GUILTY FL - FSU Law Professor Dan Markel Murdered by Hitmen #17

Status
Not open for further replies.

0101ABA

Former Member
Reaction score
Florida State University professor Dan Markel was found in his Tallahassee, Florida, home on Friday. Police say there were no signs of robbery or burglary and have yet to disclose any motive.
According to Tallahassee police, officers found Markel after a neighbor called 911 at about 11 a.m. with reports of a "loud bang."

Markel, 41, was rushed to a local hospital, where he died the following day. "While we cannot release specific information or details regarding this case, the Violent Crimes Unit is releasing that Mr. Markel's cause of death was a fatal gunshot wound to the head," Tallahassee Police Chief Michael DeLeo said in a statement.
By Monday, police had categorized the case as a homicide, and according to Tallahassee Police Department spokesman David Northway, Markel was the intended target.
Clues sought in slaying of FSU law professor Dan Markel - CNN
Probable Cause documents
Leon County Court Motions (dissolution of marriage)

Thread #1 Thread #2 Thread #3 Thread #4 Thread #5 Thread #6 Thread #7 Thread #8 Thread #9

Thread #10 Thread #11 Thread #12 Thread #13 Thread #14 Thread #15 Thread #16

Last edited by a moderator:
I shall go ahead & repost my stuff...

Monday, November 6th:
*Trial continues (Day 8)-Closing Arguments! (@ 8:30am ET) - FL – Daniel Eric Markel (41) (shot to death July 18, 2014, Tallahassee) - *Charles Jay Adelson (37 @ time of crime/45/now 46) was indicted (4/20/22), arrested & charged (4/21/22) & booked (in Leon County 4/25/22) with 1st degree murder, conspiracy to commit murder & solicitation to commit murder. No bond (denied bond 4/26/22). Bond release denied (9/9/22).
Jury selection set to begin on 10/23/23 & ended on 10/25/23. 12 Jurors & 3 alternates (8 men & 7 women; 7 white men, 1 Black man, 2 white women & 5 Black women).
Trial began on 10/26/23. State rested their case on 11/1/23. Defense began on 11/1/23 & rested on 11/3/23. From 9am 5:30pm except Wednesdays from 9am-5pm/5:15pm.
Circuit Judge Stephen Everett presiding. Prosecutor Georgia Cappleman. Defense attorney Daniel Rashbaum & Kate Meyers.

Court info from 4/21/22 thru 10/23/23 & Jury Selection Day 1-3 (10/23-10/25/23) & Trial Day 1-6 (10/26-11/2/23) reference post #481 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...murdered-by-hitmen-3-guilty-16.694864/page-25

11/3/23 Friday, Trial Day 7: Defense witness: Charlie Adelson returns on stand.
Attorney Rashbaum says the defense rests. Cappleman says the state doesn’t plan to have a rebuttal argument. Judge Everett says he’s going to release jurors & have them return Monday for closing arguments.
For more info see post #681 here:
[URL unfurl="false"]https://www.websleuths.com/forums/threads/fl-fsu-law-professor-dan-markel-murdered-by-hitmen-3-guilty-16.694864/page-35[/URL]
Closing arguments begin on Monday, 11/6/23.

I expected to be nervous but for some reason I am calm at the moment. Perhaps it was waking up to a chirping smoke detector this morning that got all my angst out!
Off topic…but why do the smoke detector batteries always go at 3:30 am when you’re dead asleep and your ladder is out in the shed in the backyard? Story of my life. Anyway, I hope it was just a battery!

Boring. Jury instructions. Hope there is one on Reasonable doubt.

so far on murder, elements 1 and 3 are proven. Dan is dead, and Katie and Luis testified there’s a premeditated act. Charlie also testified he believes it was premeditated. Has the state proved Charlie helped them? Did he do an act intended to cause the death? It has been proved that he paid.

Conspiracy: Has it been shown he intended to murder Dan? That he conspired with Katie and others? This is the one where his extortion claim comes in. This one the jury may argue about.

Solicitation- Not a ton of evidence that he solicited or hire them except Katie and Luis. If the jury believes them, this one is proven.

I think the jury could get hung up on the second 2 charges. Ironically, the charge of murder is pretty much proven because he paid for it, and I think the way I heard the instruction, if he paid and it was in exchange for the murder, he’s guilty. Doubt: maybe the payment was for the extortion. Is that doubt reasonable?

ETA- oh, dear, they got in an instruction about how you can give less weight to the testimony of someone who claims to have helped commit the crime or who had been promised something. Katie.

Last edited:
Off topic…but why do the smoke detector batteries always go at 3:30 am when you’re dead asleep and your ladder is out in the shed in the backyard? Story of my life. Anyway, I hope it was just a battery!
It has to do with the cooler temperatures at night. During warmer temperatures, the battery is able to work even if it’s weak. When the temperature drops, it needs more power to do the same thing it did during the day so the battery fails and the detector chirps.

Good Morning!

I’m nervous. You all nervous?

Hoping that the State delivers a neatly packaged closing that’s makes it clear to the jury that CA hired a hitmen and murdered Dan! It’s really simple to understand!

So nervous! I think I’m most worried about the possibility of a hung jury.

I followed this case when it first happened and then for next few years, until life kind of got in the way and I lost track of it. I wasn’t even aware this trial was happening until I noticed this thread activity here. I immediately started watching.

I am not as well-versed as most of you on the happenings over the last several years and the last trials, etc. I’ve found a lot of stuff confusing in this trial and have had to go back to look stuff up and re-read things to clarify it in my head—something the jury does not have the benefit of doing!

Hoping the jury has been able to read between the conflicting stories and see the truth. It seems so obvious from the outside looking in, hopefully the jury feels the same.

Don't worry, you are not alone! I had a mouse at 3:30 am who was stuck in one of my bug motels! It was terrifying -- inside a utility closet and flailing mightily with the cardboard box enveloping it. I was too cowardly to open the closet door until daylight when I found that he had apparently checked out of the motel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ONF21772