Identified! FL - Big Cypress Natl Preserve, Male Hiker, Denim & “Mostly Harmless” July 2018 - Vance Rodriguez#4

Status
Not open for further replies.
FYI Garbage in a tree is to keep animals from getting into it. He had to have been very lucid, and all of a sudden, not at all lucid, IMO.

Plus we have no idea how long it had been hanging in the tree. I hoped there was something other than food in it, maybe receipts from the rest stop to give us an indication as to when he was there.

I wonder if he developed celiac disease. It can cause rapid, extreme weight loss and pain in eating. And when you do eat, becaue the intestines are damaged and nutrients aren't absorbed, malnutrition results. A family member developed celiac and lost 40+ pounds over a couple months. He would have died if he didn't get a diagnosis.

edited for clarity
Interesting theory since most of what he was eating was energy bar type food that likely contained gluten.

There is a freshwater pond at Nobles that is suitable for drinking water. What is more curious to me, did he have a filtration device or purification tablets? I'm a FL hiker, even when we pump water out of a hand pump well we filter it because of parasites.
This was my initial guess. He drank bad water. A filter would have been the right approach. Sometimes hikers use drops on the theory that they'll clean up a batch of water, but those bottles are very specific in saying they are for removing aroma from already potable water; it's all an internet myth that would make water treated with these drops safe. A filter, on the other hand, will do everything necessary in the US (though not in developing countries), plus it'll filter out runoff.
There are many scenarios for ending up with bad water, either not using treatment at all, using the drops I have mentioned, contaminating your filter, or having your filter clog and not be field-cleanable. If he'd been on the trail for a while, without a new filter, his filter would have gone bad.
Giardia would have given him the runs, however, It seems he had shapely fecal matter. Or does this go solid-ish after death?

Plus we have no idea how long it had been hanging in the tree. I hoped there was something other than food in it, maybe receipts from the rest stop to give us an indication as to when he was there.
I don't think the vending machines there give receipts. There is no store or restaurant there, IIRC.

This was my initial guess. He drank bad water. A filter would have been the right approach. Sometimes hikers use drops on the theory that they'll clean up a batch of water, but those bottles are very specific in saying they are for removing aroma from already potable water; it's all an internet myth that would make water treated with these drops safe. A filter, on the other hand, will do everything necessary in the US (though not in developing countries), plus it'll filter out runoff.
There are many scenarios for ending up with bad water, either not using treatment at all, using the drops I have mentioned, contaminating your filter, or having your filter clog and not be field-cleanable. If he'd been on the trail for a while, without a new filter, his filter would have gone bad.
Giardia would have given him the runs, however, It seems he had shapely fecal matter. Or does this go solid-ish after death?
He had a filter.

The FT has some different hiking than the AT. Worst I've done on the AT water wise is cross a cold stream. FT has miles and miles of swamp. Swamp is not too bad when it is ankle deep but when it gets thigh high, it gets hard, especially when you're carrying a 50# pack.

I know you have a place in SWFL, if you're down in wintertime it is usually pretty dry. Finding trails that are not swampy is pretty easy. The Florida Panther Wildlife Refuge west of Nobles is a really nice hike and pretty dry. I usually head over to Everglades City, eat some stone crabs, then hike it for a couple hours.

Mmmm, stone crabs. I think I could convince my husband to start at the mile 63 rest stop and go north to Nobles camp then find some place for really good food. We've found fabulous places off the beaten track in LA to eat mudbugs or Maine to eat fresh caught lobster after wading through mountains of extremely smelling shells where you get yesterday's newspaper, a hammer and a roll of paper towels with your lobster(s).

Just thinking was there any reason stated on the autopsy for his "water logged foot"?
Snipped for focus.
Your feet can get waterlogged from hiking through rain, swamps, puddles, etc. Even with Goretex (water can get over the tops). His shoes look inadequate. It's possible he even stopped because of blisters, so he could let them heal. This might have put him out of commission for a bit until he got overcome by something else. If the blisters got infected, this might have prevented him from getting food, etc. Was anything said about sepsis?

Up thread and back a few pages, a few people were discussing RHABDO and some one asked if people die from RHABDO. The short answer is Yes, if it is not treated promptly. My fit as a fiddle physically active child came close to dying a few years ago from it. His case was brought on by extreme physical exertion during a military training exercise. Luckily, the people in charge of the exercise recognized the symptoms and rushed him to the ER. He spent a week in the hospital hooked up to IV fluids. The way he explained it to me was that the nervous system goes into overdrive, causing paralysis, and then the vital organs begin shutting down because of the continual nonstop firing of neurons and the inability of the vital organs to function properly.
Rhabdomyolysis: Symptoms, Causes, and Treatments

If MH was not used to physical exertion, even after spending months on the trail, RHABDO would be a definite possibility.
You can get rhabdo from exercising too much, exactly the scenario of a thru hiker. Recently, an elite female gymnast got rhabdo from overtraining.

I thought it was a bit odd that he bought good equipment such as the tent, boots and pack but wore clothes maybe not best suited for hiking? He’s wearing the same t-shirt in every single photo, maybe he had multiple, or it seems strange that it wouldn’t have fallen to pieces being worn for over a year!
And the shorts he wore seem more like the type of shorts road workers wear (neon with reflecting stripes), but that might be easier to explain since they’re probably very durable.
Thru hikers wear the same thing every day. If you take a spare outfit, then you have 2 stinky outfits about 2 hours after washing. Why bother?
The clothes he was wearing are idea for thru hiking. They are lightweight, wick and dry sweat quickly. My outfit for much of the AT was very similar.
You might keep an extra piece of clothing or two, but this would only be for sleeping in that weather.
Very few hikers in their right mind would take the size of pack he had at Damascus. You can see how overweighted it is, how it's too big for his body size (he didn't get it fitted properly), and it's thrown off his body shape. Maybe 98% of thru hikers carry a pack about half that size or smaller. He does not look like an experienced thru hiker to me: the "tell" would be his gait, but we don't have the luxury of seeing it. (Thru hikers don't straighten their knees.
Those shoes are totally incompatible with that Damascus pack. Maybe he slimmed down his gear?
Also, it sounds like they only found one water bottle. He should have had WAY more than that. 3 liter capacity would be fairly typical on the AT, and this was a warm month in Florida!

Of course he had a different tent before he bought the Foray. They simply aren't very durable, and the lighter the tent the more fragile they are.

Even tarps have a shelf life. I once encountered a camper who was sleeping under a tarp. It wasn't that old but the main rope line he suspended the tarp on was already paper thin and had holes in it. He was using an abrasive kind of rope to suspend it and it ate through the tarp like sandpaper.

You can only patch a tarp or tent so much before it becomes a losing battle.

I was a thru hiker on the AT. I used a tarp. 6 months. It looks like new. So, it depends how you take care of your equipment. Tents have a lot of seams, are under tension, etc., so they would be more prone to breaking.

Not a snowball's chance in hell would I ever have used a tent like MH. He would have been soaking wet from the inside dripping from his damp breath. Chronically. Not near enough ventilation in that thing. And it would have been a death trap in Florida heat.

Yikes, thinking the rope they use for boats would be best, smooth and weatherproof.

In past discussion here, some of us have wondered if he had a tent before the yellow one and, if he did, there is a possibility we could find where he bought that one and know more. I don't think it is a given that he had a tent before because he could have always stayed in hostels, or done something else, maybe a tarp.
You'd generally use nylon rope that is thinner than paracord. His tent probably came with a few guys, but from the photo, he's not using any, probably because the location is sheltered.

Snipped for focus.
Your feet can get waterlogged from hiking through rain, swamps, puddles, etc. Even with Goretex (water can get over the tops). His shoes look inadequate. It's possible he even stopped because of blisters, so he could let them heal. This might have put him out of commission for a bit until he got overcome by something else. If the blisters got infected, this might have prevented him from getting food, etc. Was anything said about sepsis?

Nothing about sepsis in the AR.

I was a thru hiker on the AT. I used a tarp. 6 months. It looks like new. So, it depends how you take care of your equipment. Tents have a lot of seams, are under tension, etc., so they would be more prone to breaking.

Not a snowball's chance in hell would I ever have used a tent like MH. He would have been soaking wet from the inside dripping from his damp breath. Chronically. Not near enough ventilation in that thing. And it would have been a death trap in Florida heat.

That's interesting to know. I've been on a few hiking blogs and I've never heard that different circumstances need different shelters. So an experienced thru-hiker going from the AT to the FT would be less likely to use a tent because it would add to the discomfort of humidity? Would a tarp have been a more viable option for hiking in June/July in the Florida heat and humidity?

I think the tent was fine. I use something similar, mine is a an MSR Hubba Hubba clone. Regarding the Foray, Outdoorgearlab rated it pretty well, specifically that it was well vented: Brooks Range Foray Review

That's interesting to know. I've been on a few hiking blogs and I've never heard that different circumstances need different shelters. So an experienced thru-hiker going from the AT to the FT would be less likely to use a tent because it would add to the discomfort of humidity? Would a tarp have been a more viable option for hiking in June/July in the Florida heat and humidity?
Hikers have a lot of gear depending on the hike and the season. MH was a little odd in that he used winter gear in the summer.

As I've said before I don't think the pack was too heavy. He obviously wasn't an ultralighter. I carry a 50# pack, it is not a big deal., especially if you're balancing with trekking poles. Pack weight is a personal preference instead of a hiking rule.

Not a chance in hell would you be able to sleep under a tarp in Florida the time he was here. Bugs come out in March, even in north/central FL, where he was then. You need a tent otherwise you get eaten alive. I guess you could string a bug net with a tarp. But also, it rains sideways in FL a lot. A tent is a lot better in the rain than an ultralight tarp.

Are you going to add to the timeline and map? Let's see if Gardener1850 is still interested in doing it first, though, since she is the timeline guru :). She might have a full plate right now and will gladly hand it over to you to maintain.

If we can add the additional screenshots from the hiking site along with the two sets of hikers to verify their sightings I agree that we have added to our knowledge, if only to verify his tent was seen as early as June 1-2, 2018.

You know, there's lots of threads, some as long as #125 (the Delphi Murders 2017). And some only 3 months old that are already up to #25 (Suzanne Morphew) So knowing that, it's understandable that you're not going to get relatively new posters wading through three years worth of posts before suggesting someone who was dismissed as a suspect 2 years ago or a UID possible match. We don't want to scare new posters away when they make suggestions but we can point out that certain attributes assigned to the deceased, like NO tattoos, can easily help eliminate someone. We always have the option of scrolling by posts. Hard to do sometimes, though!

Recaps are a great thing, even if it's only to refer to a new improved timeline. Every time new and verified information is presented it could also be added to a secondary list.

There's probably lots of ruleouts that we don't know about. I believe Namus no longer lists them, although I could be wrong about that. For instance, MH's listing UP51453 lists about 22 ruleouts but they don't include Robert Wayne Roush so some people continue to submit him as a possibility, even though we have been told he has been ruled out.
Thanks for taking the time to explain that to me about new posters and our targets :) Maybe something I or others if they want, can do is let a new person know that there is the post at the beginning of the thread that will give them the base information and include a link to it.

I know what I'm going to do one evening is go through EVERYTHING I've posted that's still of value and recap it all along with any outstanding from them.

I've had time to think and I'm prepared to take on updating and posting the timeline and photo timeline or contributing to revisions of it somehow. Whatever Gardener would prefer. We could also possibly share the files. My only stip is, after I update, I'm going to bounce them off a few people who want to look them over and comment on anything before they go public. This ensures that I don't put any bad info out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member