FL - Dawn Brancheau, Female Trainer Killed at Shamu Stadium

I agree, jon, but couldn't have said it as well. Thank you.

(Sonya, all posters up thread have agreed that orcas can't be released into the wild willy-nilly. Only those who are fairly young and new to captivity--and who can be re-united with their families--are good candidates for release. Keiko did not meet those conditions.)

I came across this site when searching for rehabilitation for orca...

http://www.freemorgan.org/

She is being held in Lorco Parque, where Alex Martinez was killed 2 months before Dawn was.

Visit the site, and read...maybe there's something we can do for her? I don't believe adults can be rehabilitated to be able to survive in the wild, but she's still pretty young, and they know where her family is...also, read about Springer. Uplifting and good story there.

Best-
Herding Cats

The appeals hearing was held today for Morgan's release. Captivity is taking a terrible toll on her. I hope she can hold out long enough before they drill her teeth.

http://www.freemorgan.org/latest-news/

In addition to Alexis Martinez, Claudia Vollhardt was attacked and hospitalized by Tekoa (SeaWorld orca). Tekoa is attacked by the other orcas and has scars all over his body. I was shocked to see the pictures:

http://timzimmermann.com/2011/09/26/the-trials-of-tekoa/

Recent pictures of Tekoa show dramatic weight loss to the point his ribs are showing:

http://thisisplanetocean.blogspot.com/2013/10/social-order-at-loro-parque-causing.html

Morgan needs to be removed ASAP and SeaWorld needs to take care of their orcas.

To find out how Loro Parque and SeaWorld are joined at the hip and the horrible lives these orcas are forced into read Blood in the Water (link below). Dawn Brancheau did a rotation at Loro Parque and became friends with Alexis. It's very said that they were both killed by Seaworld orcas within two months of each other.

http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/nature/Blood-in-the-Water-Keto.html

Jon, thanks for sharing all this info. I am just finishing Death at SeaWorld and agree with all you have posted on the cruelty of orca captivity. Now I see that SeaWorld has gone to court appealing the ruling against trainers doing water work with the orcas. I pray that SeaWorld loses this fight....not only for their safety but because it is painful to see such amazing,intelligent and sensitive creatures treated as circus animals and literally worked to their deaths at not only Seaworld but all marine mammal parks. Something's gotta give to end that insanity!

Jon, thanks for sharing all this info. I am just finishing Death at SeaWorld and agree with all you have posted on the cruelty of orca captivity. Now I see that SeaWorld has gone to court appealing the ruling against trainers doing water work with the orcas. I pray that SeaWorld loses this fight....not only for their safety but because it is painful to see such amazing,intelligent and sensitive creatures treated as circus animals and literally worked to their deaths at not only Seaworld but all marine mammal parks. Something's gotta give to end that insanity!

Glad you got to read Death at SeaWorld! I agree, I hope SeaWorld loses the fight with OSHA. I listened to the appeals hearing and although I think trainers should be banned from the water, it sounds like it could go either way. I don't understand all the legal stuff but I wish OSHA attorneys had nailed SeaWorld to the wall regarding Loro Parque (referred to as SeaWorld 2.0 in some circles).

I did a little checking on the SeaWorld trainers on duty at Loro Parque when Alexis was killed and Claudia was attacked. They were Brian Rokeach and Steve Aibel respectively. Shockingly enough (or maybe not) there are two videos of them being attacked at SeaWorld during shows (videos below). Someone cut and blurred the video of Aibel's attack, labelled it as Moment of Dead Dawn then posted it on youtube (over 3 million views so far). :tsktsk:

Rokeach video (orca drags him under right after he dives off his back (right of the screen), trainer pops up on left side of screen):

[video=youtube;hTXE653JPOg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTXE653JPOg[/video]

Aibel video:

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/5530108/ns/us_news/#.Up39FyfjCVE

Most of the orcas at SeaWorld (SW) could never be released into the wild because of the catastrophic dental problems captivity causes. SW personnel drill holes in their teeth which require a lifetime of daily teeth/gum cleaning in order to prevent deadly infection.

Regarding the drilling (an extremely painful process using a tool very similar to a dremel drill):

"Success is measured by blood spilling out of the hole, in which case it's apparent the bore is complete." - Former SeaWorld Trainer

Pictures and more info regarding drilling and dental problems:

http://theorcaproject.wordpress.com...ptivity-oral-health-of-killer-whales-exposed/

As for Keiko, he was not a good candidate for release. Many of the stories/footage in the 12 minute video were scaled down and taken from a documentary called 'A Whale of a Business' available on youtube. Keiko's story is also covered in a book called A Death at SeaWorld by David Kirby.

Keiko is used by many pro-caps to support their agenda. In reality it's not a black/white issue...it's not captivity--vs--dumping them in the scary dark ocean to fend for themselves. There is another option and that is a sea pen. There is a proposal for Lolita's sea pen if you're interested. orcanetwork.org/retirement/html

I'm not if sure you're referring to me with your comments in your post so I'll make my feelings clear.

Breeding should stop now. This horribly cruel experiment has gone on long enough. Animal cruelty in the name of entertainment and profit is not acceptable. The captive orcas should be allowed to live out their remaining years in a sea pen with human assistance. They should be in natural water (not a bunch of chemicals) where they can swim in a straight line. They should be free of blasting music, begging for food, separating mothers from babies, frequent antibiotics, frozen gelatin blocks, tagamet, and being shipped all over the place like furniture...it's disgusting. If at some point in the future (many years) some young healthy orcas can be set free safely, together, that's great. If not, they should be taken care of for life.

It's willful ignorance this day and age for anyone to believe orcas belong in a concrete bowl.

The thanks button was not enough. You nailed it!!

Willie Nelson pulled out of a concert at SeaWorld because he doesn’t “agree with the way they treat their animals.”

Even his own great granddaughter gathered 250 signatures from, “people she knew asking me not to play the venue,” he said.

http://deathatseaworld.com/?p=938

Heart cancelled their show at SeaWorld. This makes three cancellations since Blackfish aired on CNN.:eek:

http://www.heartlinker.nl/?p=7140

On a sad note another orca was born at SeaWorld via AI. It is rumored Kshamenk is the father which makes sense considering SeaWorld's propensity to breed animals that show aggression toward humans (54% of SeaWorld orcas are genetically linked Tilikum).

http://blog.seattlepi.com/candacewh...by-blackfish-born-at-seaworld-aka-baby-shamu/

SeaWorld has been collecting Kshamenk's sperm. I felt sick when I saw his tank and read what happened to him (link below). If everyone who bought a ticket to SeaWorld knew what their money was supporting they would never go again.

https://www.thunderclap.it/projects/7130-save-kshamenk-the-orca

I just saw Blackfish last weekend. WOW! What a powerful documentary.

I just saw Blackfish last weekend. WOW! What a powerful documentary.

I have had the Blackfish Netflix DVD for more than a week and I have been trying to get in the mood to watch it because I am sure it is going to upset me and anger me. The trailer almost did me in. Maybe I should drink some wine while I watch it. I need to send it back to Netflix soon!

I have had the Blackfish Netflix DVD for more than a week and I have been trying to get in the mood to watch it because I am sure it is going to upset me and anger me. The trailer almost did me in. Maybe I should drink some wine while I watch it. I need to send it back to Netflix soon!

No.... don't send it back. It was really good? Eye opening maybe a better word. Don't send it back

Yeah,,,, I had tears.....Have some wine! :cheers:

It took me awhile to work up the courage to watch it. I watched The Cove and thought it was going to be similar. It isn't. It isn't blood, murder and mayhem... it won't lop you off at the knees, I give you my word. Watch it, you won't be sorry you did. My 10 year old, very sensitive daughter, watched most of it with me and handled it well. Let us know what you think!

It took me awhile to work up the courage to watch it. I watched The Cove and thought it was going to be similar. It isn't. It isn't blood, murder and mayhem... it won't lop you off at the knees, I give you my word. Watch it, you won't be sorry you did. My 10 year old, very sensitive daughter, watched most of it with me and handled it well. Let us know what you think!

Thank you Frigga! I watched The Cove also.

Frigga, I just watched The Cove last night.........Jesus wept.........what is wrong with those barbarians in Taiji Japan? They pick out a few choice young dolphins to become slaves for the public's entertainment, and slaughter the rest, selling the meat and mislabeling it as something other than dolphin meat? What kind of godless sub-human could spear "Flipper"??? Not to mention that the levels of mercury found in that area's seafood are off the charts/leading to massive birth defects.................I do despair, I truly do.........

I can not bring myself to watch The Cove. I've thought about it many many times. But I just haven't been able to do it.

Just the pictures on the net (water completely red with blood and dolphin bodies laying all over docks) are enough to keep me up at night.

Sometimes this world makes no sense at all.
Humans can be so monstrous.

I can not bring myself to watch The Cove. I've thought about it many many times. But I just haven't been able to do it.

Just the pictures on the net (water completely red with blood and dolphin bodies laying all over docks) are enough to keep me up at night.

Sometimes this world makes no sense at all.
Humans can be so monstrous.

Nor can I, Kimberly.

(What is going on? At this rate, you and I will be joining hands to sing "*advertiser censored* Ba Ya"!)

Frigga, I just watched The Cove last night.........Jesus wept.........what is wrong with those barbarians in Taiji Japan? They pick out a few choice young dolphins to become slaves for the public's entertainment, and slaughter the rest, selling the meat and mislabeling it as something other than dolphin meat? What kind of godless sub-human could spear "Flipper"??? Not to mention that the levels of mercury found in that area's seafood are off the charts/leading to massive birth defects.................I do despair, I truly do.........

A lot of our attitudes about dolphins have been shaped by FLIPPER, as you mention, and other films and TV shows about dolphins PLUS the numerous aquatic parks in the U.S.

I'm not sure Japanese culture has portrayed dolphins in the same light; the public there may not see them as we do.

Which is why international pressure is so important. The Japanese have a history of sensitivity to being "shamed" by the international community. (Unfortunately, that same tendency may encourage the Japanese to cover up the slaughter rather than to end it.)

Nor can I, Kimberly.

(What is going on? At this rate, you and I will be joining hands to sing "*advertiser censored* Ba Ya"!)

Stranger things have happened. :)

But no worries, I'm sure we will be "strongly disagreeing" soon on one topic or another. That's what makes WS great. But you know I always love having conversations with you. I just have to double up on my blood pressure meds every now and then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back