GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #9 *arrests*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Juror Interview - Part 1 - Dan Markel's Murder Trial - State vs. Garcia and Magbanua
Mentour Lawyer

Gordon X
Thank you so much for doing this interview and sharing it with us. If you have the opportunity to speak with this juror again, I have a follow-up question. She says that she was not asked about Judaism specifically during jury selection. But when asked which question the lawyers ought to have asked during the selection process, she says “the religion question”. Can she expand on this? What specifically should the lawyers have asked? Does she think that one/some of the jurors did not identify with or empathize with the victim because of religious difference?

Gordon X
Thank you so much for doing this interview and sharing it with us. If you have the opportunity to speak with this juror again, I have a follow-up question. She says that she was not asked about Judaism specifically during jury selection. But when asked which question the lawyers ought to have asked during the selection process, she says “the religion question”. Can she expand on this? What specifically should the lawyers have asked? Does she think that one/some of the jurors did not identify with or empathize with the victim because of religious difference?

Gordon did not actually do this interview. He just posted it.

As far as what she said about religion, I took it to mean that maybe they should have asked if anyone had experienced religious differences causing discord in a family. JMO

We may never know the full story behind KM's and SG's seemingly irrational decision-making. However, I believe the letter SG penned suggests some factors in play. His fixation on his appeals is fascinating -- as is his romantic view that he and KM are star-crossed lovers battling "the other side" together. From the tenor of the letter and its contents, I believe this is a peek into a shared fantasy the two have engaged in since their respective arrests. He refers to her "pursuit of justice" and addresses her as a sort of "fallen" team member as he exhorts her to carry on. What I find interesting is his level of denial with respect to their predicament. The man had absolutely no realistic hope of acquittal given the prodigious amount of evidence against him and any belief there was reversible error for his conviction in this trial borders on magical thinking. My guess is they both see themselves as perversely heroic figures fighting "the man" with little ability or willingness to accept the truly dire situation they are in. This man is going to die in prison, but he paints himself as a brave warrior pledging his undying love to KM. I think we can assume Katie has encouraged this viewpoint and she, no doubt, has painted herself as a brave and oppressed partner. Several days ago I commented that we shouldn't discount the power of psychological avoidance. To us, it is inconceivable that KM would turn down immunity in exchange for helping the State convict the Adelsons and SG. However, doing so would have required publicly confessing her participation in an ineffably callous crime and accepting ownership of a heart black enough to extinguish the life of a young father -- all while assisting the State in putting her children's dad away for life. KM doesn't seem to be a particularly hardened street-chick. Indeed, the photo of her in her bikini with WA and tales of her driving Charlie's Ferrari portray a young woman hoping to travel in circles far removed from such a tawdry, violent crime. By pretending to be oppressed victims of unscrupulous prosecutors, she and SG have created a romantic narrative for themselves that allows them to simply avoid confronting or accepting who they really are.

It is certainly possible that the Adelsons are puppet masters influencing KM. However, this letter and KM's behavior on the stand convince me it is equally likely we are witnessing a couple desperately in denial and willing to accept prison rather than face the opprobrium and self-loathing that would accompany an admission of guilt. SG's pleading to KM that "I need you more than ever" and his pledge to fight to his last breath on appeal indicates that he's completely bought into the shared fantasy that she might yet escape. I imagine there have been many letters and verbal messages passed between attorneys over the past several years that have fed this unique folie a deux (a psychiatric syndrome in which symptoms of a delusional belief are shared by two people).
deleted
Since you said speculate in my own opinion and imagination, here goes.....

I have no facts, just observations from looking into the eyes of the accused and the deceased and what I feel. First I took a look at Dan and saw honest emotion shining for all to see. Next I looked deep into Garcia and all that resonated was sadness. What I saw from Rivera was cold, hard and unfeeling. Katherine showed not one bit of sadness or remorse and it seemed she was showing strength. Finally Wendi. I was overwhelmed at the manipulation emanating from her. Her smugness, her cunning, her detachment. Deflecting suspicion elsewhere and offering up diversions that leave her blameless and oh so innocent. I'm not falling for it, she is the ONE that benefited from all this. I intentionally left out ma, pa, and brother but they also played their devious part and without their heartless involvement and money Dan would still be here. Wendi, with her influence and emotional exploitation maneuvered her family to get on board and finance this evil deed. And Katherine was more than willing to get on the money train and possibly even suggested providing the means to eliminate Dan. The means being Garcia, who in turn recruited Rivera. You can see where I'm going with this and I know it goes against all the evidence presented so far, but that evidence mainly comes from the mouth of Rivera, who I suspect actually pulled the trigger. Garcia is taking the fall since he was the one that recruited Rivera to make the hit and he is doing his best to protect Katherine the mother of his children. Katherine has kept quiet and sat in jail for three years because she can't implicate Rivera without dire consequences. In my opinion there is no other reason she would not come clean and tell all. She fears for her life and that of her family.
I see a bullet hole in the floorboard of the Prius and SG sitting in the passengers side seat both in Tallahassee and the Miami area. LR must have been issued a lie detector test with the question as to him being the shooter or not before any deals were finalized. If it showed deception...no deal. IMO. KM was stuck between a rock and a hard place as she and SG both were not convicted during their 3 year confinement and on the advice of their Attorneys were not going to speak to the authorities with the same unbelievable story she gave on the witness stand. KM/SG were not going to come forward because they thought they were going to walk. Now SG has apparently got to KM by letter to further the delay at getting at the truth by bringing up long drawn out appeals in his case. In other words don't say anything we will beat this together. I believe KM does have emotional control over SG and he will do whatever it takes to please her...like keeping his mouth shut while her case moves forward. Another thing I believe is the $ 72,000.00 in untraceable cash KM/SG was extorting from CA/WA was half SG's in her account...after all, I believe she was paying his legal fees until she was arrested.

Last edited:
Lol. No. I just don't think she was involved in the planning or execution of her ex husband's murder, for many reasons that I think the evidence strongly supports, when viewed objectively!

Also I was with her when she found out about the arrests and I know her personality and character. And likewise, I have a long career of working with intelligence and law enforcement and I'm confident in my anti-bamboozaling skillset. :)
DM thought he knew her personality and character too...observe what happened to him with WA before the murder. None of us know what runs deep inside of another persons mind and core when they want their way at all costs.

View attachment 209696 View attachment 209698

60 years ago my sister got "patty playtime" as a christmas present. We all thought she was creepy and that trend continues with my sister's grandchildren being afraid of her. Stick a knife in her head and a few scars on her face and you have the bride of "Chucky". See a resemblance in the expression of both photos to a particular POI?
I think what makes Patty Playtime so creepy is that hair cut! That hair do is a hair don’t.

All kidding aside -

No, but seriously I do agree that WA is just as creepy, if not more than Patty Playtime. WA is the most dangerous type of psychopath because she can get by as “normal” and people think she’s harmless.

From Part 2 Juror Interview: "Wendi Adleson didn't do herself any favors with that testimony...at all" "there were things she blatantly lied about" "it did not leave the jury with the impression she was innocent...at all" etc... :D:D:D

Part 2 Juror Interview: "Wendi Adleson didn't do herself any favors with that testimony...at all" "there were things she blatantly lied about" etc... :D:D:D

What did you think about the openings?

What stood out the most was how calm GC is - true throughout whole trial. Ms. Kawass genuinely believes in KM's innocence. Impression from Mr. Z. was he was just trying to do the best he could for SG. KM's attorneys seemed emotionally invested.

Georgia's opening - content didn't stick out. She gets a "B." She's not very relatable. She's very steady. Very impressive person, but not relatable in openings.

Ms. Kawass - excellent. Mr. Z. - tried really hard, but wasn't as confident.

What did you think about Mr. Z.'s colloquiums?

For her age group it was fine, but might have not been received as well with older jurors. He was trying to paint a pic of CA as a good-looking rich kid who never had to work for anything. That's the impression they all got. Both defense attorneys made CA look really unflattering.

Credibility of WA?

Juror laughs. WA didn't do herself any favors with that testimony, at all. Most of the things she said were quickly shown to be not true. Either by cell phone evidence, or by JL. Blatantly lied about things (i.e. Ferrari or Porsche, being able to see crime scene tape, etc.) She believed WA made a 3 point turn at the crime scene.

Demeanor - she was suspiciously calm, had obviously been practicing, knows what she's doing. She laughed in GC's face about the possibility of being arrested! She seems very confident. But did not leave the jury with the impression she is innocent, at all.

What about the Adelsons not being charged?

Yes, it bothered all of us. A lot of us felt like the wrong people were on trial. Not that SG and KM shouldn't have been on trial eventually, but the evidence GC presented was largely about the Adelsons. Meanwhile these two people haven't seen their kids in 3 years.

The Adelsons don't look good right now.

Lacasse?

He was good (giggles). She went back and watch the interviews with him from the 20/20 special after the trial. He was a good witness. Talks about June 4th - she's ill, then cancels the trip they have planned.....was this evidence discussed? Not that they forgot about it, but since nobody had the impression WA was innocent they didn't even talk about it.

Charlie for sure? Or WA and CA? Who ordered the hit?

We went through cell records and WA didn't have contact with anyone on the day of the murder. We were trying to figure out how Wendi would have known he was shot. But it seemed obvious from all the evidence that she seemed to know something was going to happen and seemed to know when. There was no phone call from anyone to Wendi after the murder so they didn't know how she knew.

There are a lot of holes in the story which is why it ultimately ended in a mistrial for KM.

Last edited:
From Part 2 Juror Interview: "Wendi Adleson didn't do herself any favors with that testimony...at all" "there were things she blatantly lied about" "it did not leave the jury with the impression she was innocent...at all" etc... :D:D:D

Was skeptical of this guy. I listened to a few minutes of his previous videos and wrote him off.

But now, I LOVE him. This is solid gold. The laid back interview style, to how articulate the juror is. Fascinating. Can't wait for more.

Was skeptical of this guy. I listened to a few minutes of his previous videos and wrote him off.

But now, I LOVE him. This is solid gold. The laid back interview style, to how articulate the juror is. Fascinating. Can't wait for more.

Totally agree. And even though it's not a trial he seems careful to not be "leading the juror." Great job so far.

I'd like to compare Wendi's morning phone calls the day of the murder to other days. Wondering if it's typical for her to have no phone activity.
My thoughts too. Lack of normal phone activity can be just as telling....i.e. Casey Anthony
Charlie for sure? Or WA and CA? Who ordered the hit?

We went through cell records and WA didn't have contact with anyone on the day of the murder. We were trying to figure out how Wendi would have known he was shot. But it seemed obvious from all the evidence that she seemed to know something was going to happen and seemed to know when. There was no phone call from anyone to Wendi after the murder so they didn't know how she knew.

There are a lot of holes in the story which is why it ultimately ended in a mistrial for KM.
This really bothers me. I get the impression that it is more than ONE juror that was hung. Hope MentourLawyer covers this in next interview.

Interesting Dateline tonight about a woman (and a couple of her family members) who ordered a hit on her Jewish (I think?) husband. Took years, but all parties were eventually convicted - life in prison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irennnnn