GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 *arrests* #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Judge Hankison is retiring :( It looks like Magbanua will be his final case.

I have only watched a handful of trials but his style is by far the best I have seen. I love how he carefully explains everything and his time management. Hope he enjoys his retirement he deserves some fun after hearing all these heinous cases.
Hanging up the robe: Circuit Judge James C. Hankinson resigning after lengthy career

"Known as a hard-nosed judge with years of experience as a state and federal prosecutor under his belt, Hankinson was behind the bench in many of the cases that shocked the entire community.

He heard the case against serial killer Gary Michael Hilton, who is facing the death penalty for the murder of Tallahassee nurse Cheryl Dunlap. He also was the judge on the Mike Williams murder trial, which ended with a guilty verdict for his then wife, Denise.

In the last few years, he also oversaw the trials of convicted murders Adam Frasch, quadruple murderer Henry Segura, and Sigfredo Garcia, the man convicted of shooting and killing Florida State law professor Dan Markel.

His final high-profile case is likely to be the retrial of accused Markel murder accomplice Katherine Magbanua in April.

Hankinson said although he is 67 and 7 years from a constitutional requirement for him to retire, “I just think it’s time."

Great news.

I was in the courtroom for the Arthur Hearing. A moment that stuck out to me that day was when Christopher Decoste was arguing the merits as to why Katherine Magbanua should be granted bond. Per his typical style of righteous and stretched assertions, he stated that the case against her was based all on circumstantial evidence.

Judge Hankinson stopped him in his tracks, looked him in the eye, and said: "I don't think this case is only based on circumstantial evidence." There was an intentional and poignant pause afterward. I love that he did that.

Decoste seemed stunned at the statement, but like a real pro eager to cash that Adelson check (in my opinion and the prosecutors), he moved on quickly. SIDE NOTE: It would look much better to be a little more transparent and explain to the PUBLIC how she's paying two out-of-town private attorneys, instead of letting us speculate. If it were all on the up-and-up, why keep it secretive? Yeah, her mom died (life insurance money?) or her sister-in-law, who embezzled 1M+ from her employer, paid for it. It would be in the defense's best interest to do so. MAKES YA WONDER, NO? The optics are horrible, and everyone knows very public cases are not only fought in court.

Not to mention, WTF is going on now since she is indigent, and her sister-in-law got caught and is mandated by the court to pay back funds she stole.

Last edited:
The work is not done, but may this be a small win for all of us who despise murder and/or persons providing coverage for murderers. Even if this doesn't make it past the finish line, it still furthers the narrative that Wendi is a dirtbag in nice packaging. And, that itself is satisfying. Small victories.

That picture in the article is heartbreaking. Man, that sick family felt it was within their right to take that dad from those baby boys. @!#$ those people.

"The Senate Children, Families and Elder Affairs committee unanimously cleared the bill (SB 1886), filed by Sen. Jeff Brandes, R-St. Petersburg."
Grandparent rights bill, citing Dan Markel case, gets support from lawmakers

In the wise words of one of my favorite one-hit-wonders, Mr. Montel Jordon, "THIS IS HOW WE DO IT."

If you'd like to celebrate with me:

IMO of course.

Last edited:
The PUBLIC NARRATIVE might have officially shifted before our eyes. Stories and updates on this murder case are being reported differently. This is a local outlet that knows this case very well, so I don't think it's a mistake but I could be wrong. They partnered on the 20/20s, for instance.

"Prosecution has alleged it was a murder for hire plot orchestrated by Markel's wife or her family, though none have been charged. Markel's parents have since been denied access to their son's two boys."
Lawmakers to discuss Florida 'Grandparent' bill on Tuesday

"Is there a stack of cash in there that's Wendi's stack?" - Georgia Cappleman

Advice to A's: Get Jose Angel Baez. Just saw the Aaron Hernandez doc on Netflix and he truly does work magic - he's perfect. Steller record in Florida courtrooms too.

IMO of course.

Last edited:
Yeah, there's definitely a shift. Quotes like this seem to be going unchallenged (or at least successfully challenged) whereas before the trial, a number of publications had to walk back allegations against Wendi. The trial seemed to change everything.

It was pretty clear that GC (and even the other defense attorneys) believed she was involved. The state was probably being restrained earlier on in order to get WA to cooperate with her testimony.

It never made much logical sense that someone would rub out one's sister's/daughter's ex husband without permission/support. If that happened and WA was a normal person, she would have gone straight to the cops as soon as she realized what happened.

The PUBLIC NARRATIVE might have officially shifted before our eyes. Stories and updates on this murder case are being reported differently. This is a local outlet that knows this case very well, so I don't think it's a mistake but I could be wrong. They partnered on the 20/20s, for instance.

"Prosecution has alleged it was a murder for hire plot orchestrated by Markel's wife or her family, though none have been charged. Markel's parents have since been denied access to their son's two boys."
Lawmakers to discuss Florida 'Grandparent' bill on Tuesday

"Is there a stack of cash in there that's Wendi's stack?" - Georgia Cappleman

Advice to A's: Get Jose Angel Baez. Just saw the Aaron Hernandez doc on Netflix and he truly does work magic - he's perfect. Steller record in Florida courtrooms too.

IMO of course.

Yeah, there's definitely a shift. Quotes like this seem to be going unchallenged (or at least successfully challenged) whereas before the trial, a number of publications had to walk back allegations against Wendi. The trial seemed to change everything.

It was pretty clear that GC (and even the other defense attorneys) believed she was involved. The state was probably being restrained earlier on in order to get WA to cooperate with her testimony.

I didn’t see any sign of cooperation at all. But there were lots of hints in that trial for sure.

I didn’t see any sign of cooperation at all. But there were lots of hints in that trial for sure.

Yeah, it looked to me like WA was dragged kicking and screaming -- and fudging and even lying -- into that deposition and testimony. But the trial obviously changed some minds and bolstered some longstanding suspicions, and she and her team can't threaten to sue everybody (and would likely be exposing themselves to real jeopardy if they did so) so here we are I guess.

I confess some bias in this case -- I have several close family members with links to the TO and FLA legal communities, who knew Dan and his family, and it's been a long and painful road for them. But I think that bias is supported by the balance of probabilities. Hopefully this shift in the public narrative of the case will result in some new action(s).

This simple point is THE CRUX of my thinking.

I'm all about reading the opposing argument or contrasting opinions on any matter as a check on my own. Sometimes I turn on a cable news channel that I know will make my skin crawl, but I do it and believe I'm better for it. There is no good or plausible one in this case, and because of that, I'll carry on with an opinion, bias or whatever anyone wants to call it. If something comes out that exonerates Wendi, then I'll hear it and adjust my viewpoint as necessary. I'm waiting...

It never made much logical sense that someone would rub out one's sister's/daughter's ex husband without permission/support. If that happened and WA was a normal person, she would have gone straight to the cops as soon as she realized what happened.

has anyone posted her deposition ?
No deposition. Judge Hankinson ruled against. I know so little about the legalities of cases but that was the big brouhaha about the testimony (pretrial deposition), she received the immunity for testimony at KM's trial to prevent taking the 5th on all answers. Correct me if I am wrong that is my layman's understanding of it.

Money and good legal counsel go hand in hand. No pretrial deposition...the only thing we still have at this point is her initial police interviews.

All family members should be feeling the heat of Miami at this point as @reallybusy pointed out above the tide has shifted on the Miami shores.

Thank you for the correction!

I am sorry. I wish I could delete my comment.

I always thought she won that legal battle. I am celebrating that defeat now (a little late). I need not to comment on stuff like this. I still don't understand that immunity deal. :confused::cool::(

NOW I want to get my hands on that deposition! :)

TALLAHASSEE, Fla (WCTV) -- The judge presiding over the Dan Markel murder case has reversed his own previous ruling, and will allow the professor's ex-wife to be questioned by the defense before trial.

The ruling clears the way for Wendi Adelson to be questioned for the first time since the day her ex-husband was murdered in July 2014.

At the time, I remember Karl Etters tweeting that the depo in Miami went on for a couple of hours. Bet the 5th was invoked quite a bit. Does the defense have an obligation to disclose the transcript to the public a la Sunshine Laws? I would love to get my hands on it. Kawass does appear to actually be Magbanua's attorney, as opposed to... So it could be enlightening.

Remember when June Umchinda said that Charlie was very proud of Katherine Magbanua's attorney? "Katie has a great one. He'd brag about hers." See attachment June U transcript: Line 11.

Having re-read this, it's unfortunate June Umchinda doesn't have family or friends to help her with her self-esteem and keep her safe from this. Can you imagine your own friend or family member is with a guy like Charlie Adelson and you don't do everything you can to get her way from this man? He cheats on her, is not kind to her even throwing the water at her. Jeez. Very sad for June Umchinda. When this is made into a movie, she will not look great at all.

Side note and for another post, I bet Whitney (Charlie's girlfriend at the time of the murder) has some answers -- there are breadcrumbs dropped throughout this saga about her. Even Georgia Cappleman dropped her name when questioning Wendi. Interesting... When history compares June vs Whitney, the good guy will be clear. For now, June keeps company with Katherine Magbanua -- covering for Charlie. For June, it's CHARLES IN CHARGE.

Dan Markel's ex-wife now answering questions in hotly contested deposition

IMO

Attachments

• Dim June.png
    Dim June.png
    369.8 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Thank you for the correction!

I am sorry. I wish I could delete my comment.

I always thought she won that legal battle. I am celebrating that defeat now (a little late). I need not to comment on stuff like this. I still don't understand that immunity deal. :confused::cool::(

NOW I want to get my hands on that deposition! :)

TALLAHASSEE, Fla (WCTV) -- The judge presiding over the Dan Markel murder case has reversed his own previous ruling, and will allow the professor's ex-wife to be questioned by the defense before trial.

The ruling clears the way for Wendi Adelson to be questioned for the first time since the day her ex-husband was murdered in July 2014.

Understandable. This case is so convoluted. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname