fade into the sunset anonymously. On the other hand, if he choose this path because of a past issue/transgression or because he was sick and didn't want to be a burden to those that cared about him or deep depression - in those moments you arent' thinking clearly.

I just don't know. He seemed to leave an impression with strangers along the trail. People that maybe he felt wouldn't judge him or pity him for his past. People that didn't have to know he was sick because they didn't know him "before". Maybe he would be okay with all of us knowing who he was.

Thinking about you Denim.

Last edited:
I've also thought about this. If he did ditch the pack with ID (if he even had ID with him to begin with) it is a possibility he really did want to fade into the sunset anonymously. On the other hand, if he choose this path because of a past issue/transgression or because he was sick and didn't want to be a burden to those that cared about him or deep depression - in those moments you arent' thinking clearly.

I just don't know. He seemed to leave an impression with strangers along the trail. People that maybe he felt would judge him or pity him for his past. People that didn't have to know he was sick because they didn't know him "before". Maybe he would be okay with all of us knowing who he was.

Thinking about you Denim.

Very well said.

Ben Bilemy, you are still heavy in my thoughts. I continue to share his picture and look for people who aren't formally missing but hope to be located by family or friends.

Someone told me yesterday that in the Turkish language specifically spoken in Iraq, the phrase, 'Ben bilemiy' (notice the extra i) is the equivalent of saying,
"I dunno" as in slang for I Don't Know. I thought this was worth sharing. I dont know anyone who speaks Turkish but maybe you do. I have often gravitated toward the idea that he may have been in the military and also the idea that he may have had a TBI or been in a fugue state, possibly not knowing rather than concealing his identity.

Ben Bilemy, you are still heavy in my thoughts. I continue to share his picture and look for people who aren't formally missing but hope to be located by family or friends.

Someone told me yesterday that in the Turkish language specifically spoken in Iraq, the phrase, 'Ben bilemiy' (notice the extra i) is the equivalent of saying,
"I dunno" as in slang for I Don't Know. I thought this was worth sharing. I dont know anyone who speaks Turkish but maybe you do. I have often gravitated toward the idea that he may have been in the military and also the idea that he may have had a TBI or been in a fugue state, possibly not knowing rather than concealing his identity.

Marvelously thinking out of the box EllieGato. Did you check with Turkish native speaking friends? I could if you didn't. Do you consider the possibility or suggest he could be Turkish? In Turkish it's Ben Bilmiyor (I do not know)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member