GUILTY FL - FSU Law Professor Dan Markel Murdered by Hitmen #20

Status
Not open for further replies.

0101ABA

Former Member
Reaction score
Florida State University professor Dan Markel was found in his Tallahassee, Florida, home on Friday. Police say there were no signs of robbery or burglary and have yet to disclose any motive.
According to Tallahassee police, officers found Markel after a neighbor called 911 at about 11 a.m. with reports of a "loud bang."

Markel, 41, was rushed to a local hospital, where he died the following day. "While we cannot release specific information or details regarding this case, the Violent Crimes Unit is releasing that Mr. Markel's cause of death was a fatal gunshot wound to the head," Tallahassee Police Chief Michael DeLeo said in a statement.
By Monday, police had categorized the case as a homicide, and according to Tallahassee Police Department spokesman David Northway, Markel was the intended target.
Clues sought in slaying of FSU law professor Dan Markel - CNN
Probable Cause documents
Leon County Court Motions (dissolution of marriage)

Thread #1 Thread #2 Thread #3 Thread #4 Thread #5 Thread #6 Thread #7 Thread #8 Thread #9

Thread #10 Thread #11 Thread #12 Thread #13 Thread #14 Thread #15 Thread #16Thread #17
Thread #18Thread #19

Last edited by a moderator:
There are several potential Jail Calls’ scenarios providing the State more materials for future prosecutions:
  • Albeit listed in Donna Sue Adelson’ s discovery, I expect the Jail Calls 11/6/23 to 12/1/23 (67 calls) to include calls to and from Dr. Charles Adelson because Donna was arrested only on 11/13/23. According to the Tallahassee Democrat, “[…] Charlie Adelson spent an astonishing amount of time (35 hours) on the phone with his mom — and perhaps others using her cell — in the roughly week-long span between his conviction and her arrest.”
  • Any damaging Jail Calls to and fro Charlie in the time interval from 11/9/23 to 11/13/23 are listed in Donna’s discovery because these calls are perhaps conversations with Donna herself.
  • From 11/13/23 to 11/21/23 (about 1 week), the damaging calls are perhaps to and fro both Charlie and Donna, between them and among other people, and potentially including Wendi and Harvey Adelson, because Charlie and Donna were both in Jail by that time frame.
  • On 11/21/23, the Court ordered Donna to have NO CONTACT WITH VICTIMS FAMILY (including Wendi’s 2 minor children because they are victim Dan Markel’s family) AND WITNESSES (including 1. Wendi who took the stand thrice as a witness in this case and 2. Harvey who got his “black phone”, i phone and i pad sized after Donna’s arrest). Also, the Court ordered NO CONTACT WITH CO-DEFENDANT (Charlie and the 3 others), perhaps stopping Jail Calls between Charlie and Donna.
  • Still, from 11/21/23 to 12/1/23, Charlie could have made Jail Calls damaging to Donna, potentially calling Harvey and Dan’s sons (Ben is supposed to have talked with his uncle), Wendi (unlikely but possible), and others such as June Umchida. Convicted “Big talker” Charlie could speak to anybody because he has no gag order.
  • After 11/21/23, Donna could have made damaging Jail Calls while speaking to family friends such as gynecologist and former state lawmaker Ben Graber. If there are calls between Donna and Ben Graber talking about gynecology only, these calls would not be in Donna’s discovery.
  • After 11/21/23, Charlie could have made damaging Jail Calls while speaking to family friends such as the “friend” who reported to FBI that Donna and Harvey were asking for flight and accommodation in The Philippines. If there are calls between Charlie and this “friend” about “your Dad told me not to tell you that they were planning to go to The Philippines”, Charlie would explode and could add materials in Donna’s discovery by spilling the beans.
We will certainly hear about these Charlie and Donna Jail Calls, and also about damaging recent financial transactions and travel escape plans from Harvey’s “black phone”, i phone and i pad sized after Donna’s arrest. I am most intrigued by the contents of Harvey’s “black phone” because it is a potential burner phone. In any rate, we expect TWO MORE Justice For Dan Markel in the near future.

Attachments

• Jail Calls.png
    Jail Calls.png
    169.8 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Certainly Donna knew her prison calls would be recorded. What could account for such a lapse in judgement? I'm thinking either extreme anxiety at finding herself incarcerated or the "evidence" in these calls is intentionally misleading.

Don’t think when Wendi says something honest about driving to the scene when on the stand - based on derivative use immunity- could not use that information to further the case. Believe that is how this type immunity has been explained. But would think they could use information that was inaccurately reported by WA and was observed by LE to say where she was and what was observed at the scene of the crime. Does this sound accurate?

Bring forward the live trial blog link to much discussed testimony of TPD Officer Bill Brannon who responded to the scene of Dan Markel’s murder on Trescott Drive in 2014. His patrol car was blocking Trescott Drive near Centerville Road that day.

Bring forward the live trial blog link to much discussed testimony of TPD Officer Bill Brannon who responded to the scene of Dan Markel’s murder on Trescott Drive in 2014. His patrol car was blocking Trescott Drive near Centerville Road that day.

IMO, there's no way WA could see the crime scene tape from the intersection of Trescott & Centerville. The distance from that intersection to Dan's house was .9 miles and around a couple of curves. Even if you back up 4-5 houses, it's still 3/4 of a mile. She obviously lied on the stand about not turning down Trescott.

IMO, there's no way WA could see the crime scene tape from the intersection of Trescott & Centerville. The distance from that intersection to Dan's house was .9 miles and around a couple of curves. Even if you back up 4-5 houses, it's still 3/4 of a mile. She obviously lied on the stand about not turning down Trescott.

I think she gave 5 different versions of her route.

Confirming nobody could see the crime scene tape from the intersection of Trescott Dr and Centerville Rd per Officer Bannon's testimony.

Actually, I don't think it's disputed that WA turned away from the roadblock which from Officer Brannon's testimony was set up blocking both the north and south sides of Dan's residence on Trescott Dr. where Brannon was guarding the north side of the parameter (i.e., side closest to Trescott Dr and Centerville, Rd).

Seems to me what was being disputed was the defense arguing a forensic investigator (Maltese) on the scene estimated the roadblock was five to six houses away from Markel’s home, whereas Brannon testified the crime scene parameter (and road blocks) set up was three or four houses north & south of the Markel residence.

Regardless of whether or not it was four or six houses away, Bannon opined that it would be obvious to oncoming traffic that law enforcement was at the Markel house. While the defense objected this was speculation, I'm not aware that there was any evidence that Maltese disagreed with Bannon about the visible presence of LE at the Markel house, and only that per Rashbaum, WA cell phone evidence indicated she was likely on the phone at the time she was seen turning away from the roadblock. Wendi also testified she saw both tape and the police car blocking the road (see the first minute of Court TV link below).

Cappleman returned for questioning, and asked him, regardless of the number of houses, was the crime scene and home visible where the roadblock was.

Brannon said it was visible from his viewpoint.

I haven't seen any crime scene photos, but both Carl Steinbeck and Joel (STS) stated there were 15 emergency vehicles and 19 first responders at the scene. It would have been very clear that there had been a major incident at or near DM's house and the fact there were multiple ambulances and police vehicles, it would have been obvious it was something serious and something criminal. Not a fallen tree....

It's the Trescott Drive journey and the TV that will be WA's undoing. Assuming she is arrested I think there is a lot more information that will come out especially relating to the TV. The Geek Squad technician was one of the uncalled witnesses at CA's trial, so he obviously has some important information. I think GC and the State could have produced a lot more evidence at CA's trial, but didn't as it wasn't relevant to CA only relevant to WA and therefore unnecessary at that point in time. WA wasn't on trial.

CA and DA's hearings are now scheduled at 10:30am on December 12, 2023.
CA will be sentenced, and DA will be arraigned, in the same courtroom.

Potentially BIG event! You truly have a keen eye for details, Elfwoman335. Four important details occurred since Dr. Charles Adelson’s conviction:

1. Donna Adelson has been arrested
2. Donna Adelson and her attorneys have accepted the arraignment as scheduled, which could be avoided with a written plea of not guilty (Florida RCP 3.170) and intent to participate in discovery (Florida RCP 3.220)
3. The State Attorneys seem to have accelerated the discovery as compared to the Sigfredo, Katie, and Charlie processes
4. Charlie (sentencing) and Donna (arraignment) hearings are now scheduled simultaneously in the same court room at 10:30am on December 12, 2023! (I am very surprised by this.)

Folks, stay tuned for a potentially big event on Tuesday December 12, 2023 at Leon County courts. It is highly surprising but if there were any truth in the old lore, these details could be “four tree leaves” potentially foretelling some form of guilty plea agreement between the State Attorney and the defendant Donna Adelson. If Donna were to plea any amount of guilt, it seems logical that other unindicted co-conspirator(s) would potentially follow for at least some form of “accessory to the fact”.

By the way, this potential move is not that far fetched for Donna. I thought Charlie could have done similar move. To his downfall, Charlie elected to adopt the bizarre “self hiring hit men” followed by a continuing “double blackmailing” defense, which were easily debunked by the great plenty amount of evidence.

Potentially BIG event! You truly have a keen eye for details, Elfwoman335. Four important details occurred since Dr. Charles Adelson’s conviction:

2. Donna Adelson and her attorneys have accepted the arraignment as scheduled, which could be avoided with a written plea of not guilty (Florida RCP 3.170) and intent to participate in discovery (Florida RCP 3.220)
3. The State Attorneys seem to have accelerated the discovery as compared to the Sigfredo, Katie, and Charlie processes
4. Charlie (sentencing) and Donna (arraignment) hearings are now scheduled simultaneously in the same court room at 10:30am on December 12, 2023! (I am very surprised by this.)

Folks, stay tuned for a potentially big event on Tuesday December 12, 2023 at Leon County courts. It is highly surprising but if there were any truth in the old lore, these details could be “four tree leaves” potentially foretelling some form of guilty plea agreement between the State Attorney and the defendant Donna Adelson. If Donna were to plea any amount of guilt, it seems logical that other unindicted co-conspirator(s) would potentially follow for at least some form of “accessory to the fact”.

By the way, this potential move is not that far fetched for Donna. I thought Charlie could have done similar move. To his downfall, Charlie elected to adopt the bizarre “self hiring hit men” followed by a continuing “double blackmailing” defense, which were easily debunked by the great plenty amount of evidence.
Agreed. I think the fact that the two court appearances are at the same time is significant. I anticipate some interesting developments this week.

CA and DA's hearings are now scheduled at 10:30am on December 12, 2023.
CA will be sentenced, and DA will be arraigned, in the same courtroom.

CA was previously set to be sentenced on 12/12/23 at 2:30 pm in courtroom 3B (Judge Everett's court) but on 12/5 this was reset to 12/12/23 at 10:30 am in courtroom 3B.

However, on 12/5/23, per DA's docket, her arraignment is shown as being reset for the same date/time with Judge Everett as CA's sentencing. (Arraignment previously set on 11/22 for 12/12 at 8:45 am).

I'm sure this is in error -- stay tuned for the next calendar revision/update. The dates/time were most likely set for the convenience of the mutual prosecution and not that they will appear together!

37 2016 CF 003036 B - STATE OF FLORIDA vs ADELSON, CHARLES
12/4/2023
223​
DISPDISPOSITION DATE SET FINAL DISPOSITON SET: 12/12/2023 02:30PM /ROOM# 3B
JIS​
12/5/2023
224​
DISPDISPOSITION DATE SET FINAL DISPOSITON RESET TO: 12/12/2023 10:30AM /ROOM# 3B
JIS​

37 2023 CF 003226 A - STATE OF FLORIDA vs ADELSON, DONNA SUE

12/4/2023
37​
ANDD ‹‹-Req $ANSWER TO DEMAND FOR DISCOVERY AMENDED: ANSWER TO DEMAND FOR DISCOVERY
JIS​
12/5/2023
38​
ARNSARRAIGNMENT SET: ARRAIGNMENT RESET TO: 12/12/2023 10:30AM /ROOM# 3B
JIS​

Last edited:

She isn't pleading guilty on the 12th. That isn't the way the system works. Even if she
wanted to take a guilty plea, she would first plead not guilty and then negotiate with a plea agreement prior to changing her plea. Nobody takes a guilty plea straight up to capital murder.

Agreed. I think the fact that the two court appearances are at the same time is significant. I anticipate some interesting developments this week.
I'm sure this calendar date/time is to accommodate the mutual prosecution and not that each defendant will be brought before Judge Everett simultaneously.

We already know that the defendants are prohibited from having contact with each other. DA's arraignment should take 5 minutes whereas we should expect much longer time for CA's sentencing to allow for the victim impact statements. JMO

Agree on the main point that it would be very clear to Wendi when she drove up to the crime scene but Carl & Joel's recollections are inaccurate- there were not 15 vehicles all at the time Wendi was there. ( vs TV news footage filmed at other points during that day)

What did Brannon testify to in 2023 about the number of emergency/LE vehicles at the scene at approx time when Wendi approached?

at 1hr 29 here

I raised the question about the location of the roadblock as part of a search for a “unified theory” of WA’s actions that morning. What was her original plan and what necessitated it to be changed? While the prosecutors must have undisclosed evidence about WA’s actions that morning, we have unanswered questions, such as:

1. It seems that the damaged TV provided an excuse for a repairman to be scheduled to be with WA at her home on the morning of the murder. Why did they feel that they needed this alibi when WA easily could have established her whereabouts for an alibi with relying on the uncertain arrival time of a third party?

2. I recall that the window for the repairman was 8am-12pm. Is this correct, as four hours seems like a broad window? Was the original expectation that the murder would occur earlier than it did or conversely that the repairman would be scheduled and arrive later (say, in a 10-12 window) than actually occurred?

3. Why did the killers follow DM to the school, gym and then home? If the murder was to occur at the house, why not just wait near it?

4. What was the original plan as to the killing itself (I am assuming that WA and CA must have had some expectation as to where and when)? It could not have been to walk up to DM while he was on the phone with an open garage door, as that could not have been predicted and relied upon. The point here is to work backwards to try to explain WA’s actions as she must have had some expectation as to how the day would play out but didn’t, requiring last minute adjustments.

5. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is that the “last minute” lunch plans were made that morning after the repairman left. Were they made because WA had expected the repairman to be with her later (10-12) or the murder to occur earlier? In the police station interview she got jumpy when the lunch was described by the detective as “last minute”. Why? What would have been suspicious about last minute Friday lunch with her friends? What did she expect to be doing at 1pm that didn’t end up not going to happen inducing her to make the lunch plans?

6. How does WA’s attempt to drive either to or by the house (no way that this was a short cut to anywhere) relate to her original expectations as how the day would play out? Did she assume that DA was murdered in the house and therefore she could drive by expecting to see nothing amiss? If so, what would driving by accomplish other than indulging a morbid glee that DA was dead inside? While I now don’t put anything past this narcissist, it is difficult to understand why she would take the risk of driving past the house when she was at the same time establishing an alibi for where she was and why she was where she was.

7. Rather, did something unexpected occur that required her to want to drive to the house? Was the last minute lunch plan made to give her an excuse to be in her car and to drive to the house? Was she going to drive to the house and ring the doorbell and thereby confirm that the murder had occurred by dint of DM not coming to the door? Did the roadblock abort this plan and the stop at ABC liquors become a convenient excuse for the route? Is it possible that she actually planned to call the police to the house “concerned” after the doorbell went unanswered? Did she actually not plan to attend the lunch? On the other hand, the party invite was in her car, so did she plan to go to a liquor store after attending the lunch?

8. Has any explanation been offered for why WA got transported by the police from the lunch to the police station without objection apparently without being provided details by the police? It will be interesting to see any testimony by the other lunch participants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lorenco