Identified! FL - Big Cypress Natl Preserve, Male Hiker, Denim & “Mostly Harmless” July 2018 - Vance Rodriguez #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for linking the autopsy report - that was interesting to read. No overt trauma or disease noted.

The external exam mentioned over and over how thin he was. It was noted on almost every system.
The internal exam basically said that everything was within normal limits except for the testes being remarkably small and that the thyroid was small as well.

I'm wondering if starvation caused disruption in the HPA axis that led to decrease in testosterone and thyroid hormones. I don't know if the adrenal glands change size like other glands do. But WHY? Why did he starve? And there was stool present so he had some kind of oral intake. It's even stranger after reading that.

Thank you for your response Laughing. That is my thought also. Probably "WNL" as you say. I don't read autopsy reports that often....... But would think that there would be some notation of done/not done/pending. Ed. Posted without quote link by mistake.

Last edited:
Thanks for linking the autopsy report - that was interesting to read. No overt trauma or disease noted.

The external exam mentioned over and over how thin he was. It was noted on almost every system.
The internal exam basically said that everything was within normal limits except for the testes being remarkably small and that the thyroid was small as well.

I'm wondering if starvation caused disruption in the HPA axis that led to decrease in testosterone and thyroid hormones. I don't know if the adrenal glands change size like other glands do. But WHY? Why did he starve? And there was stool present so he had some kind of oral intake. It's even stranger after reading that.

Could he have had an intestinal blockage? This will make you full of poop and also unable to eat. Sometimes, people can get blockages that wouldn't show up on anything, the intestines just slow down. This happened to me and I had to be tubefed temporarily and lost tons of weight quickly.

I've seen where some other hikers said his diet was terrible. He ate a lot of sweets like honey buns and candy bars. It could have a lot to do with it. Dehydration and muscle wasting could have caused him to be unable to move which maybe why he was found in a pretzel position.

I've seen where some other hikers said his diet was terrible. He ate a lot of sweets like honey buns and candy bars. It could have a lot to do with it. Dehydration and muscle wasting could have caused him to be unable to move which maybe why he was found in a pretzel position.

Do you have a source for this?

I have easily put in over 100 hours of research on this man and I have never heard this, or anything regarding his diet.

I have a lot of information I have never shared in this forum because of the places I retrieved it ("R" etc) but the diet information claim is something I have never seen.

What is the "pretzel position"?
Went looking for information and tons of links referred to it as a sexual position, which does not seem right somehow for this mp case, i think..

That diet info is very interesting, especially combined with the fact that his death seems metabolic due to absence of overt pathology in the autopsy report. Could it have been as "simple" as him unknowingly having developed Type I diabetes and, while on the trail, gone into DKA?

Apparently it is possible to ascertain posthumously:

Diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) is a life-threatening condition that can occur when there is a complete lack of insulin, as in type 1 diabetes, or inadequate insulin levels associated with stress or severe illness in either type 1 or type 2 diabetes (10). It has been estimated that nearly a third of all deaths from DKA occurs in individuals with no known history of diabetes (6,11).

In the realm of forensic pathology, acute complications of diabetes mellitus as causes of death may be difficult to diagnose due to missing characteristic macroscopic and microscopic findings. Nevertheless, when biochemical investigations complement autopsy and histology, fatal DKA can be easily diagnosed despite unknown disease history and even in corpses with advanced decompositional changes (6,14,15).
Postmortem diagnosis of diabetes mellitus and its complications

I just woke up like ten minutes ago so am not at full speed but will read up on this a bit more when I'm caffeinated. Wanted to go ahead and post in case anyone else wanted to look into it. I'm sure this isn't the first time it's been hypothesized. It just wouldn't have popped into my head if not for the diet comments. Oh and @dotr I was thinking that pretzel position might be like what we used to call "Indian style?" seated with crossed legs? Maybe his arms were crossed as well? I'm sure someone has a better explanation!

What is the "pretzel position"?
Went looking for information and tons of links referred to it as a sexual position, which does not seem right somehow for this mp case, i think..

IIRC, he was described as sitting upright, legs folded & crossed (like a pretzel). I think it's possible he was in that position to help relieve pain in his back (maybe). Not sure what your google search showed:) but it might be close-ish. I believe it was mentioned in the CCSO podcast. Which is a really good listen. I might check it out again.

Press Releases | Collier County, FL Sheriff

I have easily put in over 100 hours of research on this man and I have never heard this, or anything regarding his diet.

I have a lot of information I have never shared in this forum because of the places I retrieved it ("R" etc) but the diet information claim is something I have never seen.
Yes it was mentioned by a hiker that spent time with him. It's on unidentified does facebook.

A hiker posted it yesterday on fb. Your welcome to go find it under unidentified people

IIRC, he was described as sitting upright, legs folded & crossed (like a pretzel). I think it's possible he was in that position to help relieve pain in his back (maybe). Not sure what your google search showed:) but it might be close-ish. I believe it was mentioned in the CCSO podcast. Which is a really good listen. I might check it out again.

Press Releases | Collier County, FL Sheriff

You mean like a meditating yoga lotus-type pose?

Ok, so I have "Denim" sightings or mentions on these dates from trailjournals.com:

28 June 2016: A hiker named Spice claims to have met a "Denim" Spice's 2016 Appalachian Trail Journal : June 28, 2016 : Trail Journals, Backpacking and Hiking Journals

25 August 2017: A hiker backpacks with Denim and notes him as being from Brooklyn
GI Joe's 2017 Appalachian Trail Journal : Black Rock : Trail Journals, Backpacking and Hiking Journals

18 October 2017: A hiker mentions "Denim" as a very familiar name from shelter registers
Rolling Thunder's 2017 Appalachian Trail Journal : Day 144: A low point to start, a high point to finish : Trail Journals, Backpacking and Hiking Journals

These dates add up with the information we understand so far. What throws a wrench in this is the presence of a different hiker named Denim. There are quite a few posts about him, but here is one from 4 October 2015: Halftime's 2015 Appalachian Trail Journal : Raven Rock Shelter to Pen-Mar County Park : Trail Journals, Backpacking and Hiking Journals

And, just for the heck of it, there is a mention of a hiker named "Muck" on the Appalachian trail in 2012 Not Yet's 2012 Appalachian Trail Journal : March 18, 2012 : Trail Journals, Backpacking and Hiking Journals (Muck Fishigin, an Ohio Buckeyes fan?)

I will be doing a FaceBook gather soon, I have some material from it.

After reading about his poor, sugary diet, I noticed how odd it was that he ate just the crust of this pizza- you’ll notice bite marks around it entirely. I’m starting to believe he developed diabetes or some sort of renal failure- which would result in cachexia as the autopsy reports.

Attachments

• 8F06FE36-EC2D-4F02-B591-9E3A6D72A57D.jpeg
    8F06FE36-EC2D-4F02-B591-9E3A6D72A57D.jpeg
    89.1 KB · Views: 132
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors