GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #7 *arrests*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, as we age, it's more likely we are setting up Geek Squad appointments for our parents, not the other way around.

Also, maybe the tech went there for one reason and when he/she got there, the problem (a cracked screen) was something unexpected.
A sad theme, imo. speculation.
crack.png
TV Screen Protectors | Enclosures | Monitor Protection | TV-Armor.com

Sun Sentinel

Could she have had a garage door opener, drive by, close the garage door....thank goodness for the heroic neighbor that dialed 911 and saw the prius
Very good point and makes a lot of sense. If the garage door was closed the whole time line changes. That must have been the reason she was doing a drive by. She used to live there and both of them probably had remotes. The car was still running after the hit according to the neighbors testimony. As a matter of fact that was the reason he started over to the garage after he heard the shots and changed his mind thinking DM was going to back out. It was after a while he thought something was odd as the car was still running for a while after he returned to his house. Then went back over to the scene and approached his car.

Last edited:
Remember the other day they had a gentleman who worked at the preschool in Tallahassee testify that he saw an unfamiliar light green Prius in the school lot the morning of the shooting. Right at time DM said goodbye to his kids for the last time.

If I was a parent whose kid was there at the time I would be so angry at whoever directed armed assassins to that place! Awful.

Last edited:
Also from the Miami New Times article from June (I recommend reading the article as it has other details, mainly quotes of DA emails to WA that I have not seen reported elsewhere.)
A Professor's Murder in Tallahassee Was a Contract Hit, Prosecutors Say

On July 11, 2014, Donna emailed Wendi to confirm a Best Buy appointment to fix a broken TV set. It was scheduled for between 8 a.m. and noon July 18, 2014.

Dan would be shot dead in that time frame.

Thanks for posting this as it had information that I was unaware of such as

"The trial was scheduled to begin June 3 but was delayed in May when prosecutors said they had unlocked Magbanua's cell phone and were analyzing the data."

I believe it was yesterday, maybe the day before, that someone posted a new article with the new timelines of that day. I'm trying to find it and cannot, does anybody have it handy that they can throw up here and repost the link? Thank you in advance.

Very good point and makes a lot of sense. If the garage door was closed the whole time line changes. That must have been the reason she was doing a drive by. She used to live there and both of them probably had remotes. The car was still running after the hit according to the neighbors testimony. As a matter of fact that was the reason he started over to the garage after he heard the shots and changed his mind thinking DM was going to back out. It was after a while he thought something was odd as the car was still running for a while after he returned to his house. Then went back over to the scene and approached his car.
Yes, this could be her reason for driving by. If it was, DM could have been sitting in his garage for days since he was leaving town. Everyone would have thought he was out of town. Maybe when he didn't show up for his job, someone may have come looking for him. Possibly have LE do a wellness check. He was on the phone with another individual; so this was another wrench in their plan, but I don't think that was a big factor. JMO

Yes, this could be her reason for driving by. If it was, DM could have been sitting in his garage for days since he was leaving town. Everyone would have thought he was out of town. Maybe when he didn't show up for his job, someone may have come looking for him. Possibly have LE do a wellness check. He was on the phone with another individual; so this was another wrench in their plan, but I don't think that was a big factor. JMO
If no one had called the cops, how long could the car have sat there running, could it have posed a safety hazard to the neighbourhood?
Thinking now about the hit men circling near the daycare, the parents of those little children must be freaked out to think of the lurking danger so close to each of their beloved children, imo, speculation.

If no one had called the cops, how long could the car have sat there running, could it have posed a safety hazard to the neighbourhood?
Thinking now about the hit men circling near the daycare, the parents of those little children must be freaked out to think of the lurking danger so close to each of their beloved children, imo, speculation.
Yes, definitely. I remember hearing testimony from LR about how they sat across the street at Winthrop Park waiting for DM to leave his residence. The very same park I had taken my own children in the past to play at th playground there. The playground is well shaded by several live oak trees and isn't very far from the entrance off of Betton Rd. I imagine there were people with their children in that park during that time (summer time) while these two sat there with there guns loaded waiting to execute someone in cold blood.

Even if none of the Adelsons are ever charged, they will always have a cloud of suspicion hanging over their heads. And once the boys get older, they can read about the murder and the trial - and I bet they start asking their mother, grandmother and uncle some hard questions.
As for JL - I hope he doesn't feel guilty about not warning DM of the danger. How many of us have said "I could kill him!" about someone who angered us? JL was in love with WA, he had met CA and liked him, so I'm certain he thought their talk of hiring a hit man was just their way of expressing their anger. How could he have known that they would actually go ahead with it?

Court photo was unfortunate for SG, but probably apt, imo.rbbm
Dan Markel murder: Prosecutors lay out alleged payments; case may be going to jury Wednesday
44e495f1-6204-413a-bfdc-5848ea442aa3-Markel_Trial_100119_TS_662.JPG

Luis Rivera identifies himself and Sigfredo Garcia in a photo being displayed during the trial of Garcia and Katherine Magbanua for the 2014 murder of Florida State University law professor Dan Markel at the Leon County Courthouse Tuesday, Oct. 1, 2019. (Photo: Tori Schneider/Tallahassee Democrat)

Dan Markel murder: Prosecutors lay out alleged payments; case may be going to jury Wednesday
Oct. 4, 2019

"Prosecutors painted a picture of thousands of dollars funneling from Dan Markel’s former in-laws into the bank accounts of one of two people on trial for the Florida State law professor’s murder.

They showed a spike in cash deposits to Katherine Magbanua’s bank account, more than $41,000 in the year after Markel’s July 2014 murder and more than $17,000 in checks from the Adelson Institute, which investigators say were part of the murder-for-hire payment."
"Assistant State Attorney Georgia Cappleman said she plans to rest her case Monday. Defense attorneys say they need about half a day each to present their case, which means the jury could begin deliberations as soon as Wednesday."
She detailed the cash deposits, which accounted for 70% of Magbanua’s income in 2014 and 2015, and money from the Adelson Institute, a Tamarac dental practice, in the form of 44 $407 checks signed by Donna Adelson.

She noted that there were at times multiple cash deposits into different ATMs on the same day and that Magbanua was not employed at the time of her highest cash deposit in August 2014, the month after Markel’s killing".

Even if none of the Adelsons are ever charged, they will always have a cloud of suspicion hanging over their heads. And once the boys get older, they can read about the murder and the trial - and I bet they start asking their mother, grandmother and uncle some hard questions.
As for JL - I hope he doesn't feel guilty about not warning DM of the danger. How many of us have said "I could kill him!" about someone who angered us? JL was in love with WA, he had met CA and liked him, so I'm certain he thought their talk of hiring a hit man was just their way of expressing their anger. How could he have known that they would actually go ahead with it?
I agree with you on everything.
That will just be sooo disappointing if none of the Adelsons ever get charged and they still have their clutches on those innocent children.
It reminds me of Michelle Parker from Orlando who disappeared in November 2011 and has never been found. Her ex was named a suspect but never charged and he left the state with their twin boys and her family hasn’t seen them since. It’s so heartbreaking. Incidentally Michelle’s parents have lobbied heavily to change the Florida laws to include grandparents rights which would help the Markels as well.

Interesting comments that the reason she went by the house was to close the garage door. Very interesting.

Agreed that he would not have been found for days because of the schedules of everyone if the phone call had not happened, and the neighbor did not follow up , and the garage door was down. But it begs the question of how did she know did the garage door was still up ? Or did she just know that the hit was done ?

I wish they had done more Tower dumps to find stuff like that out.

There very likely may be burner phones that we don't know about in this case that law enforcement never captured.

Thanks, as I had never thought of that. And would have never thought of that in a million years.

Interesting comments that the reason she went by the house was to close the garage door. Very interesting.

Agreed that he would not have been found for days because of the schedules of everyone if the phone call had not happened, and the neighbor did not follow up , and the garage door was down. But it begs the question of how did she know did the garage door was still up ? Or did she just know that the hit was done ?

I wish they had done more Tower dumps to find stuff like that out.

There very likely may be burner phones that we don't know about in this case that law enforcement never captured.

Thanks, as I had never thought of that. And would have never thought of that in a million years.
That's why it is critical KM will show some remorse and do the right thing and expose the whole plot if she ever wants to see the light of day again. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member