Identified! FL - Big Cypress Natl Preserve, Male Hiker, Denim & “Mostly Harmless” July 2018 - Vance Rodriguez #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
When is the first time that MH was for sure on the AT?

The earliest photos of Denim are from Aug 2017 in Virginia. He stayed at Mountain Home Hostel in Front Royal, VA. I don't know the exact day he was there. The hostel uploaded a photo of him to their Facebook page in Sept 2017 but I believe he was there in August because he stayed there at the same time as a Hiker called Obsidian. He hiked SOBO (South) on the AT with Obsidian until at least Aug 25, 2017 when they were seen by other hikers and photos of Denim were taken at the Calf Mountain Shelter and a few days later a photo was taken at Humpback Rock. A map for reference:
Google Maps
It is about 100 miles hiking on the AT from Front Royal to the Calf Mountain Shelter: Appalachian Trail Distance Calculator

Denim claimed he hiked an average of 10 miles per day. IF that was his pace while hiking with Obsidian as well then he was in Front Royal around Aug 15, 2007-- give or take a few days. MOO.

ETA: The photo from Mountain Home hostel: Mountain Home
I believe this is the earliest photo of Denim on the AT. MOO.

I'm excited to share the annotated map/timeline. Tricia asked that I include in my post: this map has been reviewed and approved prior to my sharing it. This wouldn't be possible without the timeline @Gardener1850 put together. Everything included comes from official LE postings and official business postings. Of course, this does not mean everything is 100% accurate!

This has been hand-stitched together in Photoshop from approximately 20 screenshots of maps with MH sightings/interactions marked. After that, I overlaid the trails, then associated photos and annotations were placed on a top layer. Due to the shape of our little blue planet, as well as the dynamic nature of trails, please keep in mind that some marked locations and trails may be a bit skewed.

A final note, some photos and sightings were intentionally excluded due to the inability to verify the sighting location, and/or the photo was not found via an official source. I hope this is helpful. I welcome feedback and have set the map up in a way that we can edit/add to it without too much trouble.

Bringing forward Amytothekate's photo map. :)

Was this guy ruled out? I know the pic is a stretch, but height, eye and hair color match and the picture of Travis Butler is very old. Both seem to have no one looking for them. Travis Butler has a thread here.

Attachments

• 3823C0EB-50EA-41BA-ABF5-8EBF3E6B4C00.png
    3823C0EB-50EA-41BA-ABF5-8EBF3E6B4C00.png
    541.5 KB · Views: 32
  • FEAFD503-5BDA-4014-A31F-9838C1081302.png
    FEAFD503-5BDA-4014-A31F-9838C1081302.png
    496 KB · Views: 34
  • C6ADB941-03D7-4BC3-84C1-C812EE748EF5.png
    C6ADB941-03D7-4BC3-84C1-C812EE748EF5.png
    496 KB · Views: 35
I wonder why LE hasn’t accepted DNA doe projects offer to help. I know they mentioned something about needing a warrant but even DDP seemed unsure of why LE doesn’t want their help, so I wonder if it’s really because of a warrant or not. Idk, I am pretty turned off by the way Collier county interacts on social media in the threads I’ve seen regarding “denim”.

Florida has very very strict laws about what can be done with DNA and how they can proceded. In other cases, I've been told that they can't get that warrant until they've exhausted all other reasonable avenues. And I'm sure it's complicated by the fact that it's new technology and everything has to be explained at every step of the way.

Florida has very very strict laws about what can be done with DNA and how they can proceded. In other cases, I've been told that they can't get that warrant until they've exhausted all other reasonable avenues. And I'm sure it's complicated by the fact that it's new technology and everything has to be explained at every step of the way.

Makes sense. Maybe Collier County Sheriff’s Office should consider appointing someone else to handle their social media because from the threads I’ve seen them interact in, they come across very dismissive. It’s not a good look when you’re making social media posts to appeal to the public, and then are short (to put it nicely) towards those who reply to your posts.

If MH had no tattoos there would be no reason to have to satisfy a request for comparison with a missing person that had tattoos...the tattoos should be enough to say 'MH has no tattoos no reason to compare'....One of the rule outs disappeared after MH was found and one had broken teeth--Yet they can rule out others that are a closer fit to MH and not listed in a database within a couple of minutes of receiving the request...As if there is some detail they are looking for that we have no idea of...
Rule outs
https://www.namus.gov/MissingPersons/Case#/52000 17 years old, Blond/Strawberry hair, green eyes, last contact Aug 15, 2018, tattoo of skulls on right hand
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs) Ear piercings, scar on right wrist and on back of head, had bald spots. tattoo of a cross on right ankle, teeth are broken
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs) 66 yrs old, missing since 1992, brown eyes, scar on eye
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs) 54 yrs old, almost totally grey haired, tattoo of dragon on one shoulder, rose on the other
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs) The only one that made sense to compare!

I wonder if he was a boy scout. That could explain his experience and comfort levels hiking with a map and compass.

I also wonder if he would have gone to something like PAX East, a convention that combines technology and nerd culture.

Just trying to think outside the box here!

I wonder if he was a boy scout. That could explain his experience and comfort levels hiking with a map and compass.

I also wonder if he would have gone to something like PAX East, a convention that combines technology and nerd culture.

Just trying to think outside the box here!

Hhhhmmm. Our UID is comfortable in the outdoors, is also techie.

We used to geocache quite a bit -- did Denim? Has anyone checked geocaching.com for cachers in the New York state area who haven't posted since 2017? Unmaintained/orphaned caches? Are there physical or virtual caches on the Appalachian Trail or the park where Denim/MH started his trek?

Lemme see if I can still log in....

Geocaching

(If I already suggested this, & nothing came of it, I'm sorry & can claim either a Blonde Moment or a Senior Moment or perhaps an overlap of the two.)

If MH had no tattoos there would be no reason to have to satisfy a request for comparison with a missing person that had tattoos...the tattoos should be enough to say 'MH has no tattoos no reason to compare'....One of the rule outs disappeared after MH was found and one had broken teeth--Yet they can rule out others that are a closer fit to MH and not listed in a database within a couple of minutes of receiving the request...As if there is some detail they are looking for that we have no idea of...
Rule outs
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs) 17 years old, Blond/Strawberry hair, green eyes, last contact Aug 15, 2018, tattoo of skulls on right hand
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs) Ear piercings, scar on right wrist and on back of head, had bald spots. tattoo of a cross on right ankle, teeth are broken
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs) 66 yrs old, missing since 1992, brown eyes, scar on eye
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs) 54 yrs old, almost totally grey haired, tattoo of dragon on one shoulder, rose on the other
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs) The only one that made sense to compare!
IIRC, Collier County Sheriff’s Office has stated no one currently listed on NamUs is a match ...?

I admit this sounds rather extreme, but perhaps they should state that where “Missing Persons Exclusions” are usually listed (where you tap on the “link” icon) ...?

I wonder why LE hasn’t accepted DNA doe projects offer to help. I know they mentioned something about needing a warrant but even DDP seemed unsure of why LE doesn’t want their help, so I wonder if it’s really because of a warrant or not. Idk, I am pretty turned off by the way Collier county interacts on social media in the threads I’ve seen regarding “denim”.

I’ve heard that Florida has stricter laws but DNA Doe has several Florida cases that they are currently working. I have often wondered if our hiker knew that Florida had stricter DNA testing laws and that’s why he chose to die there(if he was in fact sick and wanting to disappear and die alone)?

Hhhhmmm. Our UID is comfortable in the outdoors, is also techie.

Has anyone checked geocaching.com for cachers in the New York state area who haven't posted since 2017?

Also an avid geocacher here. I can help with this. I am currently on a trip cross country and hardly have wifi but when I do - I'll start digging.

IIRC, Collier County Sheriff’s Office has stated no one currently listed on NamUs is a match ...?

I admit this sounds rather extreme, but perhaps they should state that where “Missing Persons Exclusions” are usually listed (where you tap on the “link” icon) ...?

It is impossible for Collier County Sheriff's office to rule out everyone currently listed in NamUs. Not all profiles have fingerprints, dental, DNA and/or even correct information such as height/weight and etc. They may say they have...but they can't. At one time this information was public-and many, many profiles had nothing on file.

I’ve heard that Florida has stricter laws but DNA Doe has several Florida cases that they are currently working. I have often wondered if our hiker knew that Florida had stricter DNA testing laws and that’s why he chose to die there(if he was in fact sick and wanting to disappear and die alone)?

Oh, it can definitely be done. It's just a complex process that can take a long time, especially if they're not familiar with it. And based on what I've been told I don't think it can even be started until after they have the conventional DNA back and it doesn't find a match. I could be wrong though; I'm only going by what I was told last year and things change so fast with DNA policies and procedures.

I watched the Springer mountain video and a couple of things stood out to me. I dip tobacco and it really looked to me like he was dipping and spitting. This may be valuable information for profiling. Especially since it was said he had great teeth. Which is not normal of dippers. My teeth are still in good condition even though I dip because I was required to go to dental in the military. He almost seem to have the posture of a prior service individual, and it would make sense him being comfortable navigating the trails without GPS. Has anyone looked into prior military service? This is just a hypothesis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd