Found Deceased FL - Lane Graves, 2, Walt Disney World, 14 June 2016 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's no doubt in my mind that there will be much sympathy for parents who can afford a $500+night/hotel and every excuse will be made for why they were in the water (at dark) when signs say to stay out of it. It will be very different from the gorilla zoo incident, where everyone was out for blood.

Were they guests? I read it was unknown if they were even staying at the resort. Let me try to find that link.

Agree.

As I said above there will probably be no more accessible water ways. Everything will now have barricades, fences etc.
IMO, that's not going to happen. More likely Disney will hire their own wildlife patrol for the lagoon beaches. Fences aren't magical. (Said from a corporate point-of-view, not snarky.)

Also - press conference soon.

Never in my wildest nightmares worrying about things that could happen to my children would I think this could happen. I know nothing about alligators, and I wouldn't expect them unless I was specifically informed about them. There's a big difference between warnings of "no swimming" compared to the threat that alligators are around and that they feed at night.

Praying for a miracle for this little boy and his family.

Parents in Florida are well aware of the threat but Disney shouldn't assume tourists will be aware. :(

It's really just common sense. When you are in Florida, EVERY body of water is suspect. Even private swimming pools FGS. I can't imagine venturing into a lagoon, canal, non-supervised body of water in Florida. Is there really anybody that doesn't associate Florida with alligators? They roam everywhere, they don't care if it's Disney property or not. What were they thinking???? I can't blame Disney for this one.

Agree.

As I said above there will probably be no more accessible water ways. Everything will now have barricades, fences etc.

In my town, they lay large boulders along the shoreline to deter people from going in. It doesn't need to be offensive with fencing, etc.

This is so horrible. What a terrible tragedy for a family and their children that were probably having a lovely holiday together until this nightmare happened. I just can't imagine what they're going through right now :(

Just a question, have there ever been any previous sightings of alligators at that beach? Is it a man made beach there for Disney or a natural one? I know alligators are around the natural lakes in Orlando as i have seen them in the water when living there with my husband. I always thought alligators weren't as aggressive as crocs.
Maybe this is the first time there has ever been any knowledge of an alligator being in the water there, as there have never been any there before, if it fenced off and secured from any gators migrating there from outside of the resort?

well there was this :/
(I don't think anyone was injured thank goodness, but does go to show where there's water, gators can find it-even splash mountain!)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F1ZqrnJkQuQ

If Disney relocates gators as they see them---and I have every reason to believe they do---how many could there possibly be? They started searching immediately--how many "suspects" could there be within a certain radius of where this incident happened? Very odd that they have found no traces of the child. 12 hours later, and they have only found 4 gators nearby...

Live presser right now.

On my local news, but I will look for a link.

Were they guests? I read it was unknown if they were even staying at the resort. Let me try to find that link.

It doesn't matter, anyone (disney resort guests or not) can enjoy some of the "free" stuff at the resorts, people can come and go as they please, except enjoy the resort pools - that's a no no unless you are staying at that resort (no pool hopping allowed either).

Press Conference right now.

"We are still looking for the child"

"Disney is doing everything they can to make the family comfortable."

"It is a complicated operation. It is a manmade body of water, it is a sizable body of water"

Divers out right now, they may go back in. Using sonar now.

FWC: "No real update right now" Many boats, manpower, alligator trackers

"Disney has operated here for 45 years, never had this thing happen before."
Disney has a wildlife management system in place, who try to limit guest exposure to wildlife.

They know that it happened, and that it is a recovery effort.

Just heard on WDIV (Detroit) noon news that 7 alligators have now been pulled from the lagoon at Grand Floridian :eek:

One thing is clear from this thread alone; people interpret warning signs in different ways. I would think "no swimming" means don't get in the water, not even a toe. It's clear that many (maybe even the majority) think it means more than that.

Disney will obviously change their approach and likely their signs, but they've had people on that beach for almost 30 years - it's a horrible occurrence that hasn't happened in that time.
Exactly. I go to Yosemite and there is a waterfall hike that has an upper and lower. When you get to the top of the lower fall there's a pool of sorts. Says no swimming. Everyone swims there. A kid got swept away and obviously died :( It was tragic but the mom said she felt since everyone was in it that it was safe
And it was so dang hot that day it was too tempting.. Totally not the fault of Yosemite, I hesitate to say who the fault lies with, because the ultimate price was paid.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

attachment.php

This is the sign, for reference.
And that's zoomed in. It's quite short.

For context
attachment.php

These signs are everywhere, though. We've stayed at 4 different Disney resorts. Never once have I seen people venturing towards the water on a Disney beach. It's well known that you don't enter the water areas around Disney property.

These signs are everywhere, though. We've stayed at 4 different Disney resorts. Never once have I seen people venturing towards the water on a Disney beach. It's well known that you don't enter the water areas around Disney property.

That's a good point too. If no one is in the water--that means that most people do follow the signs and they are efficient---then why this family in the water? It's not like they could say "But everyone else was!"

Is Liberty lagoon connected to more than one water outlet? I don't thing the gator will be found. As sad as this is I don't believe every alligator spotted in the search should be killed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoRo