FL - Derek Rosa, 13, charged as adult in stabbing death of mother Irina Garcia in her sleep, 13 Oct 2023

While denying the teen's motion for bail, the judge remarked on harsh conditions he has reportedly been kept in, adding: 'I am disturbed by the relatively small amount of time the child is permitted outside his cell.'
Red bolding mine.

While I agree DR shouldn't be free on bail ... I wish the judge wouldn't refer to him as a child.
DR's not 5 years old.
Even if he was 12 or even 10 -- I would not want him living under my roof.
I couldn't close my eyes at night !

Maybe DR's been attacking other inmates or guards when he is allowed out for showering or whatever ?
The people who want leniency (family, defense lawyers, etc.) in any juvie case are usually not the ones who have to house and support them.
Just pointing that out.
Or perhaps if DR receives a light sentence, his family member do want to take him in ?
In that case, be my guest and let us know how it all works out. :rolleyes:
I'd still be fearful.

Stabbing is very up close and personal !!
That poor mother, Irina, must have woken up in a split second of searing pain and horror.
Add to that she may have been conscious long enough to know who was doing this to her.
Omo.

I’m thinking Moms favorite color was pink. I’ve notice you can buy small kitchen appliances in pink now. So pink handled knives would be appealing if that’s the case. I don’t think there’s any correlation between pink and the sons state of mind.

I keep wondering why there was a camera in the master bedroom. At face value, it seems creepy to me. But then again, maybe Mom & Step Dad had concerns for the baby’s well being? Step Dad was a long distance truck driver & gone frequently, if I’m remembering that correctly. Maybe he wanted to be able to check in on them?
While for a second I thought it was odd, I realized the bassinet was in the master bedroom; therefore, when the baby napped, I’m sure momma would want to keep eyes via baby cam on the newborn if she wasn’t napping too.

Or maybe they just had a pink knife set, and he chose the biggest one out of the block or drawer.

Sometimes there isn't a special meaning to everything. It's easy to look for one in a senseless, brutal crime, but he could just have reached into the drawer and grabbed the first one to hand, or chosen it for purely practical reasons, like the way it fit his hand, or the texture of the handle made him think it would be easier to grip when it got slippery.

MOO
They might have all been pink. We may find out at trial if there was a set of pink knives in a butcher block or just one pink one in the knife drawer. I'm very curious, even though I know it may seem like a trivial detail to some.

I find it interesting because of the intense fascination that some young men have for knives and their decoration, color, handles, etc. I've seen it before, in the pictures some adolescents draw, of various knives and weapons. And the collections some have. My son had a knife collection for awhile---although they were not very sharp---they were more decorative.

I don't believe he grabbed any old knife out of the drawer because he googled what kind of knife to use for a stabbing.
So he had put some thought into it. JMO

Many young men have an intense fascination with knives---and I'd think that if they were going to choose one to use for a pre-meditated killing, they'd do so with some care. They could just be concerned with the type of blade of course. I guess we will have to wait and see?

Last edited:
The DM headline reads from a statement to a detective when DR's believed to be in custody, and being recorded. When I read 'I woke up' -- and giving him every benefit of the doubt, I have to wonder if he takes medication to sleep or any other Rx at bedtime. We know he'd been researching how and where to stab but getting out of bed and doing it is another thing! JMO

I woke up, I grabbed one of the kitchen knives and I went to her room.

UPDATED: 18:26 EST, 16 December 2023

Derek Rosa, 13, has pleaded not guilty to stabbing his mom Irina Garcia, 39, over 40 times and slashing her neck on October 12. No motive has been offered over the grisly killing.

However on Friday, a pre-trial hearing saw prosecutors play a recording of Rosa speaking to a detective directly after the stabbing, where he said: 'I woke up, I grabbed one of the kitchen knives and I went to her room... I killed her.'

The DM headline reads from a statement to a detective when DR's believed to be in custody, and being recorded. When I read 'I woke up' -- and giving him every benefit of the doubt, I have to wonder if he takes medication to sleep or any other Rx at bedtime. We know he'd been researching how and where to stab but getting out of bed and doing it is another thing! JMO

I woke up, I grabbed one of the kitchen knives and I went to her room.

UPDATED: 18:26 EST, 16 December 2023

Derek Rosa, 13, has pleaded not guilty to stabbing his mom Irina Garcia, 39, over 40 times and slashing her neck on October 12. No motive has been offered over the grisly killing.

However on Friday, a pre-trial hearing saw prosecutors play a recording of Rosa speaking to a detective directly after the stabbing, where he said: 'I woke up, I grabbed one of the kitchen knives and I went to her room... I killed her.'
40 times stabbed and a slashed neck. To me, that is more than just a murder/suicide wish. Sometimes that is more of a protective mercy killing thing---I'm going to kill myself and I can't bare to put my loved ones through that so I'll take them with me' sort of thing.

But stabbing someone 40 times seems like a lot of repressed anger, imo.

Yup. And listening to the defense grasping at straws on how to make DR appear childlike was tiring. IMO, DR's only upset that he got caught.

I understand why he went for the biggest threat first (mom) but I wonder why he didn't kill the baby as he planned. Perhaps his desire to immediately show his online friend his trophy saved the infant. MOO
His urge to immediately take pictures, flashing hand signs and smirking reminds me very much of someone else who was about his age---that Aidan or Hayden guy, who stabbed the 13 yr old cheerleader at the lakefront---then texted his friends, and streamed funny remarks from the back of the patrol car.

Both of these young teens seem so cold and arrogant after committing brutal senseless stabbings---and yet they want to go online or go public with their horrid deeds for some reason. It is frightening.JMO

The 5:49 hr Evidentiary hearing Thursday

The Florida teen accused of fatally stabbing his mom in her sleep appeared in court Thursday for an evidentiary hearing. Thirteen-year-old Derek Rosa's defense and prosecutors discussed key components of the case, including whether the teen should stay in adult jail while awaiting trial. Rosa's interview with police the night he was arrested was played in court. The teen became visibly upset while reliving that night.

Last edited:
While denying the teen's motion for bail, the judge remarked on harsh conditions he has reportedly been kept in, adding: 'I am disturbed by the relatively small amount of time the child is permitted outside his cell.'
Red bolding mine.

While I agree DR shouldn't be free on bail ... I wish the judge wouldn't refer to him as a child.
DR's not 5 years old.
Even if he was 12 or even 10 -- I would not want him living under my roof.
I couldn't close my eyes at night !

Maybe DR's been attacking other inmates or guards when he is allowed out for showering or whatever ?
The people who want leniency (family, defense lawyers, etc.) in any juvie case are usually not the ones who have to house and support them.
Just pointing that out.
Or perhaps if DR receives a light sentence, his family member do want to take him in ?
In that case, be my guest and let us know how it all works out. :rolleyes:
I'd still be fearful.

Stabbing is very up close and personal !!
That poor mother, Irina, must have woken up in a split second of searing pain and horror.
Add to that she may have been conscious long enough to know who was doing this to her.
Omo.
Whether you like it or not, however you feel about what he's done and what he's charged with, in the eyes of society and the law he IS a child. Does that mean he isn't responsible? Of course not, he's not a toddler. He understands that stabbing someone will cause their death, and understands what death means. But he isn't an adult with an adult's life experience, development, and comprehension, either. Children have killed throughout history, and the confusion about the seriousness of what they've done despite their age and how to handle it persists. There are no easy answers. We see that here, we see it in the case of the six year old who shot his teacher, the twelve year old who stabbed her brother, the five year old who killed his twin, the fifteen year olds who are on trial right now in the UK. The only one who seems to have had no idea of the gravity of the situation they're involved in is the five year old, and it's being treated, as far as I can tell, as a horrible accident. How do we treat the rest? Some are above the age of the criminal responsibility, some are not. Some have suspected mental health or developmental conditions, others don't seem to. All anyone can do is assess each case and person individually.

MOO

Last edited:
OMG
What a tragedy! o_O

I guess a good psychiatrist is needed here :(
And the boy's calm demeanour is puzzling/worrying IMO

But the fact that this slaughter happened 2 weeks after a baby arrived is telling.

RIP to poor Mum :(
Condolences to family.

JMO

Whether you like it or not, however you feel about what he's done and what he's charged with, in the eyes of society and the law he IS a child. Does that mean he isn't responsible? Of course not, he's not a toddler. He understands that stabbing someone will cause their death, and understands what death means. But he isn't an adult with an adult's life experience, development, and comprehension, either. Children have killed throughout history, and the confusion about the seriousness of what they've done despite their age and how to handle it persists. There are no easy answers. We see that here, we see it in the case of the six year old who shot his teacher, the twelve year old who stabbed her brother, the five year old who killed his twin, the fifteen year olds who are on trial right now in the UK. The only one who seems to have had no idea of the gravity of the situation they're involved in is the five year old, and it's being treated, as far as I can tell, as a horrible accident. How do we treat the rest? Some are above the age of the criminal responsibility, some are not. Some have suspected mental health or developmental conditions, others don't seem to. All anyone can do is assess each case and person individually.

MOO
He is a minor.
So I'm saying he is not a child as in a five year old, which as you explained in the case of a five year old is being treated as an accident.
It doesn't matter if I 'like' it or not, it's up to the justice system now.

Stabbing someone forty times indicates a young teen who is possibly irretrievably broken.
And no, I still wouldn't trust even a thirteen year old to be treated for mental health issues and released in say a few years or less, who had committed this brutal murder.
No way.
Never.
I don't know at this point if anyone is safe around him, certainly not other teens who have committed crimes but not of this magnitude.
Ymmv.
Omo.

Rosa, with his hands covered in blood, is seen making a 'hang loose' surfer gesture of friendship. The photo is believed to be the one he sent to his friend, with the word: 'Goodbye'. He then called 911 to allegedly say he had murdered his mother.
Officers have detailed finding a grisly scene when they arrived at the home, with Garcia left splayed on the floor with dozens of knife wounds, including a slashed artery in her neck.

"Splayed" on the floor ..." my god.
Without the details completely released yet, I wonder if she woke up and tried to defend herself ?

Graphic :

And in the struggle, fell to the floor ?
Did Derek hover over her, slashing over and over ?
If the baby monitor camera had sound, did he shout something at her ?
Did she have defense wounds on the underside of her forearms, as in holding her arms to her face ?
I noticed no blood spatter on DR's face in the selfie, wonder if he took time to clean his face but forgot his hands.

Also from the above link :

Guards also testified that he is the only child in Metro West who has a security detail outside his cell at all times, and he is heavily protected anytime he does leave.
My opinion : DR is not in 'unsustainable' conditions.
He is more protected than his mother ever was.
And I think he is right where he should be, as he could murder another juvenile if left with them as the conditions are less secure in juvvie; imo.
Omo.

Rosa, with his hands covered in blood, is seen making a 'hang loose' surfer gesture of friendship. The photo is believed to be the one he sent to his friend, with the word: 'Goodbye'. He then called 911 to allegedly say he had murdered his mother.
Officers have detailed finding a grisly scene when they arrived at the home, with Garcia left splayed on the floor with dozens of knife wounds, including a slashed artery in her neck.

"Splayed" on the floor ..." my god.
Without the details completely released yet, I wonder if she woke up and tried to defend herself ?

Graphic :

And in the struggle, fell to the floor ?
Did Derek hover over her, slashing over and over ?
If the baby monitor camera had sound, did he shout something at her ?
Did she have defense wounds on the underside of her forearms, as in holding her arms to her face ?
I noticed no blood spatter on DR's face in the selfie, wonder if he took time to clean his face but forgot his hands.

Also from the above link :

Guards also testified that he is the only child in Metro West who has a security detail outside his cell at all times, and he is heavily protected anytime he does leave.
My opinion : DR is not in 'unsustainable' conditions.
He is more protected than his mother ever was.
And I think he is right where he should be, as he could murder another juvenile if left with them as the conditions are less secure in juvvie; imo.
Omo.
Re your last 2 posts my thoughts are keep him locked up, charge and sentence as an adult, then throw away the key jmo

Re your last 2 posts my thoughts are keep him locked up, charge and sentence as an adult, then throw away the key jmo
Bbm.
Agreed.
If he can do this to his own mother and post a selfie... he can to it to anyone !
There are some crimes that cannot be rehabilitated, and this may be one of them.
That poor mother ! :(
Omo.

Derek Rosa, 13, confesses to killing mother in interrogation video played in court​

Dec 15, 2023
Thirteen-year-old Derek Rosa was heard confessing to fatally stabbing his mother at their Hialeah apartment in an interrogation video played in court Thursday, detectives said.
I wonder what the curse word In Spanish was that he said to his mother. I can’t even imagine the horror she felt in her last moments .

Side note, IMO… DR looks like he‘s closer to 20 y/o than 13. If his defense attorney wants to emphasize that he’s just a child, maybe make sure he loses the facial hair.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EnvyofAngels
Back