Found Deceased FL - Madeline Soto, 13, Missing Child Alert, 13500 blk Town Loop Blvd, Orlando, 26 Feb 2024 *arrest* #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very sad that it takes a child being murdered to incite change.

moo

While I think it's a good idea to send absence alerts in the morning, this would not have helped specifically in this case, due to MS being deceased before school. It would have sped up figuring out the timeline though.

I don't remember what the distance limitation was. I remember playing Nintendo with friends on long school bus trips. I do think you had to be pretty close for a Nintendo to work with multiplayer. Connection was also quite finnicky.

my personal experience from what I can recall is the same room/visual sight of each other.

I just caught something I hadn't noticed before--that SS claims he accidentally did a factory reset on his phone. I got a new phone last week and it seems like it'd be fairly difficult to "accidentally" do a factory reset. I would think you'd have to intentionally go through the steps.
10 years ago, i had a problem with my phone freezing up, and i would have to take the back cover off and take the battery out and out it back in. One night, it froze up, i was tired and i took it apart etc. and put it back together and hit a random button by accident, then the case pinched down on the volume button and I accidentally reset my phone and lost all my pictures and cried bc I didn't have the cloud set up for back up. It wasn't easy to do, but it was a series of errors on my part!

I dont think SS reset was "accidental" though.

While I think it's a good idea to send absence alerts in the morning, this would not have helped specifically in this case, due to MS being deceased before school. It would have sped up figuring out the timeline though.
I'm thinking it would have helped had JS not known Maddie was deceased (which is a stretch, but could be possible). I think it will always be beneficial whenever a child doesn't make it to school in the morning. The only time it wouldn't matter IMO is if the parent already knew why the child didn't make it to school (sick, out of town, deceased).

10 years ago, i had a problem with my phone freezing up, and i would have to take the back cover off and take the battery out and out it back in. One night, it froze up, i was tired and i took it apart etc. and put it back together and hit a random button by accident, then the case pinched down on the volume button and I accidentally reset my phone and lost all my pictures and cried bc I didn't have the cloud set up for back up. It wasn't easy to do, but it was a series of errors on my part!

So... it sounds like the way to "accidently" factory reset a phone is to remove the battery and put it back in, hit a random button, then pinch the case down on the volume button. Yeah, SS did that "accidentally" the day Maddie was killed. *eyeroll*

It may not have prevented her death but it would have helped in this case, it would have made it a lot harder for him to get around looking for a place to hide a body. He returned home at 8:19am no-one knows what he did until he was caught on camera (well we don't, LE does) We know he was at the site where Madi was left, at 1:30ish. I'd imagine if Jenn was too tired to drive Madi to school, she probably didn't leave the house right away(spec) I dont know if Jenn was home all day or not, but he says he was. Where was Madi?

Last edited:
It is sad, Whats the reason they didnt call until the evening ? How many kids are absent in a day? I doubt enough that it would consume someone's day calling to notify ?
Personally I think the evening absence calls are more for logistical reasons, but cases like these (and Audrii Cunninghams for example) are pushing schools to alert parents for more urgent reasons such as Maddie’s absence. If that makes sense. In other words, the absent call system is not utilized as a “alarm” system, until things like these happen and they implement it. MOO.

It may not have prevented her death but it would have helped in this case, it would have made it a lot harder for him to get around looking for a place to hide a body. He returned home at 8:19am no-one knows what he did until he was caught on camera (well we don't, LE does) We know he was at the site where Madi was left, at 1:30ish. I'd imagine if Jenn was too tired to drive Madi to school, she probably didn't leave the house right away(spec) I dont know if Jenn was home all day or not, but he says he was. Where was Madi?
Just an aside....School districts have different absence reporting time to the state. The district must decide what time or what period that students will be counted absent which becomes a state record. I don't believe that there are districts that report students absent as soon as the first bell rings. Just my MOO from previous experience from Texas.

So how the heck does he tell JS your daughter is missing, AND oh by the way, I "accidentally" reset my phone that day. <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
Just an aside....School districts have different absence reporting time to the state. The district must decide what time or what period that students will be counted absent which becomes a state record. I don't believe that there are districts that report students absent as soon as the first bell rings. Just my MOO from previous experience from Texas.
I understand every state, even every country may be different. perhaps different ages make a difference also. Im in Canada, elementary kids ( unless called in absent) get a notification right away. I get a notification when the bus is late arriving to school on snowy days, I also get a text if the bus is late picking kids up. ( Im sure it's an automated system) Middle school may be different. I guess the district has to determine whats important about reporting for each age group.

Phones are different now , we can no longer remove batteries, ( unless its a flip ) I'd need to first unlock my phone,
then swipe a few times to find settings, tap it,
then scroll to find " general" and "tap it"
then scroll down to find the transfer or reset button, " tap it"
then press "get started", ( and I stopped there because I dont want to "accidentally" reset my phone) Thats 7 moves at least. Who does he think he is kidding? Certainly not L.E thats for sure.

So how the heck does he tell JS your daughter is missing, AND oh by the way, I "accidentally" reset my phone that day. <modsnip>
<modsnip: Quoted post was modsnipped>

Yes to everything you said there PLUS the flat tire.

If I couldn’t find my kid at 4:30 and the last creep who saw her is like, “yeahhhh, crazy day, I dropped her off in a parking lot, then I reset my phone and had a flat tire in the middle of BFE,” the news would not have caught cuddling per se..

<modsnip: Quoted post was modsnipped> Yes to everything you said there PLUS the flat tire.

If I couldn’t find my kid at 4:30 and the last creep who saw her is like, “yeahhhh, crazy day, I dropped her off in a parking lot, then I reset my phone and had a flat tire in the middle of BFE,” the news would not have caught cuddling per se..
and..... on top of all that the vape shop was closed... reminds me of a Daniel Powter song (bad day)

Just providing a slightly different perspective… south florida school reference…
If a kid is a few min late to first period (let’s say due to an early dentist appointment prior to school), they’re marked absent. You then get an alert stating your child missed one or more classes that day.
And another example… if your child is pulled into let’s say 4th period intensive math class during their regular math class period, you will get a call that your child missed one or more classes that day.
It’s really a logistical nightmare that needs a system revamp.
There are just so many outliers that can create a LESS sense of an urgency when getting those calls because you’re thinking they came in late or it’s because you forgot they had extra chorus practice during other periods bc recital is coming up.
Crazy to think about

Yes to everything you said there PLUS the flat tire.

Has it been reported that SS told JS any of that?

We know he told police that he reset the phone during his interview because that is in his arrest warrant, but I don't think LE would have had JS in SS's interview. I don't recall him ever publicly saying that he did a factory reset on his phone either.

I'm also pretty sure that the story about the flat tire only came about because someone else remembered seeing him and reported it to LE. If there was public evidence that JS knew about SS's flat tire, that would mean that LE was also aware of the flat tire, which they weren't.

I'm open to correction but I don't think these assertions are backed by facts.

I just caught something I hadn't noticed before--that SS claims he accidentally did a factory reset on his phone. I got a new phone last week and it seems like it'd be fairly difficult to "accidentally" do a factory reset. I would think you'd have to intentionally go through the steps.
IIRC, the courtTV guy calls SS, 'Mr. accidently-reset', I'm British, so the sarcasm is obvious and I chuckle.

Yes, it's not like you can accidentally click one button for that. Depending on his device, he'd likely have to click that button, select from a list of options, confirm that he wanted to completely wipe his phone, and enter his password to do so.

Couple that with the timing in which that occurred (around the time of Madeline's disappearance), and the content on his phone, and there's no doubt it was an intentional act of self preservation.

Fortunately it wasn't enough to save him from a life sentence in prison based on that content alone.
I still do not understand how a guy his age, who had 'OK' tech knowledge, thought that 'accidentally resetting' his phone was gonna fly with LE. Why did he think that was NOT going to raise the sus meter even higher?!

I still do not understand how a guy his age, who had 'OK' tech knowledge, thought that 'accidentally resetting' his phone was gonna fly with LE. Why did he think that was NOT going to raise the sus meter even higher?!
I think that was his only option at that point, as saying he lost his phone makes him look suspicious too. Maybe even more-so in his mind.

Although, and I hate to think about this because SS is so revolting, we have the kink factor.

Several people have come forward saying SS & JS were into something kinky, and that was the primary attraction between them.

I agree with you SS was hunting for a young child, probably a little girl. And if a woman let him move in and put up with his other crap (I mean the general weird not behaving like a typical adult stuff), then yes, I agree she probably was The One.

Even if his parents gave him money, he probably spent it all on pot and little man baby toys. JS probably paid all the bills. Yuck.
RBBM
Although it could be a factor IF JS is involved, the kink factor In itself is not a sure sign that she was. It could be anything. Something pretty tame could be classed as kinky to someone else.

Re: attendance alerts.

There are software programs that do this. I have friends who are elementary school teachers at a major school district in California and they have to electronically submit attendance (I think by 0920am?), via an app or iPad, and the system does its thing, calls each parent by 1030am.

For elementary and middle schools, we have gotten morning-of phone calls if kids are absent. High school is a similar automatic call but telling you which periods the child was marked absent, around 530pm.

It was telling to me that grandma Yolanda went on this soapbox first. She accused the school district of not letting her daughter know Maddie wasn't at school. I'm sorry but it was Jenn herself who didn't ensure that she made it to school to begin with on the 26th "she woke up very tired", even an automated call wouldn't have helped this situation!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500