Found Safe FL - Boy, 2, missing while parents slept, Brooksville, Hernando County, Feb 2023

A former U.S. Marine is being hailed as a hero Friday for finding a 2-year-old boy who had been missing since wandering out of his north Florida home a day earlier.

"I said a prayer about 10 minutes before I found him," Roy Link told Hernando County Sheriff Al Nienhuis in a video the sheriff's office posted on Facebook.

Some 500 volunteers and scores of law enforcement officers had searched for Joshua "JJ" Rowland since he was reported missing by his parents. Sheriff's officials said the boy left the home in Brooksville while one of his parents was asleep.

"Roy Link is the man of the year here in Hernando County," the sheriff said.

Raising my glass of berry Baileys and milk to you.

My partner's having a bath, and I just went in and cried at her that he was found. It was all snotty and gross and in no way dignified. My heart is still so sore from Quinton.
Lol I love this entire comment!!!

What a happy day for that family and that community! Poor baby’s gonna sleep hard later tonight! <3

Looks like he was found about a half mile from his home.”Hernando County Sheriff Al Neinhuis said Rowland was found south of Parrott Middle School and east of Cobb Road. Link recounted the moments leading up to when he found Rowland. He said he crossed a field and came upon some woods, listening intently during his search. It was the sound of "whimpering" that caught his ear.“. Retired Marine responsible for finding missing Brooksville toddler alive

EBA49441-B00C-4A86-BF22-13363AAB944F.jpeg

Yes!
I keep a running list of small kids who wandered off or were even abducted and later found safe, sometimes days later in extraordinary conditions. The miracles do happen!

Infants / Toddlers found safe (with ages)

Rainn Peterson, 2
Kenneth Neal Howard, 22 months
Margot Carey, newborn abducted but safe
Anthony ‘AJ’ Elfalak, 3
Jude Leyton, 3
Aurora and Rosaline Crider, 4 yr old twins
Casey Hathaway, 3
Cleo Smith - abducted but safe, 4
Abby Ladwig, 3
Ryker Webb, 3
Christopher Ramirez, 3
This is such amazing news!

One that has stuck with me is Evelyn “Vadie” Sides. Missing girl found with hero dog who protected her in wood after 48hrs

Happy dance! So glad he was found safe!
Group of young hip hop dancers on white background

~~~~~~~~~~~~HAPPY DANCE TIME~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hernando County Sheriff’s Office

MISSING TODDLER LOCATED BY VOLUNTEER SEARCHER

MISSING TODDLER, JOSHUA "JJ" ROWLANDS, HAS BEEN LOCATED BY ONE OF OUR VOLUNTEER SEARCHERS.

JJ IS DOING WELL, CONSIDERING HE HAS BEEN OUT IN THE ELEMENTS ALL NIGHT.

HE'S BEING TRANSPORTED BY PARAMEDICS SO HE CAN BE CHECKED OVER.

WE HAVE ATTACHED A PHOTO OF THE RESCUE.View attachment 405237

There's a picture of a man who is totally happy. He's experiencing a once in a lifetime moment. Love, love love this picture. https://www.websleuths.com/forums/attachments/039666e5-7d93-4aaf-9300-73a36aff35d1-jpeg.405237/

Last edited:
This is really great! :D

NEW PORT RICHEY, Fla. - A volunteer and former Marine found 2-year-old JJ on Friday – 24 hours after the toddler disappeared. The little boy got out of his home while his mom was napping on Thursday, and it started an all out search in Hernando County.

The story sparked a conversation between Paul and Bianca Micklow, who own Amerikey Locksmith in New Port Richey.

"We are like ‘how can we help our community and bring awareness to this?’" said Paul Micklow.

One solution came to mind: Donating and installing locks to any parents with young children. In particular, a one-sided dead bolt.

"We put it at the very top of the door, and we can make adjustments according to the kids' height but most of them will be a foot down the door, so they can’t reach it," said Paul.

Bianca Micklow said the top door lock makes it hard for kids to reach.

"With that top dead bolt, little kids can’t reach that. They can’t reach that. Even if they’re trying to take a chair or something. That gives you enough time to look, and they can’t do it," said Bianca.

As parents of two boys, they understand how quick kids can be.

"You could be watching your kid, turn around a second this 2, 3, 4-year-old is already out the door," said Bianca. "The locks are right at their level they can reach it and turn it."

Response from the community continues to grow. Paul said the phone have been coming in, and they've received about 500 calls and Facebook messages.

They’ve already placed an order of hundreds of deadbolts, and they plan on scheduling appointments to install, very soon. They want to help each person in safeguarding their homes and providing families with that extra security.

"We just want to give back, and we don’t want any barriers where it maybe a financial situation or a lack of education on the types of locks for kids," Paul said. "We just want to go out there and take care of it and hopefully prevent what happened to JJ and another parent."

For more information, visit Amerikey Locksmith's Facebook page.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back