GUILTY FL - Jordan Davis, 17, shot to death, Satellite Beach, 23 Nov 2012 #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
(Note, this assumes the first 12 are primary jurors, and the last 4 alternates. We are awaiting confirmation. Based on that clarification and those assumptions, the jury appears to be comprised of 5 men (one of whom appears Hispanic) and 7 women (2 African Americans, and one Asian American).

1392308946000-juror-revise-3.JPG

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/story...2014/02/12/jurors-michael-dunn-trial/5422539/

The list I've been looking at shows juror 3 as having 11 children, not "many". Maybe different MSM outlets put out there own lists?

BTW, if I were a juror no one would ever hear from me. No one seems to be happy with the verdict. I've lost what I thought was a good friend because I think he's guilty.

The list I've been looking at shows juror 3 as having 11 children, not "many". Maybe different MSM outlets put out there own lists?

BTW, if I were a juror no one would ever hear from me. No one seems to be happy with the verdict. I've lost what I thought was a good friend because I think he's guilty.

Maybe that's the way the jurors answered during voir dire.

I don't know if people here caught it, but a TV person said that there were loud voices coming out of jury room. Can't wait till someone talks. Especially if there were strong feelings.

Maybe one of the jurors will find us here. :seeya: It's happened before.

I would love to know the breakdown in votes. I'm thinking there were 3 camps... 1st degree, 2nd degree and maybe a couple for acquittal (maybe Juror 9 - lots of people were distressed by his reactions per media).

I've never been on a jury and would find it interesting. I am sadly in the minority. A lot of people with sound judgement try hard to get out of duty. :sigh:

BBM

In one of the early calls to Rhonda, a week after his arrest, MD made the comment he hadn't had a drink in x amount of days. Rhonda commented she had been drinking a lot of wine, enough for both of them.

Makes me think any number of things about the couple's alcohol consumption.

I think they drank very regularily...she did indicate that in an interview...I don't think he was fall down drunk that day...he probably had a very high tolerance...we don't have a clue what drugs he uses and LE felt no need to check it out.

Maybe one of the jurors will find us here. :seeya: It's happened before.

I would love to know the breakdown in votes. I'm thinking there were 3 camps... 1st degree, 2nd degree and maybe a couple for acquittal (maybe Juror 9 - lots of people were distressed by his reactions per media).

I've never been on a jury and would find it interesting. I am sadly in the minority. A lot of people with sound judgement try hard to get out of duty. :sigh:

If one were to look at local stereotypes, Arlington is an area many AA's have moved to over the last couple of decades. And, there are many white residents still unhappy about that.

The westside is generally considered the area with the most white racists (red-neck country) where it's not unusual to see rebel flags flying. Well, actually that's not unusual anywhere in north Florida.

JMHO, of course.

Don Lemon is all over this verdict. I believe he had a very bad experience in the past...he is really invested in getting justice for Jordan. JVM seems to be working today too. I guess HLN's budget won't let them do anything other than pretaped shows.

I have to say I am appalled at the number of people who think it's ok to comment all over the internet who have such a lack of knowledge, even the press about this case!! It's got me just wanting to bang my head on the keyboard

Many opinions that are strongly felt about cases that receive wide media coverage are formed simply by reading an article or two.

Thankfully most members here choose to educate themselves about the facts of the case before commenting or forming their opinions.

Out there its the wild wild west rather than world wide web - just my own.

I have to say I am appalled at the number of people who think it's ok to comment all over the internet who have such a lack of knowledge, even the press about this case!! It's got me just wanting to bang my head on the keyboard

LOl. Drives me nuts. I read a new story yesterday on HLN that said the couple fled to the bed and breakfast 40 miles away in St. Augustine.

IMO, Dunn was angry not frightened when he fired those three bursts into the Durango. His actions from beginning to end (arrest) are reckless not fearful. But I think in time, he has come to believe his own fiction. Perhaps he's a self-serving, self-centered sociopath, or perhaps it's the only way he can live with himself. I can understand the self-delusion. But I just can't understand anyone else falling for it.

I agree. Well said.

I'm so flippin mad right now.....some toolbox on Facebook commented on my friend's post, my friend saying basically it is yet another gross miscarriage of justice, and this guy responds saying this was a CREATED EVENT, a made up scene, and called me an idiot of I "actually believe" there were no cameras outside of the gas station. OMG.....people have LOST their MINDS in these days we're in!!

When I said MD is a racist jerk, I am called a "racist." (my profile picture doesn't have any hint of what color I am, but while I KNOW they think I'm black, I'm actually white as rice. And a Muslim, so I'm sure if they knew THAT their heads would explode from the combustible conspiracy theories that will immediately flow in).

Some days, I fear for the continuation of the human race.

LuLu,
I agree with you that MD is a racist- just read his letters and anyone can see that or at least I can.
This is what I feel about racism:

In order to end racism, I think you must not merely tolerate people who are different than you--but begin to truly honor, serve, and love them.

I think that race should not be used as a description, IMO. Not- you have a ‘black politician,’, but you have a ‘politician,’ not- you have a ‘black movie,’ but you have a ‘movie.'

The problem, IMO, is that if parents do not talk to their kid about race and how to perceive people that are 'different from them', they would simply form their opinions based on whatever [right or wrong] they gather from society.

If you were to take two three year old children, one black and one white, and sit them in a room alone with their favorite toys etc., they would play together without any regard for their skin color. This is, IMO, because they are too young to understand racial differences nor have they been directly or indirectly taught to treat people of a certain race differently.

I think the media, family opinions, friends’ opinions and even the country’s history influence that once unbiased kid’s perspective of people who are a different race and some children are directly taught to view people of another race differently. In addition, IMO, the country’s racial past has resulted in differences among the races that a person growing up in the U.S. can’t help but notice.

I am also "white", but because my parents were immigrants from Italy, our family was discriminated by others. I have been made to feel that I wasn't "good enough" and different than others, so I personally know what discrimination is. I hate racism and the discrimination of people in our society.
The human race will continue, but on what terms is perplexing to me.

I hope what I have taught my sons- that everyone is equal when it comes to race, we are all humans struggling to live good lives- will make some kind of difference (even if it is just 2 men in this world).

Just a little rant and just IMO.
Thanks for reading. It's been bugging me.

Has anyone found the motion (or complaint or whatever) filed by MD that was mentioned by Judge Healey after the jury was dismissed regarding jail phone calls or something? The judge said that he didn't know if Cory Strolla would be involved with that, but has anyone found it under motions filed?

[Originally Posted by RANCH View Post
Does prolonging the criminal justice process with little change in the time the killer is incarcerated help the family to "come to terms with their loss"?

That's my question.
----------------------------------

QUOTE=Zuri;10241146]I can only speak for myself. For me, they were separate issues. I wanted the _________who killed my brother to rot in jail and go to hell. They were sentenced to LWOP. One died in prison and the other one is still serving. The DP was in the table and the shooter pled out with the permission of our family. The DA asked us what we wanted to do. Justice was served according to the law.

Coming to terms with our loss? Never. I miss my brother every single day. If coming to terms with his death means helping others, honoring my brother, advocating for change and laws that protect others, then I would say yes. Accepting he is dead? Yes. Pain? Yes Watching my mother grieve and weep at the kitchen sink? Heartbreaking.

Life does go on. But we are forever changed. I hope you understand what I am trying to say. Tears are rolling as I write this. Excruciating pain. For the last 32 years....But you would never know if you met me. You learn to hide it and you live your life. But you are never, ever the same.[/QUOTE]
-------------------------------

BBM This reminds me of something I learned in a psychology class that i took in college:

"We find a place for what we lose. Although we know that after such a loss the acute stage of mourning will subside, we also know that we shall remain inconsolable and will never find a substitute. No matter what may fill the gap, even if it be filled completely, it nevertheless remains something else". --- Sigmund Freud (1961)

I don't think there is "closure" in the regular sense for the victim's family at all and it never can be "closure" for them whatever happens to the murderer.
It must be very hard to seek justice, IMO.
I don't believe in the DP, but it is easy for me to say, as I never had someone kill my loved ones. What would I do if that happened? I would hope I could find some forgiveness. But maybe I would want the murderer to die just as my loved one died.
I can't imagine what horrendous torture the family of Jordan is going through right now. Justice has not been served, IMO, with the verdict that was rendered yesterday. Yes, MD is going to prison for a long time, but the family needs, IMO, a better verdict for their son. I hope the retrial will give them whatever justice they need.

(Sorry- I'm way behind in reading)

Zuri-- always :hug:

Soliguy, was Judge Healey referring to this mess here?

http://www.isidewith.com/news/artic...ers-emergency-hearing-in-loud-music-murder-tr

Because it sounds like this has been back and forth and back and forth since October 2013 but I cannot see where the appeals on this issue have stopped yet so that would mean it is still an open and ongoing issue?

And if a retrial is to occur, it becomes even more important IMO for this to be resolved satisfactorily as soon as possible.

ETA: here is link to one of the many hearings on this issue
[video=youtube;5ViRvQ6HrRQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ViRvQ6HrRQ[/video]

the docket http://www.morelaw.com/verdicts/case.asp?n=&s=FL&d=65679

one of Healey's rulings on this issue http://www.michaeldunntrial.com/files/82045455.pdf

an appellate court decision on the matter http://archive.firstcoastnews.com/a...order vacating Oct 24 adn Nov 19 orders.pdf

I can only speak for myself but if I'd been on the jury I would absolutely speak out if anyone else was voting NG. I'd call them out in a heartbeat, but that's just me.

To a certain degree O/T:

I am not doubting you, just jumping off from your post.

I know from personal experience that being on a jury can be surprisingly intimidating to the point that one might not behave in real life as they believe they would hypothetically.

I am a perfect example of this.

I was a juror on a federal case regarding whether someone was guilty of smuggling drugs across the border. The man was caught red-handed at the border with the drugs hidden in his car. Not even the defense disputed that.

The defense was SODDI: his car had been in the shop, so smugglers planted the drugs there intending to have him followed across the border and the drugs retrieved afterward, all without the defendant knowing. This scenario not being completely unheard-of, as I later found out.

The defense presented no receipts or proof at all that the car had actually been in said shop, but we were told that this is typical of the way such transactions are conducted in Mexico in contrast to what we are used to here.

When we went into the jury room, I had no doubts whatsoever that the man was guilty and the defense's case consisted of nothing more than obfuscation and attempts to plant doubts based on no evidence whatsoever.

I figured (back in my halcyon days before I discovered Websleuths, LOL) that everyone else would see it as I did and we'd be out of there in a couple of hours.

Much to my surprise, I was in the minority for guilt! 9-3 as I recall. By the end of that day's deliberations, the vote for acquittal was 11 to 1 and I was the 1.

I was quite disgusted to see at least one juror who was willing to vote with the majority no matter what it decided, just because she didn't want to be there in the first place and just wanted to go home. The fact that a man's future was in her hands apparently wasn't an issue. :facepalm:

I held out to continue the deliberations the next morning. On the way home was the worst traffic jam I have ever seen in San Diego since I moved here in 1997 and all I could think about was how those other jurors must be cursing me stuck in that traffic because had I just given in, they would have already been home.

I was so distraught I hardly slept that night, I kept getting up and making notes to support my argument. When I presented these points the next day I was more or less shouted down. Not literally shouted down, people were civil, but I was so tired by that point that my thinking was so muddled I couldn't make a clear and cogent counterargument to them. So it became obvious I had a choice: cave in or deadlock the jury.

I am not proud of this, but I caved.

Besides being so tired from lack of sleep by that point that I couldn't even think straight to counter their arguments, I had also formed the impression during the trial that the accused was basically a good, honest person who fell into business difficulties and saw the drug run as a one-time opportunity to earn a quick infusion of cash to help alleviate his own financial woes.

So I rationalized to myself that he had learned his lesson and would never again try anything so stupid and not much would be gained by sending him to prison.

Also he was clearly not a hardened criminal; he looked terrified every day of the trial and was visibly trembling when asked to stand up to hear the verdict. Also his wife attended every day and his former employers testified to his hard-working, honest nature.

So although I felt he was guilty, I was intimidated by numerous factors to going along with the majority rather than being the one standout who deadlocked the jury. In fact, I just remembered that we sent a message to the judge saying we could not reach a verdict and he told us to go back and deliberate some more.

As I said, I'm not proud of that. I should have stuck with my guns. But in retrospect too I see that if my interpretation was correct, and he just did this to earn a quick fast chunk of cash as his one illegal act in life (he had no prior criminal record), nothing good would have been accomplished by sending him to prison.

Particularly also considering the drug in question was marijuana, which although I don't indulge in, I also I don't consider too harmful to society at large. Had it been meth, or a case involving murder, I like to think I wouldn't have caved so easily.

Long winded logorrhea just to say like anything else, one never knows what one will do in a situation until actually faced with it.

Thanks for reading to anyone who has made it this far. :blushing:

Thanks for sharing izzy.

Izzy, you are absolutely correct in saying that no one really knows what they would do in a situation until they are in it.

was Judge Healey referring to this mess here?

http://www.isidewith.com/news/artic...ers-emergency-hearing-in-loud-music-murder-tr

Because it sounds like this has been back and forth and back and forth since October 2013 but I cannot see where the appeals on this issue have stopped yet so that would mean it is still an open and ongoing issue?

And if a retrial is to occur, it becomes even more important IMO for this to be resolved satisfactorily as soon as possible.

Hmmm..... sure sounds like this could be what he was talking about. I didn't follow anything before opening statements. Thank you!

I would expect that the jurors are totally exhausted after so many hours of deliberation. I would hope they would decompress a while and spend time with their loved ones after the sequestration.

I'm feeling pretty sure that they all discussed when and to whom to talk since their decision not to speak after the trial was unanimous.

Also, I would hope they all had some time to do some research on the case and get some new information that the public at large had so they have an idea of what kind of reaction they would receive.

Then, there is the possibility of book deals to consider.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard