FL FL - Lauren Brittney Dumolo, 29, Cape Coral, 19 Jun 2020

@Finlay would you please show me where it says the maintenance man made anonymous comments? This article from page 7 states "a man" Police work to trace Cape Coral woman's suspicious disappearance
We saw police canvassing the area and passing out fliers.

A man we saw talking to police didn’t want to be interviewed on the record but told us that the day before, Lauren asked him about available apartments, saying she “wanted to get out of the situation she was in.”

He said he again saw her the next day, on June 19, around 8 a.m. and waved at her as she was walking along the route from the park to her apartment.

Also refer to post 190 on page 10 No phone, no money, no trace of Lauren Dumolo: Where is the Cape Coral mother? - NBC2 News
Lauren’s boyfriend, Gabriel Pena, was one of the last people to see her. He claims he said goodbye to her that mysterious Friday morning before he went to work around 6 a.m.

gabriel-pena-1024x576.jpg

Later that day, he confirmed a maintenance worker saw her at her apartment complex off Coronado Parkway around 8:15 a.m.

Please note Gabriel said the maintenance worker saw Lauren. Please also note the maintenance worker never said anything.
I would actually cite what I think are the same news articles you have here to show that the media initially interviewed a party who didn't want to be named but who stated they talked to LD about available apartments and later reported seeing her around 8AM that morning. In the later news article the boyfriend was quoted as stating that it was a maintenance worker that saw LD at 8:15AM. While that could indeed be two different parties (where Party 1 was the one not wishing to be named, and Party 2 was the maintenance worker), I believe most saw that as being the same party and that the boyfriend was just adding detail as to who the anonymous person was. To add to that, I would also say that (in my own opinion of course) I believed not only that the anonymous person and the maintenance guy were the same people, but also that there to possibly be some animosity between the boyfriend and the maintenance guy. In the first anonymous statement it was stated that LD was looking for an apartment to get out of a "Bad situation". That could easily be assumed to mean a "Bad relationship". Whether or not that was the true intention of the statement is debatable. (Later info came out that it could also have simply meant that they couldn't afford the apartment after LD lost her job and her & the boyfriend were simply looking for a cheaper place.) However, the news article citing that initial anonymous statement also immediately stated the boyfriend's response as being,
“It signals to me that she’s scared of this man,” Paul said. “I have no choice but to think the worst right now.”
So initially the anonymous person could be seen to be calling into question the stability of LD's relationship and the boyfriend seems to be pointing a finger directly back at this person by claiming LD was scared of them and that their having claimed to see her makes him now "think the worst". After that initial exchange of comments by those parties, it would be absolutely no surprise to me if the boyfriend were to indirectly identify that same person as being the maintenance guy.
If there is a clear statement somewhere that states that the anonymous person is someone other than the maintenance guy, I haven't seen it yet. I did review those articles you cited as well as pages 13 & 14 here. If that's stated somewhere, I'm just not understanding it.

@Finlay your quote from above: However, the news article citing that initial anonymous statement also immediately stated the boyfriend's response as being,
“It signals to me that she’s scared of this man,” Paul said. “I have no choice but to think the worst right now.”

Paul is Lauren's father.

@Finlay your quote from above: However, the news article citing that initial anonymous statement also immediately stated the boyfriend's response as being,

Paul is Lauren's father.
You're right. I could have sworn I saw that quote attributed to GP rather than PD. (Now I'll have to go back and reread news articles and see if I got that from somewhere else - doubtful though. I likely just misread it.)
I'm still of the opinion though that GP "outted" the anonymous source as being the maintenance guy. Whether that was by accident or intentional is hard to say. It seems to me that he could have background info on how the parties involved all got along in the past and have reason to want to intentionally identify the maintenance guy, he could be trying to point the finger at someone else to take the spotlight off of himself, or it could have been an honest simple mistake. But until I see a credible source as stating that the anonymous citing around 8AM was different than the one GP claims to have been from maintenance guy at 8:15AM, I'm going to believe those are both references to the same sighting event. Even if it is somehow shown to be that the anonymous source isn't actually the maintenance guy, I believe there was only the one sighting of LD around 8 or 8:15 that morning, regardless of how we refer to that person.

I've been lurking here for a bit, and signed up because of some of the comments on here. One of the main refrains I see on here is why people don't come forward with information. Read the comments here about the neighbor and trying to tie him into it and you will see exactly why.
pikachu I think you make a valid point.

Long post and jmo

Those who argue: "Well, you don't understand the purpose of the website, which is to speculate" aren't really rebutting your statement, they are making your point for you. They appear to be saying: "Its about the greater good - who you harm and how you get there doesn't matter". Or: "We've got a free pass to snoop and create/spread speculative rumors - even if by doing so we may harm the reputations and lives of a few innocent people - because that's what the website allows and that's what the website is for". Well, imo, no it doesn't, and no it's not. And I think WS ownership would be the first to say so. That's why we have TOS.

The exponential growth of the Internet, the exponential growth in the amount of data available online, and the exponential growth in the monetization of online personal data collection (marketing and ad revenue related to traffic, clicks, and views of social media, news, blogs, podcasts, youtube, IG, and other sites) has created a wild west free-for-all online where privacy has almost ceased to exist and where there is little accountability for what a person says or does. Maybe that's good, maybe that's bad, but reputations can certainly be destroyed.

Despite the elimination of some of the worst offenders (like Topix Forums), the online world seems more dangerous than ever before. Fake news, agenda-driven reporting, fake SM, spam, anonymous rumor mongering, victim blaming, deception, hacking, revisionism, bigotry, phishing, fraud, doxxing, defamation, and many other unscrupulous and harmful things abound - and again, often with little or no consequence. I think this is a sign of the times and something that (on the internet anyway) will be difficult if not impossible to ever change (certainly not w/o severely restricting free speech). Maybe we shouldn't want it to, idk.

Is LE sometimes assisted by WS? I think so (more often than perhaps they are willing to admit). Have serious crimes (even cold cases) been solved on WS? Yes. Have some innocent people's reputations and lives been harmed? Unfortunateky, yes. I see both sides. I tend to think though that by using TOS and mods, WS does far more good than harm.

There are some very skilled online fact finders and good critical thinkers on WS, and imo most members are very conscientious. They want to help LE solve missing person cases and they seek justice for the victims of crime. But almost no WS'ers are trained and employed (and therefore held accountable) as LE professionals. Unfortunately there are also a small number of unscrupulous members who skirt or disregard TOS and like a thief in the night will use sarcasm or word play to disguise unsubstantiated accusations, bias, bigotry, or even hate - and then attempt to cover it all up with an exclamatory moo.

TOS is key, and mods matter. I think that's what separates WS from the rest. Like all things in life, it really comes down to what kind of person you are and how you treat others. Hopefully members of WS are continually asking themselves: Am I being fair minded? Do I have an axe to grind? Is what I'm about to post responsible? Could it possibly harm an innocent person? Is this how I would like to be treated?

But back to your point, clearly the growth and proliferation of amateur true crime sites and SM, combined with the exponential growth and availability of personal data online, has created an environment where fewer innocent witnesses and fewer family members (than ever before) are going to be willing to come forward - even if they wish to advocate for the victim. WS'ers may not like it (and may rightly feel that they are not as responsible for it as some others), but it's still a fact.

This is JMO

TOS is key, and mods matter. I think that's what separates WS from the rest. Like all things in life, it really comes down to what kind of person you are and how you treat others. Hopefully members of WS are continually asking themselves: Am I being fair minded? Do I have an axe to grind? Is what I'm about to post responsible? Could it possibly harm an innocent person? Is this how I would like to be treated?

This is really good to remember. Thanks for sharing!

No phone, no money, no trace of Lauren Dumolo: Where is the Cape Coral mother? - NBC2 News
Lauren’s boyfriend, Gabriel Pena, was one of the last people to see her. He claims he said goodbye to her that mysterious Friday morning before he went to work around 6 a.m.

Later that day, he confirmed a maintenance worker saw her at her apartment complex off Coronado Parkway around 8:15 a.m.

Please note Gabriel said the maintenance worker saw Lauren. Please also note the maintenance worker never said anything.

If you think about the fact that Gabriel made this statement, then how do we even know that the maintenance worker even exists.
Sorry, I'd meant to reply to this earlier. Valid question. I dont believe we've seen any reference to GP having retracted his statement so I believe we have a case of conflicting information and people would be left to make up their own minds about what to believe. Personally, (MOO) it makes some amount of sense that a person wishing to remain anonymous would try to retain that anonymity if someone were to identify them. So the note that "maintenance worker never said anything" is not surprising to me. Of course there is also the very real possibility that GP made a mistake or is deliberately trying to cast blame away from himself. I would hope that GP would have shared any concerns he had about any one specific person with LE if he does indeed have any. It sounds like LE has interviewed many more people that we're aware of so its hard to say what other input they may have about GP, the anonymous party, any maintenance workers (or workers or staff of any sort affiliated with not only the apartment building but possibly also the park or other nearby business), or other random neighbors. I'm certainly not trying to state that any specifi party involved in this is definitely a person we should blame for LD's disappearance. But I also don't see any reason to dismiss them either.

My apologies if it's sounded like I've been targeting any one party here. That certainly hasn't been my intention.

Well, LE could sort this out for us. But I think they keep it to themselves. Especially after 9 weeks of her missing.

In the Emily Noble case, the husband of Emily said there was a sighting of her the next morning. But not long after it was stated that the Police disregarded this because it was found not to be true.

That didn't happen in this case. That 8.15 am sighting has been around for quite some time. I couldn't find anything per LE commenting on this.

Deemed “suspicious” & changed status to missing persons endangered due to __??
I totally agree but do we know exactly what LE’s reason to change LD’s status at that point (on June 24) vs let’s say, after they found the shirt?
Detective Jones states in this article that the reason they “elevated Lauren’s case to endangered is because, when someone disappears voluntarily, they take their belongings, a wallet, a phone. In this case, she did not.“
Police work to trace Cape Coral woman's suspicious disappearance

It's frustrating though that it took until the 24th before LE realized she left all of that behind. Tla very important 4 or 5 days of search time was lost here.

It is, especially when taking a statement from the boyfriend and a quick search at the house would yielded these results. Her phone was right there.

I mean who goes looking for an appartment without a phone. That scenario could have been eliminated almost immediately.

Per SM: Southwest Florida Crime Stoppers if offering a reward up to $3,000 for information about the whereabouts of Lauren Dumolo, a Marco Island businessman added $5,000 to the effort increasing the reward to $8,000. We are still looking for other donors to help us increase the reward. If you can donate please contact Trish Routte at Crimestoppers at: troutte@sheriffleefl.org
Perhaps if someone was willing to donate a bigger amount we could put a time limit on the reward to get answers faster.

These yard signs purchased by Crimestoppers are being placed all over the community tomorrow to advertise this reward. The family is hopeful that maybe someone who knows something will call in and give some information that is going to be a benefit to detective Jones and to see if they can get any type of information that can help them get the answers that they need.

You can’t imagine what it’s like for the family going through so much pain that their hearts are numb. No family, especially a parent should have to go thru this. #BringLaurenHome

SWFL Crime Stoppers to distribute lawn signs to aid in search for missing Cape Coral woman
Southwest Florida Crime Stoppers said Wednesday that they will be distributing lawn signs to aid in the search for missing Cape Coral woman, Lauren Dumolo.

They would like to get all 125 signs out into high visibility areas in hopes that someone will have information on Dumolo’s whereabouts.

Lauren Dumolo, 29 is considered missing and endangered. Credit: via CCPD.
Several volunteers, as well as Dumolo’s father, will be putting the signs out on Thursday. The signs will be given out at 5:30 p.m. on Miromar Street near where Lauren lived near the Cape Coral laundromat.

It’s been 76 days since Dumolo was last seen on June 19. Crime Stoppers is offering up to $8,000 in reward money for information.

If you know anything about Dumolo’s whereabouts, please call Crime Stoppers at 800-780-TIPS.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
renenoelle
Back