Identified! FL - Big Cypress Natl Preserve, Male Hiker, Denim & “Mostly Harmless” July 2018 - Vance Rodriguez #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Came upon this missing person--had to translate the page..Swedish/Polish? Figured I would look in other countries....Couldn't find any updates or other photos..

Piotr Rybczyński has gone missing
BY KAROL P IN NEWS , HEALTH · FEBRUARY 1, 2017 · NO COMMENTS

TAGS: CENTER FOR MISSING PEOPLE , CHATHAM , ITAKA , PIOTR RYBCZYŃSKI , MISSING

Piotr Hubert Rybczyński is missing in Chatham

On December 28, 2015, Piotr Hubert Rybczyński was lost in Chatham (Great Britain) . He is 36 years old, 180 cm tall and has gray eyes.

Whoever has seen Piotr Hubert Rybczyński or has any information about his fate is asked to contact ITAKA - Missing People's Research Center at +48 22 654 70 70. You can also write to ITAKI on this matter : itaka@zaginieni.pl. We guarantee discretion to our informers.
Zaginął Piotr Rybczyński | Wirtualny Sztokholm

This unidentified man is in my mind so often. It's baffling how there are so many known contacts with him and so many pictures of him alive, and yet his identity has yet to be found. I have a hard time seeing any resemblance to the pictures of missing people posted here. Of all the pictures the only one I felt looked like him was the actor Tony Dow and of course that's not him.

It seems like technology could solve this, it's just a matter of getting it in front of the right people at the right company or governemnt agency.

Came upon this missing person--had to translate the page..Swedish/Polish? Figured I would look in other countries....Couldn't find any updates or other photos..

Piotr Rybczyński has gone missing
BY KAROL P IN NEWS , HEALTH · FEBRUARY 1, 2017 · NO COMMENTS

TAGS: CENTER FOR MISSING PEOPLE , CHATHAM , ITAKA , PIOTR RYBCZYŃSKI , MISSING

Piotr Hubert Rybczyński is missing in Chatham

On December 28, 2015, Piotr Hubert Rybczyński was lost in Chatham (Great Britain) . He is 36 years old, 180 cm tall and has gray eyes.

Whoever has seen Piotr Hubert Rybczyński or has any information about his fate is asked to contact ITAKA - Missing People's Research Center at +48 22 654 70 70. You can also write to ITAKI on this matter : itaka@zaginieni.pl. We guarantee discretion to our informers.
Zaginął Piotr Rybczyński | Wirtualny Sztokholm

Unfortunately I expect this man would have either a Polish or British accent depending on where he originated - it looks as though he was Polish as Itaka is a Polish service (.pl domain, and the language of the website is also Polish.)

He does look rather like MH, I agree.

I think about “Denim” so often, it’s crazy. My mind will wonder to how happy he seemed, how many people he touched with that smile...and then how his life ended. It seems tragic. It IS tragic to pass away and not even have your name. He most surely has at least some peripheral family and friends. I like to think they think of how he’s enjoying hiking that day. Everyone deserves a name. They deserve to know that he’s no longer hiking, on the Earth anyway. They don’t deserve to one day feel he abandoned them because they never see or hear from him again. He doesn’t deserve to be thought of as abandoning them. I do wish we, or anyone, could find his identity. Onward, onward....

I think about “Denim” so often, it’s crazy. My mind will wonder to how happy he seemed, how many people he touched with that smile...and then how his life ended. It seems tragic. It IS tragic to pass away and not even have your name. He most surely has at least some peripheral family and friends. I like to think they think of how he’s enjoying hiking that day. Everyone deserves a name. They deserve to know that he’s no longer hiking, on the Earth anyway. They don’t deserve to one day feel he abandoned them because they never see or hear from him again. He doesn’t deserve to be thought of as abandoning them. I do wish we, or anyone, could find his identity. Onward, onward....
I can’t help but wonder if he was happy because he left an unpleasant life behind to hike anonymously. And that trying to link him back to that life may not be what he wanted. I just don’t know, but that seems likely if there wasn’t a single piece of ID or contact list on him.

I can’t help but wonder if he was happy because he left an unpleasant life behind to hike anonymously. And that trying to link him back to that life may not be what he wanted. I just don’t know, but that seems likely if there wasn’t a single piece of ID or contact list on him.

I’ve thought about that, too. I wonder how long he planned on continuously hiking? If it was the rest of his life, then he achieved his passion. The hardest part for me is knowing why he died, or why we think he died. I think it was starvation/dehydration, iirc? That’s what bothers me the most.

@Valiant , that’s how I’m feeling about MH today. IMO, he took steps not to have his true identity known, for whatever reason. People that hiked with him sensed this. What was recovered from his belongings says this.

I personally don’t believe he’s in any missing database. People become estranged from loved ones. They wish to be left alone. Years going by with no contact is normal.

The nosey part of me is curious and would like to know who he is. I feel bad for saying that because it most likely was not what he wanted.

@Valiant , that’s how I’m feeling about MH today. IMO, he took steps not to have his true identity known, for whatever reason. People that hiked with him sensed this. What was recovered from his belongings says this.

I personally don’t believe he’s in any missing database. People become estranged from loved ones. They wish to be left alone. Years going by with no contact is normal.

The nosey part of me is curious and would like to know who he is. I feel bad for saying that because it most likely was not what he wanted.

We simply have no way to know, really. I think he’s likely remembered by hundreds of people that crossed paths with him hiking. He was a free spirit of the forests. Perhaps he achieved everything that truly embodies a “free spirit”.

The thing that upsets me is how he died. Actual starvation. That’s supposed to be an extremely painful way to die. He didn’t deserve that. I hope he somehow knew/knows that he’s touched so many of our lives, even people he never met. I smile when I think of him. I cry when I think of how his story ended. I think how he died is what upsets me the very most. Alone, starving, thirsty, weak, in pain. Nobody to help him. I guess he chose that lonely path for some reason. I hope he’s happy and hiking the best trails on the other side.:)

This is kind of off-topic, but maybe something similar to what happened to this woman happened to Denim/Mostly Harmless, IMO:

Posted yesterday at 10:25 AM [EDT] (time per “Edit History”):
“MISSING PERSON: [RSS] - [R] was reported missing by family members who last had contact with her in the fall of 2017. Anyone with information about the whereabouts of [R] are ask to contact Detective Darrin Whitaker at 828.694.3098 #missingperson #hcso” (BBM)

Posted yesterday at 6:17 PM [EDT]:
“*** UPDATE: Please be advised through media efforts and the public’s assistance, detectives have just confirmed Ms. is safe and the missing person request can be canceled.****”

Henderson County Sheriff's Office, Hendersonville North Carolina

In the “Comments” section, someone asks whether the family just report her missing even though they had lost contact with R in 2017, to which the SO confirms that is the case. The rest of the thread (the one that starts with KH’s question) is interesting, too, IMO.

According to the article below:
“Originally, deputies had asked for help finding Ms. after her family filed a missing persons report with them. Major Frank Stout says the family and Ms. had not been in contact due to a falling out.”

Henderson County deputies say missing woman not heard from since fall of 2017 is safe | Investigations | foxcarolina.com

I wonder what prompted Ms. S’s family to finally file a missing person’s report. A gravely ill family member? A new grandchild? Or someone forgave her?

Clearly, in this case, that one right person came across the Facebook post or saw a news segment on TV or something like that.

I suppose it is possible to keep your identity unknown even in this day and age, at least for a while.

Last edited:
I suppose it is possible to keep your identity unknown even in this day and age, at least for a while.

I'd be your worst nightmare if I ever disappeared. I'm the only one in the world with my name and there is not one single photo of me except from my childhood and a few school pics. I refuse. I also do not carry a phone. I hardly ever go to the doctor or dentist. How would you find out who I was?
This guy looks so friendly though. Like that sociable charming guy with "the eyes" everone remembers...
What was the accent?

37% of the population in Poland speak English...

How many of them speak it with an American accent? Sorry, I just don't see it being possible he was from outside the US. Possibly he could be a Canadian who had lived in the US for some time... But beyond that I doubt he was a foreigner. MOO.

This is kind of off-topic, but maybe something similar to what happened to this woman happened to Denim/Mostly Harmless, IMO:

Posted yesterday at 10:25 AM [EDT] (time per “Edit History”):
“MISSING PERSON: [RSS] - [R] was reported missing by family members who last had contact with her in the fall of 2017. Anyone with information about the whereabouts of [R] are ask to contact Detective Darrin Whitaker at 828.694.3098 #missingperson #hcso” (BBM)

Posted yesterday at 6:17 PM [EDT]:
“*** UPDATE: Please be advised through media efforts and the public’s assistance, detectives have just confirmed Ms. is safe and the missing person request can be canceled.****”

Henderson County Sheriff's Office, Hendersonville North Carolina

In the “Comments” section, someone asks whether the family just report her missing even though they had lost contact with R in 2017, to which the SO confirms that is the case. The rest of the thread (the one that starts with KH’s question) is interesting, too, IMO.

According to the article below:
“Originally, deputies had asked for help finding Ms. after her family filed a missing persons report with them. Major Frank Stout says the family and Ms. had not been in contact due to a falling out.”

Henderson County deputies say missing woman not heard from since fall of 2017 is safe | Investigations | foxcarolina.com

I wonder what prompted Ms. S’s family to finally file a missing person’s report. A gravely ill family member? A new grandchild? Or someone forgave her?

Clearly, in this case, that one right person came across the Facebook post or saw a news segment on TV or something like that.

I think things like that happen all the time. When someone is an adult who communicates infrequently to begin with and then they stop communicating completely, most people decide to let them go. Maybe she married someone the family didn't like. Maybe he had a drug or alcohol problem. Maybe she always borrowed money and never paid it back. Maybe he couldn't keep a steady job and always had debt collectors calling. Maybe the person has a history of petty crimes and the family just doesn't trust them. Sometimes it can be a relief when a person stops calling-- even if you love them and wish they cared enough to keep in touch. The family often chooses to believe the person is finally happy and think they don't call because they don't need anything. Or the flip side of that is-- someone may come from a highly dysfunctional family and choose to cut off contact as an adult. Maybe there was abuse. Maybe they were the only one who had a good paying job and they got tired of everyone in their family asking for money. Maybe family gatherings have always been a source of grief/tension/stress and they decided to end the stress by cutting everyone off. Not everyone has family they are close to or friends that are close enough to realize when someone is missing. MOO.

Hope I’m not breaking any rules as I usually just lurk and don’t post much at all and this May be a long shot but I stumbled upon this person on Facebook and the resemblance is just so strong I had to come share and ask opinions! This man is alive and well but possibly a brother, son, relative?

I am not an expert on the rules, but I do think checking in on people who are not missing who bear a resemblance (even if it is strong) is not going to be how this case gets solved (My opinion only, of course). I've been told over my life that I have several dopplegangers out there who are of no relation to me.

I am still hoping for more publicity in the right areas where he had connections. We all have pet theories naturally, but I am in the camp that thinks he was who he said he was - a tech guy who worked around NYC and likely earned decent pay, who either got a health surprise or a wild hair and decided to leave working life and hit the trail. I work in tech and have known a few guys who this (is not) but could be.

How many of them speak it with an American accent? Sorry, I just don't see it being possible he was from outside the US. Possibly he could be a Canadian who had lived in the US for some time... But beyond that I doubt he was a foreigner. MOO.

Been thinking about the accent thing, and it occured to me that he might have had some accent. He mentioned Louisiana and NYC, both areas where people tend to have noticeably different speech patterns. If he had traces of his background in his voice, he might have picked those locations to cover up where he was really from.

(Related funny story: Years ago Mr. Carbuff and I went to Australia. He grew up in Queens and I'm from Montana. Nowhere in Australia were we identified as American. In Sydney, they thought we were from Perth. In Cairns, they thought we were Sydneysiders. In Perth, they thought we were from Queensland. Seems like people are often pretty good at picking up "not from here" but not as good at identifying what the difference is.)

Been thinking about the accent thing, and it occured to me that he might have had some accent. He mentioned Louisiana and NYC, both areas where people tend to have noticeably different speech patterns. If he had traces of his background in his voice, he might have picked those locations to cover up where he was really from.

(Related funny story: Years ago Mr. Carbuff and I went to Australia. He grew up in Queens and I'm from Montana. Nowhere in Australia were we identified as American. In Sydney, they thought we were from Perth. In Cairns, they thought we were Sydneysiders. In Perth, they thought we were from Queensland. Seems like people are often pretty good at picking up "not from here" but not as good at identifying what the difference is.)

Oh, I love this. I know this means that you & Mr. Carbuff have converging vocal patterns, funny to think that yours is converging toward the South Seas!

Strong Boston accents? ;)

Sometimes people just end up with neutral accents. My mother and her brother grew up in the same household, but he has a strong Boston accent and she doesn't. I work with siblings who are the same way, one sister sounds like the stereotypical Medfordian and the other has all her r's intact. I had to learn to hide my accent when I was living in Philly or they'd make fun of me (even though their accents are worse) but it came back with a vengeance since I moved back.

Sometimes they can be really subtle. I used to date a guy from South Jersey whose accent was completely neutral except for the word stupid (pronounced stoh-pit). You'd never be able to guess otherwise.

I know the hikers who met MH have been asked about this and they all said he didn't have an accent. I think it's worth noting those hikers were from all over the country, so it's unlikely they were hearing a subtle version of their own (presumably different) accents. I wish it was easier to hear him in the GoPro video.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther