GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 *arrests* #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wendi throwing Charlie under the bus with Lacasse and in her police interview is pretty wild! I hadn’t thought about that since the first trial but after listening to the Jason Solomon interview that someone posted (thank you for that!), he makes a good point about Charlie turning on Wendi. I also listened to the audio of him complaining to his mom (who agrees with him!) about Wendi’s entitlement! This family dynamic is fascinating to me. He kinda sounds resentful of her and like he’s looking for validation from his mother on that. The mother is the puppet master!

I remember reading a transcript describing that Katie was having car trouble, and Charlie insisted that it be repaired by his mechanic-friend, Sully, and ONLY Sully. This took place in April, 2016, while LE was tapping their calls, and while Katie was making continued demands for compensation. After Sully repaired the car, one of Katie's wheels fell off while driving on the highway. She discovered that a bolt securing the tire to the car was unscrewed. Does anyone have this same recollection and know where the transcript may be found?

Wendi throwing Charlie under the bus with Lacasse and in her police interview is pretty wild! I hadn’t thought about that since the first trial but after listening to the Jason Solomon interview that someone posted (thank you for that!), he makes a good point about Charlie turning on Wendi. I also listened to the audio of him complaining to his mom (who agrees with him!) about Wendi’s entitlement! This family dynamic is fascinating to me. He kinda sounds resentful of her and like he’s looking for validation from his mother on that. The mother is the puppet master!
She may be acting like she agrees with him on that tape, but my suspicion is she is firmly on Team Wendi and both will throw Charlie under the bus ultimately. Big question, will he peek out from those wheels and turn them in their direction? I sure hope so.

June Umchnida's full 2018 interview with police is well worth the read for anyone who hasn't. Fancifiction had posted it earlier but I have attached it again for your reading pleasure. There's a lot to chew on there, including:
- a websleuths shoutout. She was a regular lurker and was getting all her info from here when she first learned of the case;
- confirmation about not only the stapled cash but just how much cash Charlie dealt in;
- the conversation with Donna about Dan haunting them from the grave;
- most interestingly, Charlie's mental state both his breakdown, erratic behaviour but also in how he thought it would "all be over" after the KM and SG trial when KM would acquitted. Charlie was very familiar with Magbanua's Defense team, spoke highly of them and noted that they shared offices with his own Defense team. Even references how KM would not flip. (I wish the FBI got more out of her on this stuff!)
- a big fight between Wendi and Charlie when the case blew up in the media. Someone unfamiliar with the case might interpret this to mean Wendi was mad at Charlie for killing Dan but its very clear thats not the case. She's mad at Charlie for all the new media exposure and/or how he foolishly dealt with the blackmailing FBI; and they were able to reconcile whatever differences because they were both under the media spotlight, not just Wendi (its always poor Wendi!)

I won't spoil it all. But when I got to the part about Charlie visiting someone specific in the Philippines, I started to wonder whether this person was just another poor Asian girl Charlie was exploiting or whether she might be the intermediary between the Adelsons money and Magbanua's legal fees.
Thank you for sharing this! I've not ever seen it either.

"The only thing bad about him, was supposedly he's a murderer, so." June Umchinda

Then later, "well yeah, the murdering and the cheating". But other than that, her "dream guy."

Wow.

(you're right, Blue S. this is fascinating)

She may be acting like she agrees with him on that tape, but my suspicion is she is firmly on Team Wendi and both will throw Charlie under the bus ultimately. Big question, will he peek out from those wheels and turn them in their direction? I sure hope so.
Yeah I think Charlie will be expected by DA and WA to take the fall for the family. The stapled million dollar question is will he?? He’s about to find out that no one has his back! That’s what happens in a family of vipers! That’s probably why he was trying to cling to June - she’s a doormat and adores him! He will be facing a major rude awakening!

"The only thing bad about him, was supposedly he's a murderer, so." June Umchinda

Then later, "well yeah, the murdering and the cheating". But other than that, her "dream guy."

Wow.

(you're right, Blue S. this is fascinating)

For all the talk in court about how outgoing and funny Charlie Adelson is, the only legitimately funny thing I ever heard him say on the wire was when he told his mom he couldn't have kids with June because they would need to wear velcro shoes (i..e, she's a moron, lol). And I think that checks out. Her IG is basically a museum exhibit for selfish materialism and the illusion of wealth. I can see how Charlie was her dream guy.

I really hope they are engaging some psych consults to help choreograph the whole thing based on their personalities and tendencies to flip on each other. I'm rewatching LaCasse's testimony and a question I had just got an aha moment. I think Wendi made that comment about Charlie looking in to hiring a hit man five days before the murder because she was already covering her own bases by pre-throwing Charlie under the bus. Knowing LaCasse would throw suspicion his way (after he was being questioned under suspicion that she was expecting he would be after her set up of him). This woman makes Catherine Tramell from Basic Instinct look like a pussycat! (pun really was not intended there lol)
BBM

LOL!

And that's a great observation. She's so calculating!

For all the talk in court about how outgoing and funny Charlie Adelson is, the only legitimately funny thing I ever heard him say on the wire was when he told his mom he couldn't have kids with June because they would need to wear velcro shoes (i..e, she's a moron, lol). And I think that checks out. Her IG is basically a museum exhibit for selfish materialism and the illusion of wealth. I can see how Charlie was her dream guy.
I don't remember that, but yes, that's pretty funny.

IA CA does not come off charming, smart or funny to me in anything I heard. And I’m not saying that bc he’s a murderer. To me he comes off like a jerk and a show-off. Just a run of the mill braggadocious guy. Someone that would irritate me if I knew him in real life and I would be trying to limit my interactions with.

But to the likes of June and KA he’s so charming and smart! Well yeah….I can see why they view him that way….

IA CA does not come off charming, smart or funny to me in anything I heard. And I’m not saying that bc he’s a murderer. To me he comes off like a jerk and a show-off. Just a run of the mill braggadocious guy. Someone that would irritate me if I knew him in real life and I would be trying to limit my interactions with.

But to the likes of June and KA he’s so charming and smart! Well yeah….I can see why they view him that way….
Totally agree. I could see how a handful of naive gold-diggers could fall for the promise of the good life, but what surprised me was that he had a crew of guy friends. In my experience, the Charlie Adelson personality types have zero guy friends. My guess is that his guy friends were of the gym-bro narcissistic variety like him and therefore only capable of mutually beneficial surface-level friendships.

I bet he's not making a lot of buds in Leon County Detention Center. And if Harvey and Wendi never get charged, I hope they have to spend every other weekend driving to Tallahassee to visit his dumbass.

Hi there, where did you hear/read this? Was it played during the trial? (I couldn't hear any of the wire tapped calls--the sound quality was so bad. Genius of the prosecutors to essentially summarize the calls during cross and closing.) Thank you!

Hi there, where did you hear/read this? Was it played during the trial? (I couldn't hear any of the wire tapped calls--the sound quality was so bad. Genius of the prosecutors to essentially summarize the calls during cross and closing.) Thank you!
Honestly, I can't even remember at this point. I stumbled on a website awhile back that had a ton of wiretap calls, I will try to find it but suspect it was either Mentour Lawyer or David Lat's archives at Above the Law?

A lot of the wiretap calls were played in the first trial whereas only a handful were used in the re-trial. I am not entirely sure why...seems like Judge Wheeler narrowed the scope of the wiretaps as he didnt even rule until the last minute that the Donna to Charlie to Magbanua calls right after the bump could be introduced in the re-trial.

As an aside, we should really start keeping a depository of the key wiretaps and public documents in this case. I know Mentour Lawyer has almost everything, but it would be nice to have electronic copies that could be accessed.

Last edited:
Another weird but telling part of Umchinda's police interview: she was waaaay more annoyed with the quality of the picture of her on the internet (I guess it wasn't her best angle?) than she was of the prospect of Charlie having an innocent father of two executed in his driveway. Gross.

I dunno man, I like Wendi about as much as I like the lingering stomach flu, but I can't fault her too much for this. Raising kids is hard even with a partner. Doing it solo is even tougher. She gets 0 sympathy points since the reason she's a single mom is that she and/or or family had their dad killed, but as an empirical statement of fact this is true and pretty far from the worst thing Wendi's ever said.

WRT to HA - Wasn't there a video of DA, CA, and DA Adelson all getting together for a late night pow-wow on their patio or something? I'm not sure where that took place in the timeline, but I imagine - like with Wendi - the best that could be said about him is that he may not have known initially, but he is unwilling to do anything to help with the investigation that would put his family in legal jeopardy now that he does know.

Also, if DA's statement that HA was "going to flip" refers to him eventually learning that they conspired to execute DM, that seems like quite the understatement. That seems like the sort of description you'd use if you're concerned that your dad is going to learn about your "D-" in physics not when mom and you decide to put in a bid for committing the crime of the decade.

The Tara Kawass’ “work product” about having Sigfredo Garcia testify to the effect of “Charles Adelson hired me directly to kill Dan Markel without KM as intermediary” is at least strange, if not crazy! Sigfredo Garcia and his new lawyer Baya Harrison, III, are appealing “[…] the Appellant requests that the judgment of the circuit court be REVERSED, and this cause remanded for a new trial.”

I do not foresee this appeal to be successful, given that KM got convicted in all three counts. What are very telling in the narrative of Sigfredo Garcia’s appeal consist of many small incriminating details damaging Charles and Wendi Adelson.

Did you know that Charles and Wendi Adelson went to a dinner celebration the very day of the murder? See picture attached. The picture provides the URL address whereas you could download the appeal document for many interesting details.

Attachments

• Wendi & Charlie Celebrated the Murder.png
    Wendi & Charlie Celebrated the Murder.png
    100.5 KB · Views: 92
Watch this video if you are curious about where Wendi Adelson works now:

Wendi Adelson’s current boyfriend is alleged to be a billionaire involved in the IT industry.

During her examination, and especially during her cross examination that was obviously a recitation of a script learned by rote memory, Wendi Adelson displayed an intriguing confidence. It appears that Wendi is looking forward to be off the hook, to the point of intimating that she will change her name and the names of her children as soon as her “nightmares” subside.

Watch this video if you want to know some of the powerful connections who were helping Charles and Wendi Adelson for the last 8 years:

Michael Weinstein is 1) Charles Adelson’s best friend, 2) his lawyer about business related issues since 2014, and 3) known member / local election candidate of a politically connected Florida family.
Michael Weinstein’s father is Peter Weinstein 1) former chief judge of Broward County, 2) longtime State Senator, and 3) the godfather of … Wendi Adelson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoCal Greg