Identified! FL, Jacksonville, Skeletal Remains, UnK age, Utsey Road area, 11 July 2019-Corbin Odell Johnson

Cagle

Reaction score
Officers with the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office are investigating after a man came across skeletal remains in a rural area of Northwest Jacksonville on Thursday evening.

The remains were found around 6:10 p.m. in a wooded area of Utsey Road. According to the Sheriff's Office, a man was working outside a home when he came across the remains and called police.

Homicide detectives responded to the scene and they believe the remains are human, the Sheriff's Office said.

Joseph Cummings, the man who found the remains, said he was clearing land with a brush hog when he made the grisly discovery.

"I hit a plastic bag, so I backed up a little bit to get the plastic bag from my mower and glanced over and happened to notice there was a skull laying there," Cummings said. "I just shut everything down. Shut my tractor down. Walked away from it."

The medical exmainer is testing the remains to determine the identity. It's unclear how long the remains were there.

Police officers planned on being at the scene throughout the night.

Man finds human remains while clearing land in wooded area

Last edited:
Law enforcement dogs could be seen searching a rural area of Northwest Jacksonville the day after skeletal remains that police believed to be human were found in the woods.

Sky 4 aerials showed at least two cadaver dogs and multiple homicide detectives off Utsey Road near the intersection of Pritchard and Imeson roads.

Law enforcement dogs search wooded area where remains found

Foul play suspected in discovery of human remains in wooded area

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - Foul play is suspected in the discovery of human remains in a wooded area of Northwest Jacksonville, the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office said Friday.

Snip

Lt. Craig Waldrup said at a news briefing Friday afternoon that they believe there is only one set of remains, though it's still unclear how long the remains have been there. He said foul play is suspected because of the way the body was positioned.

The discovery could be tied to a cold case investigation, but Waldrup would not say which one.

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - Foul play is suspected in the discovery of human remains in a wooded area of Northwest Jacksonville, the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office said Friday.

Snip

Lt. Craig Waldrup said at a news briefing Friday afternoon that they believe there is only one set of remains, though it's still unclear how long the remains have been there. He said foul play is suspected because of the way the body was positioned.

The discovery could be tied to a cold case investigation, but Waldrup would not say which one.

Interesting they think this could be tied to a cold case. There are ton of missing persons cases from Jacksonville, Fl. The Charley Project comes up with approx. 70.

Some more details and a blurry picture of the skull (WARNING GRAPHIC photo below text):

Joseph Cummings, who lives across the street, made the grisly discovery. He told News4Jax he was clearing land with a brush hog when he found bones wrapped around a trap inside a bag.

"I wound up running over a bag and when I ran over the bag, it uncovered all the bones," Cummings said Friday. "The bag was black, but the tarp was green. It was a green tarp inside of a black bag it looked like ... The body was wrapped in the tarp, and the tarp and body were put in a black bag."

He said he immediately thought to call the police.

"My first reaction was to stop everything and don't tear up anything more than I already have," he said. "The whole body was there. Ribs, femur, skull -- every bit of it."

Cummings added that he had just been hired last week to cut the grass and brush at the property.

"It was the first time I cut that place," he said.

view

Heather Elvis???

Just seen this thread, not yet caught up.

( Access denied to video of presser, as I’m following from the UK......please tell me if it contained important information).

First thought however.......could this be Heather Elvis...as appears to me to be directly en route from Myrtle Beach & Disney World ( forgive my geography if I’m wrong!)
Also ‘Skeletal’ remains, presumably not a recent ‘disposal’

Heather Elvis captured my heart, when she disappeared in December 2013.

I live in hope that one day she will be found, for the sake of her grieving family & friends, & that her murderers brought to justice for their abhorrent crime.

Last edited:
Interesting they think this could be tied to a cold case. There are ton of missing persons cases from Jacksonville, Fl. The Charley Project comes up with approx. 70.
Purely speculation here but I wonder if some of the other evidence they have found at the scene suggests that it may be linked to a specific cold case?

Last edited:
Hopefully this will bring some closure to the family, and it won't take months to get some answers. Also, hope the guy that was hired to clear the land in that area isn't plagued by nightmares and/or sleepless nights after finding these remains in such a horrific way.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back