GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #6 *arrests*

Status
Not open for further replies.
14 jurors = 12 females + 2 males => bad news for the prosecutors. This type of unbalance is statistically favorable to defendants. The 12 female jurors will be compassionate to KM, who is a female and mother of 2. Some of the 12 female jurors may flirt with SG.

14 jurors = 12 females + 2 males => bad news for the prosecutors. This type of unbalance is statistically favorable to defendants. The 12 female jurors will be compassionate to KM, who is a female and mother of 2. Some of the 12 female jurors may flirt with SG.

How would a juror flirt with a defendant? And how does having more females than males make it more likely that even one of them would choose to do this?

Welcome to ws computantis!
Bingo, maybe the defendants physical appearance/attire in court will be an asset after all. imo, speculation.

i disagree. i think women will judge KM more harshly than men. i think most men are more inclined to give KM (a woman) the benefit of the doubt whereas women will be less likely to be swayed toward believing she's innocent just because she is a female. look at Wendi - i think most men give her the benefit of the doubt - whereas most women DO think she was involved in the alleged conspiracy. women can be very catty to each other. as far as SG goes, i don't think he will be seen by the female jurors as a sympathetic or romantic character especially after the evidence is presented - including pictures of DM with his children who no longer have him. i think they'll see SG as the creep and criminal that he is. i think 12 female jurors is great for the prosecution.

Last edited:
As I have alluded to this before but now that the trial is FINALLY here, I will ask my question in slightly different way. Let's say Garcia is convicted and while awaiting the death sentencing, agrees to implicate the lovely Donna and sleazy Charlie in exchange for a life sentence. Will they be death penalty material, or are they too "important" to get this?

As I have alluded to this before but now that the trial is FINALLY here, I will ask my question in slightly different way. Let's say Garcia is convicted and while awaiting the death sentencing, agrees to implicate the lovely Donna and sleazy Charlie in exchange for a life sentence. Will they be death penalty material?

they could. if the state is pursuing the death penalty for the alleged trigger man, they could pursue it for the alleged masterminds. masterminds orchestrate the crime, the trigger man is simply the tool of the masterminds. masterminds sometimes get the death penalty even though the trigger man and conduit do not. many times it's a game of who comes first to the table to make a deal. but in any conspiracy, the mastermind is at the top of the pyramid. without the mastermind, the crime would not have happened. the state CAN, not sure if they will though. it meets the aggravating factor - "It was committed in a cold, calculated, and premeditated manner without any pretense of moral or legal justification." the state is definitely using it as leverage to get SG to flip.

someone asked if CA and DA will be called to testify in this trial. i don't think they will be called because they will just plead the 5th and GC knows this.

Last edited:
As I have alluded to this before but now that the trial is FINALLY here, I will ask my question in slightly different way. Let's say Garcia is convicted and while awaiting the death sentencing, agrees to implicate the lovely Donna and sleazy Charlie in exchange for a life sentence. Will they be death penalty material, or are they too "important" to get this?
The Theresa Sievers case is also due to go to trial in Florida Oct. 1, and is sadly similar. In that case, one of her killers agreed to testify against her husband, the alleged mastermind who promised to pay him (out of insurance proceeds) to do it. In exchange for his testimony, the killer pled guilty to 2nd degree murder and was sentenced to 25 years.

Prosecution will seek the death penalty for her husband the mastermind, and for the second killer. Scuttlebutt on the thread is that prosecution is willing to do a deal with the 2nd killer to withdraw the death penalty in exchange for his testimony, but will not do a deal with the husband.
Dr. Teresa Sievers Trial Discussion - Mark Sievers and Jimmy Rodgers, 3 June 2019

Also adding, I think it's very important public policy to send out the message that having lots of money doesn't mean you can get away with murder by hiring a hit man.

There will always be poor people willing to kill a stranger, if you offer them enough money. Not to mention that actually shooting your ex brother-in- law, or beating your wife to death, isn't something most people are ruthless /courageous enough to do themselves, whereas handing it over to someone else may save them from a lot of fear, nightmares and guilt.

And in some ways, the mastermind has ruined the lives of the hitmen, by tempting them into something they wouldn't otherwise do.

By getting the hitmen to turn on the masterminds, prosecution is sending out the message that if you want something like this done, it's no different than if you did it yourself.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...they are going to give us an alternate theory. what could it be?

"Garcia’s attorney Saam Zangeneh said last week he was looking forward to presenting an alternate theory of the murder that differs from the one the state has developed."

“From the inception there’s been a story that the government’s had. The prosecution’s had this storybook position that incorporates my client and Ms. Magbanua,” he said Friday. “They’ve been soliciting it from the inception. It’s going to be an opportunity for us to really show a second side. A different side that no one has seen before."

Dan Markel case: Jury seated in murder trial of Sigfredo Garcia, Katherine Magbanua

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...they are going to give us an alternate theory. what could it be?

"Garcia’s attorney Saam Zangeneh said last week he was looking forward to presenting an alternate theory of the murder that differs from the one the state has developed."

“From the inception there’s been a story that the government’s had. The prosecution’s had this storybook position that incorporates my client and Ms. Magbanua,” he said Friday. “They’ve been soliciting it from the inception. It’s going to be an opportunity for us to really show a second side. A different side that no one has seen before."

Dan Markel case: Jury seated in murder trial of Sigfredo Garcia, Katherine Magbanua

The SODDI Defense - "Some Other Dude Did It" - Blame it all on Rivera?

The North Florida/South Florida dynamic will be interesting here. Garcia's lawyer is quite "South Florida" and runs a risk of coming across too slick for this small southern college town. I was chuckling at his own recent suit choice. It was blue and he wore a bright orange tie. Those colors are synonymous with the one thing everyone in that jurisdiction collectively despises, the Flordia Gators. This may seem trivial, but on some level, college football pride seeps into everything there, even subconsciously. Just an observation.

Screen Shot 2019-09-25 at 6.49.24 PM.png

Last edited:

Will be interesting to see how the defense goes about this. We know they will cross-examine Rivera but will they call any witnesses? I doubt either KM or SG will testify.

The North Florida/South Florida dynamic will be interesting here. Garcia's lawyer is quite "South Florida" and runs a risk of coming across too slick for this small southern college town. I was chuckling at his own recent suit choice. It was blue and he wore a bright orange tie. Those colors are synonymous with the one thing everyone in that jurisdiction collectively despises, the Flordia Gators. This may seem trivial, but on some level, college football pride seeps into everything there, even subconsciously. Just an observation.

View attachment 206321
Good catch on the suit. And you are right!! I went to both FSU and UF - and you DO NOT wear the other schools colors - the orange and blue is highly offensive in Tally Town! Fierce rivalry!

Does anyone know if the two websites listed here with live streaming lawandcrime.com and Tallahassee.com have fees associated when you sign up to view? Asking for a friend

Does anyone know if the two websites listed here with live streaming lawandcrime.com and Tallahassee.com have fees associated when you sign up to view? Asking for a friend

No fees for Law/Crime.

Watch Live: Murder Trial in Shooting Death of FSU Law Professor Dan Markel

Not sure about Tallahassee.com. I know they give a certain amount of free articles and then they want you to subscribe, but don't know about live streaming. They do have a Facebook page that is suppose to be streaming:

"...Court livestream starts Thursday
From opening to closing arguments to the verdict, the Tallahassee Democrat will provide gavel to gavel coverage of the murder trial of Sigfredo Garcia and Katherine Magbanua. Each day the Tallahassee Democrat will livestream the trial at Tallahassee.com and on the Tallahassee Democrat's Facebook page. The trial begins at 8:45 a.m."

Facebook page:

Tallahassee Democrat

We have begun! I am watching on Tallahassee Democrat Facebook website as Law and crime sometimes interrupts if I recall correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ms.Priss74