GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 *arrests* #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone ever read Bill James' book on true crime? Really interesting, and being the cerebral type he has a very compelling typology of evidence from most to least persuasive. Most persuasive would be probative physical evidence, like blood or DNA from the accused at the crime scene. Least persuasive are what he calls conclusions from type. Classic example is "X is guilty bc they reacted Y way and an innocent person would react not-Y way." The latter is usually not useful bc human reactions so there are always inferences you could make in either direction. This approach usually just imports the observer's preexisting bias about a situation.

A lot of the discussion of WA has been in the latter vein. "She knew bc she was a control freak." "She didn't know bc she was a princess and the family would have protected her." "The police video proves she knew." "The police video proves she didn't know." I don't think this is a useful approach bc of the above: You can come up with inferences to support both conclusions.

The good news is that we no longer need to make these kinds of unreliable inferences from type on the issue whether WA was involved because we have a pretty strong factual record to support this conclusion. Consider the facts we now have about her involvement:

1. Days before the murder, she asked Lacasse about his whereabouts on the 18th, and confirmed that he was leaving town on the day and around the time of the murder. Why would she have cared about the timing of Lacasse's trip at all, especially when she was (apparently) breaking up with him?

2. She cancelled the trip to California with Lacasse to meet his parents because of the remote chance that the flight (due to return on the 17th) would be cancelled and she'd miss getting her kids on the 18th because (per his testimony) she *had* to get her kids that day. Why would this have been so important unless she suspected Dan would not have been available to get the kids himself?

3. In the weeks leading up to the murder, she exhibited inexplicable anxiety so extreme she had diarrhea. At the "celebration dinner" after Dan was killed (which btw--how effed up is it that they had a celebration dinner about someone's murder, even if they weren't involved?), she was so out of it she vomited at the table. This one is more inferential but why would she have exhibited symptoms of severe nerves/anxiety/guilt at these precise times (including before the event) if it wasn't related to Dan's murder?

4. The killers drove a car very similar to Lacasse's. The only person involved in this who knew what car Lacasse drove was WA. How else could they have known to get a very specific make and model if she didn't provide the information?

There's likely more that others can supply, but these are facts that aren't susceptible of equally plausible competing inferences that show either her foreknowledge (2 and 3) or her involvement (1 and 4) the killing. With these facts, the question is not whether Wendi knew, it's whether she merely knew what was happening, or was actively involved as well.

On a podcast in 2015, WA reported that her husband was shot in the back of the head by a hitman.
While sitting in his car.
With the rear window intact.
A year before a hitman was arrested.

Episode 6

Holy crap good catch. I heard this but I didn't put that timing together. I guess we should ask: Was it widely assumed at the time of her podcast that a hitman had done this? I don't recall.

It's also interesting that she uses the term "hit man", which is the same term from CA's "joke". There are a lot of ways to say this: contract killer, hired killer, gun man, etc. Or if you don't know, you could say "unknown assailant." Or whatever. My point is that in addition to the timing the usage is meaningful.

Y

This case is such a fascinating study in psychology and family dynamics.
It certainly is in both areas.

However, I differ from most posters here, I do believe WA was very involved in the murder ie giving info out on when the hit needed to be completed by, his schedule etc. I think she probably even put in 1/3 of the monies needed to pay for the hit. She had the most to gain from Dan’s death.

all just my opinion

Last edited:
On a podcast in 2015, WA reported that her husband was shot in the back of the head by a hitman.
While sitting in his car.
With the rear window intact.
A year before a hitman was arrested.

Episode 6
Y

This case is such a fascinating study in psychology and family dynamics.

Wendi Adelson comes off as the most vile and evil character in this story. The only empathy she's capable of feeling is for herself - she was robbed not of a father for her kids, but of the sympathy that would normally fall on the spouse of a murder victim.

She filed for divorce, fled the house with the kids and wouldn't disclose where they were living for six weeks. She stole Dan Markel's aunt's holocaust ring and refused to give it back. She took 50% of the money in their accounts (i.e., $350k) but was hiding $220k of her personal investments and then took his tennis racket for good measure. She moved to Miami the day after the funeral and refused to cooperate with police. Which is odd because she never wanted to leave Tallahasse, she loved it there despite relocation being the biggest objective of divorce and her telling everyone who would listen how much she hated it.

On the day of the murder, she drove up to Trescott and saw the police blockade and the reason she drove by was "just her way of dealing with (emotionally processing) the divorce". After seeing the police barricade, it doesn't dawn on her that something might've happened at or within 500 feet of her old house and maybe she should check on her kids? Nope. They're fine. She doesn't ask about their safety for 5 hours into the interview where she learned her ex-husband was shot in the head. Her best memory of the day of the murder was that the cashier at the liquor store near Dan's house complimented on her beautiful eyes. She registered her kids last names as "Adelsons" two months after the murder and when she legally changed their names a year later, she removed a middle name of their oldest son, which was a tribute to Dan's family. But then again this middle name also had some meaning for her family too so technically "both families lost an honor that day". That must've made her sooo sad! Ok then, why? Because she was in danger, obviously. Some madman must have been out to kill her too! And thats why she was so "relieved" when Garcia was arrested and hoped it would finally bring everyone closure. Yep, shut'er down boys. You've cracked the case and Wendi can finally get some sleep cause there's nothing else to see here. Oh wait, what? There's more arrests. Wait a minute...this is starting to look like a witch hunt? Law enforcement is obsessed with their unwarranted campaign to frame her loving innocent family. And the media are almost as bad..because she can't go anywhere or find employment without this frame-job coming up, except for having the good fortune of being a clerk for 13th circuit federal court of appeals under a Judge friend of the family. She was happy with this as it allowed her to "get off Obamacare", which must've been a huuuuge relief as a single mother widow living with her parents in a luxury condo right on South Beach in Miami, and having to eek by on the $800k or so in her checking account. After the Judge friend took a flier on her, she found her way to another gig working with a local billionaire based on her dedication to the rights of undocumented immigrants. Which seems to stop short of criticizing her brother, the frequent sex tourist. She grieves the fact that it would likely be socially unacceptable to tell strangers who ask what her kids' father does that he doesn't do anything because he's dead. In fact, her biggest pet peeve is that she's not allow to express her true feelings about Dan Markel because he's a victim and that would be sacrilegious. It bothers her that when people ask her how she's coping in the year after the murder, she has to pretend she's ok by listing off all her incredible accomplishments.

This is a big problem for Wendi, because her only known previous hobby was hating Dan Markel. Don't you see that she's the victim here? She heroically gave up all of her rights by allowing police to search her vehicle and cell phone the day of the murder. She has not expressed even a passing curiosity as to why two gangbangers from Miami with connections to his brother's girlfriend might've killed her ex-husband or why her mother, who is her hero, is on FBI wiretaps getting extorted for $5,000 to help out the same gangbangers who murdered her ex-husband. And her kids, who she dedicates her life to the few hours a week she actually has them when her murdering mother isn't caring for them, they aren't allowed to see their other grandparents because they had the audacity to try to arrange care for the children in a hypothetical scenario where all Adelsons were arrested and they were sent to foster care. She had her lawyer inquire as to whether she could fight to replace Dan's sister as the trustee in charge of Dan's life insurance. But her wickedness is not only for the surviving Markel family, whose crime appears to be having a murdered son whose in--laws are unindicted co-conspirators. She has equal vitriol for any friend or family member who is remotely curious in trying to solve the case as she is completely estranged from her older brother who dared to question who might have a motive in this murder.

All the other characters in this story are deeply flawed but most have at least some semblance of humanity. The only instance I've seen her actually demonstrate an ounce of self-awareness was the seconds on the podcast where she wondered aloud if she wore a mask to hide her true feelings or if, in fact, she was a freak-show. Like that time she smiled when her friend told her that her Dad had just died. Wendi Adelson is a humanoid. And she's always the hero or the victim in every scenario, never the villain - which is classic narcissist and/or psychopathic behavior.

Last edited:
I participated on this board quite a bit during the last trial. Despite waiting through numerous delays, I somehow missed most of the trial. I was able to catch KM's testimony, the closing statements, and the verdict. For anyone who also fell behind, the daily recaps on that Florida Politics page are really comprehensive and helpful. If you do have time to watch the replays of any testimony, I highly recommend the testimony of Wendi, Lacasse, and KM.

For what it's worth, here are some thoughts/observations:

1) I wonder what the flaky juror from the first trial thinks about the results this time. (This was the juror who voted to acquit and submitted to an interview.) She seemed to be driven to acquit because she felt personally offended by how KM was characterized by the prosecution. I'll concede that the prosecution presented a tighter case this time and they were able to focus on just one defendant. Nonetheless, the prosecution's strategy wasn't substantially different from the first time. Looks like the prosecution did a better job on voir dire as well. IMO, this juror and the influence she seemed to have on another juror (I believe she bragged about this in the interview) really just wasted everyone's time.

2) Wendi's subpoenaed testimony almost (almost) made the second trial worth the wait. She had a somewhat snippy exchange with Cappleman, but the DeCoste cross was one of the most insane things I've seen in a trial. I'm not even sure how he thought he was helping his client, but he went right for the throat. I don't really like him, but I'm glad he channeled his smugness and obnoxiousness to bring WA down a bit. What was really great was that she had nobody looking out for her while she was on the stand. Cappleman and the just sat there and let DeCoste take Wendi to the woodshed. It seemed like WA acted like an NFL coach, who kept looking to the ref (judge) for a call, which never came. DeCoste didn't break her, but she definitely seemed more shaken up than she did last time with her smug, faux-ditzy performance.

3) Did anyone else catch Lacasse's testimony where he recounted his *ahem* "exploits" right in front of his sister while they were all sitting in a hot tub? Lacasse even said under oath that Wendi casually discussed that CA pursued "younger women" - apparently being un-phased by this DESPITE working for an anti-trafficking organization. Not only does this continue to establish that these are some really sick monkeys, but if WA and CA had such a transparent relationship, there's no way she wasn't clued in on the plan to rub out Dan.

4) KM self-immolation on the stand was really something to behold. In the first trial, it turned out to be a shrewd move. It may have very well humanized her to the hold out jurors, and I don't think the prosecution was prepared for the unconventional tactic. This time, she was entirely flummoxed throughout the entire cross. She was on state assistance and she couldn't remember making $17k deposits? She had no idea what she was doing for Charlie? It would have been more believable if she said CA was just paying her as a favor to an ex or that she was sleeping with him for the money. There was nothing the defense could do to rehabilitate KM after that disastrous performance.

Should have taken the deal, Katie!

Anyway, thanks for reading my thoughts. Glad to see that there continues to be some great discussion here and glad the Markels have seen some justice. I look forward to the Adelson trials!

Holy crap good catch. I heard this but I didn't put that timing together. I guess we should ask: Was it widely assumed at the time of her podcast that a hitman had done this? I don't recall.

It's also interesting that she uses the term "hit man", which is the same term from CA's "joke". There are a lot of ways to say this: contract killer, hired killer, gun man, etc. Or if you don't know, you could say "unknown assailant." Or whatever. My point is that in addition to the timing the usage is meaningful.
It was NOT known a hit man had done this. They did not know who had shot him at this time. I was struck when I heard this audio, which was well before SG and LR were ID’d.

My mind keeps wandering about this case - so many things - like all the murder plans, exchanges of information between the Adelsons, KM, LR and SG. Did Charlie ever stop and think that the more people involved, the more likelihood they would get caught or someone would talk? Also, I wonder what Wendi’s alibi was going to be the first trip SG and LR made but didn’t commit the murder? Did it also involve the tv repairman? What kind of car was rented? Same kind? ? Did Wendi act anxious during this time and until the time the murder was committed the following month? I know we will never have the answers to these questions, and the answers probably don’t matter anyway, but my mind is wandering tonight. I personally think Wendi knew it was going to go down. The TV repair alibi, her driving by the neighborhood immediately after the murder when it was way out of her way, the bourbon purchase, not calling the preschool or asking police if the father of their boys was okay. Her repeatedly asking police if Danny had died yet in the interview. The emails between her and Donna about “the Danny problem” and the confession to Jeffrey LaCasse that Charlie had looked into hiring a hitman. She had to have known. IMO.

Both times WA testified, Cappleman asked her about DA scheduling the July 18 TV repair appointment, and both times WA has said she doesn’t think DA scheduled it. I don’t know if the TV repair appointment confirmation was ever entered into evidence, but this 2019 article linked below says “On July 11, 2014, Donna emailed Wendi to confirm a Best Buy appointment to fix a broken TV set. It was scheduled for between 8 a.m. and noon July 18, 2014.”

Remember that there has been testimony from JL that WA and her kids were in Miami staying with her parents from June 29 to July 13. Interesting if some last minute planning happened in person over those weeks, leading to the TV repair being scheduled, and also interesting that the same day she returned from that long Miami stay, JL says she blurted out that if something happened to DM she would move to Miami and also that CA looked into hiring a hitman to kill DM in 2013.

Citation for July 11 TV repair scheduling

Both times WA testified, Cappleman asked her about DA scheduling the July 18 TV repair appointment, and both times WA has said she doesn’t think DA scheduled it. I don’t know if the TV repair appointment confirmation was ever entered into evidence, but this 2019 article linked below says “On July 11, 2014, Donna emailed Wendi to confirm a Best Buy appointment to fix a broken TV set. It was scheduled for between 8 a.m. and noon July 18, 2014.”

Remember that there has been testimony from JL that WA and her kids were in Miami staying with her parents from June 29 to July 13. Interesting if some last minute planning happened in person over those weeks, leading to the TV repair being scheduled, and also interesting that the same day she returned from that long Miami stay, JL says she blurted out that if something happened to DM she would move to Miami and also that CA looked into hiring a hitman to kill DM in 2013.

Citation for July 11 TV repair scheduling

Was the photo of Wendy on the beach with KM taken on THAT trip to Miami?

Wendi Adelson comes off as the most vile and evil character in this story. The only empathy she's capable of feeling is for herself - she was robbed not of a father for her kids, but of the sympathy that would normally fall on the spouse of a murder victim.

She filed for divorce, fled the house with the kids and wouldn't disclose where they were living for six weeks. She stole Dan Markel's aunt's holocaust ring and refused to give it back. She took 50% of the money in their accounts (i.e., $350k) but was hiding $220k of her personal investments and then took his tennis racket for good measure. She moved to Miami the day after the funeral and refused to cooperate with police. Which is odd because she never wanted to leave Tallahasse, she loved it there despite relocation being the biggest objective of divorce and her telling everyone who would listen how much she hated it.

On the day of the murder, she drove up to Trescott and saw the police blockade and the reason she drove by was "just her way of dealing with (emotionally processing) the divorce". After seeing the police barricade, it doesn't dawn on her that something might've happened at or within 500 feet of her old house and maybe she should check on her kids? Nope. They're fine. She doesn't ask about their safety for 5 hours into the interview where she learned her ex-husband was shot in the head. Her best memory of the day of the murder was that the cashier at the liquor store near Dan's house complimented on her beautiful eyes. She registered her kids last names as "Adelsons" two months after the murder and when she legally changed their names a year later, she removed a middle name of their oldest son, which was a tribute to Dan's family. But then again this middle name also had some meaning for her family too so technically "both families lost an honor that day". That must've made her sooo sad! Ok then, why? Because she was in danger, obviously. Some madman must have been out to kill her too! And thats why she was so "relieved" when Garcia was arrested and hoped it would finally bring everyone closure. Yep, shut'er down boys. You've cracked the case and Wendi can finally get some sleep cause there's nothing else to see here. Oh wait, what? There's more arrests. Wait a minute...this is starting to look like a witch hunt? Law enforcement is obsessed with their unwarranted campaign to frame her loving innocent family. And the media are almost as bad..because she can't go anywhere or find employment without this frame-job coming up, except for having the good fortune of being a clerk for 13th circuit federal court of appeals under a Judge friend of the family. She was happy with this as it allowed her to "get off Obamacare", which must've been a huuuuge relief as a single mother widow living with her parents in a luxury condo right on South Beach in Miami, and having to eek by on the $800k or so in her checking account. After the Judge friend took a flier on her, she found her way to another gig working with a local billionaire based on her dedication to the rights of undocumented immigrants. Which seems to stop short of criticizing her brother, the frequent sex tourist. She grieves the fact that it would likely be socially unacceptable to tell strangers who ask what her kids' father does that he doesn't do anything because he's dead. In fact, her biggest pet peeve is that she's not allow to express her true feelings about Dan Markel because he's a victim and that would be sacrilegious. It bothers her that when people ask her how she's coping in the year after the murder, she has to pretend she's ok by listing off all her incredible accomplishments.

This is a big problem for Wendi, because her only known previous hobby was hating Dan Markel. Don't you see that she's the victim here? She heroically gave up all of her rights by allowing police to search her vehicle and cell phone the day of the murder. She has not expressed even a passing curiosity as to why two gangbangers from Miami with connections to his brother's girlfriend might've killed her ex-husband or why her mother, who is her hero, is on FBI wiretaps getting extorted for $5,000 to help out the same gangbangers who murdered her ex-husband. And her kids, who she dedicates her life to the few hours a week she actually has them when her murdering mother isn't caring for them, they aren't allowed to see their other grandparents because they had the audacity to try to arrange care for the children in a hypothetical scenario where all Adelsons were arrested and they were sent to foster care. She had her lawyer inquire as to whether she could fight to replace Dan's sister as the trustee in charge of Dan's life insurance. But her wickedness is not only for the surviving Markel family, whose crime appears to be having a murdered son whose in--laws are unindicted co-conspirators. She has equal vitriol for any friend or family member who is remotely curious in trying to solve the case as she is completely estranged from her older brother who dared to question who might have a motive in this murder.

All the other characters in this story are deeply flawed but most have at least some semblance of humanity. The only instance I've seen her actually demonstrate an ounce of self-awareness was the seconds on the podcast where she wondered aloud if she wore a mask to hide her true feelings or if, in fact, she was a freak-show. Like that time she smiled when her friend told her that her Dad had just died. Wendi Adelson is a humanoid. And she's always the hero or the victim in every scenario, never the villain - which is classic narcissist and/or psychopathic behavior.
Great post and spot on. This is a vile, vile, woman.

Really great writing and assimilation of facts. Kudos.

This is brilliant! Unfortunately, none of it is evidence that she participated in the planning or execution of the murder plot. She’s pretty well insulated, based on what has come to light so far. I disagree that the others involved have any shred of humanity. No way. Katie especially comes off as a monster, and Donna’s voice on those tapes, talking to her little grandchildren at the same time as she tries to figure out who may be blackmailing her for the murder of their father, is chilling. I also think Lacasse’s testimony is chilling, particularly with regard to Wendi’s behavior at the time of the first Tallahassee trip, including canceling their upcoming trip to California, perhaps because she realized there would need to be a second trip. I do think she was interested in where he was going to be on the Friday of the murder, and she does readily offer him up as a suspect. (She appears to manipulate her friend into insisting she must name him.) I do not think it was a deliberate frame-up in the works for a long time, I think at most, it came to her that day in the yoga parking lot that he would make a good distraction for the cops. (she must have known that, even if they did investigate him, he would fall apart quickly as a suspect, as he said at trial, theres too much there to exculpate him.) I do not think that she knew what kind of car the killers would drive, or suggested they rent one that looked like Jeff’s. That’s a little too perfect, like the bullet bourbon. They seem to have rented the car at the last minute, and they rented different looking cars for each of the two trips. Also, Rivera would have mentioned that they were told to get a specific kind of car, he mentions everything else they were told. But even without that, her behavior is odd. The weirdest thing is her turning around at the road block. But, you can’t convict someone based on a three-point-turn. Also, does she definitively say she spoke to Dan that morning and so she knew he had already dropped the kids at school and they were safe? That would explain why she doesn’t ask about them. Or did he just leave a message that he was going to drop them off? This is murky and would have to be tightened up if they decide to try her.
This is extremely well stated and in line with my opinions and beliefs. Any case against Wendi is tenuous at best right now. The best shot at getting Wendi, in my opinion, would be if Katie finally comes clean and testifies that Charlie implicated his sister in their conversations. Even if that occurred, Katie is a horribly damaged and noncredible witness and all of Charlie's conversations suggest that it would have been highly unlikely he would have spoken specifically about his sister's involvement in a plot. Wendi really is heavily insulated from the conspiracy so far.

That said, if Katie cooperates and does implicate Wendi, that would be enough basis to seek a grand jury indictment of her. I find myself imagining Cappleman getting indictments against both Donna and Wendi and then floating a plea deal centered on having the Markel family take custody of the boys. That would be appropriate punishment for both of them. Unfortunately, one can't avoid considering that these boys have been raised by the Adelsons who have misguidedly cut them off from their paternal family. It would be traumatic and terrible for them to be uprooted this way and, of course, they are victims here as much as Danny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member