FL - FSU Law Professor Dan Markel Murdered by Hitmen *3 guilty* #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think she didn't have time to take a shower because she was busy constantly creating an electronic trail that she was at home by sending emails, making phone calls, etc. If she took the time to take a shower, that would have been a blank period of time with nothing to prove she was at home. It's another slipup of hers, IMO, that shows she knew the murder was happening that morning.
Listening to her interview with Isom I'm struck by how many calls she described being on as she drove to the restaurant. A lot of calls. Exhausting. Aren't you supposed to not use your phone when you're driving? JMO.

OK, I haven't been able to follow ALL of the trial stuff. I know the very major players but would someone be willing to post a summary of the initials that everyone is mentioning so that some of us can follow the comments? I get lost because I don't know the legal team initials and extended family initials. TIA!

P.S. Wendy is so composed on the stand and she uses that and her charm to win people over. She's clearly a liar but it bothers me that she is a pretty effective manipulator.

One of the first things she says when she is told about the murder at the police station is “I was just on Trescott and saw tape and thought it was a downed tree.”
And it wasn’t even bad weather! And if she thought it was a downed tree, why didn’t she call Dan to make sure it didn’t fall on the house?

How did the cops know to find her at the restaurant? Does anyone know?

OK, I haven't been able to follow ALL of the trial stuff. I know the very major players but would someone be willing to post a summary of the initials that everyone is mentioning so that some of us can follow the comments? I get lost because I don't know the legal team initials and extended family initials. TIA!

P.S. Wendy is so composed on the stand and she uses that and her charm to win people over. She's clearly a liar but it bothers me that she is a pretty effective manipulator.
Here are some:

DM - Dan Markel, the victim
GC - Georgia Cappelman, lead prosecutor
SD - Sarah Dugan, prosecutor
DR - Daniel Rashbaum, CA's attorney
WA - Wendi Adelson, DM's ex-wife
CA - Charlie Adelson, WA's brother
DA - Donna Adelson, mother WA and CA
HA - Harvey Adelson, father of WA and CA
LR - Luis Rivera, participated in the murder, pled guilty to 2nd degree murder, a cooperating witness for the state
SG - Sigfredo Garcia, convicted of murder, serving life, father of KM's 2 children
KM - Katherine (Katie) Magbanua -convicted of murder, serving life, CA's ex-girlfriend, SG's ex-girlfriend
JU - June Umchinda, CA's ex-girlfriend
JL - Jeff Lacasse, WA's ex-boyfriend

And it wasn’t even bad weather! And if she thought it was a downed tree, why didn’t she call Dan to make sure it didn’t fall on the house?

How did the cops know to find her at the restaurant? Does anyone know?
They haven't released info about how they located Wendi at the restaurant. As an aside, in the Isom interview it came out that they towed her car from the restaurant to the police station. Wendi apparently did not know that until Isom told her at the police station.

I think he May be willing to flip on Donna. He can’t stop laughing every time she’s mentioned, about how nuts she is.
If you ask me, it was CA who looked a little nuts giggling and smirking at his own murder trial when GC read the derogatory names that his mother called the VICTIM. i don't think the jury could have missed that.

According to Rivera, they got $100k, in cash, split 3 ways, or 33k each (roughly, I think he said Sig let him keep part of his). Then the checks to Katie total $17k. They were each for a certain specific amount, every two weeks. There must’ve been an end number in mind, considering the checks were sequentially issued. They must’ve divided the total they were going to give Katie into biweekly paychecks that were the same amount, and then written a bunch of checks all at one time to cover it.

So…hear me out. If you add 17k to the 33k, Katie got $50k. I think that’s what they were working toward with the paychecks, that nice round number for her.

My questions: Was Katie promised more than the other 2? Did she not want the others to see that she was getting more, so they did it using the paychecks? But why leave a paper trail? Why didn’t Charlie just give her the 17k in cash at his house along with the 100K? Did he not have enough, so he did it with the paychecks?

Note that the defense said exactly that in their opening, that he didn’t have enough cash on hand so they wrote the checks. (He said it with respect to extortion, but most lies have a grain a truth to them).

OR: Did Katie start asking him for more after the murder? Did he have to go to Donna at that point, like they said, because he didn’t have it? I’m sure that is what Donna is going to argue. Were the checks, like the Lexus, and the implants, a way to keep her quiet? (Why were they even worried- if she went to the cops she’d only implicate herself)

The number 17k struck me as odd, and then when I added it to the 33k, the number 50k struck me as well.

What are people’s thoughts on why Katie was paid through the business instead of cash up front? Why did they leave a paper trail? Were the payments going to continue had she not been arrested, or was 50k the number they were going for?

Did Donna know or was she looped in after when CA needed more money? That’s what the defense claims, and when you’re telling a lie, it’s best to stick as close to the truth as possible, so maybe there is some truth to it.

According to Rivera, they got $100k, in cash, split 3 ways, or 33k each (roughly, I think he said Sig let him keep part of his). Then the checks to Katie total $17k. They were each for a certain specific amount, every two weeks. There must’ve been an end number in mind, considering the checks were sequentially issued. They must’ve divided the total they were going to give Katie into biweekly paychecks that were the same amount, and then written a bunch of checks all at one time to cover it.

So…hear me out. If you add 17k to the 33k, Katie got $50k. I think that’s what they were working toward with the paychecks, that nice round number for her.

My questions: Was Katie promised more than the other 2? Did she not want the others to see that she was getting more, so they did it using the paychecks? But why leave a paper trail? Why didn’t Charlie just give her the 17k in cash at his house along with the 100K? Did he not have enough, so he did it with the paychecks?

Note that the defense said exactly that in their opening, that he didn’t have enough cash on hand so they wrote the checks. (He said it with respect to extortion, but most lies have a grain a truth to them).

OR: Did Katie start asking him for more after the murder? Did he have to go to Donna at that point, like they said, because he didn’t have it? I’m sure that is what Donna is going to argue. Were the checks, like the Lexus, and the implants, a way to keep her quiet? (Why were they even worried- if she went to the cops she’d only implicate herself)

The number 17k struck me as odd, and then when I added it to the 33k, the number 50k struck me as well.

What are people’s thoughts on why Katie was paid through the business instead of cash up front? Why did they leave a paper trail? Were the payments going to continue had she not been arrested, or was 50k the number they were going for?

Did Donna know or was she looped in after when CA needed more money? That’s what the defense claims, and when you’re telling a lie, it’s best to stick as close to the truth as possible, so maybe there is some truth to it.
When Katie testified she said "she began receiving the checks from the Adelsons after she asked Charles Adelson to hire her as his assistant — a favor so she could qualify for state health insurance for her children."
Now I know this is Katie's explanation, but there may be a kernel of truth there -- maybe she did need some wages to get her children Florida state health insurance. I don't know what Florida law is on that issue or if her explanation makes sense, but that's what came up at her second trial. JMO.

When Katie testified she said "she began receiving the checks from the Adelsons after she asked Charles Adelson to hire her as his assistant — a favor so she could qualify for state health insurance for her children."
Now I know this is Katie's explanation, but there may be a kernel of truth there -- maybe she did need some wages to get her children Florida state health insurance. I don't know what Florida law is on that issue or if her explanation makes sense, but that's what came up at her second trial. JMO. bad for her it
If that‘s true, too bad for her it was used as evidence against her in a murder trial! You know Donna is going to claim, if she is ever tried, that she didn’t know about anything until she was asked to write the checks. She may even claim she thought the checks were so Katie could get health insurance! And when the bump happened, she was worried they were onto her for insurance fraud! Except that the guy handed her a paper with Dan’s photo. Oh well.

This was from when LR pleaded guilty in 2016:

“There was $100,000 in cash waiting once the murder was done.
Garcia, who would take $40,000, promised him $35,000.
The rest, and then some, went to Garcia’s on-and-off girlfriend Katherine Magbanua, Rivera said.”

(LR has testified he actually got $37K on July 19 because SG gave him a few grand of his take.)
Also notable they knew the dollar figures upfront when they went to Tallahassee on the first trip in early June. LR also testified that SG had a few grand extra to bring on each trip for expenses, money presumably provided by KM. So is the CA defense that KM funded all this herself up front? Another reason the extortion after the fact story is weak.

This was from when LR pleaded guilty in 2016:

“There was $100,000 in cash waiting once the murder was done.
Garcia, who would take $40,000, promised him $35,000.
The rest, and then some, went to Garcia’s on-and-off girlfriend Katherine Magbanua, Rivera said.”

(LR has testified he actually got $37K on July 19 because SG gave him a few grand of his take.)
Also notable they knew the dollar figures upfront when they went to Tallahassee on the first trip in early June. LR also testified that SG had a few grand extra to bring on each trip for expenses, money presumably provided by KM. So is the CA defense that KM funded all this herself up front? Another reason the extortion after the fact story is weak.
Yep. I just wish more of that had come out during Rivera‘s testimony. They barely covered that there were two trips up there. That was almost like a throwaway remark “yeah, we went once before,” rather than walking him through the whole trip. That they went twice is really important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500