FL - Derek Rosa, 13, charged as adult in stabbing death of mother Irina Garcia in her sleep, 13 Oct 2023

It wasn't weird, to me. To leave him out of the photo would mean leaving him out of the new family, in his mind. If he was t in it, I would sew more cause. I would do the same, with my son.

Really? His hand on her belly made me uncomfortable. It seemed too intimate imo. A family photo after the baby was born with all 4 would have been more appropriate. Imo.

The only motive I can think of is extreme emotions over no longer being the center of his mom's life. Even though she was married, if step dad was an OTR trucker away most of the time, it still would have been like a family of two until the baby arrived.

Because his baby sibling is inside and it's his mama? If I was pregnant my son would definitely touch my stomach and talk to the baby. And I dont think there are unhealthy boundary issues in my world hahaha
I’m sorry. IMO, it’s inappropriate and very unhealthy parent to child behavior .
So I’ll just disagree and move on. Thanks.

Last edited:
That photo may have been entirely the photographer's idea, and the family was polite and went along with it; we just don't know. JMO.

I'm not sure about the assumption, without evidence, that something was very "wrong" in their household. I think that assumption gets made because people want to believe this kind of thing couldn't happen in their circle.

That photo may have been entirely the photographer's idea, and the family was polite and went along with it; we just don't know. JMO.

I'm not sure about the assumption, without evidence, that something was very "wrong" in their household. I think that assumption gets made because people want to believe this kind of thing couldn't happen in their circle.
I would never allow a photographer to tell me what was right or wrong.
It’s called having a “spine”, aka, being a Mama Bear. That’s what I am, whether it was with my son, or my furbaby.

So no, I would never go along with that. Its still inappropriate. JMO.
<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
The crime is extremely horrific and I would be shocked if it has anything to do with a maternity picture that was taken. Let’s just move past the picture as everyone has different tastes, and sincerely everyone was all over judging Beyoncé even for her maternity pictures as well and she looked super happy in them…

From article linked earlier in thread:

'It's very unfortunate that this tragedy occurred,' said his father, 'but this child is very humble, very peaceful and no one could imagine that this would ever happen.'

Strange quote from father. He doesn't sound too upset about his ex-wife being murdered by his son. Calls his son "very peaceful" in the present tense which is obviously absurd.

I do wonder if someone close to Derek wanted Derek's mom dead and manipulated him to kill his mom. The plan was to pretend an anonymous online "friend" tricked him into doing it, and that's why Derek brought it up in the 911 call.

'It's very unfortunate that this tragedy occurred,' said his father, 'but this child is very humble, very peaceful and no one could imagine that this would ever happen.'

Strange quote from father. He doesn't sound too upset about his ex-wife being murdered by his son. Calls his son "very peaceful" in the present tense which is obviously absurd.

I do wonder if someone close to Derek wanted Derek's mom dead and manipulated him to kill his mom. The plan was to pretend an anonymous online "friend" tricked him into doing it, and that's why Derek brought it up in the 911 call.

I thought calling him 'this child' sounded a bit weird too. Detached.

It'll be interesting to find out more about this case, what mental issues he has if any and who the 'friend' is.

I thought calling him 'this child' sounded a bit weird too. Detached.

It'll be interesting to find out more about this case, what mental issues he has if any and who the 'friend' is.
That sounds more like an ESL way of phrasing things, to me, rather than detachment. Given Derek's surname, his father may speak English as a second language.

MOO

Hhhmmmm, interesting thought!!!

Is it plausible the "friend" tricked him into doing this as a type of "challenge?"
Many teens do value their online "friendships."
I wonder if he was allowed to see his father, who surely asked him what happened and why?

Pondering the motive :
  • Maybe mom found him playing a violent game on his phone and told him to stop, and DR waited and bided his time and took revenge ?
  • He was an obedient teen but inner demons drove him ?
  • Jealous of the newcomer ?
  • Stepdad had to be away too long for work, so it was just DR and his mom ... and resentment over the new man in mom's life, and the new baby was the last straw ?
  • Mom discovered DR had a secret and threatened to have DR leave home and go live with his bio dad and DR was seething ?

How do you go from honors student and outwardly intelligent and obedient to this ?
Were there any red flags ?
What do his teachers and friends say ; or what else do they know about DR ?
What do any relatives have to say, including bio dad ?
This is all heartbreaking.
From outward appearances, they were a close blended family, and no reports of any police visits to the home that I know of and no 911 calls previously.
Did DR have regular visits with bio dad or that side of his family ?
Etc.
Omo.

Pondering the motive :
  • Maybe mom found him playing a violent game on his phone and told him to stop, and DR waited and bided his time and took revenge ?
  • He was an obedient teen but inner demons drove him ?
  • Jealous of the newcomer ?
  • Stepdad had to be away too long for work, so it was just DR and his mom ... and resentment over the new man in mom's life, and the new baby was the last straw ?
  • Mom discovered DR had a secret and threatened to have DR leave home and go live with his bio dad and DR was seething ?

How do you go from honors student and outwardly intelligent and obedient to this ?
Were there any red flags ?
What do his teachers and friends say ; or what else do they know about DR ?
What do any relatives have to say, including bio dad ?
This is all heartbreaking.
From outward appearances, they were a close blended family, and no reports of any police visits to the home that I know of and no 911 calls previously.
Did DR have regular visits with bio dad or that side of his family ?
Etc.
Omo.
I'm wondering what his digital communications looked like. One article I read mentioned that he sent pics to his online friend, but he didn't know his real name, just his online name.

My question is, what was their conversation(s) like before he sent him (or her?) the pics of his dead mother?
Likewise, what was the conversation like after the pics were sent?

I have the feeling the older boy was also feeling the lack of sleep, ECT. That also comes with a newborn. Combine that with a middle school age students daily responsibilities and it was likely all too much.

I wonder if step dad was on the road immediately following the childs birth or had taken some type of paternity leave which is available to more fathers these days.

Another thought, and an additional reason why I think the photo is relevant. Middle school age kids are ruthless. They will seek out a persons weakest spot and use it to bully them. That photo would no doubt be a source of embarrassment to a middle school age kid and a reason for his peers to bully him.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ms.Priss74
Back