FL FL - Marjorie 'Christy' Luna, 8, Greenacres City, 27 May 1984

A Palm Beach County Sheriff announced Monday his department recently received a tip about where Marjory ‘Christy” Luna may be buried.

He explained there is a large police presence at a dig site along Swain Avenue, just north of Lake Worth Road and wanted the public to be aware of what was going on.

chopper-green-acres-cold-case.jpg

The dig site in Greenacres where officials are searching for the remains of 8-year-old Christy Luna.

A detective they have looked at four men who were in the area at the time of Luna’s disappearance as possible suspects, but there have been no arrests.

'Credible Lead' In 35-Year-Old Cold Case Of Missing Florida Girl Christy Luna
Is this directly behind the house? It is so hard to tell. On the news and facebook, it looks like they are digging on the front side of the house?

Digging completed in search for Christy Luna's remains

The dig was completed on Friday, Aug. 9 and the Palm Beach Sheriff's Office says it is only one part of the investigation.

Several bones were found, both large and small, said PBSO spokesperson. The large bones were identified as animal bones, not human. The smaller bones have not been identified, however, are not expected to be human. All the bones were collected and will be taken to Florida Gulf Coast University to be analyzed further.

A reward of $ 15,000 is being offered by Crime Stoppers of PBC for any information regarding this case.

Digging competed in search for Christy Luna remains

Bradshaw said the tip that led them to the yard at 265 Swain Blvd. came through social media shortly after his social-media team released a 19-minute documentary on the 35th anniversary of Christy’s disappearance.

Bradshaw called the tip “one of the best and most credible leads that we have got to date to solve this case,” but would not elaborate on who gave them the tip, what exactly it said or how investigators worked to verify it in the two months since they received it.

From Monday morning through Friday afternoon, sheriff’s investigators worked alongside a team of forensic anthropologists from Florida Gulf Coast clearing vegetation outside the home, shoveling dirt and methodically sifting through those piles, bucket by bucket, for any trace of the missing second-grader. On Friday, six members of the Cardinal Newman High School football team helped in the dig, too.

“I think we’re going to bring Christy home,” her mother Jennie Johnson said to reporters Monday across the street from the dig site. “We are going to bring Christy home.”

The investigation continues

Sheriff’s investigators have remained tight-lipped about the specifics of the search. However, a review of property records indicates it likely included a search of the septic tank, which sits on the southeast corner of the property. It appears the tank has been there since Guadalupe and Maria Martinez bought the property in 1977.

About 10 years ago, the couple’s oldest daughter, Maria Ruiz, and her husband opened that tank. They spotted a white, round object about the size of a volleyball at the bottom.
Florida 1984 cold-case investigation turns to yard where Christy Luna once played

The property last sold in Apr 2019: 265 Swain Blvd, Greenacres, FL 33463 - realtor.com®

Was someone afraid their secret would be discovered by the new owners and talked first? Or did a suspect pass away and a family member who always suspected that person decide to send in a tip? (Speculations only-- I'm so curious about this tip).

I hope they find Christy so she can be laid to rest properly. :(

Victor Wonyetye was the primary suspect, and according to a newspaper article printed in New Hampshire in 1992, eight to twelve inmates testified that he confessed to killing Christy. Unfortunately, that by itself wasn’t solid enough evidence for a conviction, and Wonyetye kept denying to Christy’s mother that he had anything to do with her disappearance up to his death in 2012. What I found interesting about this new information is that Nilda Velasquez, a friend of Christy’s, was interviewed, and she said that she saw Christy heading toward her house the day she disappeared. Witness reports before her testimony stated that Christy left the store before she disappeared, and Velasquez’s testimony lines up with that. Velasquez said that Christy called out to her and some friends and waved, and they waved back and continued doing what they were doing. The interview clip with Velasquez, which can viewed on YouTube, also points out that Velasquez’s house is roughly 400 feet from Christy’s own house. If her testimony is accurate, it means Christy was taken within 400 feet from her house.

When I was a kid growing up in the 70s/80s in New England, you weren't allowed in a store in your bare feet. It was the old, no shoes/no shirt/no service. Is that not a thing in FL?
The store was a little dump in the middle of an old neighborhood. George's I believe the name was. It was an old building. Nothing like a 7/11 or Circle K. Plus it's Florida. Nobody cared if a little girl had shoes on or not.

I used to spend summers on Swain blvd.... my grandparents owned some duplexes that are still there today. Anyways.... this case is haunting. I had a few things occur right there.... we used to walk next door to the Circle K (its named something else now) and over to Hoffman's. I was always so scared to head in the direction of that store. I literally would feel that sinking/scared feeling driving past it. I still don't know why my parents sent us there.....

I learned about the Wicked Deeds podcast a few days ago and listened to the episode about Tammy Belanger, the other girl Victor Wonyetye is accused of kidnapping. While it focuses more on Tammy, Christy is mentioned in it, and they mentioned that Christy’s clothes were found in a swampy area near her home, which is the first I am hearing of that. I am curious as to where that detail may have come from. Here is the link to the podcast for anyone interested.

I learned about the Wicked Deeds podcast a few days ago and listened to the episode about Tammy Belanger, the other girl Victor Wonyetye is accused of kidnapping. While it focuses more on Tammy, Christy is mentioned in it, and they mentioned that Christy’s clothes were found in a swampy area near her home, which is the first I am hearing of that. I am curious as to where that detail may have come from. Here is the link to the podcast for anyone interested.

Charley Project mentions Marjorie's body suit was found in the swampy area near the home. The owner of the site posts her sources for her material on each page, so I'm thinking she would have gathered her information from one of them.

1985 poem by Barbara Lewis 11 months after Christy disappeared.
If you have any information about the whereabouts of Marjorie “Christy” Luna who disappeared without a trace on May 27, 1984 from Greenacres, Florida please contact Detective William Springer 561-688-4013 or 1-800-458-TIPS.
May be an image of 1 person
We are the friends and family of Marjorie Christina Luna who disappeared with out a trace on May 27, 1984 from Greenacres, Florida. More…

Yes, she does seem pretty diligent, and also mentioned the article that reported Wonyetye’s confession to inmates, which I feel tends to fly under the radar in many cases. The part about the bodysuit being found just happened to be a detail I hadn’t heard before, or else had forgotten about.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mamabee1221
Back