Found Deceased FL - Jabez Spann, 14, Sarasota, 4 Sept 2017 *reward*

Mother of Jabez Spann wants justice for her son
Jabez Spann, who vanished in Sept. 2017, was found Saturday by a man repairing a fence in Manatee County.

February 20, 2019

"SARASOTA — The mother of Jabez Spann wants justice for the moment her son knew he was going to die.

Looking down and pausing several times to gather her thoughts Wednesday, Tawana Spann directed comments made outside her mother’s house — the home where Jabez was raised — to those who killed him.

“Those last moments that you caused him — that you did to him when he was helpless and he couldn’t call on anybody — that’s what I want to see justice for,” said Tawana Spann.

She has slept little since receiving the news Tuesday that her son’s remains were found in rural Manatee County. “That’s what I want them arrested for. That moment that he couldn’t call or talk to anybody.”..."

Mother of Jabez Spann wants justice for her son

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Timeline: Remains of Jabez Spann found in Manatee County after he was missing for more than a year (with clip)
The teen's family said Jabez Spann might have witnessed a murder before he disappeared.

February 20, 2019

"SARASOTA, Fla. — The remains of teen Jabez Spann, who has been missing for more than a year, were found last weekend near Interstate 75 in Manatee County.

Sarasota police gave the news to Spann's family Tuesday evening before making a public announcement. Spann was last seen Sept. 4, 2017, near 22nd Street and Palamadelia Avenue in Sarasota.

Here's what we know about Jabez Spann..."

Timeline: Remains of Jabez Spann found in Manatee County after he was missing for more than a year

TMCPIES3XVHJFLBIOJUWQRDGVA.bmp

PALMETTO (WWSB) - A memorial has been set up for Jabez Spann. It features a big cross with flowers surrounding it and it can be seen as people drive by on a road in a rural section of Manatee County in Palmetto just West of I75. It’s the place where a man working on a fence line Saturday afternoon found the remains belonging to Spann. Here’s an excerpt from the 9-1-1 call.

911 Operator: Tell me exactly what happened?

Caller: We’re out here in the pasture and had found what appears to be a human skull and some bones.”

The remains were tested by a forensic dental expert and Sarasota police say they did match Spann. The 14-year-old was last seen in the Newtown area of Sarasota back in September of 2017.

Memorial set up at the spot where skeletal remains of Jabez Spann were found in Palmetto

RIP Jabez :(

Murder victim's aunt believes Jabez Spann's death is connected

SARASOTA, Fla. — While Jabez Spann’s family mourns his death and plans his funeral, some in the community believe his disappearance is connected to a local murder case.

The murder victim’s aunt says developments in her nephew’s murder case have been slow and it may be because a crime-fighting tool in the neighborhood may have missed crucial evidence.
A memorial marks the area where Jabez Spann’s skeletal remains were recently found in Manatee County. He disappeared on Labor Day 18 months ago.

Teresa Richardson says she knows why he died.

“He witnessed a murder,” she said.

The murder she refers to is her nephew Travis Combs. His body was found in the lot next to her home right outside her bedroom window one week before Jabez disappeared.

“When he walked here to go to his grandmother’s house, he witnessed the murder that took place here," Richardson says. "He said, 'Oh my God, y’all shot that man.' That’s exactly what he said. He started talking. Because he talked that’s what cost him his life.

Murder victim's aunt believes Jabez Spann's death is connected

Mar 2, 2019

SARASOTA — His pearl-and-gold coffin was topped by football helmets and jerseys — palpable reminders of the young man whose skeletal remains were finally discovered along a remote Manatee County road two weeks ago.

But the calls from the pulpit were for Jabez Spann’s memory to live on in a broad movement for community participation and for answers to vexing questions about how a 14-year-old could vanish seemingly without a trace.

“If you want to be godly, if you want to be manly, you must come forward and tell somebody,” the Rev. Edward L. Quary told roughly 300 people packed into Truvine Missionary Baptist Church of Sarasota on Saturday. “The time of knowing what happened and not telling what happened is over.”

Infused with Scripture and song, the funeral was a mix of intimate reflections and a call for change across the community.

People from all walks of life came to the service, some in pumps and dresses, others in jeans and white T-shirts bearing Jabez’s image. The mourners came from North Port, Palmetto, Bradenton and Sarasota; old and young, even some infants.

Read more: Amid mourning for Jabez Spann, a call for change

Mar 02, 2019

More than 100 people packed the Truvine Missionary Baptist Church for the service. There wasn't a dry eye in the place.

They said Jabez was more than just a 14-year-old boy from Sarasota. He was a son, a grandson, a cousin, a nephew and a friend full of love.

His 14-year-old friend CJ broke-down talking about how Jabez always had his back.

"Anytime somebody picked on me, he was there. I just want to say thank you."

The family said they are now going to focus on getting justice.

"The lord still sits high and looks low. He will be searching to bring this to justice," said Moore.

'He's going to be so missed,' family and friends of Jabez Spann say final goodbyes at funeral, pray for justice

Mar 02 2019

“It’s just sad that he really is gone, I just don’t believe it," said Deandre Higdon, who's known Spann since they were little kids.

Higdon honored his friend at the funeral with a praise dance.

“When we were dancing he used to always be the one to do like flips and whatever," Higdon said. "It was just such a fun experience with him, and I just, I miss him.”

To his classmate Charles Jackson, he was a protector.

"He stood up for me a lot," Jackson said. “Anytime someone picked on me, he was there. And it’s sad, because I wanted to say thank you one more time, but he’s not here for me to say thank you."

Friends and family hold funeral for Jabez Spann

March 2, 2019

“The last year and half has been very difficult and today obviously is very difficult," said Morre. "My heart goes out to his mother, grandmother and all of his family, to his classmates who knew him and loved him.”

Jabez disappeared back in September of 2017 around the Newtown area at the age of 14 and he was missing up until two weeks ago, when his skeletal remains were found in a rural area of Palmetto. Even though there is now some closure, there is a search for answers as to what happened.

“I really want justice, it’s just sad that he really is gone, I really don’t believe it,” said Higdon.

Today’s funeral ended with doves being released into the heaven’s on this beautiful March day. Jabez Spann’s final resting place has not been disclosed.

Sarasota police continue their search for Jabez Spann’s killer. If you have any information that can be helpful, you’re being asked to contact police immediately.

Family, friends and the community gather for the funeral for Jabez Spann

Family of boy found dead after being missing for 2 years creates charity in his memory

September 4, 2019

SARASOTA, Fla — Jabez Spann might be gone, but his friends and family are making sure the teen is never forgotten.

They've created a nonprofit in his memory: The Jabez Spann Foundation. The foundation's first event, called "Peace-ing the Puzzle" is set for next weekend.

The foundation aims to act as a resource for families of missing children.

Family of boy found dead after being missing for 2 years creates charity in his memory

I don't know how I missed this! :(
I've followed Jabez's case since he went missing. I just watched a YT video about him in the last 2 weeks and looked for an update. I'm sorry I missed seeing this at the time and am so, so sorry this was the outcome (although really not unexpected).
I'm hoping LE are making progress in the case and there will be justice for Jabez soon!

I remember reading about Jabez Spann finally being found - and deep down I knew he was gone for good. He was a nice looking boy, someone who had potential, but unfortunately was in the wrong place at the wrong time. So it was good to hear his family and friends started a charity in his name.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back