Identified! FL - Big Cypress Natl Preserve, Male Hiker, Denim & “Mostly Harmless” July 2018 - Vance Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just think he was so stinkin handsome. His eyes seemed so kind. I really hope he wasn't in hiding for a nefarious reason.

I doubt he used the names elsewhere, since trail names are given by fellow hikers & it seems he had only been known to other hikers in the last year or so.

I just think he was so stinkin handsome. His eyes seemed so kind. I really hope he wasn't in hiding for a nefarious reason.

I doubt he used the names elsewhere, since trail names are given by fellow hikers & it seems he had only been known to other hikers in the last year or so.

I don’t think he was running away from the law or involved in illegal activities. If that’s the case I think they more than likely would have had his fingerprints or DNA on file and there would have been a match straight away. I think he chose to disappear for more personal reasons. Though, of course we can’t be 100% sure.
And I agree, he was a very very handsome man. Judging from the many encounters people had with him, he was quite charming as well. It’s just baffeling that this person can remain unidentified.

I'm curious re: the searching through missing person databases. Are we talking just NAMUS? We all know that NAMUS isn't an all-inclusive source. Would we be remiss in continuing to check more state-level databases?

I saw this gentleman mentioned in the comments on the Collier County Sheriff's Office's FB:

Christopher "James King" King - LA Repository for Unidentified & Missing People

Unless I missed him, I didn't see him listed in NAMUS.

Either way, fingers crossed Denim/MH finds his name soon.

I'm curious re: the searching through missing person databases. Are we talking just NAMUS? We all know that NAMUS isn't an all-inclusive source. Would we be remiss in continuing to check more state-level databases?

I saw this gentleman mentioned in the comments on the Collier County Sheriff's Office's FB:

Christopher "James King" King - LA Repository for Unidentified & Missing People

Unless I missed him, I didn't see him listed in NAMUS.

Either way, fingers crossed Denim/MH finds his name soon.

There are lot of charity Facebook sites (beware checking the updates) for missing persons, Doe Network...also checked out a site with trail angels (sometime somebody posts a missing person on a trail), Charley's project, missing persons of America, the NCMEC because it's about missing children I don't think we will find him there and a lot of other sources and that's just for missing persons in the US.

He looks like Brad Pitt.

Ha! You're right about Brad!

There are lot of charity Facebook sites (beware checking the updates) for missing persons, Doe Network...also checked out a site with trail angels (sometime somebody posts a missing person on a trail), Charley's project, missing persons of America, the NCMEC because it's about missing children I don't think we will find him there and a lot of other sources and that's just for missing persons in the US.

Re: all the other sources - that's exactly what I mean. I just don't want anyone to feel rebuffed by the statements from CCSO, that they've already "searched all of databases". It's a bit of a vague statement - there are just too many and too many of them are disconnected from each other to dismiss them outright. I may be interpreting this as a harder line than they meant it to be, however.

ETA: clarified a statement

Last edited:
Ha! You're right about Brad!

Re: all the other sources - that's exactly what I mean. I just don't want anyone to feel rebuffed by the statements from CCSO, that they've already 'searched' the databases. It's a bit of a vague statement - there are just too many and too many of them are disconnected from each other to dismiss them outright. I may be interpreting this as a harder line than they meant it to be, however.

My guess is that they searched the official databases...Namus, Codis, FBI, Interpol....I don't know...

i see zero resemblance between any of these people and our John Doe.

He was found with only the clothes seen in pics - shorts, shirt, underwear. boots. No extras. Pics posted from months ago show him in the same shirt and shorts. Talk about traveling lightly. This is such a mystery.

It would be impossible for them to rule out everyone in the databases, as not all cases have DNA, fingerprints etc to make a comparison with. NAMUS is only showing one exclusion...Glen Oldfield...but it does not say why he was excluded.

The Sheriff's dept seems to be holding onto 'he is from New York with ties to Louisiana' as that is what hikers have reported, however, Harmless started a whole new life in order not to be who he was. He ditched ID, name, etc...There's a good chance he invented his past as well to remain anon.

Coffee56. Agreed..I doubt he is from New York. If I was going to drop out, I would start off in a state no one knew me, no one would expect me to be at and head out from there. That way, when/if I was reported missing, it would not be from the state I actually disappeared in. Lots of thought, planning, etc goes into disappearing, unless of course you have to do an emergency disappearing act

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500