FL - FSU Law Professor Dan Markel Murdered by Hitmen *4 Guilty* #22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair criticism. If you are questioning that, you should be questioning the decision not to sign off on Charlies arrest affidavit in 2016. The answer might be related.
Just wanted to add a reminder that, even if the newer channels aren't aware of the background, it's been covered a lot by Florida Politics, Tally Democrat and by the shows which interview former SA office emlployees, local lawyers and former prosecutors from Tallahassee.

It's also been covered a lot on WS since 2016 and very recently on these Dan Markel threads. Probably been discussed on every WS thread but easy to miss.

I imagine the controversy and the ' justice delayed...' themes is one reason why so many have stuck with the case so long. It might also explain why are some are so hard-core on certain aspects of the case ( You reference some of the older channels and their attitude to Wendi and also ask why are the newer voices so focussed on Wendi. How long have you got? My post is already long enough.)

Anyway back to the OPost -
The leak , why and by whom. Willie Meggs . One link example 2016 link below - 'Tensions flare in the Markel case...'
'Police have said since May, Charlie and Donna Adelson were involved in Markel’s 2014 shooting

After Meggs declined to approve probable cause for the arrest of Magbanua and Charlie Adelson, sources in the State Attorney’s Office confirmed TPD began seeking the authority of the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Northern District of Florida....“If they believe they have probable cause then they should go make the arrest. They don’t need me,” Meggs said. “I would say to Chief (Michael) DeLeo go make the arrest and get ready for your civil suit from whoever they have arrested without probable cause.''

'TPD investigators were suspicious State Attorney’s Office investigators were leaking information. Emails obtained during that time frame indicate the two offices often have disagreements on cases.'
Tensions flare in Markel case after unexpected document drop

( Speculation on other factors, frustrations via insider connections, godfather Weinstein etc are also discussed on F Politics, threats of 'lawfare', rifts between TPD & SAOffice pre 2016 are on T. Democrat too. Charlie's old claim to ' know someone who knows someone' in the SA's office to June )

Then, in brief:
Jack Campbell wins, Willie Meggs retires;
(Kawass & DaCoste factors?)
Setback- Magbanua mistrial;
A step forward- McIlveen audio enhancement ( Dulce & Matsuri);
Katie M's proffers meh

I guess this is why the falling domino is an analogy much used for the case.

Anybody less keen on the conspiracy-corruption angle could try Mentour Lawyer's old analyses ( He goes through the impact of early decisions and how they have a ripple effect on the co-conspirators, slowing down progress and giving others like Charlie & Wendi early confidence. ' The State's never going to arrest me' etc )

'Katherine Magbanua Deep Dive - the Willie Meggs effect'

2022 Jack Campbell - we’re never ever gonna stop
Prepared statement delivered to press in 2022 ' the law enforcement team behind this continuing investigation will not rest until justice is delivered to every person involved in this terrible crime'

There are also a lot of podcasts by former NPD and FBI officers who explain why, unfortunately progressing slow and complex cases often requires waiting for a retirement or the side-ways promotion of a 'case-blocker.'
Maybe, once the prosecutions end- whether that's after Donna or another Adelson- an insider will write a book covering the history of the case. Sandford would be great but am not holding my breath because he seems to be a very unassuming character.

Some commentators otoh have spent years saying that the State should've prosecuted all of the Adelsons together. Me? I don't think you need to be a defense lawyer or prosecutor to work out why that would've been risky and problematic

Last edited:
I do recall her mentioning her Dad’s birthday trip in her interview with Isom. If there was no hard date set, perhaps that’s why she was probing about Dan’s travel plans if her plan was to travel the same week or weeks that Dan traveled? Although if that were the case, you’d think she’s just ask him directly when he was planning the ‘Canada’ trip, but I do get the feeling clear and direct communication is not one of her stronger qualities :)
She also mentioned that trip to Peru on her January 2O15 podcast. That she couldn’t go to Peru with her father because of the murder. Or something to that effect. Could just be another of her fabrications to try and show she had nothing to do with the murder. I hope the state looked into this.
Sort of like “How would I know about the murder when I had a trip planned for my father”?

Just wanted to add a reminder that, even if the newer channels aren't aware of the background, it's been covered a lot by Florida Politics, Tally Democrat and by the shows which interview former SA office emlployees, local lawyers and former prosecutors from Tallahassee.

It's also been covered a lot on WS since 2016 and very recently on these Dan Markel threads. Probably been discussed on every WS thread but easy to miss.

I imagine the controversy and the ' justice delayed...' themes is one reason why so many have stuck with the case so long. It might also explain why are some are so hard-core on certain aspects of the case ( You reference some of the older channels and their attitude to Wendi and also ask why are the newer voices so focussed on Wendi. How long have you got? My post is already long enough.)

Anyway back to the OPost -
The leak , why and by whom. Willie Meggs . One link example 2016 link below - 'Tensions flare in the Markel case...'

Tensions flare in Markel case after unexpected document drop

( Speculation on other factors, frustrations via insider connections, godfather Weinstein etc are also discussed on F Politics, threats of 'lawfare', rifts between TPD & SAOffice pre 2016 are on T. Democrat too. Charlie's old claim to ' know someone who knows someone' in the SA's office to June )

Then, in brief:
Jack Campbell wins, Willie Meggs retires;
(Kawass & DaCoste factors?)
Setback- Magbanua mistrial;
A step forward- McIlveen audio enhancement ( Dulce & Matsuri);
Katie M's proffers meh

I guess this is why the falling domino is an analogy much used for the case.

Anybody less keen on the conspiracy-corruption angle could try Mentour Lawyer's old analyses ( He goes through the impact of early decisions and how they have a ripple effect on the co-conspirators, slowing down progress and giving others like Charlie & Wendi early confidence. ' The State's never going to arrest me' etc )

'Katherine Magbanua Deep Dive - the Willie Meggs effect'

2022 Jack Campbell - we’re never ever gonna stop
Prepared statement delivered to press in 2022 ' the law enforcement team behind this continuing investigation will not rest until justice is delivered to every person involved in this terrible crime'

There are also a lot of podcasts by former NPD and FBI officers who explain why, unfortunately progressing slow and complex cases often requires waiting for a retirement or the side-ways promotion of a 'case-blocker.'
Maybe, once the prosecutions end- whether that's after Donna or another Adelson- an insider will write a book covering the history of the case. Sandford would be great but am not holding my breath because he seems to be a very unassuming character.

Some commentators otoh have spent years saying that the State should've prosecuted all of the Adelsons together. Me? I don't think you need to be a defense lawyer or prosecutor to work out why that would've been risky and problematic
So (and I'm obviously not a lawyer),do you think DeLeo had all the evidence, going back to 2016 to arrest all,but there wasn’t agreement to move forward for all the Adelsons?
(putting aside the other factors with Meggs). Jack Campbell statement above seem to support there was enough evidence.

I have wondered if all the curfufle about where they would enroll Ben for kindergarten was driven by WA assuming they would no longer be in Tally. Wasn’t WA unwilling to commit to DM’s preferred school? That’s not surprising considering their dynamics but WA might have been procrastinating if she knew she was going to be moving. OMO. Just a thought.
Per one of Dan’s divorce pleadings that I’ve read, IIRC, the issue was that the boys’ current school had recommended that the older boy stay there one more year and not start kindergarten that fall, owing to his late birthday and the divorce transition. Per that pleading, Wendi was refusing to talk about what they should do, and they were approaching a deadline for applications to another school, and Dan was concerned that they would end up not having any choice but to leave the kid where he was. Meanwhile, at some point it appears that Wendi had, in fact, entered a lottery for placement of the older boy in a charter school for kindergarten starting that fall. Per Epstein’s book, Dan only found this out when that school called him, sometime earlier in the week of the murder, and he was understandably upset that she had done this without telling him. Per her police interview, Wendi had laryngitis earlier that week and had been unable to talk to Dan about this. Per her police interview and evidence presented at Charlie’s trial, Dan had left a message on the morning of the murder suggesting they talk that day if her voice felt better, but by the time Wendi called him back, he did not answer, because he was already dead.

Last edited:
I do recall her mentioning her Dad’s birthday trip in her interview with Isom. If there was no hard date set, perhaps that’s why she was probing about Dan’s travel plans if her plan was to travel the same week or weeks that Dan traveled? Although if that were the case, you’d think she’s just ask him directly when he was planning the ‘Canada’ trip, but I do get the feeling clear and direct communication is not one of her stronger qualities :)
Despite the family wealth, a trip to Machu Picchu would require some advance planning... Harvey was still a practicing dentist. Same for DM planning a trip with sons to Canada. Travel plans or lack of them could be part of impeaching Wendi, along with her many lies.

Despite the family wealth, a trip to Machu Picchu would require some advance planning... Harvey was still a practicing dentist. Same for DM planning a trip with sons to Canada. Travel plans or lack of them could be part of impeaching Wendi, along with her many lies.
It seems the Canada trip would have already have been planned by then, since school was a month after the murder. Also, DM went to Canada every summer with the boys. I believe it was Ruth that stated that. I’d think he would have to coordinate it with his mother, sister and other family members. Maybe Tamara could confirm that.
Dentists take a lot of time off for vacation. It was established that D and H traveled a lot.
My dentist would take the entire month of August to travel.But he did have a partner.
Harvey could have hired a vacation relief dentist to cover for him.
They did travel to Africa (a YT video posted),and that takes at least 2 weeks I’d think.
I do think this trip is important and may have been overlooked by many,since I have yet to see any talkofit on Social Media.
Many have not heard her 2015 podcast.
so she mentions it twice in two places.

It seems the Canada trip would have already have been planned by then, since school was a month after the murder. Also, DM went to Canada every summer with the boys. I believe it was Ruth that stated that. I’d think he would have to coordinate it with his mother, sister and other family members. Maybe Tamara could confirm that.
Dentists take a lot of time off for vacation. It was established that D and H traveled a lot.
My dentist would take the entire month of August to travel.But he did have a partner.
Harvey could have hired a vacation relief dentist to cover for him.
They did travel to Africa (a YT video posted),and that takes at least 2 weeks I’d think.
I do think this trip is important and may have been overlooked by many,since I have yet to see any talkofit on Social Media.
Many have not heard her 2015 podcast.
so she mentions it twice in two places.
Ahh yes, the podcast. I believe Wendi claimed the trip was inspired by Harvey 's " brain cancer/tumor?"...& has been debunked by her former classmate/friend. He informed on a YouTube appearance that she literally stole that story as her own from another mutual friend .

Ahh yes, the podcast. I believe Wendi claimed the trip was inspired by Harvey 's " brain cancer/tumor?"...& has been debunked by her former classmate/friend. He informed on a YouTube appearance that she literally stole that story as her own from another mutual friend .
Speaking of the podcast…

I don’t understand how, hypothetically, the death of an EX spouse would prevent someone from taking a planned trip with their father.

I don’t understand why, hypothetically, the death of an EX spouse could require someone to move in with their parents until they could get back on their feet, when the person had been functioning on their own as a single parent living independently in their own home since the divorce.

I don’t understand how the death of an ex-spouse could be more destabilizing for the former spouse than the divorce itself was.

I find it interesting that the people participating in the writing workshop do not appear to ask these questions

Last edited:
Yes she did mention that tumor but I don’t think it was in the context of the Peru trip. TBH I don’t feel like hearing it again to confirm!

Speaking of the podcast…

I don’t understand how, hypothetically, the death of an EX husband would prevent someone from taking a trip with their father later that year.

I don’t understand why, hypothetically, the death of an EX spouse could require someone to move in with their parents until they could get back on their feet.

I don’t understand how the death of an ex-spouse could be more destabilizing than the divorce itself, especially in a situation where ever since that divorce the person had been functioning on their own as a single parent living independently in their own home.

I find it interesting that the people participating in the writing workshop do not appear to ask these questions and instead appear to accept the premise that as the result of the shooting of her ex-spouse, the writer herself has suffered a tragedy which has upended her life completely.
It wasn’t that year.It was that summer.

Speaking of the podcast…

I don’t understand how, hypothetically, the death of an EX husband would prevent someone from taking a trip with their father later that year.

I don’t understand why, hypothetically, the death of an EX spouse could require someone to move in with their parents until they could get back on their feet.

I don’t understand how the death of an ex-spouse could be more destabilizing than the divorce itself, especially in a situation where ever since that divorce the person had been functioning on their own as a single parent living independently in their own home.

I find it interesting that the people participating in the writing workshop do not appear to ask these questions and instead appear to accept the premise that as the result of the shooting of her ex-spouse, the writer herself has suffered a tragedy which has upended her life completely.
The people on that podcast seemed to be gushing over Wendi like everyone else in her life at the time.

Speaking of the podcast…

I don’t understand how, hypothetically, the death of an EX spouse would prevent someone from taking a planned trip with their father.

I don’t understand why, hypothetically, the death of an EX spouse could require someone to move in with their parents until they could get back on their feet, when the person had been functioning on their own as a single parent living independently in their own home since the divorce.

I don’t understand how the death of an ex-spouse could be more destabilizing for the former spouse than the divorce itself was.

I find it interesting that the people participating in the writing workshop do not appear to ask these questions
She wasn’t functioning as a single parent. Her parents were there with her half the time she had the kids, and then she had Jeffrey.

Can you attach a time stamp for her mention of trip with father? " where WA said to Det Isom about father's birthday trip? I don't want to listen to the whole thing again, again & again. Thank you in advance.
I spent last night cataloging info about the Machu Picchu trip and am providing links from WA's podcast 2015. Her story is Episode #6: click on start arrow in the laptop drawing to listen
"I was a professor at Florida State University College of Law. I was so proud to be a public interest lawyer and a mentor to my students. The novel I wrote about my client's stories had just been chosen as the common read for all first year students at FSU. In August I was supposed to be the commencement speaker and then I was supposed to take my brain cancer surviving, just turned 70 father on a trip to Machu Picchu and I don't get to complain that I didn't get to do any of those things because I am alive."
The FSU commencement was August 2, 2014 (I've provided a link to the commencement it is 32 pgs)
Florida State University Commencement Ceremony Summer 2014 | DigiNole
Hope that helps with timelines.

That’s before the murder. Was that the birthday gift?
I think it’s a possibility there was to be another attempt closer to his birthday when W and kids were in Miami.
Wendi said the trip was her gift to her father. She mentioned it on the stand.

Can you attach a time stamp for her mention of trip with father? " where WA said to Det Isom about father's birthday trip? I don't want to listen to the whole thing again, again & again. Thank you in advance.
I spent last night cataloging info about the Machu Picchu trip and am providing links from WA's podcast 2015. Her story is Episode #6: click on start arrow in the laptop drawing to listen
"I was a professor at Florida State University College of Law. I was so proud to be a public interest lawyer and a mentor to my students. The novel I wrote about my client's stories had just been chosen as the common read for all first year students at FSU. In August I was supposed to be the commencement speaker and then I was supposed to take my brain cancer surviving, just turned 70 father on a trip to Machu Picchu and I don't get to complain that I didn't get to do any of those things because I am alive."
The FSU commencement was August 2, 2014 (I've provided a link to the commencement it is 32 pgs)
Florida State University Commencement Ceremony Summer 2014 | DigiNole
Hope that helps with timelines.
She also mentioned the trip at the trial.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ms.Priss74