Identified! FL - Big Cypress Natl Preserve, Male Hiker, Denim & “Mostly Harmless” July 2018 - Vance Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of what your thoughts of who Harmless would be is exactly what Kevin Mitchell was...except for not being into the outdoors and being ill. Everything else is almost a perfect match to Kevin. Even down to the possible suicide mission. If Kevin was Harmless, he probably thought he would die before he ran out of money

One hiker that met harmless said his name was Devin...close enough to Kevin for me to give it consideration especially given the other circumstances that make it possible.

Even if they ended up not being a match..I have seen some really good potentials posted on this thread that were worth looking into. And while none of them may be Harmless, we are keeping his case alive and bringing attention to other missing persons

If you feel this strongly about him you should definitely call it in!

I agree with you that the circumstances could match, but I agree with UnlicensedPI as well that they don’t look like the same person. The structure of Mitchell’s face is completely different imo. But I’m no expert so don’t let me stop you. If anything, calling it in may breathe new life into Mitchell’s case.

I don’t think Mitchell’s case is unique unfortunately. I think we may be surprised by how many people choose to walk away from their life for whatever reason.

It might be years until someone reports him missing. Like I’ve stated before, I don’t think he had anyone he was particularily close to at home. The only person who could report him missing, might be the sister he mentioned. But we have no idea how close they were. I hope the DNA Doe Project or a similar project decides to take up this case eventually. I think he would make a very good case for them.

I found this really interesting thread on WhiteBlaze. It reminded me of MH. Started in NYC, out of shape, willing to walk away from his life. I think it's a year before he started hiking but it's still an interesting look into potential motivations and planning from someone in similar circumstances:
Starting a thru-hike as an out-of-shape beginner?

That is an interesting post and matches with what little we know. I searched on the user name and found other profiles that are in line with the poster on this site. I did see postings in Jan 2018 and activity up to June 2018, so that I am not able to rule it out on dates alone. I'd be curious how much gaming was mentioned by denim and more details on the type of "tech" work he did if he happened to meet other developers on the trail who he may have discussed his work history with. Once again, very interesting find classito!

That is an interesting post and matches with what little we know. I searched on the user name and found other profiles that are in line with the poster on this site. I did see postings in Jan 2018 and activity up to June 2018, so that I am not able to rule it out on dates alone. I'd be curious how much gaming was mentioned by denim and more details on the type of "tech" work he did if he happened to meet other developers on the trail who he may have discussed his work history with. Once again, very interesting find classito!
I also found recent activity with his username. Just eerily similar circumstances and wanted to share!

Btw - I'm UnlicensedPI ;)

Yes, more recent activity since June on websites other than WhiteBlaze
Darn! So the poster probably isn’t Denim/MH, right? Although it is possible, IMO, that the poster on WhiteBlaze is indeed Denim/MH, and the one posting on other sites is someone who just happens to go by the same username.

I’m curious as to when the user posted for the last time on WhiteBlaze.

Darn! So the poster probably isn’t Denim/MH, right? Although it is possible, IMO, that the poster on WhiteBlaze is indeed Denim/MH, and the one posting on other sites is someone who just happens to go by the same username.

I’m curious as to when the user posted for the last time on WhiteBlaze.
The other accounts seem to match up with what this user posted. It's very likely the same person and not MH. It appears he posted for the last time on WhiteBlaze in April 2016.

My train of thought is that people Google something before they go for it, especially if it's a huge commitment. MH probably did a bit of research before going off on his journey and may have posted on a forum. It would be in line with what we know about his personality. A username could help with an ID

Whats everyone's take on Steven Billman (photo from around 2012-2014)

5'8
Brown hair
Blue eyes
Age now 31
Pinky finger did not bend

Missing Person Case

billman-cropped.jpg
steven_alan_billman_2.jpg

Very very rough family life according to posts on his missing page.
Steven Billman Is Missing!

He worked in a marijuana facility. Went missing in 2014. Truck was found late 2016 and had changed hands several times. Police believe he was murdered as blood stains were found in the truck, however their was various blood types.
"“They did recover blood stains inside the truck. They located not only in the bed of the truck but they located behind the seat. They located some on the seat and then some on the headliner,” said Det. Frawley. They found several different types of blood which are now being tested for a DNA profile."
Missing Thurston County man believed to be victim of homicide; ‘We want Steev-o back’

I couldn't find any more information on the results of the blood or how much, if any was Steven's. Police suspect his employer but no one has been charged. Most information they have is street word...not enough to charge anyone. And nothing more since early 2017 about his case. If a small amount of blood, could be just from a cut.

Is it possible he sold his truck and chose to disappear..start a whole new life?

I also found recent activity with his username. Just eerily similar circumstances and wanted to share!

Btw - I'm UnlicensedPI ;)

Ahh - Sorry to credit the incorrect user! I think this is a great line of inquiry as someone with a tech background would be likely to utilize forums for research. The last post I found that appears to be the likely profile was June 2018, body was discovered July 2018 and with very minimal activity prior to that and I didn't delve any deeper. It still seems possible that the poster and denim are one and the same. I didn't dig back thru the thread but I thought there was mention of a code snippet being found with Denim's things and it would be nice if that could be shared or at a minimum LE could share the coding language as that would provide a large hint as to what area of tech he may have worked in.

Oh wow - I remember the Sheriff's office circulating his pictures.

I'm not a thru-hiker but will backpack for 3-4 days at a time. It's very interesting the people you meet on the trail. I also think of how some people are true loners.

I do hope he's identified one day. His info has circulated ALL OVER.

What is most odd, IMO, is that he had no ID, no bank card, not even a piece of paper with some phone numbers. That seems to me to be very unusual, like he never intended to go back to normal life.

I think if he'd asked for help, fellow hikers and hostellers would have supplied whatever he needed.

ETA, also he left no note, which others who died from hunger did do. Altho too weak to walk, you can scribble something.

His pack was missing, it would seem that as he got desperate, he left the pack behind. I never carry my id or wallet on my person when hiking, it's an easy way to lose it. I keep it in my pack. His pack is still out there.

I’m not sure if it did before, but his NamUs page now mentions that he “did not appear to be in good health”.

Given he weighed a mere 83lbs, I guess that’s a fair statement. I was just wondering if there were other factors that made him look “ill”, because I don’t remember reading that sentence before.

His pack being missing bothers me a lot as well.. I’ve read hikers stating online that it would have been extremely hot to hike during that time of year, so I cannot imagine a lot hikers being out there. Since he had only been deceased a couple of days when he was found that means that either someone stumbled across him after he’d just passed away (I’m not sure how likely that scenario is because if the weather was that hot, I don’t think a lot of people would have been hiking and surely no one would have wanted to carry another heavy pack alongside their own; not to mention that they stumbled across a dead body and never contacted law enforcement) OR someone stole his pack while he lay dying in his tent and that thought just makes me sick.

Regardless of my own disgust by the idea of stealing from someone who was in need of help/had just passed away, it seems weird to me that someone would steal his entire pack instead of just taking his wallet or the money inside of it.

I’m not sure if it did before, but his NamUs page now mentions that he “did not appear to be in good health”.

Given he weighed a mere 83lbs, I guess that’s a fair statement. I was just wondering if there were other factors that made him look “ill”, because I don’t remember reading that sentence before.

His pack being missing bothers me a lot as well.. I’ve read hikers stating online that it would have been extremely hot to hike during that time of year, so I cannot imagine a lot hikers being out there. Since he had only been deceased a couple of days when he was found that means that either someone stumbled across him after he’d just passed away (I’m not sure how likely that scenario is because if the weather was that hot, I don’t think a lot of people would have been hiking and surely no one would have wanted to carry another heavy pack alongside their own; not to mention that they stumbled across a dead body and never contacted law enforcement) OR someone stole his pack while he lay dying in his tent and that thought just makes me sick.

Regardless of my own disgust by the idea of stealing from someone who was in need of help/had just passed away, it seems weird to me that someone would steal his entire pack instead of just taking his wallet or the money inside of it.
I've seen a lot of comments of people who thought they may have found him. Some people who called out to him and thought he may have been napping and one who left a bottle of water for him. So there were other people out there.

That being said, I don't think anyone stole it. We know his pack was very heavy, much more so than average. We know he was losing weight and growing weaker. I think he couldn't sustain the weight of his pack anymore and left it behind somewhere along his hike.

I've seen a lot of comments of people who thought they may have found him. Some people who called out to him and thought he may have been napping and one who left a bottle of water for him. So there were other people out there.

That being said, I don't think anyone stole it. We know his pack was very heavy, much more so than average. We know he was losing weight and growing weaker. I think he couldn't sustain the weight of his pack anymore and left it behind somewhere along his hike.

I agree. I’ve mentioned it earlier and it just seems a more likely scenario that he decided to get rid of it himself imo. The strange thing is that the cover belonging to his backpack was found at his camping site. I hope his pack is still out there and that someone finds it.

This case seems so easy to solve. Especially because of all the pictures and personal encounters. It’s beyond frustrating that we can’t really do anything but wait..

Some hikers will stowaway their backpacks in bushes, cover them with debris and come back for them. I don't believe it's a good practice but admit to doing it myself before a mountain climb ascent to cut down on my weight. We're talking about for a couple of hours. This scenario doesn't make sense as a thru-hiker, you're not backtracking in most cases.

It's also possible that he was dealing with severe dehydration, sounds like some other health issues as well. His body weight was shocking. In this state of mind, with severe dehydration, people can start to make decisions that don't make sense, stripping off clothing, frantic steps, even hallucinations. Maybe he left it somewhere and it has not been found yet.

You can certainly meet undesirables on the trail, but in my experience the hiking community as a whole is pretty caring towards other hikers, they look out for one in another.

I really want to believe that no one would take his backpack with ID. It's possible however.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhatHappenedToJAB