Found Deceased FL - Lane Graves, 2, Walt Disney World, 14 June 2016 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I totally agree. Why would WDW have bonfires and movies on the beach they made and not expect anyone to just put their feet in the water? Parents said 2 year old only went in about 1 feet of his legs. He was definitely not swimming. I have been to this beach. Have seen some adults swimming. We didn't care to but be we did wade into the water to cool ourselves off. I mean, really, it's a beach. How do you cool off with the ocean right there??

Exactly this. If you have events on the beach at night, no swimming signs (even lots of big signs) are not sufficient to warn people that they shouldn't be wading 12 inches from the shore (where, fyi, the water is at most 3 inches deep). People should think about how they see people walking up and down beaches right at the tide line/in the surf; that is much more akin to what this toddler and father were doing than "swimming." During the day, I would say you see 50+ people doing what this family was doing; at night, during an event, I bet there were at least a few others. Whatever warnings they give, this really was not unusual behavior for the area and no one warns you that it might be dangerous.

As I posted earlier, they still have boating, fishing, jet skiing, parasailing, wake boarding, water skiing on that very body of water. Anyone who sees this during the daytime hours would think that putting toes in the water "ISN"T SWIMMING".

A sign that says "NO SWIMMING" to me means there is no lifeguard. I would not have thought twice myself to put my toes in that water. Where we live, NO SWIMMING means no lifeguard, not that there is any danger to swimming outside of that. And if there is a danger, there are DANGER signs!

WHy does Disney have bonfires and movies on their beaches (I know they have the same at the Beach Club, where we once stayed) if someone puts their toes in the waters of WDW they could be attacked by an alligator. Why have these functions ON THE BEACH?!?

When I go to some beaches, there are warnings of jellyfish or sharks in the area, why aren't there warnings of alligators in the waters at WDW. And these "NO SWIMMING" signs are in English, what if someone doesn't read English!?!

I think Disney did not put up a WARNING ALLIGATORS or any WARNING sign because then it would "scare" off some people, while they are trying to be "the happiest place on earth".

Exactly. They don't want you thinking about negative things, they want you consumed with Disney Disney Disney. And I absolutely think they were foolish, if not downright negligent by hosting a movie night on the edge of the water.

I totally agree. Why would WDW have bonfires and movies on the beach they made and not expect anyone to just put their feet in the water? Parents said 2 year old only went in about 1 feet of his legs. He was definitely not swimming. I have been to this beach. Have seen some adults swimming. We didn't care to but be we did wade into the water to cool ourselves off. I mean, really, it's a beach. How do you cool off with the ocean right there??

Totally agree. My kids and I have waded in that water. As someone said before, the signs say "No swimming". Nothing about wading or alligators. Perhaps I'm just naïve, but I took the "no swimming" signs at face value. Where I live, I've never seen an alligator and it's not something that's on my radar. Until now, of course. My heart is shattered for these parents and I don't know how they will find the strength to keep on going.

I've only just seen this! I'm speechless, a friend told me and I instantly thought "what? That can't be true!?"

:(

Sorry I haven't caught up on this entire thread yet. I'm a native Floridian and for those who don't know, if an alligator wants something it will also come out of the water and go across land to get it. Their legs are very long, making them stand up very high and they run extremely fast. I always swam in lakes and there were always gators. If you didn't bother them, they didn't bother you, ever. The only times I've heard of this is when someone is feeding the alligator every day as some idiots apparently do. This is so rare you can't believe. I pray for the family who has lost their child.

Disney does not allow swimming in the lake at all.

Many people do not swim in lakes in Florida because of the gators.
Alligators can move very quickly when they strike.

They must have been tourist and not familiar with lakes/alligators.All Floridians know to stay away from lakes at night.

Even in the day! I was told never, ever go in their water. Deadly creatures. :(

I wonder if there were witnesses to this. NOT that I'm questioning the parents or reports, just curious if anyone saw something that could help.

ETA: Never mind, saw reports that their wasn't

I've become jaded.

It will definitely be interesting to see if the public blames the parents for not watching their child close enough, like they did with the gorilla incident.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There were posted signs that there was No Swimming Allowed in that area. The child was in "one foot of water" when he was grabbed. It is a terrible tragedy that it happened, but this could absolutely have been avoided.

One thing is clear from this thread alone; people interpret warning signs in different ways. I would think "no swimming" means don't get in the water, not even a toe. It's clear that many (maybe even the majority) think it means more than that.

Disney will obviously change their approach and likely their signs, but they've had people on that beach for almost 30 years - it's a horrible occurrence that hasn't happened in that time.

How much research should people do before they go on vacation somewhere? If people are so convinced that Disney is this magical place where nothing bad can happen to them, I can't imagine they would be happy about gigantic "alligator" signs everywhere. Considering this has never happened before, there has obviously been enough done by Disney and prior guests in the past. If they had signs about gators in the water, you would have a lot of parents complaining about how the signs are scaring their little ones. Disney really can't win in this situation. I don't think anyone is to blame but I disagree that Disney should've had huge flashing billboards everywhere you go to tell you about how gators are in the water. Why should Disney made a huge spectacle wondering guests about something that has never happened before, and anyone with a computer, could figure out that gators live in Florida waterbodies?

Playing in the water's edge/wading in the water a foot/12 inches from the beach -- not even remotely close to swimming.

no swimming usually means no wading either, but they should clearly mark No wading/swimming. No entry in water.

I've become jaded.

I hear ya...This place will do that to ya...

Idk..in this case, I think this was just a freak accident. I feel so bad for those parents.

no swimming usually means no wading either, but they should clearly mark No wading/swimming. No entry in water.

Yes. I agree on both counts. Now they will have to barricade every water way to prevent a future event.

I guess the signs should have said:

No swimming
No going into the water
Not even a toe
We mean it!

But what about people who decide to go into the water at night? Better make the signs have flashing lights too.

I guess the signs should have said:

No swimming
No going into the water
Not even a toe
We mean it!

But what about people who decide to go into the water at night? Better make the signs have flashing lights too.

Agree.

As I said above there will probably be no more accessible water ways. Everything will now have barricades, fences etc.

Was the child in 12 inches of water or was he 12 inches from the shore? I have seen both posted here.

It's interesting how Disney has not found the child yet. They've euthanized four gators and have been searching the waterbodies for 12+ hours. I believe they do a good job of relocating the gators so how many "suspects" could there possibly be?

I read that they have five children. Did any of the other four children confirm the story about the gator?

On MSNBC, they stated they were a family of 4. Mom, Dad, Baby (2) and a 4 yr old girl.
Last night, the Sheriff reported they were a family of 5, not 5 children, but he wasn't that specific, so it was probably an error.

Was the child in 12 inches of water or was he 12 inches from the shore? I have seen both posted here.
Last night, the sheriff said "about 1 foot in." I took that to mean 1 foot from the shore. I don't know if that is necessarily correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OwlEyes