Found Deceased FL - Madeline Soto, 13, Missing Child Alert, 13500 blk Town Loop Blvd, Orlando, 26 Feb 2024 *arrest* #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
SBMFF

I have a question about your post. Were the cases you saw where the autopsy photos have been shown to the jury/courtroom those of a minor that died of DV in FL?
Im not an expert but the legislation itself appears to be very new (less than 1 year ago is this article) so there are many cases found through a google search where autopsies and photos were shared.

My consideration was the Gannon Stauch autopsy photos (The trial was in Colorado but the autopsy in Florida) and the situation surrounding the YouTuber that obtained the photos from Florida and then sold them to their followers.

Being interviewed by police in person would be up to her discretion or her attorney if JS or her attorney even bothered to disclose where she’s at and why (I think legally the hospital can’t confirm whether she’s a patient). If her mother is designated as an emergency contact thru whatever hospital she would be at, I believe the mother could also advocate on her behalf if JS says yes or no to visitors. But ultimately I believe the choice would be up to JS. This is from my understanding as someone who has been on a psych hold in FL.

As someone who has been in that situation more than once, I can say that having visitors at the hospital can be an embarrassing experience that calls attention to yourself (obviously unless LE is in plain clothes) so I wouldn’t be sure that JS would be willing to do that…unless she didn’t care what anyone thought and wanted to maintain that she’s being cooperative. It’s possible her lawyer could be with her, but like I said, having anyone visit you in that setting (even your lawyer, for me it was family) can be a bit shame inducing even if you know you shouldn’t feel that way.

I will also say that the more times you’re on a psych hold, the more likely you’re going to be kept there for longer periods of time, or transferred elsewhere to undergo long-term treatment. If you’re not doing well in there, participating in group activities and you have ongoing thoughts of self-harm, the less likely the hospital will release you. I can’t say that I’d be doing very well mentally if I were in her shoes, esp with the scrutiny regarding what role she may have played in aiding SS or obstructing the investigation.

JS seems to have enough support from her family to manage a psych hold situation if this is in fact where she is… so I do hope that if necessary, she’s there and getting the help she needs.

Now let’s say she’s in there for months at a time…can a court compel her to testify? Not sure about that.
Thank you for all of this, it is very helpful to understand.

I know a little about this type of hospitalization, but only relating to younger patients in for a short stay to get a diagnosis and meds sorted, so really did not have the insight about what it might be like in terms of JS and this case.

Im not an expert but the legislation itself appears to be very new (less than 1 year ago is this article) so there are many cases found through a google search where autopsies and photos were shared.

My consideration was the Gannon Stauch autopsy photos (The trial was in Colorado but the autopsy in Florida) and the situation surrounding the YouTuber that obtained the photos from Florida and then sold them to their followers.
I was going to say that about Gannon Stauch, not only were they obtained by a youtuber, they were pirated by 1 more. ( for sure 1, maybe 2) who did the same thing, put them behind a paywall ( patreon)

Wait wait wait…. I just realized, in the statement JS provided to police she said she saw her daughter getting ready for school at 8:00 AM.

But on the 911 call, (JS’s sister??) the caller says Maddie had been missing once 8:00 AM. Why would that be when presumably Maddie was getting ready for school, which starts at 9:30 AM?

It’s Friday so my brain is oatmeal, but am I the only one confused by this?

Wait wait wait…. I just realized, in the statement JS provided to police she said she saw her daughter getting ready for school at 8:00 AM.

But on the 911 call, (JS’s sister??) the caller says Maddie had been missing once 8:00 AM. Why would that be when presumably Maddie was getting ready for school, which starts at 9:30 AM?

It’s Friday so my brain is oatmeal, but am I the only one confused by this?
I've been wondering that since the 911 calls were released. She can't have been missing since 8am if JS saw her getting dressed at 8am.

But then I realized it didn't matter overmuch, since we know neither of these statements is actually true, and Madeline was already dead at 8am.

IA…where are all our tax dollars going?? If budget is a problem, well then reallocate some money, move it around…idk. Incentivize people to sign up for the police academy. In DC, cops make 80k to start and get a bonus too…although I doubt FL would be willing to pay as much.

Is it too much to ask to have a small task force dedicated to missing persons so that these cases can be designated appropriately according to urgency?

We all know by now a faster response wouldn’t have changed the outcome but perhaps zeroing in on SS sooner could have led to the discovery of her body much faster.
It's generally not budget, it's the fact that no one wants to be police officers anymore. Even with incentives, departments are really struggling to recruit qualified people, even after lowering their hiring standards.

I think this would have looked very different had they had a frantic mother on the phone, which I think may have upped the priority.

Dbm.
"Action news 7" posting press conference from 3/21 on their YT channel TODAY, 4/5 , & confusing the heck out of us!!!!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240405_173537_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20240405_173537_YouTube.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
There are strict criteria for Amber Alerts to be issued, and they often don’t go out until officers have enough information to believe that the child is in immediate danger.
Thank you for info — I didn’t know that.

Don’t know if this is actually true or I’ve seen it too often on TV shows, but I’ve also heard that with teens (even age 13)/college students, police won’t consider a minor missing until 24 hours has passed because so many kids run away for a day or two, or will stay over at a friends home w/o telling parents where they are, or get drunk and pass out at a party, etc. If this 24-hour thing is current LE protocol and Maddie was chronologically a teen, well seems police might not have felt the urgency Maddie’s family did.

It’s awful it has come to this because in certain cases — some situations really need police attention quickly.

I am beyond shocked that the Kissimmee PD found it necessary to call a press conference today 3/5, Friday, in the morning. saying NOTHING and offering NO update at all. Better for them to just stay silent, I would think. She's literally repeating the SAME talking points!!!! Word for word.

I'm pretty sure that's just that station re-airing the previous press conference, and not a new one held today.

I'm pretty sure that's just that station re-airing the previous press conference, and not a new one held today.
I REALLLLLLLY hope it is, because it's just eerie....

OK YES. It is!!! What the....????? Why is this news agency posting a press conference on their channel from 2 weeks ago? Thank you

Last edited:
Thank you for info — I didn’t know that.

Don’t know if this is actually true or I’ve seen it too often on TV shows, but I’ve also heard that with teens (even age 13)/college students, police won’t consider a minor missing until 24 hours has passed because so many kids run away for a day or two, or will stay over at a friends home w/o telling parents where they are, or get drunk and pass out at a party, etc. If this 24-hour thing is current LE protocol and Maddie was chronologically a teen, well seems police might not have felt the urgency Maddie’s family did.

It’s awful it has come to this because in certain cases — some situations really need police attention quickly.
Yeah, that time period may have been true in departments decades ago, but is absolutely not the case now.

I think the reason this wasn’t treated as a priority, is that this happens countless times a day across America. Almost all of those cases are mixups, kids cutting school, or runways.

That’s not to say I wasn’t annoyed with the delay when I listened to those calls, but part of that is hindsight. I don’t understand why mom wasn’t on the phone, as I really believe that would have made all the difference in regards to the response.

Just another intriguing detail when it comes to her behavior.

I REALLLLLLLY hope it is, because it's just eerie....

OK YES. It is!!! What the....????? Why is this news agency posting a press conference on their channel from 2 weeks ago? Thank you
Yeah, a press conference would have been a big deal, and we wouldn’t have missed that here.

That's been my biggest hang-up with the theory that the mother was also involved. I understand the delay in charging HIM. But I don't believe law enforcement would let the mother remain free so they can "build their case". That case is useless if the mother does something drastic (read: self-harm) while free. The risks of allowing her to remain free outweigh the risk of prematurely detaining her. IMO.
That happens all the time. We follow cases on here where we know that law enforcement knows who committed the crime, and it takes weeks, months, or even longer for an arrest. This, despite enough evidence to arrest that person early on, on other charges.

I don't believe she's directly involved in the murder of her daughter, so any charges would likely be bailable. So you arrest her, completely tip your hand in regards to the murder case (the AA would contain evidence in that regard), and then she bonds out.

If she was involved directly, then the same applies in regards to tipping your hand. The evidence against her would relate to the murder itself, and thus, the crimes of SS. No bueno.

I expect murder charges against him will simultaneously come with any charges against her.

My uneducated guess is likely not, since FL has a law that autopsies of minors who died from DM cannot be made public. I found some info while looking to see if jurors would be able to see it.

(4)(a) The court, upon a showing of good cause, may issue an order authorizing any person to view or copy an autopsy report of a minor whose death was related to an act of domestic violence or a photograph or video recording of an autopsy or to listen to or copy an audio recording of an autopsy and may prescribe any restrictions or stipulations that the court deems appropriate.

5(b) For an autopsy report of a minor whose death was related to an act of domestic violence, any surviving parent who did not commit the act of domestic violence which led to the minor’s death must be given reasonable notice of a petition filed with the court to view or copy the autopsy report, a copy of such petition, and reasonable notice of the opportunity to be present and heard at any hearing on the matter.

(7) A criminal or administrative proceeding is exempt from this section but is subject to all other provisions of chapter 119 unless otherwise exempted. This section does not prohibit a court in a criminal or administrative proceeding upon good cause shown from restricting or otherwise controlling the disclosure of an autopsy, crime scene, or similar report, photograph, or video or audio recording in the manner prescribed herein.

I am not a lawyer either, but suspect for privacy that you are probably correct. As I recall, legal wranglings in Florida in attempt to get access to the late Dale Earnhardt’s autopsy report and records also had an affect on privacy and access to such records. MOO

It's generally not budget, it's the fact that no one wants to be police officers anymore. Even with incentives, departments are really struggling to recruit qualified people, even after lowering their hiring standards.

I think this would have looked very different had they had a frantic mother on the phone, which I think may have upped the priority.
And lowering the hiring standards is exactly what we don’t need.

Yeah, that time period may have been true in departments decades ago, but is absolutely not the case now.

I think the reason this wasn’t treated as a priority, is that this happens countless times a day across America. Almost all of those cases are mixups, kids cutting school, or runways.

That’s not to say I wasn’t annoyed with the delay when I listened to those calls, but part of that is hindsight. I don’t understand why mom wasn’t on the phone, as I really believe that would have made all the difference in regards to the response.

Just another intriguing detail when it comes to her behavior.
I agree that mom on the phone would’ve created more urgency. IMO. I also find it strange that she was not one of the callers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cellophane