FL FL - Detra McGuire, 23, Lake City, 2 Nov 1988

JasonFutchLakeCityFL

Former Member
Reaction score
img_23102.jpeg

Detra Renvictoria McGuire was last seen on November 2nd, 1988 leaving her residence to go to the grocery store with her child, 2-year-old Roshanda McGuire. Both went missing until later in the evening, when the body of Roshanda was found somewhere between US Hwys. 41 and 441. Detra has been missing since and is considered to be in danger. Detra was driving a 1988 Nissan Sentra at the time of her disappearance; which was found at the Ellisville Truck Stop in Ellisville with her contents untouched.

The following information is from her NamUs profile (https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/13094/21)

Name: Detra Renvictoria McGuire
Missing: Nov. 2, 1988
Age Missing: 23 Years Old (52 Years Old as of 11/9/17)
Race/Sex: African American Female
Hair: Black Shoulder-length
Eye Color: Brown
Scars/Marks: Mole on the left side of her neck
Clothing: Blue Jeans w/ Stripe and Grey Shirt and pink bedroom slippers
DENTAL AND DNA AVAILABLE
NO FINGERPRINT INFO AVAILABLE
Agency Contact: Lt. Joe Lucas, Columbia County Sheriffs Office--386-758-1356
CASE #: Columbia County 881103124

NOTE: I am currently awaiting a police report for this case, so there may be some updates to this as soon as the report comes to me.

What stands out me that a truck driver found the child and the car was later found at a truck stop. Makes me think of Keith Hunter Jesperson, the happy face killer. She may have had to pull over on the side of the highway and approached by a truck driver offering to help. So sad.

On Wednesday (11/15), I recieved an email from the Columbia County Sheriffs Office, and was supplied with several documents in regards to this missing persons case. This case is a bit more complex and heartbreaking than most readers and myself originally thought. When the death of a child, especially a two year old occurs, its always a sad thing; but when you read on, it gets more upsetting.
I requested to reach out to Detra's family earlier this week for a series that I am planning to do on YouTube next year and they declined my request. After almost 30 years with no answer about Detra's whereabouts or who killed her child, they still suffer from the heartbreak and its a very sensitive subject still to this day. I was able to talk to some of her classmates, and they tell me about her. Here is the story that you will find ONLY on Websleuths:

Detra Renvictoria McGuire was a student at Columbia High School, Class of 1983; the same class that Kimberly Diane Leach was supposed to graduate before her brutal murder by Ted Bundy in the late 1970s. Asccording to her fellow classmates, she was a very nice girl that never caused trouble and for the most part kept to herself. From the perspective of her class, she was going places. Tammy Crews, one of her classmates, said that she was always caring and always kind and was surprised by what happened to her in 1988.

November 2nd, 1988. By this time, Detra was beyond finished with high school. Also between graduating high school and her disappearance, she had two children and a boyfriend by the name Elara Murphy. They were living at the Gatorwood Apartments off Huntsboro Street Rt. 13 in Lake City, along with her parents Haywood and Nora Ann. Detra resided in Apartment 63B and her parents lived in Apartment 68. Around 7:00PM on the 2nd, Detra took her child, 2-year-old Roshanda McGuire and went into town using Elara's 1988 2-door Nissan Sentra; which was black in color. After not coming home the next day, Detra's parents were notified by Elara that Detra and her child had not returned home and had used his car to go into town. Detra's parents responded by contacting the Sheriffs Office to file a missing persons report.

Around 9:07 PM on the 2nd, a passerby on the Westbound lane of Interstate 10 (Mile Post 303) saw the body of a girl lying in the middle of traffic. She was taken to the side of the road and authorities were contacted. The child was rushed to Lake Shore Hospital by EMTs. Sgt. James Wells arrived at the hospital to observe the situation: A little girl with road rash, bruising, abrasions and scratches was lying on a hospital bed lifeless. He estimated the child to be about two years old, black and wearing only a pink sweater and diaper. She was taken care of and had no signs of child abuse. At 10:30PM, the child was declared dead and the Medical Examiners Office was contacted. Sgt. Wells took several photos of the child and had Combs Funeral Home (Lake City, FL) take her body to the Medical Examiners Office in Jacksonville, FL.
The next day, as the autopsy of the child was underway, Sgt. Wells and Roger Lizotte of the Florida Dept. of Children and Families (then HRS) went to different nurseries and daycares to see if the child could be identified. This did not work out like they had hoped.
About mid-afternoon on the 3rd, Dr. Jan Garavaglia (also known as Dr. G from Dr. G, Medical Examiner) contacted Sgt. Wells and talked about the findings. The child had no signs of child abuse or old broken bones. The official cause of death was separation of the spinal cord and a broken neck. No injuries were found on the lower portion of the body; most of the injuries were upper body. Sgt. Wells also advised Dr. G that they had no idea how she ended up on the road or who put her there; but it was obvious she had been thrown out based on her injuries.

Shortly after his call from Dr. G, Det. Andy Holland of the CCSO notified Sgt. Wells that a missing persons report was filed at the Gatorwood Apartments and that a mother and her child were missing and that a possible auto theft may have occured. As soon as the call came in, Sgt Wells and Det. Holland reported to the apartments and met with Nora Ann and Haywood McGuire, who lived in Apt. 86. They had reported that their child Detra had been missing and she had taken her 2-year-old child with her. When they were told this, Det. Wells showed them the picture of the child and they were devestated: the child was 2-year-old Roshanda McGuire. A positive ID was made and confirmed after showing the child's photo to Elara Murphy, her boyfriend that lived with Detra and her children.
They were not aware of where Detra was going, nor did they know what she was doing. However, the fact remained that Detra was still missing and so was the Nissan Sentra. The family told investigators that Detra was last seen wearing a pair of jeans (possibly grey or pinstriped) and possibly pink bedroom slippers. Investigators treated Detra's case as missing with foul play suspected considering her child was found dead. Elara reported

At some point after the identity of the child and the report of the car being stolen, the vehicle turned up at the Ellisville Truck Stop in Ellisville, FL (Southern Columbia County). The car still had everything in it that belonged to both Detra and Elara. Currently, no other information was provided about the car other than that.

Thanks to the cooperation with the CCSO, they have notified me that there was some recent activity on Detra's case and something has happened to bar other documents from being released; however this is enough information to get out to the public due to poor coverage and information online of this case.

If you have any information on this case, call the Columbia County Sheriffs Office at 386-752-9212. What is everyone's thoughts on this?

So I guess whoever kidnapped Detra McGuire, only wanted her and not her baby hence throwing her off the road. Possible Human traffic?

So I guess whoever kidnapped Detra McGuire, only wanted her and not her baby hence throwing her off the road. Possible Human traffic?

Possibly. You know, I actually came across a name this week and it fits the description of someone who would do this. I will write about this at a later time. I already reported to CCSO on this and they are looking into it.

Human Trafficking is possible but I think she was probably met with definite foul play in this situation especially if her boyfriend’s car was found days later.

Probably was used for awhile and later killed, it's the only theory that makes sense on to why the child was discarded and Detra wasn't

Probably was used for awhile and later killed, it's the only theory that makes sense on to why the child was discarded and Detra wasn't
I agree, but "a while might've only been fifteen minutes or half an hour.

You would think someone would have seen the child being tossed out. Mind you, 9:07pm in November it is plenty dark out- but 'in the middle of traffic' on the interstate gives me pause.

UPDATE: NAMUS SUBMISSIONS HAVE BEEN MADE

I sent some fresh NamUs leads to Carrie Sutherland with NamUs and Capt. Katina Dicks at CCSO yesterday. Capt. Dicks has been super busy with the Caitlyn Frisina Case but Ms. Sutherland got back to me and has said she will run the leads.

So far I have matched up Detra McGuire with the following Jane Does:

NAMUS UP #13266- Human Cranium found in Columbia County 11/1/2001
UP #758- Human Cranium Found in Duval County 04/10/1993
UP# 7558- Human Skull with missing mandible 08/14/1999
UP #860- Human Skeletal Remains Found in Burning House 12/10/1989

I have highlighted # 860 because of the submissions, that lead looks very promising. I will let everyone know when I hear something.

So far for NAMUS UP #860, these are the following exclusions. Detra has not made the list; but am hopeful that we will find something out soon about this. NAMUS and Columbia County Sheriffs Office has now confirmed they have received my tips and will be following them up.

Mabel Andrews 1959 Florida
Carolyn Brown 1957 Florida
Hattie Burton 1968 Florida
Diane Hollins 1947 Florida
Margie Phillips 1944 Florida
DEBRA TOWNSEL 1959 Florida
Brenda Williams 1955 Florida

Hey Folks,

It was brought up to my attention recently that Detra McGuire currently does not have a Age Progression image out. The Columbia County Sheriffs Office has not put any effort into getting this done and would like to see if we have any talented artists at Websleuths who may be interested to take on this task Pro Bono. I can always submit the recon to CCSO and give complete credit to the artist who renders the AP.

If anyone can help with this, please respond to this post or private message me.

Jason

Hey Jason- I was in Lake City this week! Drove that stretch of interstate. Thought about this case.

Hey Jason- I was in Lake City this week! Drove that stretch of interstate. Thought about this case.

Oh yeah....every time I drive or ride I-10, I can't help but think of this case and others I've looked into that have happened in that corridor. Detra, Freddy Laster, Linda Raulerson, etc. It's slowly becoming the Bermuda Triangle for both missing people and criminals.

At this time, I'd like to go ahead and upload all of the documents that CCSO have provided me with in reference to this case. I want to thank Larry Auger and Capt. Dicks for helping me out on the resources for this case. Some of these documents may not be legible as these are much older documents that were apparently xeroxed into the computer system.

View attachment Missing Person Complaint Elara Murphy .pdf
View attachment Offense Incident Auto Theft Report 11-03-88.pdf
View attachment Offense Incident Death Report 11-02-88.pdf
View attachment Supplemental Investigation 11-04-88.pdf
View attachment Supplemental Investigation Report 11-04-1988.pdf

I just read about this case and saw a photo of her daughter in the hospital shortly before she died. Based on what I read here I'm surpised this case didn't get more coverage then it got. Good that you Jason are doing and tremendous job here in giving it pubblicity. They deserve justice.

There was a suspect/person of interest right? what kind of relation did he/she have to the Detra McGuire?

UPDATE: NAMUS SUBMISSIONS HAVE BEEN MADE

I sent some fresh NamUs leads to Carrie Sutherland with NamUs and Capt. Katina Dicks at CCSO yesterday. Capt. Dicks has been super busy with the Caitlyn Frisina Case but Ms. Sutherland got back to me and has said she will run the leads.

So far I have matched up Detra McGuire with the following Jane Does:

NAMUS UP #13266- Human Cranium found in Columbia County 11/1/2001
UP #758- Human Cranium Found in Duval County 04/10/1993
UP# 7558- Human Skull with missing mandible 08/14/1999
UP #860- Human Skeletal Remains Found in Burning House 12/10/1989

I have highlighted # 860 because of the submissions, that lead looks very promising. I will let everyone know when I hear something.

Any news about these jane does?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back