FL - Dawn Brancheau, Female Trainer Killed at Shamu Stadium

I hope the ban stays in place for good. SeaWorld created an animal with no history of aggression toward people in the wild into a killer. They have abused these animals beyond belief. Unfortunately people still find it amusing to see orcas jumped on, surfed on, ridden, and forced to do circus tricks to make them appear human (i.e. nod their heads yes/no, kiss, stick out their tongue, etc). It's really quite repulsive.

If trainers get in the water again we'll read about another death at SeaWorld sooner or later and it's no fault of the orca.

http://www.latintimes.com/articles/10215/20131113/seaworld-killer-whale-4-things-know-tilikum.htm

SeaWorld Killer Whale: 4 Things To Know About Tilikum And The Captive Cetacean Controversy

Three judges heard the arguments between SeaWorld, who want their trainers back in the water and OSHA, who is demanding the trainers remain separated from the animals.

Following Tuesday's hearing the three judges have adjourned to deliberate. A decision is expected to be made in a few months.

Bought the Death at Seaworld ibook last night and I don't want to put it down!

http://nypost.com/2013/11/20/animal-rights-activists-plan-protest-of-macys-parade-seaworld-float/

Animal rights activists plan protest of Macy’s parade SeaWorld float

The SeaWorld float, which depicts rolling waves, tropical fish, penguins and Shamu, comes months after the release of the documentary “Blackfish,” which contends that SeaWorld’s poor treatment of its killer whales contributed to the aggression of a whale involved in a trainer’s death.

Activists, including members of the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, say they plan to stage a protest somewhere along the route during next week’s parade. And the group says it has sent Macy’s more than 80,000 emails from animal lovers demanding that the store drop the float.

Among those joining in was actor Alec Baldwin and his wife, Hilaria, who wrote last week that SeaWorld was a “cruel prison for whales” and that the parks “should not be celebrated with a giant Shamu float parading down 34th Street.”

Rendering of SeaWorld’s “A Sea Of Surprises” float for the 87th annual Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade. (credit: seaworldentertainment.com)

seaworld.jpg

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/11...sgiving-day-parade-despite-protest-from-peta/

http://m.utsandiego.com/news/2013/nov/21/tp-teens-lauded-for-short-video-about-seaworlds/

TEENS LAUDED FOR SHORT VIDEO ABOUT SEAWORLD’S ORCAS

Animal rights activists praise youths for raising questions

“Dear SeaWorld” is the students’ 53-second response to “Blackfish,” a film released this year that examines the death of a SeaWorld Orlando trainer and the treatment of orcas.

It goes from “Dear SeaWorld, thank you for all the amazing memories” to “Is it true the orcas in your exhibits were kidnapped from their families?”

The student filmmakers said they want to call attention to the plight of captive whales and perhaps get them banned from being used for entertainment purposes.

nova listed the parks with orcas... i don't think marineland canada (niagara falls) was included.

Despite their ferocious name, killer whales are actually friendly and affectionate animals. Previously regarded as undesirable, fearsome predators, this congenial side of the largest member of the dolphin family became known only through observations and contact made at facilities like Marineland.

when exactly were they regarded as "undesirable"?

http://www.marinelandcanada.com/attractions/killer_whales/

i watched "blackfish" in the summer and am currently reading death at seaworld... :( ... the videos mentioned are still on youtube btw.

p.s. i have a pic of me on my birthday (12?) getting a kiss from an orca at MLC... back when we were all so naive.

nova listed the parks with orcas... i don't think marineland canada (niagara falls) was included….

Thanks, red. My list was by no means complete. I was just listing the parks that had been mentioned in this thread and the linked documentaries.

I wouldn't pretend to know all the parks that house dolphins or other marine life. I know the Russians were behind the latest catch, so I assumed (perhaps wrongly) that there is a park somewhere in Russia.

(ETA I took that "previously considered undesirable" to mean they were once assumed to be a nuisance, a danger or competition for fishermen and seal catchers. My memory of the 1970s is that when the film ORCA came out, most of us thought of the species as potential killers of swimmers (just as we thought of sharks with JAWS). Sea World does at least deserve credit for dispelling that myth--though I'm not agreeing they did it the right way.)

Thanks, red. My list was by no means complete. I was just listing the parks that had been mentioned in this thread and the linked documentaries.

I wouldn't pretend to know all the parks that house dolphins or other marine life. I know the Russians were behind the latest catch, so I assumed (perhaps wrongly) that there is a park somewhere in Russia.

(ETA I took that "previously considered undesirable" to mean they were once assumed to be a nuisance, a danger or competition for fishermen and seal catchers. My memory of the 1970s is that when the film ORCA came out, most of us thought of the species as potential killers of swimmers (just as we thought of sharks with JAWS). Sea World does at least deserve credit for dispelling that myth--though I'm not agreeing they did it the right way.)

The Orca Project (excellent web site) has a list of the parks housing orcas.

http://theorcaproject.wordpress.com/killer-whale-orca-marine-parks/

A lady who once created major advertising and public relations campaigns for SeaWorld has had a change of heart after watching Blackfish.

"Today, I can no longer remain silent in my fury and anguish after just viewing the extraordinary documentary, Blackfish, which reveals the profound cruelty of Orcas, primarily those at SeaWorld. This is a film that must be seen by the world because it uncovers that which most of us never knew nor wanted to believe, that these “happy” whales flipping and breaching on command are indeed, miserable, highly stressed, sickly, going insane, deeply grieving, separated from their natural habitats, their familiar pods—babies and mothers screaming for each other, all isolated in cruel and abusive ways that are unfathomable. We can no longer sit by nor support this immoral madness and applaud in delight. It would be no different than cheering on the destruction of life itself."

Her entire op-ed here:
http://theorcaproject.wordpress.com/2013/11/05/seaworld-ad-writer-op-ed-post-blackfish/#more-5310

It is so awesome to see people coming out and taking a stand against Sea World.

The following performers are scheduled to play at SeaWorld. One band cancelled after watching Blackfish. Over 6000 people so far have signed a petition asking Willie Nelson to cancel. There are petitions for the rest of the bands as well asking them not to promote animal cruelty.

I had no idea SeaWorld held concerts. They are free with admission to the park. :(

Feb. 1 -- Willie Nelson
Feb. 2 -- TBA
Feb. 8 -- Cheap Trick
Feb. 9 -- TBA
Feb. 15 -- Barenaked Ladies (Cancelled after watching Blackfish)

Feb. 16 -- REO Speedwagon
Feb. 22 -- TBA
Feb. 23 -- Justin Moore
March 1 -- Scotty McCreery
March 2 -- TBA
March 8 -- Martina McBride
March 9 -- 38 Special

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...s-georgia-aquarium-seaworld-entertainment-inc

Wild killer whales captured in Russia for overseas marine parks, activists say

Seven wild killer whales have been captured off the eastern coast of Russia in recent months, according to a conservation group, in what activists say appears to be an effort to stock some overseas marine parks.

Two of the seven captured orcas will be on display at the winter Olympics. An endangered wild caught Black Sea dolphin will be used as a torch bearer.

http://digitaljournal.com/article/363041

A lady who once created major advertising and public relations campaigns for SeaWorld has had a change of heart after watching Blackfish.

"Today, I can no longer remain silent in my fury and anguish after just viewing the extraordinary documentary, Blackfish, which reveals the profound cruelty of Orcas, primarily those at SeaWorld. This is a film that must be seen by the world because it uncovers that which most of us never knew nor wanted to believe, that these “happy” whales flipping and breaching on command are indeed, miserable, highly stressed, sickly, going insane, deeply grieving, separated from their natural habitats, their familiar pods—babies and mothers screaming for each other, all isolated in cruel and abusive ways that are unfathomable. We can no longer sit by nor support this immoral madness and applaud in delight. It would be no different than cheering on the destruction of life itself."

Her entire op-ed here:
http://theorcaproject.wordpress.com/2013/11/05/seaworld-ad-writer-op-ed-post-blackfish/#more-5310

While there is no doubt Orcas should not be used as circus animals....at the same time we cannot romanticize the reality of turning them into the wild without thought.

The choice should be up to THEM and not forced on them. If they prefer the company of humans then humans need to do the right thing and accommodate them.

I have not followed this thread closely and this has probably been posted before....but watch the 12 minute video on what really happened when "Free Willy" was set free. It isn't pretty. Tough love and all of that was used to FORCE the animal into the wild and imo that was just plain cruel and it was NOT about what was best for him or about what he wanted, it was once again about all about what pleases humans and what their agenda of the moment is.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/19/freeing-willy-documentary_n_3957369.html

While there is no doubt Orcas should not be used as circus animals....at the same time we cannot romanticize the reality of turning them into the wild without thought.

The choice should be up to THEM and not forced on them. If they prefer the company of humans then humans need to do the right thing and accommodate them.

I have not followed this thread closely and this has probably been posted before....but watch the 12 minute video on what really happened when "Free Willy" was set free. It isn't pretty. Tough love and all of that was used to FORCE the animal into the wild and imo that was just plain cruel and it was NOT about what was best for him or about what he wanted, it was once again about all about what pleases humans and what their agenda of the moment is.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/19/freeing-willy-documentary_n_3957369.html

Most of the orcas at SeaWorld (SW) could never be released into the wild because of the catastrophic dental problems captivity causes. SW personnel drill holes in their teeth which require a lifetime of daily teeth/gum cleaning in order to prevent deadly infection.

Regarding the drilling (an extremely painful process using a tool very similar to a dremel drill):

"Success is measured by blood spilling out of the hole, in which case it's apparent the bore is complete." - Former SeaWorld Trainer

Pictures and more info regarding drilling and dental problems:

http://theorcaproject.wordpress.com...ptivity-oral-health-of-killer-whales-exposed/

As for Keiko, he was not a good candidate for release. Many of the stories/footage in the 12 minute video were scaled down and taken from a documentary called 'A Whale of a Business' available on youtube. Keiko's story is also covered in a book called A Death at SeaWorld by David Kirby.

Keiko is used by many pro-caps to support their agenda. In reality it's not a black/white issue...it's not captivity--vs--dumping them in the scary dark ocean to fend for themselves. There is another option and that is a sea pen. There is a proposal for Lolita's sea pen if you're interested. orcanetwork.org/retirement/html

I'm not if sure you're referring to me with your comments in your post so I'll make my feelings clear.

Breeding should stop now. This horribly cruel experiment has gone on long enough. Animal cruelty in the name of entertainment and profit is not acceptable. The captive orcas should be allowed to live out their remaining years in a sea pen with human assistance. They should be in natural water (not a bunch of chemicals) where they can swim in a straight line. They should be free of blasting music, begging for food, separating mothers from babies, frequent antibiotics, frozen gelatin blocks, tagamet, and being shipped all over the place like furniture...it's disgusting. If at some point in the future (many years) some young healthy orcas can be set free safely, together, that's great. If not, they should be taken care of for life.

It's willful ignorance this day and age for anyone to believe orcas belong in a concrete bowl.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberdw2021
Back