FL - Former President Donald Trump indicted, 40 counts to classified documents and obstruction of justice, June 2023, Trial May 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.
The most amazing thing to me in the responses to this series of indictments (beyond the whataboutism which seems standard) is that we have elected officials (in any party) who look at issues that deal with national security and rule of law and immediately call it political. These documents have no business in any residence. This man was asked for return of these documents and hid them beyond the first request. This man spoke of military ---MILITARY--- documents and shared their contents with a writer because he had feelings about a military commander. Twenty years ago, an overwhelming majority of both parties would be on the side of holding a person who did this accountable. Country above party? Nah. State secrets get to be determined by individuals? Yeah. I can't figure out why anyone would say this is okay. I can't figure out why politicians are minimizing this. Boggles the mind.
BBM. They are minimizing it because they are incapable of independent thought. If Trump poured them glasses of Koolaid, they would drink it with no questions asked. It is a stunning display of arrogance not only on the part of Trump but also his minions of cult followers who have ignored his clearly illegal behavior for no other reason than they want to line their own pockets. They don't care about their constituents.

Lining a stage with stacked boxes filled with confidential documents, spilling boxes with paper scattered across the floor and, even more ridiculous, is to stack boxes of said documents around a toilet, hide them, lie about them and then claim they did nothing wrong, is beyond laughably absurd.

JMO

Not to mention anyone who excuses themselves from a social event to use the facilities and read classified documents. I'm sure it wasn't a secret that there were important documents on the property. JMO

You just answered what I didn’t understand—why not put the boxes in storage? Why in a bathroom that is accessible to guests and is obviously being used as a bathroom? (Or appears to be.)

Deniability. They put the boxes of documents in there fully aware of their contents. A person could then ‘use the bathroom’ (access the documents in private under false pretences), and DT would be able to claim ignorance of what they did while in that room, imo. (Speculation)

You just answered what I didn’t understand—why not put the boxes in storage? Why in a bathroom that is accessible to guests and is obviously being used as a bathroom? (Or appears to be.)

Deniability. They put the boxes of documents in there fully aware of their contents. A person could then ‘use the bathroom’ (access the documents in private under false pretences), and DT would be able to claim ignorance of what they did while in that room, imo. (Speculation)
Or, they put the boxes in the bathroom for the past two years to remind everyone who enters that Trump views himself as a King with no consequences for his arrogant actions.

JMO

After leaving the White House, Mr Trump’s private club at Palm Beach became his main residence.

It also became a “magnet” for foreign spies, former intelligence officials warned.

In August 2022, a Ukrainian woman posing as a member of the Rothschild family gained access to the club, according to reports.

Inna Yashchyshyn mingled at Mar-a-Lago functions with Mr Trump and South Carolina senator Lindsey Graham, according to an article from the Organized Crime & Corruption Reporting Project (OCCRP).

During Mr Trump’s presidency, a suspected Chinese spy was arrested and sentenced to eight months prison after being found guilty of trespassing and lying to Secret Service agents about why she was at the property.

Mr Trump also welcomed Kanye West and known white supremacist Nick Fuentes to the club.

Yesterday I was thinking that Americans deserve better and he risked the security of the US for power and money. (imo)

Then I saw that some of the folders on the floor contained security documents from Canada, UK, Australia & New Zealand. We’re your closest ally and he also possibly exposed us to risk.

Honestly, I think the Five Eyes should regroup to the Four Eyes and cut US out completely, until we can get control of ourselves. Maybe that would help the hypocrites in Congress take things a little more seriously.

After leaving the White House, Mr Trump’s private club at Palm Beach became his main residence.

It also became a “magnet” for foreign spies, former intelligence officials warned.

In August 2022, a Ukrainian woman posing as a member of the Rothschild family gained access to the club, according to reports.

Inna Yashchyshyn mingled at Mar-a-Lago functions with Mr Trump and South Carolina senator Lindsey Graham, according to an article from the Organized Crime & Corruption Reporting Project (OCCRP).

During Mr Trump’s presidency, a suspected Chinese spy was arrested and sentenced to eight months prison after being found guilty of trespassing and lying to Secret Service agents about why she was at the property.

Mr Trump also welcomed Kanye West and known white supremacist Nick Fuentes to the club.
omg! The realization I’m having of what he set up at Mar-a-Largo and why he did it.

He’s really going to end up in jail. It’s not just political rhetoric. It’s no exaggeration. Their family pulled in billions during the presidency and I couldn’t understand why or how until today.

omg! The realization I’m having of what he set up at Mar-a-Largo and why he did it.

He’s really going to end up in jail. It’s not just political rhetoric. It’s no exaggeration. Their family pulled in billions during the presidency and I couldn’t understand why or how until today.

We do have to "watch" the possible shenanigans of the judge, Aileen Cannon. If she doesn't recuse, she will instill major delays....

Honestly, the pains of what tRump did in four years.... will live with us forever.

The unsealed indictment details a conversation Mr Trump held with two lawyers, listed as Trump Attorney 1 and Trump Attorney 2, on 23 May 2022.

The lawyers informed Mr Trump he would have to comply with a Department of Justice subpoena to turn over any classified materials to the National Archive.

“I don’t want anyone looking through my boxes, I really don’t, I don’t want you looking through my boxes,” Mr Trump said, according to the indictment.

Mr Trump later asked: “Well, what happens if we just don’t respond at all or don’t play ball with them?”

___

In a subsequent conversation, “memorialised” by Attorney 1, Mr Trump praised Ms Clinton’s lawyers for deleting the emails.

“He was great, he did a great job,” Mr Trump allegedly said.

“He said that it... was him. That he was the one who deleted all of her emails, the 30,000 emails because they basically dealt with her scheduling and her going to the gym and her having beauty appointments.

“So she didn’t get in any trouble because he said that he was the one who deleted him.”

The identity of the attorney who supposedly deleted Ms Clinton’s emails was redacted. Trump Attorney 1, who was apparently recording the conversation, was said to be Evan Corcoran, according to CNN.

I guess he didn’t READ THE INDICTMENT:

DeSantis denounced Trump’s indictment by alluding to the 2016 scandal involving Hillary Clinton’s use of her personal email server during her tenure as secretary of state.

“When I was in Congress, Hillary had the emails with the classified [information], and my view was, ‘Gee, you know, as a naval officer, if I would’ve taken classified [documents] to my apartment, I would’ve been court martialed in a New York minute,'” he said, “and yet, they seem to not care about that, and is there a different standard for a Democrat secretary of state versus a former Republican president? I think there needs to be one standard of justice in this country. Let’s enforce it on everybody and make sure we all know the rules.”

The FBI concluded there was no evidence of criminality in its review of Clinton’s emails.

Annotated indictment. Note quoted below regarding storage in the bathroom and the bathroom photo…in the interests of fairness, it is noted that the indictment does not document any instances of harm that came from improperly stored documents. I might add that such harm might not become evident for years, if ever. But that does not in any way justify or make this careless storage OK…

Put them in the bathroom. Employees discussed where to keep the boxes after they needed more office space. They settled on keeping the boxes in a bathroom and shower.

The indictment does not say whether the bathroom was unused during the period when the documents were kept there. The trash can with a trash bag, as seen in the photo below, suggests it was in fact in use.

Like a game of Clue. The various locations where Trump allegedly stored classified documents read like a Mar-a-Lago-specific game of Clue: “in a ballroom, a bathroom and shower, an office space, his bedroom, and a storage room.”

Tens of thousands of people could have had access, according to the indictment.

However, and this is worth noting, the indictment does not document any harm that came as a result of the improperly stored material.

In April 2021, Mr. Trump’s employees moved dozens of boxes from an area at Mar-a-Lago referred to in the indictment as the business center to a bathroom in what is known as theLake Room.

“There is still a little room in the shower where his other stuff is,” one employee texted another, according to the indictment.

1686420303514.jpeg

In May 2021, according to the indictment, Mr. Trump directed his employees to clear space in a storage room to keep the boxes of documents he took from the White House. In June, boxes stored in the Lake Room were moved into the storage room, bringing the total number of boxes in that room to more than 80.

The hallway leading to the storage room was connected to a pool patio, where Mar-a-Lago club members had access, via “a doorway that was often kept open,” prosecutors said.

In December 2021, Walt Nauta, a personal aide who was indicted along with Mr. Trump, texted one of Mr. Trump’s employees a photograph of documents, including at least one bearing a classification marking, spilled onto the floor of the storage room. “Oh no oh no,” the employee replied.

For about two months, between January and March 2021, some documents were stored on a stage in the White and Gold Ballroom — a lavish event space rented out for weddings and private events — before being reshuffled to the business center and storage room.

In November 2021, Mr. Trump ordered that some boxes be brought from the storage room up to his residence for him to review. Some of these were kept in Pine Hall, an entry room to the Trump family suite.

When F.B.I. officials searched Mar-a-Lago in August 2022, they found 27 classified documents in Mr. Trump’s office, including six with the highest level of classification.

Trump also took boxes of documents to his golf club in Bedminster, N.J., according to the indictment. It was there that Mr. Trump was recorded saying he knew he had a classified document.

Honestly, I don't think it's any more complex than the fact that he's burdened with an serious sociopathic personality order that trumps common sense, restraint and good judgement.
(excuse the pun)

Personality wise, he's not cut out for the espionage life.
He's attention-seeking, flashy, loud, crude and desperate to remain hi-profile.
He's anxious, angry, mendacious, paranoid, disruptive, explosive, distractable.
He craves headlines and reactions - good or bad.
He needs the spotlight like the rest of us need air.
He's projects his own bad behavior in advance.
He is untrustworthy - clearly not going to keep your confidence, your state secret, your crimes, or anyone else's to himself.

Here's my theory: I think a stunned, hurt, narcisisstic-raging lame duck forgot to pack his piles of papers strewn throughout the WH and residence - b/c he was very busy raging and gaslighting and deluding and insurrecting w/ Rudi and the gang.

More likely, in last minute moving chaos, he ordered WH staff to box "his papers" strewn around the white house - orders to "just pack it all and bring it to MAL". (See Melania's texts - she's annoyed with his paper boxes - in the indictment - she knew they weren't personal papers that needed to get to MAL.)

Perhaps he thought he'd have time at MAL to (pick one or two): read and cull, lick wounds, boast, reminisce, refresh his memory for a book he'd write, finish reading things he'd set aside, plan his presidential library (ha ha ha ha okay, just kidding). Perhaps he was sure in the boxes somewhere were docs he could use for insurance/protection/revenge/blackmail/threats - ya never know - against friends or enemies, for congress or the courts.

When he was asked/told/ordered to return these papers b/c they were NOT his ... well. What ensued is just classic narcissistic entitlement disease. They. Are. Mine. How. Dare. You. My. Presidency. Has. Not. Ended.

So ... did he select or intend that these docs for his next grift a.k.a. espionage-for-retirement-dollars? IMO - Nah.
He already had a great grift going - the re-election campaign grift.
He's far too lazy to start anew.
He's far too loud to spy.

(I don't mean to minimize the real risks and endangerment of his sociopathic behavior, poor judgement, willingness to share state secrets for self-aggrandizement or keeping blackmail handy. But, I imagine the Feds investigated/eliminated the spy-for-$$$ theory prior to charging.)

JMHO

Last edited:

Annotated indictment. Note quoted below regarding storage in the bathroom and the bathroom photo…in the interests of fairness, it is noted that the indictment does not document any instances of harm that came from improperly stored documents. I might add that such harm might not become evident for years, if ever. But that does not in any way justify or make this careless storage OK…

Put them in the bathroom. Employees discussed where to keep the boxes after they needed more office space. They settled on keeping the boxes in a bathroom and shower.

The indictment does not say whether the bathroom was unused during the period when the documents were kept there. The trash can with a trash bag, as seen in the photo below, suggests it was in fact in use.

Like a game of Clue. The various locations where Trump allegedly stored classified documents read like a Mar-a-Lago-specific game of Clue: “in a ballroom, a bathroom and shower, an office space, his bedroom, and a storage room.”

Tens of thousands of people could have had access, according to the indictment.

However, and this is worth noting, the indictment does not document any harm that came as a result of the improperly stored material.
I imagine that harm may well have occurred as a result of the improperly stored material and, even more likely, as a result of Trump sharing classified documents with people who should not have seen them. Perhaps evidence of the harm done will come out during the trial.

Honestly, I don't think it's any more complex than the fact that he's burdened with an serious sociopathic personality order that trumps common sense, restraint and good judgement.
(excuse the pun)

Personality wise, he's not cut out for the espionage life.
He's attention-seeking, flashy, loud, crude and desperate to remain hi-profile.
He's anxious, angry, mendacious, paranoid, disruptive, explosive, distractable.
He craves headlines and reactions - good or bad.
He needs the spotlight like the rest of us need air.
He's projects his own bad behavior in advance.
He is untrustworthy - clearly not going to keep your confidence, your state secret, your crimes, or anyone else's to himself.

Here's my theory: I think a stunned, hurt, narcisisstic-raging lame duck forgot to pack his piles of papers strewn throughout the WH and residence - b/c he was very busy raging and gaslighting and deluding and insurrecting w/ Rudi and the gang.

More likely, in last minute moving chaos, he ordered WH staff to box "his papers" strewn around the white house - orders to "just pack it all and bring it to MAL". (See Melania's texts - she's annoyed with his paper boxes - in the indictment - she knew they weren't personal papers that needed to get to MAL.)

Perhaps he thought he'd have time at MAL to (pick one or two): read and cull, lick wounds, boast, reminisce, refresh his memory for a book he'd write, finish reading things he'd set aside, plan his presidential library (ha ha ha ha okay, just kidding). Perhaps he was sure in the boxes somewhere were docs he could use for insurance/protection/revenge/blackmail/threats - ya never know - against friends or enemies, for congress or the courts.

When he was asked/told/ordered to return these papers b/c they were NOT his ... well. What ensued is just classic narcissistic entitlement disease. They. Are. Mine. How. Dare. You. My. Presidency. Has. Not. Ended.

So ... did he select or intend that these docs for his next grift a.k.a. espionage-for-retirement-dollars? IMO - Nah.
He already had a great grift going - the re-election campaign grift.
He's far too lazy to start anew.
He's far too loud to spy.

(I don't mean to minimize the real risks and endangerment of his sociopathic behavior, poor judgement, willingness to share state secrets for self-aggrandizement or keeping blackmail handy. But, I imagine the Feds investigated/eliminated the spy-for-$$$ theory prior to charging.)

JMHO
Great analysis, IMO. Especially about the "great grift" he has going... MOO.

UPDATED SAT, JUN 10 20239:07 AM EDT
“Today, an indictment was unsealed charging Donald J. Trump with felony violations of our national security laws as well as participating in a conspiracy to obstruct justice,” special counsel Jack Smith said in brief remarks Friday. “I invite everyone to read it in full to understand the scope and the gravity of the crimes charged.”

He added: “The men and women of the United States intelligence community and our Armed Forces dedicate their lives to protecting our nation and its people.

The ex-president said he’s innocent and ripped the case as a hoax.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member