GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #9 *arrests*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone might have to help me out on this one.

I don't exactly recall what WA testified to but I know the juror stated in the interview that it would be impossible to see the tape from that street as they were familiar with that street. The juror may have even said ridiculous.

The juror also said they believed the government LOL the cop that testified she did the 3 point turn putting her exactly at the scene.

That street is kind of curvy. It would depend on where they put the crime scene tape whether you could see the house. I believe, though, where his house was was on a semi straight section and would think that the crime scene tape wouldn't be too far down the street. Without seeing crime scene photos my guess is the tape would be where you could still see the house but don't know for sure. But ... if I drove by my old street that had someone I was familiar with still living there (nevermind the father of my kids who had them that day) I would have been on the phone just out of nosiness if nothing else. I mean they don't put crime scene tape up for a house robbery, etc.

I live in Tallahassee. Based on where she lived (I believe it was in some transcript or her testimony on the stand), where she went to lunch and where the liquor store was there was absolutely no good reason for her to go to that liquor store. There were at least 2 liquor stores within a few blocks of the lunch place. Think of it as a triangle with the liquor store she went to being a single point at the bottom and her home and the restaurant being the two points at the top.
yes and who automatically thinks a tree has fallen when they see police tape and a street blocked off (I believe this is what she said). Are trees just falling around there all the time? LOL When I see a street with police. I think car wreck, crime, accident, traffic light out.....

eTA in texas I have never seen crime scene tape anywhere unless it IS a MURDER

That street is kind of curvy. It would depend on where they put the crime scene tape whether you could see the house. I believe, though, where his house was was on a semi straight section and would think that the crime scene tape wouldn't be too far down the street. Without seeing crime scene photos my guess is the tape would be where you could still see the house but don't know for sure. But ... if I drove by my old street that had someone I was familiar with still living there (nevermind the father of my kids who had them that day) I would have been on the phone just out of nosiness if nothing else. I mean they don't put crime scene tape up for a house robbery, etc.
Yep and we know she is nosey, snooping out Dan's new girlfriend and family....hmmm at least call an old neighbor if you don't want to talk to Danny.

yes and who automatically thinks a tree has fallen when they see police tape and a street blocked off (I believe this is what she said). Are trees just falling around there all the time? LOL When I see a street with police. I think car wreck, crime, accident, traffic light out.....

eTA in texas I have never seen crime scene tape anywhere unless it IS a MURDER

We do get quite a few fallen trees here but normally just with hurricanes or bad wind storms ..... but .... they are not normally taped off with tape that says "crime scene" LOL

ETA: but this is also where getting jurors at least over the age of 21 and preferrably older with at least some life experience is important. Common sense and life experience is important in being able to determine whether someone is bs'ing you. I know it doesn't apply to WA as this juror said she thought she was guilty, but there were tons of common sense things with KM that didn't add up that she did believe

We do get quite a few fallen trees here but normally just with hurricanes or bad wind storms ..... but .... they are not normally taped off with tape that says "crime scene" LOL
Us too actually but always during or after a storm like you said....and in Houston good luck to getting a Police Officer to respond to a downed tree...o_O I am going to search for a picture of the scene and see what this tape looks like...I know the 911 operator miscoded the severity of the call for the ambulance but I would think there would be a very heavy police presence in this neighborhood for a shooting.

I think she may have really boxed herself in here if she did testify that she was not close to the house. Where was this officer stationed that saw her.

Not only that. Law Enforcement had a documented phone call from WA to DM at 11:42 am after he was shot before she took a drive by the crime scene. DM didn't answer the phone and crime scene tape around his house and she don't pop in to see what's up.

We must remember. There wasn't an arrest until 22 months after this crime was committed. Law Enforcement was tapping phones and doing surveillance of all their suspects in the interim and they knew who they all were at the time. We only know half of it... We don't know what they have on the Adelsons as they haven't been charged and they do not have to turn anything over to them until they do charge them.

Not only that. Law Enforcement had a documented phone call from WA to DM at 11:42 am after he was shot before she took a drive by the crime scene. DM didn't answer the phone and crime scene tape around his house and she don't pop in to see what's up.
I wanted to mention that call earlier but could not remember the timing of it.
She knew this was suppose to happen this day but since the other trips failed she doubted that it was really going to happen. She just had to check for herself....also by calling Danny it gives her the "excuse" I knew nothing I thought Danny was alive...but like you said it actually makes her look guiltier by not being more concerned about the activity on his street and him not answering his phone.

and I think they all underestimated the neighbor being so alert

I wanted to mention that call earlier but could not remember the timing of it.
She knew this was suppose to happen this day but since the other trips failed she doubted that it was really going to happen. She just had to check for herself....also by calling Danny it gives her the "excuse" I knew nothing I thought Danny was alive...but like you said it actually makes her look guiltier by not being more concerned about the activity on his street and him not answering his phone.

and I think they all underestimated the neighbor being so alert
The neighbor only observed the vehicle for 10 seconds but he was right on the money with the vehicle make and model. She had to check because somebody was expecting $100K the next day. She had no idea the Police would be on the scene within a half hour after the hit. I was surprised the Police didn't pick up the Phone when she called but then again DM was holding onto it when he was shot and it may have put it out of commission right then and there. IMO.

Last edited:
We must remember. There wasn't an arrest until 22 months after this crime was committed. Law Enforcement was tapping phones and doing surveillance of all their suspects in the interim and they knew who they all were at the time. We only know half of it... We don't know what they have on the Adelsons as they haven't been charged and they do not have to turn anything over to them until they do charge them.
True, but since CA was named as an unindicted co-conspirator in the KM/SG trial I'm pretty sure all of the Adelson info would have been turned over by the State to KM's attorneys. KM's attorney's would have a right to see it since she was alleged to have conspired with CA. Also, when DeCoste cross-examined Det. Corbett it came out that the State did not tap WA's phone.

"As every defense attorney across the nation knows, a retrial usually does not end up in the defense’s favor,” said M. Dod Ghassemkhani, a San Diego criminal defense attorney who is not involved in the Winslow case. “The reason is the (prosecutor) always learns from the mistakes they made in the first trial as to why it hung on certain counts.”

IMO DeCose and Kawass will do the same thing that Saamy did with SG. Have their client declared indigent but not request legal fees reimbursement from the government (except for expert witnesses) with the agreement from CA that the defense will be paid in full later. This strategy sounds like something that would be cooked up in PH1 to get around the Judge and the law and avoid further scrutiny on the topic. I don't think this is good lawyering, I think it's dirty lawyering.

Case update - Markel Murder Trial - 10/22/19
Oct 22, 2019
Mentour Lawyer

Additional Update - Magbanua filed an application to be determined indigent (poor) for costs. Meaning that she has private attorneys and is not asking for the Judicial Administration Commission of Florida to pay for their fees - BUT she is asking for the Judicial Administration Commission to pay for her costs. If approved, then she could file motions for Court approval to hire experts, investigators, etc. - at the tax payers' expense. Of course, if she had been defended by the Public Defender or a private "conflict counsel" (appointed when the public defender has a conflict, the conflict regional counsel has a conflict or is not qualified), then all of the fees and costs would have been paid by the taxpayers.

I wonder how TPD located WA at the restaurant (Mozaik?) the day of the murder? Did they find a phone number for her and call ahead?? Maybe so .... they did have the make/model of her car & issued a BOLO! Hence ... busted doing a drive-by of the crime scene ... what a dumbass move!!

How is this for a potential future plot....the Adelsons get away with it for now, but in the future Dan's supersmart sons become sleuths on their own, affirm their suspicions of their own family's culpability, and provide evidence to put them away. (And then resume therapy from all the horrible they've been through). They get support from Ted Kaczynski's brothers and others who have had to turn in a loved one who committed crimes.

How is this for a potential future plot....the Adelsons get away with it for now, but in the future Dan's supersmart sons become sleuths on their own, affirm their suspicions of their own family's culpability, and provide evidence to put them away. (And then resume therapy from all the horrible **** they've been through). They get support from Ted Kaczynski's brothers and others who have had to turn in a loved one who committed crimes.

It's a very tempting scenario, but they haven't been "Dan's sons" for a long while now. Here's hoping that the Adelson brainwashing/corruption fails to take permanent root.

How is this for a potential future plot....the Adelsons get away with it for now, but in the future Dan's supersmart sons become sleuths on their own, affirm their suspicions of their own family's culpability, and provide evidence to put them away. (And then resume therapy from all the horrible **** they've been through). They get support from Ted Kaczynski's brothers and others who have had to turn in a loved one who committed crimes.

And they change their names back to Markel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LitWiz