Found Deceased FL - Father Rene Robert, 71, St Augustine, 10 April 2016 *Arrest*

This case makes me so sad. I hope this guy gets put away for life (at least).

I read one local article this evening that indicated they had a ping in the Baldwin area, but I can't find the link now. I wonder it he'd stopped in western Jax to see his father? His dad was arrested Wednesday on an unrelated charge at a hotel off I-10 just east of 295 where the father lived (http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/...est-father-suspect-missing-priest-case-charge), and that the POI had listed as his residence.

Also the news articles I read indicated that on Tuesday (4/12), the POI eluded police while driving Robert's car, shaking them in a construction zone near I-95 and JTB (Florida SR 202).
Thanks JaxFlaGirl. The only info I could find from Jax4news is "“Law enforcement is determining where to search based on the information that they received from Murray,” News4Jax crime and safety analyst Gil Smith said." And I would never believe Murray. Also the article I linked says he was found in North Carolina, so sloppy reporting. I checked and there is no Aiken, North Carolina per google. (I wondered which reporter(s), the SC or NC reporters, were accurate.
http://www.news4jax.com/news/jso-operation-on-the-westisde-connected-to-father-renes-disappearnce

Looking at a map, he could have gotten onto J Turner Butler Blvd and then to 295 or even to A1A. I wonder why I-10, because it loops back south into Jax where he knows he's being hunted, except that he may have stopped to hide at his father's residence which LE would easily find. And this would have kept him in the area longer where he knew that LE was looking for him. I wonder if he actually jumped onto A1A or back onto I95 off of 295. Sorry for the rambling... :thinking:

But the ping you mentioned would definitely put him in the Baldwin area. I hope Father Rene is found soon.

St. Johns County Sheriff David Shoar live conference at 10:30. The father was "a dear friend" of the Sheriff, who said, with/to the family "we haven't lost Father Rene. We know right where he's at." and called him an angel.

Told the reporters as he thanked the media regarding their speed to get desired information out: "I think social media probably beat you once and you beat them all the rest of the times"

[emoji20]RIP Father Rene Robert

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Notes during the presser: Murray told them where the body was. Sheriff said (in response to a question": I think he's a socio... well I shouldn't say that." He will be charged in GA, Shoar thinks for murder. Killed between 8 and 11 AM Sunday evening (4/11, the day he was last seen). Sheriff said murder in GA though (Augusta GA area - Burke County south of GA, per the follow-up newscast). Went back and forth from South Carolina and did crimes in SC in the process (Aiken mentioned specifically, at least twice, driving Father Rene's vehicle around Sunday). No effort to hide the body, it was "obvious he was the victim of homicidal violence". No cause of death will be reported at this time. Yes Murray is the suspect and yes he will be charged, but more work to go in the case. Strong case. Father Rene's ministry was a focus on people getting out of jail, and this was a career criminal.

The family talked. Sister: my brother died doing what he loved; helping people. Thanked the agencies for their work, without which they wouldn't have found him and been able to be taking him home. Brother thanked the suspect for coming forward and telling where he was, but brother can't forgive him. Says his brother may, but he can't.

This was streamed live on actionnewsjax.com, so may be posted there soon too.

Unfortunately the outcome I was expecting, but hoping against everything wasn't true.

From everything I've read, the church, and more importantly the world lost a truly great man. I'm feeling very sad and very angry at the same time. It's hard to embrace the forgiveness that I'm sure Father Robert is hoping to see as he looks down from Heaven. Rest in peace sir.

I worked all day today and am just now able to catch up here. I'm so very sad to hear of Father Rene's murder. Father Rene seemed to be a great man from what I've read. Rest in paradise Father Rene. Thank you for making the world a better place. You're home now. :rose:

:rose: RIP Father Rene :rose:

So very sad a gentle man had to die such a violent death. He is now with all the angels and saints, resting in the mercy of our Lord. I will say a rosary for the repose of his soul.

The investigation involves a lot of jurisdictions. I am thankful that Murray did lead them to Father Rene's body. I'm relieved at least the family will have that closure. The amount of possible locations to search between St Augustine FL and Aiken, SC was huge.
A good detailed article here (may have to fill in a survey to view the news article)
http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/...priests-death-faces-multiple-charges-separate

the way Robert died and the method used to kill him led investigators to say the priest was killed in Georgia.
The investigation now involves jurisdictions in three states and four counties, along with the Georgia Bureau of Investigation.
In Aiken County, S.C., where he was apprehended, Murray is facing charges of possession of a firearm by a violent felon and receiving stolen goods less than $10,000 from a burglary, authorities told The Augusta Chronicle.
Across the state line in Georgia, Coursey said Burke County investigators have been following the case since it began in St. Augustine more than a week ago. He said he received a telephone call Monday from the Georgia Bureau of Investigation saying that Florida authorities were going to be in his county after Murray had told them he was willing to show them the location of the body.
“He went down several roads, then it wasn’t long before he recognized a road and took them straight to the body,” Coursey said. “ ... He said he had relatives in that area.”
He said it was about a half-mile into the woods and not near any homes. It was about a mile from Georgia 56.

And I sincerely hope Murray's children are protected from him.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redhairdontcare
Back