GUILTY FL - David James, 41, slain in dispute, "Stand Your Ground", Valrico, 25 Sept 2010 *probation*

http://www.wtsp.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=149422&catid=250

Parents outraged with bus system as students are stranded

One of the students says she asked the bus driver where they were and she says he stopped the bus and told her to shut the hell up. That bus driver was Trevor Dooley, who was charged with manslaughter after witnesses say he shot his neighbor at a Hillsborough Park because of a skateboard incident.

snip...

Meanwhile, Dooley, who has been released on bail, resigned his position with the district Monday.

One of the students says she asked the bus driver where they were and she says he stopped the bus and told her to shut the hell up. That bus driver was Trevor Dooley, who was charged with manslaughter after witnesses say he shot his neighbor at a Hillsborough Park because of a skateboard incident.

snip...

Meanwhile, Dooley, who has been released on bail, resigned his position with the district Monday.

Well well well! Why am I not surprised Paintr? Maybe I was wrong. It seems that it isn't just skateboarders that Dooley hates. It sounds to me like he hates children in general! Like I said earlier in the thread, I think this was a hate crime, MOO.

I'd be raising heck too if my child rode that bus. I'd also hire an atty faster than I can blink.

Why do people who hate children choose to work in the education business? I love children. I miss teaching so much. (I resigned due to autoimmune disorder) I wish every day that I could go back to working with those kids. Reading about this man and his dispicable character and actions towards our young ones makes me sick to my stomach. Now I'm worried about him trying to kill or intimidate the bus students who told on him. He knows where they live. I pray for their safety and admire their bravery in speaking out against his bullying ways.

My rant is over now. As always, all MOO!

wm

So here's the real story as I imagine it might be. The following account is purely ficticious.

Dooley's sitting in his recliner, watching the ball game on tv, and watching the park across the street through his front window when he sees some fourteen year olds skating around on the tennis courts. "Those little b^tards are at it again, and I'm going to go over there and put a stop to this once and for all." He tucks his gun in his waistband thinking, "Hmmm, when they see my gun, maybe they'll understand I mean business."

So Dooley, packing the heat that makes himself a Big Man, goes into the park looking for trouble, looking to start something with a bunch of 14 year old boys, and he does. He starts giving them the third degree.

DJ while playing basketball with his 8 year old daughter, witnesses this exchange, and tells Dooley to lay off the kids. Dooley then points to his gun, and that my friends is a threat. Dooley was armed, dangerous, and threatening! By pointing to his gun, Dooley was in essence saying nonverbally, "You want some of this? Then come and get it." DJ was fully aware of the threat Dooley presented to the kids and himself, and sought to disarm a crazy man.

I see the situation exactly as you've presented it....I also believe the hold-up in the arrest of Dooley was because #1, he was an ex-cop, and #2, police had to make certain that all the proper charges were filed.

snip...

Why would someone who disrespects children so much choose to drive a darn school bus!!!! This guy is a walking time-bomb, and I hope he is removed from our streets before he blows some teenager to Kingdom Come.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/confrontation-should-have-ended-with-a-punch-thrown-or-sheriffs-deputies/1126706

Confrontation should have ended with a punch thrown or sheriff's deputies being called. But there was a gun.

Dooley may use a stand-your-ground defense against a manslaughter charge. (He will have to overcome the hurdle of other charges of improperly exhibiting and openly carrying a gun, since the law requires that you were otherwise acting legally when you stood your ground.) Still, he could win.

On those afternoons in the middle of nowhere with my father, aiming at beer cans and tree trunks, I think he wanted us to see that with power comes responsibility — including knowing when not to use it.

And even if bad law says you can.

Why can't people just admit their mistakes? This old curmudgeon was wrong, wrong, wrong, IMO!

It should have been such a simple request to ask a kid not to skateboard on the basketball court. Who, in their right mind, feels the need to brandish a firearm to confront a 14 year old?!!!!!

A little 8 yr old girl is robbed of her father forever because of this man's hatefulness and poor choice. There is NO reason to use a gun to intimidate anyone or shoot someone over darned skateboarding. And on community property at that! He should have taken it up with the HOA if he felt there was a problem.

Dooly should stand up and be man and admit his deadly mistake and take his medicine in order for this family to receive justice for the murder of their Husband/Father/Son! But no, he cowardly hides behind some (unusual) law in order to further terrorize this family.
That's how I see it anyway and I hope justice is served and he gets what he deserves. What a huge waste! He was in a position to make a difference in children's lives as a bus driver for the school system. He made a difference but not a positive one!

My rant is over for now and I thank you all for listening. This case really gets to me as I am a former teacher and a child advocate and it ticks me off that an 8 year old is traumatized over witnessing the murder of her Daddy.....by the school bus driver, no less. Just imagine how she and the skateboarder(s) must feel!

OK going to watch football and unruffle my feathers..........

All MOO

wm

WM - You could hardly expect him to man up and admit what he did. Brandishing a weapon at a 14-year-old is hardly manly or mature, I wouldn't expect him to suddenly change his feathers.

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/dpp/news/local/hillsborough/valrico-playground-shooting-case-102610

Widow struggles with playground shooting case

In her first one-on-one interview, Kanina says she's frustrated. She wonders why the man accused in David's killing walks free.

snip...

Friends and neighbors have set up the Danielle Kerrigan James fund at Bank of America. They're raising money for college and for counseling.

Trevor Dooley is scheduled to appear in court in early December for a procedural hearing. He's been suspended from his job as a school bus driver.

http://www.wtsp.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=155301&catid=8

Valrico, Florida -- The camera lights have dimmed and the hustle of law enforcement and media that once filled the streets of the quiet Twin Lakes neighborhood are quiet again.

But, life here is not the same. Especially not for Kanina James and her 8-year-old daughter Danielle.

snip...

On Monday, Dooley did not appear for a routine legal hearing in his case, however, his attorney was there for him and surrendered Dooley's concealed weapons permit.

He has another court date in December. A judge ordered Dooley to stay away from his Twin Lakes home, which is across the street from the park.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/humaninterest/fatal-twin-lakes-shooting-shatters-a-family-8212-and-a-neighborhoods-peace/1135032

The other day, Kanina finally bagged up a bunch of her husband's old clothes to donate to Goodwill.

But she has yet to drop them off. The thought of this stuff on hangers with other cast-off jeans and jackets makes her sick.

Part of her still expects James to come walking through the front door, like he did so many times after returning from active duty in faraway countries.

But the American flag urn on the entryway table reminds her that he won't.

So she forces herself to live in memories, to look at pictures even though they make her cry.

James' motorcycle still sits in the garage. His exercise machine collects dust in the living room. Souvenirs he brought back from tours in the Middle East are scattered around the house.

Paintr, That was a great article! It brought tears to my eyes! Thank you for posting all the links and keeping us informed on this tragedy.

I am considering trying to contact Tony Hawk or some other pro skate boarder regarding this sad story. Maybe they could create an awareness campaign that skateboarders are not bad, it is a sport. I just don't understand the stigma that some attach to it. My next door neighbor will send skaters away if he sees them skating on the dead end street separating our homes. One day I had a talk with him about it when he referred to them as punks! They aren't punks, they are just looking for a safe place to skate and this is public property, I said. It offended me as my son skated from elementary school all the way thru college, where he would skate from class to class and he is not a punk!

I feel so bad for the kids in that neighborhood and all the residents who are dealing with this horrible act that dooley committed. I wish the boys luck in getting their skate park!

MOO

wm

Paintr, That was a great article! It brought tears to my eyes! Thank you for posting all the links and keeping us informed on this tragedy.

I am considering trying to contact Tony Hawk or some other pro skate boarder regarding this sad story. Maybe they could create an awareness campaign that skateboarders are not bad, it is a sport. I just don't understand the stigma that some attach to it. My next door neighbor will send skaters away if he sees them skating on the dead end street separating our homes. One day I had a talk with him about it when he referred to them as punks! They aren't punks, they are just looking for a safe place to skate and this is public property, I said. It offended me as my son skated from elementary school all the way thru college, where he would skate from class to class and he is not a punk!

I feel so bad for the kids in that neighborhood and all the residents who are dealing with this horrible act that dooley committed. I wish the boys luck in getting their skate park!

MOO

wm

Oh, that article choked me up, too. :cry:

That is a great idea about contacting Tony Hawk. I guess I've been lucky, and didn't realize that skateboarders were thought of as punks. I've never minded when we've had kids skating in our parking lot. I like seeing the kids outside, having fun, and getting exercise. I never understood the need for others to run them off.

Ok, I sent an email to Tony Hawk with a link to the latest story as well as a link to WS.
I asked him if he could perhaps send these children condolences and encouragement in their quest to have a neighborhood skate park built.

We will see what happens. Here is a link to Tony Hawk's official site, FYI.

http://www.tonyhawk.com/index.html

wm

Ok, I sent an email to Tony Hawk with a link to the latest story as well as a link to WS.
I asked him if he could perhaps send these children condolences and encouragement in their quest to have a neighborhood skate park built.

We will see what happens. Here is a link to Tony Hawk's official site, FYI.

http://www.tonyhawk.com/index.html

wm

BBM. This would be fantastic. I worry alot about the young skateboarder that witnessed the shooting.

BBM. This would be fantastic. I worry alot about the young skateboarder that witnessed the shooting.

Me too SuziQ. I worry about him having feelings of guilt for something that is normal for teenaged boys to participate in....skating. I hope he is receiving counseling. I read in one of the above articles that James son and another teen are planning a skate park to be presented to HOA. I hope that TH will offer some type of support for the kids. Just a card or letter would be a nice gesture. In my dream of dreams TH would step in and finance a neighborhood skate park for the kids in memory of Mr. James! I think it would help the neighborhood heal from this tragedy.

Mr. James is a true hero! He protected those children from an angry (unusual person).

MOO

wm

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/dpp/news/local/hillsborough/new-evidence-released-in-veteran's-death-121310

Hundreds of pages and hours of audio tapes that tell the tragic story of an Iraq war veteran’s death were released Monday afternoon. David James was playing basketball last September with his 8-year-old daughter when a neighbor confronted him over a young boy’s skateboard.

This evidence will ultimately decide if Trevor Dooley, 69, goes to prison for the rest of his life. Detectives say he shot Dooley after a confrontation at the basketball court. The two were arguing over whether a young boy should be allowed to use a skateboard there or not.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/courts...o-shooting-all-this-over-a-skateboard/1139877

The Hillsborough State Attorney's Office released audio tapes of 911 calls and a video of an interview with Danielle James, the shooting victim's 8-year-old daughter. To hear and view them, go to links.tampabay.com.

http://www.google.ca/search?rlz=1T4...8&tbo=u&tbs=nws:1&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wn

video

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2010/de...le-who-witnessed-valrico-shoot/news-breaking/

Witnesses describe Valrico shooting over skateboarders

Dooley belongs in prison for the rest of his life based on the eye witness accounts.
Thanks for the link to the article, Paintr!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back