FL - FSU Law Professor Dan Markel Murdered by Hitmen #13 *1 guilty*

Status
Not open for further replies.
At only age 37, KM matriculated from county jail to the big house! She must be so proud of herself and what she made of her life in the US...

View attachment 357948

KATHERINE D MAGBANUA​

Custody Record
Age37
GenderFemale
RaceWhite

Custody Status Date Aug 04, 2022 07:11 AM EDT
Custody StatusIn Custody
Custody Detail Florida Women's Reception Center
Book Date Aug 04, 2022 12:00 AM EDT

3700 NW 111th Place
Ocala, FL 344821479

ETA: Now KM can experience the JPay Tablet that Sigfredo Garcia is so fond of!
Confused why it says she is white.

Published: Aug. 5, 2022 at 9:07 AM PDT|Updated: 22 hours ago

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (WCTV) - Florida Department of Corrections records show that Katherine Magbanua has now been booked into state prison to begin serving a life sentence in the murder of FSU professor Dan Markel.

Magbanua was picked up from the Leon County Jail at 3:03 a.m. Thursday, Leon County court records show, and has since arrived at the Florida Women’s Reception Center in Ocala.
Magbanua was found guilty of murder, conspiracy and solicitation at trial in May and was sentenced to life plus 30 years just last week.

Leon County Clerk of Courts records show Magbanua has already spent 2,125 days behind bars.

Magbanua is the third person convicted and sent to prison in the murder for hire plot. She was arrested in October 2016 and accused of being the link between Markel’s ex-brother-in-law Charlie Adelson and the men who traveled to Tallahassee to kill Markel in the summer of 2014.

Prosecutors contend the plot was fueled by a bitter custody battle between Markel and his ex-wife, Wendi Adelson, who is Charlie’s sister.

Sigfredo Garcia is serving a life sentence for the murder. His friend, Luis Rivera, is serving a 19-year prison sentence in exchange for his testimony against the others. Rivera claims they were paid $100,000 for the job and split it three ways.

Charlie Adelson was arrested just weeks before Magbanua’s trial. He is currently in the Leon County Jail. His next court date is September 9th, where he’s expected to ask a judge to release him on bond to await trial. Prosecutors told the judge last week they hope to try that case in early 2023.

October 14, 2019

[..]

Prichard testified that he was not able to meet with Garcia until after his conviction. Prichard said he reviewed Garcia’s records in advance and evaluated Garcia for the first time on Sunday.

“He’s a capable guy. He’s a smart guy. He could have done a lot with his life were it not for the choices he made in terms of his criminal conduct,” Prichard said.

Garcia’s defense team called a forensic psychologist to the stand Monday afternoon to describe his troubled childhood and his turbulent relationship with girlfriend and co-defendant Katherine Magbanua.

Dr. Julie Harper interviewed Garcia on multiple occasions within the last month.

She shared photos of Garcia as a child and as a young man, including one as he hugged a very pregnant Magbanua.

Harper testified that Garcia had a difficult childhood, with his father incarcerated and his mother struggling to raise three children. She testified that his mother worked two or three jobs but still struggled to pay the light bill and put food on the table. She testified that Garcia’s father later abandoned the family, saying he was going out to the play lottery and never came back.

Harper testified that Garcia has been arrested at least nine times, including the first time at the age of six for stomping on the hood of a car.

Harper testified that Katherine Magbanua was “substantially dominate” over Garcia in their relationship. Harper testified that Magbanua threatened to take their kids to the Philippines and told Garcia, “you’re a terrible father.”

Harper testified that Garcia was depressed in the months leading up to the murder, fearing that he and Magbanua had broken up for good.

"He didn't really care that much if he lived or died because his value and his self-worth was tied to working. He takes a lot of pride in being a good worker and he couldn't work. And he also takes a lot of pride in being a good father and yet he was prevented access to his children often and he also felt, you know, the loss of being a good husband or mate."

Defense attorney Saam Zangeneh asked the jury for mercy.

“That's where we are and that's what we're asking," Zangeneh said.

[...]

Julie Montanaro WCTV
@JulieMontanaroW

Defense says Garcia’s dad gave him coke and weed and taught him how to commit crimes, first arrested at age of 6
@WCTV
6:33 AM · Oct 15, 2019

Last edited:
I've not been able to locate which DOC facility the convicted triggerman SG was initially sent to but it appears he was relocated during KM's trial.

SIGFREDO GARCIA​

Custody Record
Age40
GenderMale
RaceWhite

1659802871719.png

Date of Birth Apr **, ****
ID NumberM25***

Custody Status Date May 27, 2022 10:10 AM EDT
Custody Status -In Custody
Custody Detail- Holmes CI
Book Date Oct 22, 2019 12:00 AM EDT

3142 Thomas Drive
Bonifay, FL 324250190

I believe Holmes CI is a medium security facility. IMO, KM will likely exceed inmate the number of inmate violations/disciplinary actions of both her co-defendants SG and LR!

I've not been able to locate which DOC facility the convicted triggerman SG was initially sent to but it appears he was relocated during KM's trial.
SG was in Holmes CI before and after KM Trial II. It's almost like he's being kept there because it's only one hour from Tallahassee, and the State knew he'd be involved in future trials (KM II, CA, etc.).

Immediately after sentencing, SG was in Mayo CI before being moved to Holmes.

SG was in Holmes CI before and after KM Trial II. It's almost like he's being kept there because it's only one hour from Tallahassee, and the State knew he'd be involved in future trials (KM II, CA, etc.).

Immediately after sentencing, SG was in Mayo CI before being moved to Holmes.
Actually, Holmes CI in Bonifay, FL at about 92 miles is about 10 miles further from Tallahassee than Mayo so I don't think the trial was the reason for SG's relocation.

A subpoenaed DOC inmate brought in to testify for the prosecution is typically housed in the county jail if required. This occurs frequently and I don't see that SG being called to testify here would be any different. JMO

What do people make of the move for KB? Is this a sign she is not providing valuable information to the prosecution for other parties in this crime?

Confused why it says she is white.
Historically, inmates have been racially classified in only four categories:

Asian
Black
Native American
White

For this purpose, an inmate's race is not to be confused with ethnicity. And even here, DOC only uses two categories for ethnicity -- Hispanic or Non-Hispanic.

Finally located this 2017 link!

July 21, 2017

A judge Friday set a tentative trial date for Katherine Magbanua on January 22, 2018. It's the same day as co-defendant Sigfredo Garcia's trial.

Yet, the judge says the state hasn't filed an official motion, and defense attorneys said they plan to fight any motive to consolidate the cases.

On Friday, the judge refused the state's request to reveal who is paying Magbanua's legal fees.

Katherine Magbanua, her attorneys, and the judge met behind closed doors to discuss who is making those payments while prosecutors waited outside.

Magbanua's attorneys admit a third party is paying Magbanua's legal bills, but they deny it's the family of Dan Markel's ex-wife, as prosecutors have suggested.

The judge ruled as soon as he emerged from the closed door meeting.

"The court is comfortable that payments for the attorneys fees in this case are being paid by a third party unrelated to the Adelson family," Circuit Judge James Hankinson said. "Unless the state has some direct evidence to the contrary, I don't believe any further inquiry is needed nor appropriate."

Not only did Hankinson rule out the Adelson's paying the bills, he refused to tell the state who is paying them.

"They're not allowed to stick their nose in where it doesn't belong," defense attorney Christophe DeCoste said. "Just like they don't have a right to know what goes on in our bedrooms at home, they don't have the right to know what's going on between a client and their attorney."

Defense attorneys feel vindicated and suggest the ruling is the latest crack in the state's "murder for hire" theory.

"They've been proved wrong on who's paying the legal fees," DeCoste said. "They will be proved wrong on the homicide."

"I don't think it's a setback on trying to prove the link, the conspiracy," prosecutor Georgia Cappleman said after the hearing.

"She was offered immunity, refused it. She's now sitting in jail. I believe she holds the key to her own freedom essentially," Cappleman said. "It's a little suspicious that she has no money to pay, yet she's hired an expensive legal team that's housed in the same building as Mr. Adelson's attorneys [David Marcus]."

What do people make of the move for KB? Is this a sign she is not providing valuable information to the prosecution for other parties in this crime?

IMO, KM gambled with her life very early here and lost.

We learned at the first trial in 2017--(before the prosecution had the clean, audible recording from Dolce Vita), that KM was offered immunity by the prosecution and didn't take it.

The very same recording that finally secured probable cause for the arrest of CA is what helped convict KM on all three charges against her in the murder of Dan Markel.

IMO, between the recording and KM's terrible performance on the stand, this was not a difficult decision for the jurors to convict KM as charged.

So no, I don't think the prosecution needs KM's help to convict CA. Just as the State referred to members of the Adelson's family being involved in the murder of DM (without any charges filed), I think the State can refer to the factual convictions of the three co-defendants already convicted and sentenced here and don't need them to testify. MOO

ETA:
Also, KM being sent to Florida Women's Reception Center (Ocala) is typical as this facility serves as both reception for inmates transferred from county jails to Florida DOC, and also long-term/perm housing for female inmates. There's a good chance that Ocala will not be KM's permanent residence and that she'll be transferred to a different facility (2 DOC, 1 Private Contract, prisons) after her intake is completed.

7/29/22

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — Charlie Adelson, the brother-in-law of murdered FSU professor Dan Markel, appeared in court Friday for his first case management conference.

On July 28, Adelson's attorney filed a motion for pretrial release and requested an Arthur hearing.

17 PG MOTION/DOC AVAILABLE AT NEWS LINK BELOW:

Historically, inmates have been racially classified in only four categories:

Asian
Black
Native American
White

For this purpose, an inmate's race is not to be confused with ethnicity. And even here, DOC only uses two categories for ethnicity -- Hispanic or Non-Hispanic.

OK, but then shouldn't it say Asian and not white?

After reading the probable cause document thoroughly, the Phone call records and meetings seem to implicate HA as well as DA. I used to believe WA did not know, but after her recent testimony coupled with phone call records the day of the murder, and her drive-by Trescott Drive, I’m now of the opinion that she damn well knew. HA, DA, and CA will go to any length to protect the princess WA. While DA definitely benefited by getting her sunshines back in south FL, WA benefitted from DMs murder, financially, in a big way. JMO. The harm cannot be undone, however ALL need to be held accountable.

After reading the probable cause document thoroughly, the Phone call records and meetings seem to implicate HA as well as DA. I used to believe WA did not know, but after her recent testimony coupled with phone call records the day of the murder, and her drive-by Trescott Drive, I’m now of the opinion that she damn well knew. HA, DA, and CA will go to any length to protect the princess WA. While DA definitely benefited by getting her sunshines back in south FL, WA benefitted from DMs murder, financially, in a big way. JMO. The harm cannot be undone, however ALL need to be held accountable.
Totally agree that all need to be held accountable. I thought the same about WA but now fully believe she was involved in the planning as well. I do think HA knew too at some point but not sure if it was before or not and/or if had anything to do with the planning.
I do hope DA and WA are arrested very soon and charged with murder.

I believe DA will ultimately be charged, but predict it will be after CAs trial. After CA goes down guilty road, the path will be cleared to charge both Adelson women. WA locked up is justice served. She brought so much misery to Dan Markel’s life and was the single reason for his death. No mercy for this entitled, narcissistic, privileged person.

I believe DA will ultimately be charged, but predict it will be after CAs trial. After CA goes down guilty road, the path will be cleared to charge both Adelson women. WA locked up is justice served. She brought so much misery to Dan Markel’s life and was the single reason for his death. No mercy for this entitled, narcissistic, privileged person.
So do you think CA won't be offered a deal and if he is, he won't take it? I know we are reading tea leaves here. I just have a hard time imagining that he wouldn't use any chance to not spend the rest of his life in prison. I do think DA and WA will bond together against him though if given the chance.

I don’t see CA getting any deal…the audio plus the conviction of KM, SG and the testimony of LR is plenty to convict him. Plus the added benefit of his narcissistic personality is almost certain to rub jurors the wrong way. (notice I did not go to the “nobody likes a periodontist”). The Adelson family does not garner empathy in any possible scenario. CA will fall on his proverbial sword to “protect” mommy and sissy. No deals is my prediction and it’s JMO. It will be interesting to see how CA’s defense comes up with a scenario where he’s not guilty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member