FL - Man Shoots 6 at Yoga Studio, Killing 2 and Then Himself, Tallahassee, 2 Nov 2018

margarita25

Reaction score
Man Shoots 6 at Florida Yoga Studio, Killing 2 and Then Himself
Man Shoots 6 at Florida Yoga Studio, Killing 2 and Then Himself

“A man walked into a yoga studio in Tallahassee, Fla., on Friday evening and shot six people — two fatally — before killing himself, the police said.”

—-

Gunman kills 2, wounds 4 before taking own life in shooting at Tallahassee hot yoga studio
https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/11/02/us/tallahassee-fatal-shooting/index.html?r=https://www.google.com/

“There were indications people fought the gunman and some tried to save others, the chief said.“

——-

Tallahassee shooting: Gunman kills 2, injures 4 at yoga studio

“Tallahassee Police Chief Michael DeLeo told reporters Friday night that the gunman shot six people and pistol-whipped one other person before fatally shooting himself. The conditions of the other victims are unclear.”

LIVE UPDATES: 2nd victim dies in shooting at Tallahassee yoga studio
Updated: Nov 2, 2018 - 10:28 PM
2nd victim dies in shooting at Tallahassee yoga studio

“DeLeo said authorities are investigating possible motives. He declined to say what kind of gun the shooter had.“

——-

1_1541209655159_13424450_ver1.0_1280_720.JPG

1_1541202352773_13422659_ver1.0_1280_720.JPG

Police: 3 dead, including shooter, at Tallahassee yoga studio

“City Commissioner Scott Maddox was on the scene. He said on Facebook, "In my public service career I have had to be on some bad scenes. This is the worst. Please pray."“

—-

hot+yoga+shooting.jpg

Two dead, others injured in Tallahassee shooting

“Authorities say they have a tentative identification on the shooter but are not releasing it at this time.“

Last edited:
It hasn’t even been a week since the Pittsburgh Synagogue Shooting.
(Reference link:
PA - 11 killed, 6 injured in mass shooting at Pittsburgh Synagogue, 27 Oct 2018. )

In that thread I had asked who would be next. I guess this time it’s peaceful yoga practioners.

—-

I’m going to take a guess on this one based on recent research. We will see if I’m anywhere close:

White male in his 40s? Just testing my profiling skills here for the heck of it. We will see how it turns out.

ETA: Also wondering at this time if it will indeed turn out to be random or if the shooter had any connection to this studio or any of the victims.

Last edited:
It hasn’t even been a week since the Pittsburgh Synagogue Shooting.

In that thread I had asked who would be next. I guess this time it’s peaceful yoga practioners.

—-

I’m going to take a guess on this one based on recent research. We will see if I’m anywhere close:

White male in his 40s? Just testing my profiling skills here for the heck of it. We will see how it turns out.

ETA: Also wondering at this time if it will indeed turn out to be random or of the shooter had a connection to this studio or any of the victims.

Exactly. Another horrific, violent act -- in a place that is supposed to bring serenity.

Exactly. Another horrific, violent act -- in a place that is supposed to bring serenity.

As a practioner myself, the thought of being in the middle of a plank or dolphin pose and someone coming in and shooting is just surreal...Talk about being a sitting duck and nowhere to run.

Those poor folks. :(

ETA:

To go from such a moment of peace to...
(I might have to sit this one out for my own sanity. I’m not even caught up in the Pittsburgh thread...)

Last edited:
(Anxiously awaiting word if there’s a personal connection with the shooter or if this place was targeted “randomly”.)

Who’s the enemy this time? People minding their own business in downward dog?

Furious. Freaking narcissists...
(Wait let me not jump the gun here for lack of a better term at the moment—but seriously who is being “blamed” for the shooter’s problems this time? I’ll get off my rant)

Going to sit on my hands until more information comes out, nice to see you @rainynights and @cybervampira, but not under these circumstances.

As you know I’ve got a “3 case comparative analysis” that have been in the works in the Pittsburgh thread. If this turns out to be random then I will likely add this shooter as No.4 in my very small case study.
ETA: wth I’ll take the average age of the 3 in my like I said very small case study (there are sooo many shootings), again this is all a test out of my own curiosity.
(Note to find link with ages, they ranged from 40s to 60s)

—-
ETA: And it sounds like some of these people tried to fight back (baaad memories of 9/11 coming back as far as that goes)...this might have saved some lives in the studio?

I wonder how many people were in the class. There would likely be some strong and balanced people in there, clear and focused. How far into the class were they? What class was it?

ETA: Again waiting to see if the shooter knew the victim (domestic, employee, etc) before I start boring you to death my statistical analysis.

But ftr if the shooter did know any of the victims or had a connection to the studio then he will go in a subcategory, as with school shooters, because after all he is still a mass shooter.)

Last edited:
( Hi Spellzy :)
@Spellbound, longtime no see. :wave: )

Yeah, these mass shooting numbers are rising imo, and it’s not just because there is more awareness now with the internet I don’t think, (which we wonder about in parental child murder cases, etc). And like I said in the Pittsburgh thread, these numbers are just going to keep rising.

Everything is JMO.

—-

Any news on the condition of the injured victims?

—-
(I really want to catch up in Pittsburgh first, making some coffee.)

Condolences to the families of whoever died today in again, another mass shooting.

:candle: :candle:
:rose: :rose:

Last edited:
(Anxiously awaiting word if there’s a personal connection with the shooter or if this place was targeted “randomly”.)

Who’s the enemy this time? People minding their own business in downward dog?

Furious. Freaking narcissists...
(Wait let me not jump the gun here for lack of a better term at the moment—but seriously who is being “blamed” for the shooter’s problems this time? I’ll get off my rant)

Going to sit on my hands until more information comes out, nice to see you @rainynights and @cybervampira, but not under these circumstances.

As you know I’ve got a “3 case comparative analysis” that have been in the works in the Pittsburgh thread. If this turns out to be random then I will likely add this shooter as No.4 in my very small case study.
ETA: wth I’ll take the average age of the 3 in my like I said very small case study (there are sooo many shootings), again this is all a test out of my own curiosity.
(Note to find link with ages, they ranged from 40s to 60s)

—-
ETA: And it sounds like some of these people tried to fight back (baaad memories of 9/11 coming back as far as that goes)...this might have saved some lives in the studio?

I wonder how many people were in the class. There would likely be some strong and balanced people in there, clear and focused. How far into the class were they? What class was it?

ETA: Again waiting to see if the shooter knew the victim (domestic, employee, etc) before I start boring you to death my statistical analysis.

But ftr if the shooter did know any of the victims or had a connection to the studio then he will go in a subcategory, as with school shooters, because after all he is still a mass shooter.)
bbm

TPD says they responded to a shooting at the Hot Yoga in the Betton Hills Complex on Bradford Road around 5:37 p.m.
Two dead, several others injured in Tallahassee shooting

Per the company site, there appear to be two locations in Tallahassee. The location that seems to match the above article is the following:

Betton Place
1950 Thomasville Road
Tallahassee, FL 32303
Google Maps

As for the yoga studio schedule, here's a link: http://www.hotyogatallahassee.com/schedule-1

Although I didn't see any classes displayed for today's date that matched the above location. Doesn't mean there wasn't a scheduled class, but we may need to wait for additional details to be reported re: how many people were there, and what time the class began as I don't see that information listed there. Jmo

City of Tallahassee Police Department | 11/03/2018 1:00am (EDT)

Information about the shooting at Hot Yoga on Thomasville Road:

TPD Investigates Shooting on Thomasville Road

On November 2, 2018 at 5:37pm the Tallahassee Police Department responded to “Hot Yoga”, 1950 Thomasville Road reference to a shooting. Upon arriving on scene officers found multiple people suffering from gunshots wounds. TPD and Emergency responders immediately provided medical attention to the victims, who were later transported to a local hospital with non-life threating, and life threating injuries. The shooter was found deceased on scene, suffering from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound.

TPD’s Violent Crimes Unit was called to the scene and have assumed the investigation. A total of seven victims have been identified: six gunshot victims, and one pistol whipped victim. Sadly, two of the gunshot victims have succumbed to their injuries. Two victims are in stable condition, and three have been released from a local hospital.

At this time TPD has interviewed over 40 witnesses, and summoned Victim Advocates to assist those dealing with this senseless act of violence. The motive of this shooting is still unknown. Investigators are asking anyone with information about this case to please call them at (850) 891-4200 or Crime Stoppers at (850) 574-TIPS. This is currently an active investigation and TPD will provide updates when they are available.

Victims/Deceased:

Nancy Van Vessem DOB 08/08/1957

Maura Binkley DOB: 03/04/1997

Shooter/Deceased:

Scott Paul Beierle DOB: 10/06/1978

DrDaXXPW4AEna0v.jpg

City of Tallahassee Police Department | 11/03/2018 1:00am (EDT)

Information about the shooting at Hot Yoga on Thomasville Road:

TPD Investigates Shooting on Thomasville Road

On November 2, 2018 at 5:37pm the Tallahassee Police Department responded to “Hot Yoga”, 1950 Thomasville Road reference to a shooting. Upon arriving on scene officers found multiple people suffering from gunshots wounds. TPD and Emergency responders immediately provided medical attention to the victims, who were later transported to a local hospital with non-life threating, and life threating injuries. The shooter was found deceased on scene, suffering from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound.

TPD’s Violent Crimes Unit was called to the scene and have assumed the investigation. A total of seven victims have been identified: six gunshot victims, and one pistol whipped victim. Sadly, two of the gunshot victims have succumbed to their injuries. Two victims are in stable condition, and three have been released from a local hospital.

At this time TPD has interviewed over 40 witnesses, and summoned Victim Advocates to assist those dealing with this senseless act of violence. The motive of this shooting is still unknown. Investigators are asking anyone with information about this case to please call them at (850) 891-4200 or Crime Stoppers at (850) 574-TIPS. This is currently an active investigation and TPD will provide updates when they are available.

Victims/Deceased:

Nancy Van Vessem DOB 08/08/1957

Maura Binkley DOB: 03/04/1997

Shooter/Deceased:

Scott Paul Beierle DOB: 10/06/1978

View attachment 153823

Thanks rainy nights for these updates.

:(

This is too much. I can’t even read here right now.

So DOB 1978...that puts him at age (just turned) 50. right about average on my tiny 3 case study as anticipated (see above post re: 40s to 60s. It seems I initially estimated on the lower end of this range...

Last edited:
Thanks rainy nights for these updates.

:(

This is too much. I can’t even read here right now.

So DOB 1978...that puts him at age (just turned) 50. right about average on my tiny 3 case study as anticipated (see above post re: 40s to 60s. It seems I initially estimated on the lower end of this range...
If his DOB is correct, he just turned 40.

If his DOB is correct, he just turned 40.

(Dude how embarrassing here I am trying to do statistical math and I can’t get his age right!!!!!!

Like I said I probably need a break here for my own sanity.)

Ok so my initial guess was on point then. 40s (on the lower statistical range of my mini study)

The point of that guess was because of this: we often think of mass shooters as being younger due to equivocating them with school shooters statistically, when in fact, as I said in Pittsburgh, we seem to have a big problem with adult males as well. So my new train of thought over the years is don’t assume someone in his 20s (as I used to sometimes do).

—-

ETA: (Deliriously inserting CSI voice): Any known connection to the victims yet?

Last edited:
—-
rsbm for focus

Florida yoga studio shooting leaves 2 victims dead, 5 injured; gunman kills self
"There are indications that several people inside fought back, and tried to not only save themselves but other people," DeLeo said, which he said was "a testament to their courage."

The Tallahassee Democrat reported that a man who was in a nearby bar said people had come in looking for help and that they said a man in the yoga studio, called Hot Yoga, had been acting strange before he opened fire during a class.

The newspaper reported that one of the people who sought safety, who was bleeding from the head, told patrons that he tried to stop the shooter but the gunman pistol-whipped him before the shooter killed himself.

City Commissioner Scott Maddox was on the scene. He said on Facebook, "In my public service career I have had to be on some bad scenes. This is the worst. Please pray."

Police: 3 dead, including shooter, at Florida yoga studio
Tallahassee Police Chief Michael DeLeo told reporters Friday night that the man shot six people and pistol-whipped another after walking into the studio, which is part of a small Tallahassee shopping center.

DeLeo said police are asking for anyone who saw something unusual around the time of the shooting to contact police. He said the shooter acted alone and authorities are investigating possible motives. He declined to say what kind of gun the shooter had.

Melissa Hutchinson said she helped treat a "profusely" bleeding man who rushed into a bar after the incident. She said three people from the studio ran in, and they were told there was an active shooter.

The people who came in were injured, including the bleeding man who was pistol-whipped while trying to stop the shooter. They told her the shooter kept coming in and out of the studio. When he loaded his gun, people started pounding the windows of the studio to warn people.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truecrime-hazeleyes
Back