GUILTY FL - Michael Keetley accused of murdering Juan, 28, and Sergio Guitron, 22, Nov 2010 *mistrial in 2020*

See what the state brings today, need to dig in though with something solid. The first time around for MK ended in a acquittal 10 to 2 and the defense this time around seems to be poking a couple holes in the states case.
Defense also poked lots of holes during first trial in 2020. Hence, a mistrial with 10 of 12 jurors voting for acquittal.
Some reference:

Published May 14, 2020
TAMPA — Lyann Goudie had a moment at the end of a recent trial that was the stuff of TV courtroom dramas.

The defendant was Michael Keetley, accused in a 2010 shooting spree the state theorized was mistaken revenge for the robbery of the ice cream truck he drove for a living. Two men were dead, four others wounded. Goudie had championed his case for nine long years, picking away at inconsistencies in ballistics, eyewitness accounts and other evidence.

In February, at last, came the end of his three-week trial. A veteran prosecutor gave only a brief closing argument, strategically reserving the bulk of his final words to the jury to rebut whatever Goudie would say.

But she said nothing.

Goudie told the judge she would not give a closing argument, leaving the state with nothing to rebut, and effectively ending the trial right there.

The jury was unable to agree on a verdict, an outcome that could be viewed as a victory for the defense.
[...]

FL V. KEETLEY (2020)​

Closing Arguments & Jury Instructions

ICE CREAM MAN MURDER TRIAL | FL v. Keetley Defense Opening Statements
On Feb 6, 2020, Defense Attorney Lyann Goudie delivers the opening statement for the defendant, Michael Keetley.

Defense in Ruskin ice cream man trial questions investigative steps, leads not pursued
March 17, 2023
TAMPA — About two weeks before someone shot six men, killing two, at a home on Ocean Mist Court in Ruskin, sheriff’s deputies took a report of a drive-by shooting at the same address.
But detectives didn’t look into whether the first shooting might have had anything to do with the second, even as they were aware of gang activity in the area.
[...]

Some details about Judge Sabella . . .
He has a Psychology degree and was recently elected Chief Judge of the Thirteenth Judicial Circuit.

Judge Christopher Sabella Elected Chief Judge of the Thirteenth Judicial Circuit​

March 01, 2023

The Honorable Judge Christopher Sabella was elected on February 28 by his colleagues as the next Chief Judge of the Thirteenth Judicial Circuit. [...]

With a two-year term that begins on July 1, 2023 [...]

Sabella, a Tampa native, graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Psychology from Florida State University in 1989, and received his Juris Doctor from John B. Stetson College of Law in 1992.
[...]

March 17, 2023
[...]
In grueling, hourslong testimony, attorney Richard Escobar zeroed-in on mistakes in the investigation led by Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office Lt. Jose Lugo.

Escobar attempted to show Lt. Lugo led a sloppy investigation and failed to record his interrogation of Keetley.
[...]

I commend the Judge for his apology. Moo
LOL... The jurors even had a laugh during Fridays trial proceedings and ole Judge taking it all in and shutting down the lawyers when the circus balloons start to float about.

I have had this trial on all week as I do housework during the day. I may not be giving it my full attention, but I always have it on, even during the "slow" moments. Which is where it really shines. It has been comical.

It has not appeared to me that either side has been able to hire independent experts, so they have each been leveraging witnesses to provide technical details. This had blown my mind. At one point, a witness was asked what caliber bullet goes in a .22 gun. "Uh...a .22?" replied the witness. That was the machinst dude who was Keeley's neighbor. The defense mentioned that the machinist was a suspect (according to the defense) while the guy was out of the room.

Another time it took hours of confused arguments before the police digital forensics girl was called and explained to everyone about cached images and non-relevant search results. In the opening arguments, the prosecution said Keeley had searched for the guys thousands of times and had thousands of obsessive images. Then she showed Keeley's pitiful lonely man evening of listening to Live365 and browsing PlentyOfFish while shopping for dirty old trash guns on the night of the shooting. I'm not sure those things were fuel for a murderous rampage. But he does seem weird, so maybe they were.

And then I don't even know what to make of the police investigation. The Lt. was overwhelmed with work and didn't pay attention? Or he didn't care? Or he just wasn't good at his job?

Keeley easily could have done it, but I have not seen the evidence yet. The whole case has been so bungled. ALL my opinions, because thanks to sloppy work, we don't know much here...

Keetley’s defense maintains he did not commit the shootings, saying he’s been wrongly accused based on flawed witness identifications. Keetley admitted in police interviews that he was trying to find his shooters, but denied knowledge of Omar “Creeper” Bailon. Keetley’s surgeon testified that injuries to his hand from the armed robbery would have made it “impossible” for him to pull a trigger. Keetley’s defense also contested the reliability of ballistics evidence that suggested casings from the crime scene matched casings on Keetley’s property.

DAILY TRIAL HIGHLIGHTS

DAY 10 – 3/17/23

• Cross-examination consumed most of Lt. Jose Lugo’s second day on the stand, focusing on the ways in which Lugo disregarded standard operating procedures for the photo lineup with Gonzalo Guevara that led to Michael Keetley’s identification.
  • On redirect, prosecutor Michelle Doherty pointed out a part of the SOP document that describes the SOP as “guidelines” to be used under “various circumstances” – but not all, Lugo testified, such as when dealing with a witness like GG who fell into a coma.

He looks like he's medicated or maybe has some type of disassociative disorder. No idea but it strikes me as unusual. It would be interesting to know what the judge thinks of his behavior / demeanor.
I wonder how any of us might act or look after spending the last 12 years in jail. 23 hours of each day in solitary confinement. Eight of those years facing the death penalty, until it was decided to take it off the table. The entire time claiming his innocence. The lead investigator should be jailed for lying time after time, manipulating the evidence, tampering with witnesses, and overall allowing such a farce to be taken to trial.

I can't imagine how I would respond to this complete travesty of justice, if it happened to me. I'm sure Keetly has lost any and all faith in the justice system, as well he should. I hope sometime soon, this man can get some of his life back, despite all the errors and deception by the investigators, and state prosecutors.

imo...of course.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back